Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It gets worse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gove#Early_life_and_career_outside_Parliament

He was adopted by a working class, Labour voting family and holds himself as an example of what people can become if they only work hard enough because he was lucky enough to get a scholarship so of course it's that easy for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Early Brexmas present Guavanaut, as I've been slacking since April.

All Previous Threads

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pesky Splinter posted:

Early Brexmas present Guavanaut, as I've been slacking since April.

All Previous Threads

I'd like to draw attention to OP's pic in April 2014, a full 18 months before the Event become public knowledge. Truly, a modern Cassandra walks amongst us.

e; whatever happened to Zero Gravitas anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok seriously who the gently caress is this guy and why did you guys let him be in your government? :stare:

He was literally adopted by the head of a fish processing company.

I can only assume he's the UK government's special liaison with BLUE HADES.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Of course she does the thing where she wears her glasses right down the end of her nose. Of course she loving does.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Bruce Schneier and Henry Farrell have written a thing; Farrell has some additional commentary here.

My own thoughts:

1. It's considerably less fluffy than the usual meandering discussion on what deliberative democracy is supposed to achieve, which is nice

2. The paper mainly focuses on Russian disinformation efforts but it's consistent with what we know about e.g. contemporary Chinese disinformation efforts - that pro-government online efforts do not focus on propagating a particular state narrative but instead in creating doubt in civil-social non-governmental institutions

3. This is obviously bad for radical politics (where distrust in mainstream non-governmental institutions is endemic) but Schneier and Farrell don't pursue that angle). A defining aspect of radical politics is the assumption that existing mainstream institutions should be replaced by revolution (non-violent or otherwise) with another set of wholly different institutions, which obviously will win superior trust by virtue of their self-evident superiority. Virulent ideological struggle, as we know, is a great way of engendering shared consensus reality /s... getting from Point A to Point B always has something of a "then a miracle occurs" quality to it.

4. Schneier and Farrell make the obvious point that the apolitical gathering of statistics plays an enormous role:

quote:

However, there are other important sources of
common knowledge that present less obvious
security risks. For example, the US Census was
instituted precisely to provide the public and
experts with a common understanding of the demographics
of the US population, so as to better
aid apportionment of political power and public
policy. Attacks that are aimed at weakening the
Census — or public expectations surrounding it
— may also damage the informational supports of
democracy, by excluding portions of the population,
by reshaping beliefs about the relative role
and influence of different demographic groups
in society, and so on. Mapping out other such
institutions, and an agenda of specific measures
to protect them, presents an urgent challenge for
researchers and policy makers.

This is a great point - it is hard to understate the degree to which e.g. debates over economic systems and ideology in long 19th century functioned in an atmosphere of nearly total ignorance and total speculation about actual conditions of unemployment or wage conditions at large, simply because nobody was going out there to gather hard quantitative data (e.g., Engels simply makes up stuff for pre-industrial conditions in his famous Condition of the Working Class in England - it's not his fault, there wasn't a better way in the 1840s, but it's worth reflecting upon the fact that the immiseration narrative as applied to the 19th century English working class was taken as gospel truth for more than a century despite being generally derided today - the pessimistic school shifted to "well the increase in real wages wasn't that much" since the 1970s)

There are limits to this, perhaps - it doesn't matter how many times one bleats generally-accepted statistics about immigration or foreign aid, people will believe in an alternate consensus reality and that's it - but perhaps it does matter for how inter-elite struggles shake out

5. We should keep in mind, I think, that it is pretty normal for large numbers of people to believe, passionately and sincerely to the point of being willing to fight and die for its ideas, in narratives which their own factional leadership might privately deride or hold in contempt. Even healthy democracies harbour a nationalist mythos - some element elites concede to be myths - and this is normally fine, insofar as these indulgent myths do not stray into the path of the politics that matters. This is a normal part of the human condition and not some special aspect of Brexit Britane; what changes is whether politics is mainly a duel between the elites of each group or a struggle at large.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOyT3ZkUxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRYGRILOxU

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 1, 2018

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok seriously who the gently caress is this guy and why did you guys let him be in your government? :stare:

He's kind of like our Ted Cruz

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

When they reached North Sentinel in the morning, Mr. Chau assembled a collapsible kayak because the fishermen refused to go to the island with him, insisting on staying a half mile out.

Mr. Chau saw some islanders on the beach, paddled up to them and tried to preach, saying: “My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,” according to the note. They raised their bows and he paddled back to the fishing boat.

A few hours later, he tried walking onto the beach with some gifts like scissors and safety pins.

A boy shot an arrow into a waterproof Bible he was carrying.

Another islander, a man wearing a crown possibly made of flowers, stood on a coral rock and yelled at him.

Mr. Pandya, one of the few anthropologists to have set foot on North Sentinel, said these were clear warnings.

The islanders, he said, were saying: “I don’t want to engage with you, go away.”

“If they were so savage,” Mr. Pandya said, “they would have slaughtered him straight away.”

The islanders chased Mr. Chau into the surf. He saw the fishermen far away, standing in the boat, waving their arms up and down, and swam to them.

The last part of the note conveys fear. He wrote, “It almost seems like certain death to stay here.”

But the next morning he insisted on sending the fishing boat away, saying in the letter he had met someone in South Africa who went through a similar experience on a different island in the Andamans and won the trust of islanders only after being dropped off by a boat.

He seemed now to be contemplating the end, writing in the note, “Remember, the first one to heaven wins.”

The fishermen told the police the next morning that Mr. Chau swam to the island. They then went to the ocean to fish.

When they returned to North Sentinel a day later to check on him, they saw a group of islanders on the beach dragging Mr. Chau’s body with a rope.

loving wanker

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:yikes:

https://twitter.com/stableford/status/1068618512808194049?s=19

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
It's Brexit time
There's no need to be afraid
At Brexit time
We banish Poles and let in trade

And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around UK
At Brexit time

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Brexit time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of project fear
Where the only water flowing
Are remoaner loser tears
And the economic forecasts
Are the clanging chimes of Doom

Well thank God we know what's best
For all of you

There are no go zones Birmingham pre Brexit time
Tarquin says that's bullshit but he lies
Where white men never go
Where the bombs are set to blow
Do they know it's Brexit time at all?

Here's to you
Raise a glass for everyone
Here's to them
Do they even read The Sun
Do they know it's Brexit time at all?

gently caress the world
gently caress the world
gently caress the world
Let them know it's Brexit time again

gently caress the world
Let them know it's Brexit time again

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:golfclap:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article219494920.html#storylink=latest_side

quote:

As the years went by and Roberts had a daughter, she would be haunted by a fear that Epstein was still taking advantage of young girls. In 2011, she went public in a paid interview with a British tabloid, the Daily Mail, asserting that she had had sex with Prince Andrew, one of Epstein’s friends, several times when she was a teen.

In her 2015 affidavit, she discussed in detail some of her alleged sex encounters with the prince and Epstein’s other friends, including lawyer Alan Dershowitz. Edwards included the affidavit in the court file as part of the Jane Does’ Crime Victims’ Rights Act case, at which time it became public.

In the affidavit, Roberts claimed that Epstein and Maxwell directed her to have sex with Andrew and Dershowitz and others. She had sex with Andrew three times, she alleged — once in London, when she was 17, again in New York, when she was 17, and a third time, as part of an orgy on Epstein’s island, when she was 18. By law, at 17, she would have been above the age of consent in New York and England, but not in Florida, where the age of consent is 18.

As part of the affidavit, Roberts furnished a photograph of her with the prince and Maxwell, which she said was taken in London.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Bush (Sr) dead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Not Operator posted:

As ever, I want to point out his wife writes for the paper and once published a column for the entire country to see about how sex with your husband is basically another household chore, like doing the laundry. I take this to mean he fucks like he claps.
I have conclusive evidence that Michael Gove fucks.

Wait, no, this is an old document. Very old. It says that Michael Gove ſucks. Michael Gove ſucks aß.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Praseodymi posted:

Bush (Sr) dead

So what

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The Eternal Gammon

https://twitter.com/Sisyphusa/status/1068460309797629953

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mr Gammons sounds like one of the Victorian euphemisms for the devil.

A being composed entirely of hate, anger, and Question Time clips.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/WomenintheWorld/status/1068610623443918848

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I have conclusive evidence that Michael Gove fucks.

Wait, no, this is an old document. Very old. It says that Michael Gove ſucks. Michael Gove ſucks aß.

He fucks as well as he does anything else. He's married to a newspaper columnist who has written multiple articles about how unsatisfying sex is.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

Mr Gammons sounds like one of the Victorian euphemisms for the devil.

A being composed entirely of hate, anger, and Question Time clips.

Add a soupçon of Daily Mail comment pieces and we have my father-in-law

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Then they leave, their fantasy hour over, and they go back to crushing the poor. Do WOTW not understand why men visit dommes?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Qwertycoatl posted:

He fucks as well as he does anything else. He's married to a newspaper columnist who has written multiple articles about how unsatisfying sex is.
He just sorta releases into the bathtub.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Praseodymi posted:

Bush (Sr) dead

Should've taken kissinger down to hell with him.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Praseodymi posted:

Bush (Sr) dead

Ahh, can't wait to watch the cascade of liberals writing essays about how fantastic he was.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Miftan posted:

Should've taken kissinger down to hell with him.
Can't be long now surely.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

TheRat posted:

Ahh, can't wait to watch the cascade of liberals writing essays about how fantastic he was.

Its already started in The Guardian. He was a steady hand when the Soviet Union collapsed apparently.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:negative:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Are you surprised? Just wait until Kissinger goes and they talk about his actions leading (in the long term) to democratisation in South America.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

Are you surprised?

No, but I still despair.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what horrible poo poo did Bush Senior get up to again?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just posted it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

He was head of the CIA, Reagan's VP, and then POTUS during the Gulf War. Rest in piss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lets go with the obvious one of his children though

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Desert Storm, NAFTA, Panama coup to name a few

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I just posted it

I've never been all that sure about Iraq 1. That Killing Hope chapter I read reminded me of a Ronya post - the bits I didn't know about were compelling, but the parts I did know something about (like Iraq's historical claim to Kuwait) were total bullshit, which made me kind of suspicious about the whole thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I've never been all that sure about Iraq 1. That Killing Hope chapter I read reminded me of a Ronya post - the bits I didn't know about were compelling, but the parts I did know something about (like Iraq's historical claim to Kuwait) were total bullshit, which made me kind of suspicious about the whole thing.

He was commander in chief for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death

the cspam thread has some of his greatest hits

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875883

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Then they leave, their fantasy hour over, and they go back to crushing the poor. Do WOTW not understand why men visit dommes?
Maybe she takes all their money, breaks a few of their fingers and drops them outside the JCP.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He just sorta releases into the bathtub.
A dark ritual, in which each of the heads of his active hemipenis sings a song in thirds with itself in a long dead tongue, the lyrics of which reveal deaths and disasters for the months ahead. The bathwater turns black and foams with bubbles which flicker with dark flame as they pop. The urge subsides, and again he can sit comfortable in his human form for another week.