Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hiya, found this thread via the SA ad. This comic rules, and Steak rules for bringing it to our world. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

And then he'll publish it one panel at a time...

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

It's actually a smart thing for him to still be lovely about. Many of his experiences has made Tohru grow and change his attitude, but I don't think there's anything that's challenged his views on women or intergender value and respect.

Hopefully that's the case and it's not an expression of the author's distastes. :v:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What's the Japanese word for weed, anyway? Paato?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Do we know how old Mii is?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I like how Nii has become like a professional manga reader or something. Everyone wants to know what some old burnout thinks of their struggling shonen masterpiece.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Kami wa
Shin da

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Do whatever's easiest. Japanese have onomatopoeia for everything, so it's a little silly in to have sound effects for "putting on socks" in English, but you do you.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Oh I've totally had this discussion with myself. I identify with these last three panels more than anything else in the entire work.

And you can definitely go back to sleep. If you haven't done anything other than use the restroom or get a sip of water, that warm bed is always ready for you.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

pay attention, goons

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Aino Minako posted:

This advice seems rooted in some of the old fashioned toxic Japanese work culture.

“I am unhappy with myself and having trouble coping.”
“WORK SO HARD YOU DON’T THINK ABOUT IT ANYMORE!”

Not just that, but also how Oda seems to run his own life.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is the original author aware that there's an ongoing English translation?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are these real, or are you drawing these yourself and trolling us? :magemage:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Next panel is probably like "well I bet I can beat this boss in ten minutes right"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

They're both equally uninspired takes on western fantasy.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Spek posted:

Is... is that not everyone? I certainly feel that way. Or afraid they'll think I'm stealing things at least.

Uh, no? What kind of hellish capitalist brainwashing would make someone think that minimum wage convenience store workers give a poo poo if they buy anything.

End of Shoelace posted:

There's a phenomenon in Japan where a lot of people feel too guilty to leave a store without buying anything.

Well, other than that one.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I hope old neet winds up with a copy of capital. That should set us for couple hundred panels

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Did this just become a Nichijou skit

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Wild prediction: He forgets that it's his day off

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

Very interesting, Tohru, I'm sure you're the first person to think of such things. It's not like you could fill a small library with books written by experts on criminal psychology and the effects of punishment on recidivism. Just continue constructing your own narrative and reaching your own 10-second conclusions on these topics because, once again, you are literally the first person to ever to think about them.

So much anime that goes down the pop philosophy angle is this, lol. High school level "smart enough to think about and abstract a thing, not smart enough to actually do research or think outside of one's own experiences"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm sorry, could you break this post up into about 15-20 and spread them out over the course of a couple of weeks? This much content at once spikes my heart rate.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Master stroke. All of the chat speculation really lined that one up.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Male Tears posted:

Fava Quest will turn out to be this universe's Star Citizen.

But fava quest has QA

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

NEET is the kind of person who drives without any shoes on.

Having done this once, it's kinda gross because we forget all of the crap on our shoes when we drive normally, and who's ever cleaned off their gas/brake pedals in their life.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I imagine finding bugs gets 1000x more complicated when there's a physics engine, too. Multiple objects interacting at varying speeds, xyz axes, accounting for things like inertia and collision, etc. Like how you even bug test for something like Kerbal's is crazy.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

How weird is Amanuma as a Japanese name

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Amanuma is too fast for this show. He needs to spend at least 20 updates getting to the question before asking it!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

And nothing of notable incidence happened.

Where's it go from here? Does Touru fixate on Princess's creepy questions toward his supervisor? Does he start riding the train to work on some kind of molester-hunting quest? Will he suddenly realize he's never had a hamburger and go on a mission to find one, only to inwardly think that a thick hamburger looks a little too much like princess and order yakitori instead?

The possibilities are endless.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Remember when crime NEET thought Oda was growing weed, and then immediately sprinted toward the door to alert the cops?

That was a good one.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I, for one, embrace this comic's pursuit of the super-mundane and trivial. This entire arc has been a chef's kiss in wheel spinning, and it's kind of amazing to think the author originally did this one panel at a time and somehow did not get bored of it and jump on another interminable plot. Months and months of these two idiots being real basic about becoming grifters.

NEET is the loving Shenmue of webcomics.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I hope his kid has the same hair.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

There's a big stig on being unemployed/partially employed, and cops are dickheads everywhere. The whole title of the comic, NEET, stands for something like "not in education (as a student), employment (full time), or training."

It's kinda like how all the boomers in the US are hand wringing over people not wanting to go back to their lovely service jobs for eight bucks an hour. It's not because society and labor are fundamentally broken, it's because the youngs are all a bunch of lazy fucks. :bahgawd:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The plot, or the huge gozangas?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

In Japanese, the word for giraffe is "kirin", the same word for a prominent mythical chimera/dragon beast from Asian mythology. It's the thing you see on the Kirin beer label. This isn't a linguistic coincidence. Way the gently caress back in the 8th century, China was actually sending out trade ships as far as East Africa. At some point, they grabbed a few giraffes to bring back to show everyone. Upon seeing them, the emperor decided that these were the legendary kirin (despite the fact that giraffes don't look very similar all to how kirin are usually depicted), so that just kinda became the word for giraffe. As typical in ancient Asia, news of this discovery eventually made its way to Japan and Korea, and the terminology came with it. China has since changed their word for giraffe to something hilariously dry like "long neck deer" but Japan and Korea still insist on referring to giraffes as magical dragons.

This rules. Thank you for sharing

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Can't wait to talk about how dumb Japanese web design was in the mid-2000s. Every now and then I still come across websites for big companies that are still designed around pre-smartphone flip phones.

If he gives it a year or two, he can be at japan's forefront for playing video games on the internet.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Going out for cigarettes blog?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The quintessence of NEET is backpedaling from making a decision that was wholly irrelevant in the first place

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

IIRC, there's a fairly complete collection of Tom & Jerry on the declassified hard drives found in Bin Laden's compound. Everybody loves them... Except me. :colbert:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Has Descartes ever been the boss in a video game, real or imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The protagonist is actually René* himself.

*Desuuta = Descartes

If that's the case, then wouldn't it be more like "Deikaato" instead? :goonsay: Or are you saying the author looked at the word "Descartes" and thought to himself "that looks like it's pronounced Desuuta, yep"