Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
How can a show that got so many deaths or departures right i.e. Ragnar, Rollo and even more minor characters like Jarl Borg get the second most prominent character's death so, so wrong.

Even the fake out was total garbage with them reusing the exact same music used for Ragnar's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
As a character Bjorn would have been able to carry the show but I think the reason they aren't doing that is because Alexander Ludwig is a terrible actor. Not just in the show but in everything I've seen of him. It's undoubtedly the reason 90% of his screen time is him staring at poo poo.

Ubbe / Jordan Patrick Smith should have been what they went with since Bjorn is useless outside of looking cool in battle. He's got the acting chops and he actually looks like he could be a real life kid of Fimmel.

The biggest single critique in my opinion is their unwillingness to move on character wise. They're letting characters linger on indefinitely while at the same time introducing new ones as if they'd made the room for them when they haven't.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Lagertha funeral was really eye rolling. Couldn't stop it during the underwater scene.

Also the writing has completely poo poo the bed to a whole new level. We, the viewers, know that Hvitserk killed Lagertha but Torvi telling Gunnhild that Lagertha was murdered should've immediately been met with a "you sure? she was fatally stabbed by a dude before she left here". Then they could've went the "well she had 30 stab wounds when we found her". But it just skips very obvious dialogue like it's supposed to be some super smart show that can dispense with the necessities (it isn't).

To top it off Bjorn is going to come across as a massive, unlikable hypocrite if he carries through on his vow of vengeance. In the span of two episodes we're going to get to see him go from "I would never want to be in an election if it isn't free and fair!" to salty as gently caress he wasn't gifted the crown, to "I must kill Hvitserk who accidentally killed my mom, regardless of the fact my mom intentionally killed his".

Big lol at Hvitserk doing the medieval equivalent of "i'm not talking without a lawyer" sleep routine though.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

life is killing me posted:

Whoever was responsible for writing any of the scenes with these three is a spectacular piece of poo poo.

That's the most surprising thing of all of this, the show has only ever had one writer, who has written every single episode, Michael Hirst. Who is also the creator of the show and its showrunner. Who has been an executive producer since its creation.

Hard to find someone who has ever had this much control over a major show before, so it would take some CharlieMailRoomChart.jpg level poo poo for anyone else besides Hirst to blame for how bad the show has gotten.