Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So since the next AssCreed is going to be vikings and I always was interested in watching the show I finally started it a few weeks ago. Being in quarantine and being a jobless hobo I binged through it to the end of the first half of season 5.

Ho boy. I'll post what I wrote in a discord:

I'm almost done with the first half of season 5 and while I like it I don't think it's as good as the first four seasons. There's a whole lot more politicking and all that stuff but it's missing that core of genuine human connection that the previous four seasons had with Ragnar and the relationships he had with the different characters. This season lacks humanity. There are alliances but no relationship feels as genuine or complex as Ragnar's with Athelstan or Ecbert or Lagertha. That kind of stuff was replaced with politics and I think the show's weaker for it.

I read up on some of the thread and I agree that Ubbe and, also, Ivar should have taken the center stage after Ragnar. He and Ivar's actors are so goddamn good at nailing those little quirks Ragnar's actor did with his acting that it's almost eerie. They're both extremely good in their roles and either could have carried the show forward. Bjorn... not so much. He has physical presence but he has no charm. But actor choices aside, there's no real center to the show anymore. What made those Ragnar episodes work for me was how it focused on the man himself and his relationships around him. It wasn't the politics of viking society or the raids or the religion. It was the person at the center of it all and us seeing all that was just a byproduct of being along for the journey. Instead of all that it's focusing on not very interesting politics, intrigue and, uh planning.

I'm still liking the show but there's a massive Ragnar-sized hole in it that isn't being remotely filled. I'm just not getting any feels anymore. His and Ecbert's last conversation was so goddamn great that it even stirred my cold dead heart. And him with his "conversation" with The Seer was extremely gratifying.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm watching it and the problem I have with it is that it has 3 concurrent storylines and they jump between them so rapidly that the drama doesn't have time to breath. You don't spend enough time with any which one to get wholly invested in what's going on - it's complete whiplash. If the sequel series is still a thing I hope they keep it simple like the first four seasons of this show. Focus on that core character and their relationship with the people around them and let that drive the show, not the politics.