Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why, but I've become kind of interested in watching this story play out.

I was 99% certain GBS goons were going to hate on it because they seem to have a problem with Japan, but it looks like some other people are actually interested in the comic too. Your thread would probably do better over in ADTRW though, but crossover threads can be interesting.

Keep up the good work, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I vote he feels he's too overworked and inters himself in one of those fake Korean jails.

Also, how did you learn all the words for the sound effects, OP? I can never seem to find a good dictionary for those.

Edit: Also, raw egg and rice is delicious, as is raw egg and ramen.
Natto - not so much...

Why'd his face get cut into two panels?

More edit: They should throw the narrator on TV, he seems to be pretty good at debating. The protagonist mostly just ignores him though, so maybe he's not so well-suited to debating.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 13, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Life. Of. Job

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Marry into wealth and opulence

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I'm mostly expecting him to logic his way into not doing anything because any murder is too much work

japanese culture in a nutshell

I'm mostly expecting him to logic his way into starting to go to the gym so he perform murders, getting a job to afford murder tools etc. He's already begun to appreciate life and think about the lives of others.

I'm pretty sure we accidentally put him on the path to living a fulfilling life, and the other path was the one where he snaps and kills everyone.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Is all the Japanese written with this awful handwriting? It looks impossible to read. Kudos to you, OP.

Or maybe this is just very advanced calligraphy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

onsetOutsider posted:

Absolutely not lol. It *is* slightly legible but it wasn't worth scribbling some terrible illegibke poo poo in there. it's just the man being worried about the lady. I guess it's weird and funny that he also calls her "granny" but that's it

I've been meaning to ask: how do you find the transitions for the gion? Is there a good dictionary?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pawg From Produce posted:

It doesn't even occur to him to think that the poison drink can guy left a mark on history. No, if nobody remembers my name, knows that it was I, me, me, who did it, it's worthless.

He left his mark on Wikipedia, yes; but history? Dunno. Even our wannabe murderer protagonist (antagonist?) hadn't heard of him until late into his murder search.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How many times has he eaten today?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The OP is doing God's work.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hot Stunt posted:

Old man won't find anything because there's no way the NEET uses IE.

Maybe this comic is actually set in Korea.

Every time I let someone here use my computer, they always minimize the open session of Chrome so they can open IE.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 24, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

I think Hot Stunt nailed it above. Dad only recognizes the IE logo as "the internet" which the son never actually uses.

He's at least computer-savy enough to know how to look at the history though, which puts him miles ahead of other people his age.

Also many other people at any age. :sigh:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 25, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Negrostrike posted:

As amusing as that would be, I don't think he'd be able to have much contact with any other prisoner during his time.

In Japanese prisons, you live like a loving robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF6eAKPtRQ

Oh, so not much different than working in Japan.

I really thought he was going to say he killed them - by driving them to suicide. But I guess that's what actually happened so.

I'm glad whatever he tried didn't work.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what they would do if tohru or anybody just came up and said "pls to imprison me, i would like to be a convict"

Can you check into jail.

I'm pretty sure that was an episode of something I briefly watched once. There were some homeless people or something that were in jail for a bit and refused to leave because they had four walls, a roof over their heads, and meals, but they had to commit a crime to be there.

I really liked the parts where you can see what the detective is thinking and what Touru thinks the detective is thinking, and they don't line up at all, haha.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

i appreciate that he still has done literally nothing in this entire story

unless you count lying to the police as "doing something" i guess

That's not true, he also Googled "buy poison"

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Steak posted:

I localized a Kansai dialect gag, sue me.

I was just about to steal your thunder, OP:

You did a better job.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, OP, I was too lazy to say it before, but thanks for the tips on the sound effects dictionaries. As you can see, I have made no use of your help. :eng99:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

Tohru really didn't count on going to prison sucking.

To be fair, I think he knew that. He said he didn't want to go to prison when he realized he'd need to get caught or he'd never be famous.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Japanese society works like in anime. Once he joins up with a plucky team of adventures, all his past crimes will be absolved and he'll be fully committed to the cause of justice, but without losing his bad boy attitude.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

brb smuggling a morningstar inside a cake my anus into a prison

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Hell yeah, 2019.jpg. Also potentially a sweet avatar.

死ぬほうが増しだ。:zoro:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

But this is Japan a super advanced nation!

(Note in Japan they still use things like Fax machines for placing lunch orders at work)

You can still buy floppy disks in any store.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Given some of the experiences I've had reading out orders over the phone this is by no means a bad thing. Some places are doing online orders, but that can be a crapshoot outside of major chains.

Just use a scanner.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Steak posted:

u know what, while googling about this i found a japanese blog that's a guide of how to live after running away from your family at age 16, and theres an article seriously discussing in depth the pros and cons of killing your parents.... lol this is crazy. it seems to be entirely genuine

What are the cons?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't make me post more subpar translations of my own, OP! I'm warning you!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xaintrailles posted:

Genuinely disappointed we didn't get 30 panels going in depth on the prison canteen menu.
Still, now there's a whole world out there to eat natto in.

(ty OP)

Considering how bad regular natto is, I can only imagine prison natto...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the NEET has still got his priorities straight!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Resting Lich Face posted:

I'm not sure. The author seems to be less predictable than that.

He's destined to become a magical girl.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is where we find out that the NEET stole that woman's purse and let the thief steal counterfeit money.

At least he got a steak before getting robbed.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Steak posted:

tl;dr: im localizer scum and you're forced to deal with me converting yen to dollars every time

I found recently out that they don't have pokédollars in Japanese Pokémon, they just use yen, which is kind of boring. :japan:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

maybe she's surprised it was so low

I'm pretty confident she knows she's being scammed and knows he stole more.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ムカッ💢

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The gloves give him a bonus to pickpocket.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like how he was apparently too afraid to steal the whole envelope of money, but taking the envelope out, taking some money out of it, and putting it back was somehow easier.

I liked him better when he was some smart, but insane guy in prison. Falling for that girl's weak manipulation to protect his masculinity is kind of disappointing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aino Minako posted:

He should punch him in the face anyways just get back at him, (maybe,) for the other bad thing he possibly did, (not the robbing)

No, I like the new leaf Tohru.

Also, his punch was what got Tohru's life potentially back together.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

"soon" was two soons ago! It's almost been an entire moment!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I empathize with the NEET here. I wasn't in prison but I lived in Eastern Europe for a few years and when i got back i immediately spent way too much on a big basket of snacks and dr pepper and pizza hut and similar. Lets see if he, like I, becomes violently ill as his system is no longer expecting trash!

I also become ill every time I go back to the US and try eating the food.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, it's pretty good. But do you know what would be better? more.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, yes, that's the good stuff.
Keep the NEET flowing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bookmarked and voted 4.