Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I mean this show is so hilariously inaccurate why not have a paddle boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alhazred posted:

Oleg's accent continues to be completely bewildering.

That has always been a charming part of the show. 90% of the cast have their own awful take on the Viking (and now Rus) 'accent'.

As far as the show goes, I mentally checked out after Ragnar died. The show lost its charm and it is mostly out of some sunk cost fallacy that I am just watching it while doing menial tasks. Fimmel/Winnick/Blagden along with Rollo/Floki were the real core of the show, and the next generation just has no charm. Between Viking politicking and fairly silly battles, it just is hard to feel engaged with anything on anything but a superficial level.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
edit: The whole show is on amazon, but if you haven't finished it and are for some don't want to be spoiled, than flee this post faster than Vikings off of Greenland.

Honestly, I am so loving glad this awful show is over. So VERY little redeeming moments and god some of the dumbest frustrating to watch writing. I don't even know where to start or really care to go too deep, I think I periodically vent on here each season I subject myself too. So here is is my final, final Vikings season rant.

Lets lead off with Ivar, who is one of the most comically written arcs on this show (spoiler there ends up being none) the almost never ending font of lovely writing on this show for the last three seasons or so. I am sorry Ivar fans, just calling it how I see it. I don't even know where to start on the shows pet psychopath and how dumb and implausibly written his story is. He rules Kattegat like a despot and is basically chased out after a reign of terror. So he lands in Rus land where he not only spared but is basically made the loving chief advisor and potential viceroy or something. It is loving clear as day he is manipulating things but our brilliant other psychopath leader is like 'naw totally cool dog' and so unsurprisingly our poorly written shitbag comes out on top. Not after now being the Viking face of Rus D-Day. I am giving Rus D-Day a pass because the loving Rus higgins boats were so hilarious that it was great. If we are going to embrace the absurd storytelling at least make it amusing.

Then we have the poo poo sundae which literally made me laugh the most this season. He decides to go back, and not only is not loving murdered. BUT, after a good speech people are loving cheering his name on. I mean who the hell looks at the script and thinks 'this parses, this makes total sense'. Led Kattegtat as a despot, was instrumental in the bloody foreign invasion, and makes one dumb speech and everyone is now cheering him on as if he were king. Of course the current sovereign, (the only marginally interesting character left, who coincidentally is from the original cast) more or less is cool with this. Even though he knows, and our loving hero plans to backstab him the first chance he gets. The whole England expeditions is especially hilarious because Alfred not only comes across as a total moron (when he is basically built up for SEASONS as being raised for this whole stupid purpose). Then, apparently the Vikings are not only loving ninjas but apparently are also the best fastest working engineers to build networks of silly implausible traps. Traps that the people who live in the loving country blindly walk into because we have to show how brilliant our darling psychopath Ivar is. Naturally this rear end in a top hat sits above watching all of it like a coward, while the King actually fights. Just more of par for the course so Ivar the terribly written can take the reigns again magically. Oi vey. All of this culiminates in Ivar standing their like a plank and embracing a prison shivving. Then we pause the battle because we need to respect Ivar for some reason, and the Vikings just lose; derp. The joke is you could have salvaged a lot of this by having just made Alfred basically falling for the trap so he could lure the Vikings into his own. I skipped wasting too much time tackling the whole Leif Ericcson plot because it really is not particularly interesting or really that awful, it just meanders along pretty predictably. Eh.

Honestly, the Walking Dead gets a lot of poo poo for bad writing, but the Vikings really has tried to give them a run for their money. I was watching this with some friends and we basically celebrated the end of this miserable journey more than we did watching it. Like being subjected to the TV version of a blood eagle. There is so much more stupid poo poo I could go on about like Viking loving elections, but I figure if you read this much you got the general gist. I mean what fascinates me the most is that I get the feeling whoever writes this must think they are writing poo poo that is really deep and brilliant; they certainly love their agonizingly long shots of silly ceremonies, and dumb long winded self important speeches. The reality is that it has transformed more and more into basically cosplay Vikings, with about as much historical accuracy as that would entail, and topped off with some of the most plodding writing excesses of any show I have watched. I am pretty convinced that Hirst basically lucked into an excellent initial cast and sort of following the Sagas as a framework managed to make an engaging show until he lost Ragnar and it just went too far off the rails. It always had rough edges, but it was carried by Fimmel, Winnick, etc. Once that original cast was phased out, we got the B-team and some of the goofiest self indulgent writing on TV.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 2, 2021