Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comedy webcomic from Japan, where comic publishing is so crazy common that independent (unpublished) webcomics are generally extremely unique creatures, to say the least. Its vibe matches this site's pretty dang well, so I believe it fits here. Since it contains SUPER in depth and long winded analysis of real life issues (such as, the best way to murder someone and become a famous criminal), it's certainly not lacking for topics of discussion either.

The original updates 1+ panel per day so like, this is fine too as far as I'm concerned. Translated/edited by me. I'll post whenever I feel like it. Once a day minimum is the goal. Also one "panel" is here defined by the horizontal panel gutters.

If you read Japanese, please enjoy the original webcomic. You can find it by searching とあるニート

READ RIGHT TO LEFT

Mod edit: please check out the original author's Patreon, as he has been made aware of this translation and is being kind enough to let it continue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zmcnulty posted:

I've unfortunately read up to episode 6 (it ends at 7)

To be honest, I'm not sure how you read it without realizing that there's hundreds of pages past the NEET part. You're right about the general quality of the first 6 parts. They essentially amount to a scathing critique of NEETs. Then depending on the path you choose, it becomes a completely different story (both paths have hundreds of parts to them and the site actually has 3 currently updating branches.)

Let me put it into perspective. The site contents list a total of 600 (extra length) pages worth of content. He is a NEET for 6 of them, 7 if you choose the joke choice which ends right there.

So.... shrug.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For reference: 1 "page" is about 3x as much as what I've posted. They are super tall pages.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

how do these people survive without any sort of income?

We'll get to that, but... parents and welfare.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zmcnulty posted:

but I'm not sticking around to find out.

Thanks for letting me know...?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got lazy in the last panel... can you tell?

Stanky Bean posted:

There is a japanese onomatopoeia for the sound it makes when you sit up?

There's a sound for EVERYTHING. Even if it's a fake thing like using telekinesis, there's a sound for it.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol Mega64 you went really hard on that joke.

pram posted:

this isnt funny gas

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fyi, this is the end of the first page. Im not really sure how important this is except to help approximate the length of what I mean by a "page." They're all exactly 5000 pixels tall, so I don't think theres any particular reason for me to mention it besides this time. Essentially it's vertical forever and ever into the abyss. I'll never edit the last panel of a page together with the first panel of another though. That's just weird.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akratic Method posted:

I need to know what the sound of telekinesis is.

イイイイィィイイイィィ

It kinda looks like a field of solar panels the way I did it, but it's usually something like that.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 2, 2018

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The beginning of the end for Tohru's argument.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who wants to guess how the narrator will trash Tohru's logic?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The plot's heating up.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know I misspelled squish, but it was too annoying to fit all six letters in there, and who really gives a poo poo anyway?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread, but I'm confused, does this story branch out with multiple choices?

Yes. We are just about halfway to the first choice. There aren’t many choices but the ones that exist seem to be of monumental importance. When theyre not just jokes, that is. The first choice will essentially decide which of 2 timelines we’ll be looking at. They each go on for 20x the length of what ive posted so far, with multiple branches in each. What I’ll do is briefly explain what I know about the choices, as I’ve read much of one branch and not the other, and then do a quick vote.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The riveting drama continues!!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The first appearance of another person!

edit: wait i forgot about those normies going to school before. nvm this page isnt special

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Since we're coming upon the last page before the important choice, I might charge through to it quickly because I'm really excited to find out which direction we'll be taking Tohru for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

edit: oh crap, i just realized i missed a sound effect in the first panel there.
im too lazy to fix it.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 13, 2018

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Next update is voting, by the way. Probably in the next couple hours. Get hype for choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IT'S TIME TO VOTE

1 - Continue being a NEET
2 - Get part-time job
3 - Begin life of crime

The first choice is crossed out cuz it's a joke "game over" that's only a single page and I'll do it regardless as a bonus update whenever. The other 2 choices are both legit tho, so we're choosing between those.

Here's generally what I know about the choices. They're kind of like an A-side and a B-side of the site, the A-side (part-time job) being the sort of "main" story, since characters from that are on the site's banner and all, but the B-side (crime) still gets its fair share of love (and a branch of it is still currently updating). It just so happens that I've read about 75 pages of the "crime" branch, so I know that it is both hilarious and also absolutely not what you probably expect or wanted. I can only imagine that's also true for the other branches.

For reference, here is pretty much how the storyline is branched, based on the menu:

neet leads to crime or job. (and, for scale, this has been 6 pages)
crime ends after 101 pages, OR at some indeterminate point in the middle, a mystery path branches off that is still updating at 118 pages.
job is still updating at 223 pages, and also some mystery path branching from it that's still updating with 150 pages.
in other words, there are 3 known active paths and 1 "complete" path

Does that make sense?

PLEASE BOLD YOUR VOTE.
I think I'll probably give it 24 hours or so.

Edit: the thread chose path 3 (of loving course), so continue on for that one, which is currently ongoing. To see path 2, which is also ongoing with far fewer pages released, click here.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 17, 2020