Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm very close to just peace-ing out on this series, which makes me sad. It's so weird that the writers thought it was a good idea to retread the same ground as "The Last Kingdom" has been doing almost simultaneously, only doing it significantly worse.

It's disappointing how often the show will open up a new, possibly interesting storyline, do nothing with it for a couple episodes, and then slam the gate shut and go back to England. I was hoping to see something come of their voyage to Sicily and North Africa, for example. That whole adventure could have led to Bjorn or someone else traveling to Constantinople and fighting in the Varangian Guard for a bit. I would love to have seen that. But nope, instead it was over in an episode and we were back in loving Winchester and Kattegat.

Also I love Steven Berkoff, but King Olaf as Viking-Buddha is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Yeah, I'm sure budget is probably a big part of the reason. Still, they seem to have splurged a lot of money on battle scenes this season, and I'm not 100% sure it was worth it...

(and I'm a man who loves his fuckin' battle scenes let me tell you)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Just when I'm out, this fuckin' show drags me back in. I really liked this week's episode. It wasn't perfect, but stuff like Floki stumbling through the cave, finding a cross, and freaking the gently caress out before the volcano brings the whole thing down on him was so good. I'm also enjoying watching the slow but steady downfall of God-King Ivar's theocracy. I'm looking forward to this siege. I just hope there's a reason behind the whole Viking-Buddha nonsense.

Oh and also here's hoping that this is the last we see of Wessex for a while. I doubt it will be, but one can hope.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, that seems to be a pattern with this show over the past couple seasons - a bunch of disappointing episodes, punctuated by a couple good ones, and then unexpectedly strong finishes. I definitely enjoyed this one, although I think Ivar escaping was a mistake. I don't know where the writers think they can go with him next season, but I'm losing interest in him. Which is a bad sign, because I'm a guy who loves his cackling clownish Kefka-esque villains.

Also interesting teaser for the next season. Looks like they might be moving eastward after all? (albeit to Russia instead of Byzantium? Which makes sense)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vakal posted:

Fairhair is currently my favorite character which is surprising since he was such an unlikable rear end in a top hat for most of the show's run.

Right?! I kind of feel like he should have been the new protagonist once Ragnar bit it, instead of Bjorn. (not that I dislike Bjorn, he's just not a great protagonist)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vicodiva posted:

Messing with the timeline of The Primary Chronicle will take some getting used to. Oleg was a Pagan as was his successor who was the prince who married Olga who was the first of the Rus to be baptized. Olga gave birth to Svyatoslav who was a Pagan. Svyotislav was the father of Vladimir who brought Orthodoxy to the Rus.

Yeah, that bothered me, plus the show uncritically adopting the long-discredited claim that the Rus' "took" Constantinople rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still liking Oleg as a Big Bad, even though he's pretty broad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

life is killing me posted:

I'd have to do a little research but I thought Oleg did "take" Constantinople? Plus in the show he said he took it but couldn't hold it or occupy it.

Nah, he raided the suburbs outside of the walls, but there was pretty much no way he could get over those monsters. So he just nailed his shield to the gate. The Byzantine armies were all off pushing Arabs out of Anatolia, so they just paid him to gently caress off, and he declared victory.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It might be fair to call that a Viking victory, since they made tons of money by getting paid to gently caress off, and that was their primary aim. Can’t imagine the Rus were a whole lot different.

Yeah, but that's a pretty far cry from them "taking" the single best-fortified city in the world at the time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ragnar vs Prince Oleg in a city-taking contest: Ragnar wins the gently caress out of that poo poo

Ninja edit: Man I miss Ragnar, can’t his ghost come back or something

I feel like the writers say that to themselves every day.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

upgunned shitpost posted:

oleg's christianity seems to go as far as what he can skim off the tithe

also, I never knew you could execute a dude that way

Oh yeah, that's actually a really old historically-attested method of execution. That's what happened to the 4th-century Roman usurper Procopius. From what I understand, steppe tribes came up with it.

Boring season so far. Some cool set pieces, but that's kind of it. The writers clearly don't have a direction for any of this.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 21, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

hvitserk with the hallucination kill

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. I was fine with Lagertha dying of her wounds after the battle, but that was some contrived bullshit, even if it was PART OF THE PROPHECYYYYYY.

Of course, the dinner table scene with Oleg, Ivar, and Katia managed to beat it for worst part of this episode.

This season is terrible. I hate that I'm going to keep watching it.

Alhazred posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Oleg's accent. Sometimes it sounds like he's from Texas and sometimes it sounds like he's attempting a russian accent.

The actor's from Russia, so I think he's just...doing something weird with it, I dunno.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 9, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I think this season has been pretty good, considering the absolutely trash the last few were. I'm loving all the badass shieldmaiden action.

That part's been good, and I loved the battle last night. I wish the rest of the episode around it was equally good, but boy oh boy, it was not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I’m still not sure who had Bjorn attacked. I feel like it was Harald but can’t imagine why.

It was Harald. He double-crossed Bjorn and Olaf in their plan to get Bjorn elected, by bribing the other electors. Bjorn could mount a challenge to him. Gotta tie up them loose ends.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I knew he was going to be king because it's on Wikipedia.

Yeah, that's one of the inescapable problems with this show: after Ragnar's dead you start getting into less hazy history, where you can say, "Yeah, that plan's not going to work..."

JoshGuitar posted:

So after last week, is the entire original cast gone? I mean I'm sure they'll still show up in flashbacks...but the only original CHARACTER I can think of is Bjorn, and the younger actor has been gone forever. Any remaining side characters from Season 1 I'm forgetting about?

Depends on whether or not Floki magically manages to come back, which, judging from all the references to him in the past few episodes, I think is likely.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I thought a mountain fell on top of him? He seems to be pretty dead to me.

I mean, there seemed to be a cave-in or something after he saw that Christ had hilariously owned him. But as we know through the Laws of TV, we did not see his brains smushed out of his skull by falling rocks and debris, so he's still likely alive somehow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Man, I miss the conquest of foreign lands.

Also, they should never have cut short Bjorn's mediterranean adventure back in the day. That had so much potential.

They could have gone to Constantinople. Or hell, done something with Ivar's travels along the Silk Road. Good lord this show sucks.

The most eye-rolling scenes to me are anything involving Oleg, Katia and Ivar now. Tonight’s scene with them was loving ridiculous and I felt stupid watching it, listening to them describe some poo poo a ten year-old would think up. For once Ivar seems like the cool, calm, collected one.

:agreed:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Not a terrible episode tonight, surprisingly. The relative scarcity of Oleg/Katya weirdness certainly helped.

Also Ray "Titus loving Pullo" Stevenson!:neckbeard:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

I mean this show is so hilariously inaccurate why not have a paddle boat.

Yeah, tbf there's also no record of the Kievskaya Rus' trying to invade Scandinavia either.

I enjoyed this episode nevertheless. I hope Olaf and Ingrid got out okay - Olaf because he's too much fun, and Ingrid because the poor girl could use a break. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Actually these last episodes had some superfast pacing.

"The journey to Iceland will be long and perilous"
*arrives in Iceland

"We must wait until spring to attack"
*birds

It did, but it was extremely uneven. A lot of farting around Kiev with Oleg and Ivar talking about invading, and then getting distracted by Katya being creepy. A lot of Hvitserk moping about, wallowing in his booze-enhanced misery. There's been a lot of meandering, even if for this show.