Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

projecthalaxy posted:

he's going to run into the corner and clip out of the prison and achieve 2,147,483,647 murders through murder underflow

I read this entire thread and yours was the funniest post.

The comic and translation are still good though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lodin posted:

Can anyone be arsed to do the math on how much he made per day in the pokey?

About $2/workday.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mr. Steak posted:

i had to reteach myself how to do long division for this update.

You could have just translated it into short division instead...

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BattleMaster posted:

dunno how common or rare it is irl

What's being disputed is whether 透 would ever be used in place of 通 in that sort of context. Not that that's a meaning of 通.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BattleMaster posted:

The thing I posted shows that as an alternate version (listed at the bottom) but I don't know if it's really used commonly

There are a lot of pairs (or triplets) of kanji like this where one is the generic/common one and another is only used to give a connotation in certain situations (e.g. 合う and 会う). Typically, Jisho.org won't give you that information in a clear way, if at all.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xenocides posted:

What are those white towel things for? It is not like they cover anything.

Two different people thought you were talking about the red fundoshi but I am also curious about the white towel tradition.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I can't wait for the time portal that allows the two tohrus to meet each other. Thanks for lining up the NEETs so carefully.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i immediately regret choosing “crime”

You have a funny definition of "immediately"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

lofi posted:

You can, but it'll be Jeff's head and voice on a schoolgirl body. :japan:

The Japanese version of The Fly.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I will never keep my toothbrush in the same room, but gently caress not having a sink right near the shitter.

In Japan it's relatively common to have a sink as part of the toilet.

dirby fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 17, 2019

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Isawa Nagare more like Izawa Nagare, am I right?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
OP read the next panel and it was so shocking he was unable to continue because they kicked him out of the internet cafe.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

simplefish posted:

Here, I'll help

Top left: electricity something something
Bottom left: something something legs
Right: ice? whatever

Microwave
Table
Refrigerator

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Chomp8645 posted:

Anyone else notice that cool shark we just flew over?

Remember this is one of multiple branches.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Neet is drinking Zeno as a metaphor for him not actually
making progress despite small steps.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

cant cook creole bream posted:

I started reading this yesterday and am done now. Mr Steak, your work here is done. You may rest now.

Now eluding everyone: translations!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Needy e-denizens expect text.
Nobody especially, explode thread.
Never emphasized enough: translate!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mr. Steak posted:

maybe i'll decide to start a reaction channel where i'll read jpn manga in front of a camera and film my reaction/live translation in english.

Wouldn't you react before you finished translating the page, thus ruining much of the experience for someone who can't read Japanese at your speed?

Also is there something particularly interesting about your reactions (or would there be because of video making/improv skills)?

I know you're not paying me $50 for my thoughts, and I appreciate the translation work you've done here, but unless you're independently wealthy/have tons of savings, you probably need to get your head out of the clouds while you search for your next job.

Best of luck in any case, and I vote for rewriting the manga.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hot Stunt posted:

All I want for Christmas is the rest of this manga translated.

I translated it into Japanese on the author's site for you.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
"Does it hurt anywhere" is one of those pet-peeve-of-mine giveaways that something was translated from Japanese. "Does anything hurt" is far more common in English but "does it hurt anywhere" is the literal translation of the usual Japanese.

But seriously I appreciate all the work that you do so everyone can read this (and it would take me forever to read this on my own).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Magissima posted:

Look at that box in the background, I'm sure he was going to say "delivery person" because she was delivering some soap from amazon and just cut off because he realized it would be nicer to say her name!

That makes sense. Amazon is a veritable land of soap

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

RBA Starblade posted:

There's only one way to resolve this
There is apparently more than one way to resolve this.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Plant MONSTER. posted:

NEET never gave up
Didn't NEET give up in like 3 or 4 other timelines we've seen?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mr. Steak posted:

he didnt hear the reply noise? goddamnit

It's like you don't know what comic you were translating. Given the choice between more dramatic tension and less, you really think the author would choose "less"?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Black cats are good, actually.
https://www.quora.com/Are-black-cats-considered-good-luck-in-Japan

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

dirby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 16, 2020

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shadow0 posted:

Nii: "I'm left-handed."
Mii: *Shudder*
It's not that bad, but it's probably considered a little weirder to, say, use chopsticks with your left hand in public than the equivalent in the US:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/08/11/national/lefties-push-back-japans-righteous-spin/

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Needless Extracurricular Editorial Translations

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
For help learning Japanese, see the Japanese thread. Note: SAL has very different rules than GBS.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Nah, that's not what she was talking about at all.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
For all she knows, he was convicted of seducing people by giving opinions about manga, and then torturing them.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
How bad does Oda's manga have to be if even she can write a manga far more interesting than Oda's?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shadow0 posted:

Touru...

Surely it's Tooru.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Grevling posted:

Or maybe it's the same one every time.

The one there, Miss Mii's boss, was also at the mixer and shown another time in between I think.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BurningCourage posted:

How in the gently caress did she figure that out? MORE NEET

She's worked with enough killers to tell the difference.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Glenn Quebec posted:

She's trying so hard to be normal and okay with Tohru and he's like, "alright back to business. Let me tell you about the A U T O A N N I H I L A T I O N of my parents. My mother stabbed herself in the throat and my father, haah, well .."

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Ok, I have the NEET statistics.

Mr. Steak (including the part-timer posts) made 752 posts with at least some translation over the 433 calendar days from Nov 30 2018 to Feb 5 2020, covering ~2083 panels and just over 132.5 pages of the comic. With $1362 from Kofi, that's about $10.25/page overall.

He was very inconsistent. For example, from May 20 through July 28, he only posted some translation on 7 of those 70 days, and those 7 days added up to 39 panels (2 and a half pages). But on December 9 and 10 alone he posted 202 panels which probably amounts to almost 13 pages in 2 days.

Eyeballing his posting habits, there seems to be a clear shift in NEET frequency: From Nov 30 2018 through July 28, he averaged about 4/5=0.8 of a page each week. But from July 29 through Feb 5 2020, he averaged something like 23/6≈3.8 pages per week. Over the whole time, his average was about 13/6≈2.17 pages/week.

So far, if we ignore the post on Feb 5 and say Sister Make started translating on Feb 12, they've posted an average of about 2.05 pages/week (as of yesterday night).

In other words, Sister Make better get to posting more NEET to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
There are manga drawing classes in prison and there's a nonfiction manga about that: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-05-02/one-manga-author-is-teaching-his-craft-to-prisoners/.131103