Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well also Lagertha’s taste in men, Ragnar included, has always been seriously lacking. Remember Kalf? And who was the lovely Jarl she was with before that? So at least that’s consistent. Granted she owned both those dudes in the end but still she chose them in the first place. I get that’s a part of her story, but when they shove in a resurrection of some abandoned thread of a story with her and Rollo being involved romantically and turn it into some Maury Povich baby daddy drama poo poo, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really couldn't care less about the whole Floki plotline, it just seems so pointless and unrelated to the main storyline. It sucks because Floki is such a great character and he's so wasted on some weird settlement drama that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with anything.

I think they are trying to show the settlement of Iceland a'la the sagas I guess, but they have too many irons in the fire. What would have been just killing Floki off looks like it turned into an "Oh poo poo, we just killed off the main character and lots of people like Floki so we better figure out how to keep him alive" kind of moment and now it's going nowhere because they are spending too much time showing too little time pass.

What I see overall, is a whole lot of nothing going on. Just a bunch of Norsemen sitting around talking about ambitions and the only plotline I really want to follow with any fervor is Lagertha and Bjorn and co. back in England because Alfred is involved. Admittedly I haven't read the sagas, but it seems like it's following what the sagas say, so everything going on is portrayed as what the Danes and Norse said happened. Which is fine in the end, but drat something needs to pop off. What could have, and should have happened, was the great heathen army running around wrecking England and installing Danelaw everywhere while Alfred is still young and adjusting to kingship, instead we have just a bunch of nothing at all happening back in Kattegat while Ivar beats his dick to the power teat, Floki does nothing on a volcanic island, and Lagertha and Bjorn do nothing while Heahmund ends up going Viking more than the actual Vikings.

Sigh. I want this to be good, and against my better judgment I'll keep watching in the probably vain hope that something will happen, but right now I'm super disappointed that I waited like a year for what isn't really even a new season, in which nothing happens.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still watching this. It's episode 15 of season 5 and I still don't know where the story is going. Nothing of consequence happened yet.

Well, Heahmund died.

But all he did was be a creepy bishop and kill a dude in a church and bam he’s back in Alfred’s inner circle

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jennie Jacques looks like she could put on a plaid skirt and some doc martens and be right at home in Empire Records 2 or some 90s dramedy about 20-something burnouts alongside the usual ensemble 90s movies casts or maybe in a Kevin Smith joint, I don't know why this comes to mind but she has that...rebellious 90s teenager look to me

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/vikings-to-end-season-6-final-season-followup-series-spinoff-history-michael-hirst-mgm-tv-1202528772/

Season 6 will be 20 episodes and will end the series. The same team is looking to do another Viking show for History after that.

I don't know if I'll watch another Viking show on History if done by the same team. Look at what they're doing to this show.

I'll watch The Last Kingdom instead, since I've read the books and moderately enjoy comparing the books to the series even though I hate the actor they got for Uhtred. Alfred's actor is badass in it, though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

For the love of gently caress I waited seven days to see a rare thing in this show, a mano a mano fight, and they pull a loving trick by spending a gently caress ton of time on Lagertha and Judith and Hvitserk with the weird Viking Buddha who really loves saunas—and no goddamn fight.

What they don’t realize is that pulling trailer tricks and leaving cliffhangers after each episode of a bunch of Vikings and English sitting around talking is wearing people down, regardless of cliffhangers.

Get your poo poo together, History Channel

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Guess Frodo doesn’t make it Mordor after all.

Also Judith’s actual death, as in the way it was acted, was terribad

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Harald grew on me the last few episodes, but before that I couldn't help but think, "THIS idiot is going to become king of all Norway later on in actual history?" I mean, he's not really smart at all, or at least the show portrays him that way.

e: Also, how freaking badass is Gunnhild (sp)? Freaking take two arrows during the battle and just snaps 'em or pulls 'em out and keeps on fighting like nothing happened, can keep up with the dudes better than a lot of the other female warrior characters in the show.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 4, 2019

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hopefully the new setting in the Russian steppes revives my interest enough to keep watching. The premier wasn’t terrible, Oleg is a freaking psycho. DirecTV can’t get their poo poo together on episode numbering and recording, the usual Saga episode was somehow e3 and it recorded the premier for me in both a single 2h episode and also two 1h episodes wtf.

Anyone bothering to make a S6 thread?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I thought the two eps were pretty sold overall. I like the Rus Vikings guys, something different besides England/Iceland all the time. Bjorn is an idiot and gets owned by King Olaf if the preview shows anything accurate, gee who could have saw that coming.

But the next episode trailers are almost always misleading as a rule. Remember the episode before the one where Ubba fights one of those brothers? The trailer shows him falling on the ground as if he’s been beaten and the show wants us to think he isn’t going to win and we will lose a character.

But then, Bjorn isn’t a master tactician like his pops so I could see him losing that poo poo

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that bothered me, plus the show uncritically adopting the long-discredited claim that the Rus' "took" Constantinople rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still liking Oleg as a Big Bad, even though he's pretty broad.

I'd have to do a little research but I thought Oleg did "take" Constantinople? Plus in the show he said he took it but couldn't hold it or occupy it.

I mean, the show is pretty revisionist anyway, for the sake or literary/cinematic conflict and adaptation.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Nah, he raided the suburbs outside of the walls, but there was pretty much no way he could get over those monsters. So he just nailed his shield to the gate. The Byzantine armies were all off pushing Arabs out of Anatolia, so they just paid him to gently caress off, and he declared victory.

It might be fair to call that a Viking victory, since they made tons of money by getting paid to gently caress off, and that was their primary aim. Can’t imagine the Rus were a whole lot different.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but that's a pretty far cry from them "taking" the single best-fortified city in the world at the time.

Ragnar vs Prince Oleg in a city-taking contest: Ragnar wins the gently caress out of that poo poo

Ninja edit: Man I miss Ragnar, can’t his ghost come back or something

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

upgunned shitpost posted:

also, I never knew you could execute a dude that way

Somehow seems worse than the blood eagle, at least in terms of sheer brutality

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

I still have no idea how that guy was executed because I blinked. Looked he was catapulted away?

Torn apart by trees that were bent down and let go like a slingshot kinda. He was tied to them so it was a cross between a catapult and being drawn and quartered if the horses were trees

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Thanks, that's very creative!

I still think Jarl Borg and King Aelle got it worse, especially Aelle because he got hung up all blood-eagled from a tree for everyone to see.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like Hvitserk is having a bad case of the Mondays.

I’m sure he will be king soon

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

How did Ivar go from evil tyrant who burned alive his brother’s main squeeze, to Cool Uncle Ivar with the kid?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’m sorry, we need 20 minutes of Hvitserk stumbling around every episode

Pull yourself together Hvitserk, lay off the mead already and call your sponsor

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Haven’t seen last night’s episode but so far the season has been meh except for the shieldmaiden fighting. Nothing makes any sense and it feels like they included Oleg and the Rus for their own sake, they seem to be doing nothing with the Rus outside using them to tease a battle with a united Norway which will take all season to come to fruition. I think it will probably happen given the fact Oleg won’t be expecting to meet a united Norway under one king, and Ivar has no idea that is happening. But given their track record I could just as easily see them bumbling the plot and this going nowhere because they are pretty much writing it by the seat of their pants at this point

I’m still watching but man is it time for the show to cash in its chips before it goes full tilt. Except it it’s already on a crash vector for that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The show crashed died and got buried the moment Ragnar died. It is a corpse operated by pulleys and string now

There was, or could have been, a small chance the show could survive on Bjorn or Lagertha, or better yet Harald. Instead, they shoehorned even more secondary and/or minor characters and have threads going on around them and between them all at once, making it seem even more disconnected. Ivar is useless and too unlikeable a character in general, and his plot line this season is either going nowhere or taking too long to go anywhere. Ubbe is a great actor imho and does really well imitating some of Ragnar's quirks and idiosyncrasies, but doesn't have the charisma as a character to carry the show.

It's sad, they made all the wrong writing choices and we didn't need a ton of new characters in the show's two final seasons to take the focus off the main characters. Bjorn, Ubbe and Ivar ultimately couldn't have carried the show, but Harald, I think totally could have.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Having watched the episode now, Lagertha dying was bullshit, and I’m still not sure who had Bjorn attacked. I feel like it was Harald but can’t imagine why. I’m surprised Kjetll helped Bjorn even after it seemed like Harald possibly betrayed him. I just don’t feel like Harald has a reason even though it foreshadowed with Kjetll asking Harald what he would do about Bjorn, the fucker came to save Harald’s life after all. But Harald is a treacherous poo poo apparently.

I don’t know what the gently caress is going on with Ivar, that poo poo is comedy relief at this point.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

It was Harald. He double-crossed Bjorn and Olaf in their plan to get Bjorn elected, by bribing the other electors. Bjorn could mount a challenge to him. Gotta tie up them loose ends.

I knew Harald would be king by the time Olaf suggested the election of a single king.

That was some treacherous poo poo though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

I knew he was going to be king because it's on Wikipedia.

Keep forgetting that Harald was a real dude

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The most eye-rolling scenes to me are anything involving Oleg, Katia and Ivar now. Tonight’s scene with them was loving ridiculous and I felt stupid watching it, listening to them describe some poo poo a ten year-old would think up. For once Ivar seems like the cool, calm, collected one. Whoever was responsible for writing any of the scenes with these three is a spectacular piece of poo poo.

By the trailers for this episode (or what I believed was this one), I thought we were gonna get Adventures of Bjorn & Erik the Red, but what we ended up getting was the longest funeral ever and then Bjorn giving an absurdly long eulogy after conveniently showing up back at Kattegat at the exact right time for his mother’s funeral.

My wife was in bed by then and I said out loud to no one, “Okay that’s done, please stop talking now.” More than once. Just during that eulogy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My favorite part of the episode this week was the one dude in that village who could fight, looking at the Rus raiding party like, “oh gently caress no,” and wrecking a bunch of them with a large rock before being sent to Valhalla. Bunch of fools with swords and horses couldn’t handle a dude for like a whole five minutes who was basically unarmed

And then the patrol Harald sent showing up like five minutes later, conveniently, all, “What happened here?”

HOW DID Y’ALL MISS THOSE GUYS WHO LEFT THE SAME WAY Y’ALL CAME IN?!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I also enjoyed the episode, though I was hoping more would happen battle-wise. It was still one of the better ones this season by far, and I like Erik. I also thought Othere was the slightly effeminate skinny dude who laughed his rear end off during the Grab My Hair While I Yank It Back Right Before The Axe Falls Incident. I know this Othere was an impostor but it showed him strangling some dude who was not THAT dude so IDK anything anymore.

Majorian posted:

Also Ray "Titus loving Pullo" Stevenson!:neckbeard:

That was Ray Stevenson? drat. I'm slacking on my thespian recognition. I should've figured that out immediately. He was a good Blackbeard.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

Nthing this. Black Sails is awesome if anyone hasn't checked it out yet.

Also really come around on the idea that they should have made Ubbe/his actor Ragnar Mk.II and just run with it. Dude carries scenes.

The Othere stuff is an odd edition this late in the story but they're leading up to a North America segment so whatever.

I'm currently starting a fresh watch through of Black Sails on DTV on-demand, I forgot how goddamn good it is. Starz came a long way since Spartacus.

And yeah, the scenes with Ubbe lately have really smacked of Ragnar, his actor is really good at portraying Ragnar's mannerisms and this fascination with a new undiscovered destination, his insistence this guy go with him to this place, and of course the whole Aethelstan thing is the most glaring once Ubbe says, "You've no idea what that name means to me." This makes it feel like classic Vikings, and I felt myself thinking I'd watch a new spinoff with Ubbe as the protagonist. I'd much rather see exploring and fighting than a bunch of Viking soap opera, and Ubbe seems like he wants to get back to the basics. I really wanted Othere to be THE Aethelstan, I almost tried going to on-demand to seek out older episodes to remember if Aethelstan is actually really dead. But I think in Saxon England, "Aethelstan" was basically their "John"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Vicodiva posted:

I saw a ship with a manually operated paddlewheel???? Please correct me if this was actually a thing in Europe pre 15th century. I know that the technology was definitely in China before then, but there is no documentation that I could find for the technology being used by the Rus or Viking.

Creative license would be my bet without doing the research

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I actually enjoyed this mid-season finale. I was prepared for one in the usual vein of, “We are going to talk a lot about defenses, tease the coming of the Rus, and also tease some intrigue with Bjorn and Harald, but not really have any battle whatsoever and make viewers wait until we resume in 4838295992 years before they get maybe a couple episodes with fighting in them and then end the show.”

What we got was a nice little bit of battle with actual tension, and some big happenings with major characters. They left good cliffhangers there without loving us over by not including any battle scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The show definitely went downhill after Ragnar died, though I still found some enjoyment in it.

I found myself wishing they’d kill off Harald well before they did, mainly because he’s written as a loving overemotional gullible moron whose survival is based mostly on luck; but also knowing that he was a real dude and it probably wasn’t gonna happen when Oleg captured him.

I didn’t give a gently caress about Ingrid and whoever that nameless slave was (I guess Nissa) who double crossed the other slave for apparently no reason other than to get to be co-queen with Ingrid for also no reason. I lost interest in Leif Ericsson’s storyline pretty much around the time Bjorn died and he was revealed to be kind of a dick (I know next to nothing about the real one if he was indeed a real historical person). He seemed honorable enough from what I remember, until Bjorn died and then he’s playing double agent. I really only cared about Ubbe and Torvi, though I was beginning to lose interest before the whole massacre over the beached whale. I almost started to fast forward through the seemingly endless drifting boat scenes—seriously, right when I was starting to think about it, they find Canada, which I thought Erik the Red was supposed to do way later. Ivar’s story arc became stupid earlier in the season and the compassion they wrote into his character was inexplicable after turning him into such a monster over the last few seasons. It was also quite stupid how Oleg’s wife was basically Ivar’s dead wife’s doppelgänger. And about Oleg—why couldn’t he just have had, well, his normal Russian accent? Don’t get me started on Kjetll One Vodka, no idea where they were trying to go with his character and I figure they realized this and concocted this whole idea of him going mad and keeping the whale for himself.

So mainly I was only interested in Hvitserk’s and Ubbe’s storylines, because I like Hvitserk’s actor and Ubbe was so awesome with the idiosyncrasies of Ragnar that I could almost believe he is Fimmel’s son in real life. For Hvitserk the only thing I didn’t care for was the end of his arc, where he “becomes a Christian” because it feels like they had him take the place of a real Danish invader around that time who did this very thing and ended up ruling well in the territory they just handed to him (Guthrum).

I saw no reason for Floki to still be around and just have coincidentally washed up in the same exact spot as Ubbe does later.

Ivar just going back to England seemed contrived and hasty since we knew they weren’t gonna change history to have GHA #2 actually beat Wessex.

As much as I hated Harald I did really like his death, dude went out like a boss.

Well anyway that’s my long, late stream-of-consciousness rant on the end of the series. While it was enjoyable in its own way, it ultimately failed to satisfy. I’ll be looking forward to the next season of The Last Kingdom (if there is one :ohdear: because I’ve gotten past the Channing Tatum lookalike’s portrayal of Uhtred and have read the books, and I feel like Bernard Cornwell put more thought and research into his novels such that they translate fairly well to a television format. In contrast it felt like Vikings just flew by the seat of its pants in terms of basically everything after Ragnar’s death. Vikings is dead, long live TLK.