Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ok this show deserves a better OP for season 3 but for the moment I'm gonna have to rip my season 2 thread off. S2 thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844217

Season 3 shows up on Netflix on 14 December. If I read correctly Netflix picked this one up exclusively, the prior 2 seasons attached to one of the Syfy analogues in Canada.

The Basics:

1. It's time travel crossed with secret agent sorts of shenanigans with a particularly horrifying method of accomplishing the time travel part.
2. Holy gently caress they really did go there with the season 2 opener.
3. Vincent Ingram :stare:
4. 027 and 0115 are a toss up for best characters on the show so far IMO. 027 wins for me on based on attitude how well rounded her character is, 0115 is absolutely hilarious and 100% best voice. That kid must be using roofing tar as mouth wash its insane.
5. Don't expect to see any of the future, we've seen very little so far and only indirectly.
6. Historians must have the shittiest deal in the loving universe. Like the worst case of OCD you can think of multiplied a million times over.
7. Personally I rank Travelers along side Continuum, 12 Monkeys and Legends of Tomorrow. Say what you will about that last one but it's time travel and unapologetically self aware.
8. Jesus CHRIST 17 minutes is a killer loving episode.
9. No food is safe around a Traveler. Day old doughnuts, high school cafeteria food, nothing. Shoveling down a sandwich in the middle of a time critical operation. "This is cow's milk...."

Ok that's it for the moment, S2 OP below.

quote:

Hello fellow Travelers, the director has sent me from the future to assign you your next mission. Your mission is to watch Travelers S1 on Netflix. Season 2 just finished airing in Canada and will be on Netflix the day after the Christmas. This is a protocol Alpha mission.

First item, I'm not going to spoil anything in the OP. To do so would be a disservice to you and you'd hate me after you finish it. You may have already picked up on the fact that this is a show about time travel and let me tell you as an expert on time travel shenanigans, this show loving delivers. Sent from the distant future, we're not told exactly how far but it's at least several centuries, humanity has been all but wiped out, living under overpacked sheltered domes on the verge of extinction. We actually see very little of the future but Travelers makes it quite clear that the future royally loving sucks.

Travelers are the conscious minds of humans from far into the future, sent back in time moments before the death of a host candidate. The existing consciousness is overwritten moments before the host's historical time of death using a T.E.L.L. Time, Elevation, Latitude, and Longitude. When timed right (and it isn't always timed right) the incoming Traveler is able to avoid the circumstances of the hosts original death. Host candidates are researched and selected by the current age of near total information awareness, social media, public records. I bet you never thought your facebook profile would get used like that.

Using this information, Travelers have been sent back in time by an entity known as The Director in order to make both minor and major changes to the timeline in order to save the future. I'm not going to tell you who The Director is, or what actor plays The Director. You'll find out eventually. The Director sends back the human consciousness and provides orders via "darkweb back channels" and messengers. The role of technology on this show is goofy as hell but whatever. Messengers on the other hand are loving creepy. While The Director cannot temporarily control the consciousness of an adult without killing that person, a child can be temporarily controlled with no damage to provide Travelers with missions and directions.

Messengers might be creepy, but the process of one consciousness overwriting another is a pretty disturbing thing to watch. About midway thru season one there's a scene where multiple people get overwritten in rapid succession that is all kinds of hosed up. While there are thousands of Travelers operating all over the world, this series follows a team of 5 from their original arrival in the 21st.

Agent Grant McClaren aka Traveler 3468 Team lead, his host life is an FBI agent

Marcy Wharton aka Traveler 3569 Team medic and certified kicker of rear end. Her transition to the 21st isn't a smooth one.

Carly Shannon aka Traveler 3465 Tactician, soldier, muscle. Her host life is that of a mother of a toddler with an abusive husband

Phillip Pearson aka Traveler 3326 Historian. Modified and raised from birth to allow him the capability of memorizing all of history with perfect recall. In things to struggle with, Phillip easily has life the hardest

Trevor Holden aka Traveler 0115 Engineer, and a very, very old human in the body of a 17 year old high school student. Pay attention for one off lines that give away just how old Trevor is.

David Mailer aka Not a Traveler. He's a social worker. I'm not going to say anymore this gets addressed pretty quickly.

The Director
The head honcho, the big cheese. El Jefe. You get no more information than that, other than allmost travelers share a near fanatical devotion to The Director.

Recurring cast:

Ray Green Public defender and purveyor of shady poo poo

Kat MacClaren Wife of Agent Grant MacClaren aka RaceTrack from BSG

Rick Hall Never actually provided his Traveler number, but the leader of a team that is down to its last two members.

Grace Day Guidance counselor at Trevor's high school. Turns out to be one of the best characters on the show.

New for Season 2

Vincent Ingram Without giving anything away, the technical term is an absolute fucker

Dr. Perrow Psychologist hired by Ingram to help with his various phobias.

Traveler protocols:
Protocol 1: The mission comes first
Protocol 2: Never jeopardize your cover
Protocol 3: Don't take a life, don't save a life unless otherwise directed
Protocol 4: Do not reproduce
Protocol 5: In the absence of direction, maintain your hosts life
Protocol 6: No intercommunication with other Travelers unless otherwise directed

Protocol Alpha: Hasn't actually been spoken out loud but seems to mean "gently caress the other protocols get the job done"

Small things to look out for:
Travelers ongoing amazement at regular food
Small lines that give away huge character and world details
Pay attention to some background characters, they may become more important later.

Traveler 0420,

Welcome to the 21st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really like this show, and I strongly agree that 17 minutes is fantastic, probably the coolest execution of the show's premise and a real fun trip. It makes me hopeful that they'll come up with some new real messed up way to use Traveler tech in season 3, on top of all the body possession we've seen so far.

17 minutes really changes the game with how the "who we can possess" rules work, and I think there's some real potential to spin that out further, and maybe change that up by having a "bad" faction just hijacking whoever the hell they want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Will the entire season be dropped on the same day or is it gonna be spaced out?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will the entire season be dropped on the same day or is it gonna be spaced out?

I'm guessing it drops all at once since it's now Netflix exclusive. Thank god because I'll binge every second of it in a straight shot.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/travelers/271433/travelers-season-3-release-date-news-and-more

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This show seems interesting.
I just watched the pilot.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm guessing it drops all at once since it's now Netflix exclusive. Thank god because I'll binge every second of it in a straight shot.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/travelers/271433/travelers-season-3-release-date-news-and-more

It's a full drop. For our Canadian friends, they get both season 2 and season 3 dropped on the same day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Neat, that's cool. Was just asking cause I've seen a few shows on Netflix now where they release it weekly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I should rewatch s1 and s2 because I barely remember what happened.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Show is great, opening scene of season 2 is the greatest.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Neat, that's cool. Was just asking cause I've seen a few shows on Netflix now where they release it weekly.

Those are bought shows they are showing overseas on the same schedule as their original broadcaster. This was a bought show for the first two seasons (although they dropped the full seasons at once), but now it's a Netflix exclusive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drunkill posted:

Show is great, opening scene of season 2 is the greatest.

"gently caress dying in 9/11, thanks"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wormil posted:

Can someone post a good summary video? Does one exist?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The photographer from Just Shoot Me owns the gently caress out of the team.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone post a good summary video? Does one exist?

S3 trailer kind of recaps the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEijpJ9YL0

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Didn't know this was coming back so soon but it's definitely one of my favourites from Netflix.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Not a fan of the Netflix-style full season drop because I have a dang baby and it will probably take me a couple months to get through this, after which everyone will have forgotten about it.

Very happy to see it back though, some really big status quo changes coming up here in Season 3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just wish they'd have made a better name for the bad guys than "The Faction".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Ha, same. It's a fun show to watch in the moment but the overarching plot eventually makes everything swirl together after awhile.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This show's plot would really be an impossible-to-follow mess if they hadn't established the "can only send travelers/messages after the most recent traveler/message" rule.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Caught the trailer just now, oversight of the team is a sensible direction but given how incredibly fast and loose the future has gotten with overwriting people (ala point a gun at them and suddenly "OMG they would have died now we can rewrite" or even looser reasons to take over somebody) it seems like they could save a lot of hassle with one targeted rewrite. I also hope that the Travelers at least try to pass it off as a fake confession made because their loved ones were under threat, even if it doesn't work, and I think it's real lame that magic forget-me-now pills are a thing. It kind of comes across as them walking back a big thing that would have been more interesting if it wasn't walked back at all.

I'd like to see how most of the Travelers react to their friends and family just wanting out of their lives entirely, and losing that connection to the present that they were only ever supposed to maintain as an artificial cover.

Still expecting it to be a fun ride.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I also hope that the Travelers at least try to pass it off as a fake confession made because their loved ones were under threat, even if it doesn't work,

From the trailer, that seems to be what Marcy's done successfully with David, right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NowonSA posted:

Caught the trailer just now, oversight of the team is a sensible direction but given how incredibly fast and loose the future has gotten with overwriting people (ala point a gun at them and suddenly "OMG they would have died now we can rewrite" or even looser reasons to take over somebody)

Wars of the future gonna be bloodless.

Also lol that the sleezy lawyer took the "betrayal" the best. I mean it makes sense but still

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

001 absolutely could not find anyone that gave a poo poo about Philip.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

From the trailer, that seems to be what Marcy's done successfully with David, right?

The trailer also says they give them a drug to make them forget the last 24 hours. That would be a bit less successful for David since he was savagely beaten and you have to explain where all the bruises come from. I imagine they'll all be given a version of that story even with the memory wipe just because the news is out there in the world.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I do hate that drug too, though. I was pretty disappointed in S1 because I thought Grant's wife in the airplane thing was really cool, and the drug undid the potential character development too much. I don't really like memory-wiping in sci-fi/fantasy in general.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I agree, but honestly in this situation for some of them the way the reveal went down in the finale might be a bridge too far. I'm sure there's a scenario where Marcy could reveal it to David on her own terms but it's hard to come back at all from how that went down in the finale. On the other hand I'm not sure there's any scenario where MacLaren could come clean and retain that relationship. The others are less important because Carly really doesn't give a gently caress about Jeff and Philip's reveal was to someone that didn't even care.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It seems like whatever they do to try and erase their memory though that it doesn't fully work and there will be episodes or maybe an entire season of problems because of it. The second that had Carly and Jeff pointing guns at each other sorta made it seems like the director/faction is gonna give him a headache.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lycus posted:

001 absolutely could not find anyone that gave a poo poo about Philip.

No wonder he does heroin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Milo and POTUS posted:

No wonder he does heroin.

They're just eyedrops! Leave him alone!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I don't know what this trailer is you're all talking about and prefer to be unspoiled.

I'd be a little bummed if S3 walks back the S2 finale shenanigans too much.

I was particularly looking for anything to shake up Carly's relationship. She's my least favorite character because most of her development outside of missions is "I LOVE MY BABY" even though she's in a woefully inadequate position to raise that baby.

Having to take care of growing children while going on secret missions might work out in The Americans when you have two parents and some friends to share the load, but it defies reason to believe that Carly wouldn't just put the baby into foster care rather than continually subject it to neglect while she's constantly getting kidnapped or going on multi-day trips.

I know it's been covered somewhat in the show, but even with all that future lottery ticket money it's gotta be suspicious for an underemployed single mom with hardly any friends or relatives to be hiring a sitter five days a week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A little over two hours away. I'm off work tomorrow so I might be able to actually squeeze in one episode before I fall asleep.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Really enjoying this show, but midway through season 2, all I can think of is the end of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Thoughts on the first S3 ep:

Did they have their budget cut ? There was supposed to be a small army of FBI and even larger force of soldiers to attack them but you never see more then 3 of them at once.

The Director curing a child of cancer overnight seems weird considering what we've seen of its capabilities. I'd assume someone in the hospital was a Traveler and made it appear she had cancer until the message was sent. Which is evil as hell but it gets around the 'do not save a life' principle as the daughter was never really in danger of dying. And if the Director can indeed cure cancer it can probably also cause it.

I'm curious to see how their efforts to scrub the info will proceed. Plenty of conspiracy nuts will have seen this prove everything they believe, an actual Deep State !

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hoho, I did my typical heretic thing of skipping around episodes like crazy. I certainly saw some weird writing here and there, but that's par for the course I suppose.

All I want to say for now is that while I would love to see another season, and there's certainly intriguing possibilities on the table for one, I don't know how the hell they top this as a series finale. I'd put the finale at well above the 17 minutes episode in sheer :psyduck: and that's saying something.

I definitely recommend watching this season on top of the show in general being interesting, I definitely go enough of a payoff even as things got amped up in all kinds of crazy directions.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Binged S3. It owns.

P.S. I am so tired

Lycus posted:

I just wish they'd have made a better name for the bad guys than "The Faction".

I liked how dry and perfunctory it was. Like it's characterizing the future. I mean, the future's an AI-led cult where people are numbered and they live off yeast and recycled water. If there's one deviant faction, you can call it Faction.

If there's two, they're Faction 1 and Faction 2.

If you really expect some poo poo to go down, you can call them Faction 001 and Faction 002 because just how many does the Director anticipate?

NowonSA posted:

All I want to say for now is that while I would love to see another season, and there's certainly intriguing possibilities on the table for one, I don't know how the hell they top this as a series finale.

Same. But either way, the finale's very satisfying and now I'm waiting for S4. Canadian Sci-Fi, don't fail me now!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, episode three is fantastic. It’s a self contained one and heartbreaking but so good.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope I can remember the poo poo that happened in S1/2 because I didn't feel like rewatching them.

But either way, I'm looking forward to watching this entire season over the weekend.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Travelers binge incoming!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Accretionist posted:

I liked how dry and perfunctory it was. Like it's characterizing the future. I mean, the future's an AI-led cult where people are numbered and they live off yeast and recycled water. If there's one deviant faction, you can call it Faction.

If there's two, they're Faction 1 and Faction 2.

If you really expect some poo poo to go down, you can call them Faction 001 and Faction 002 because just how many does the Director anticipate?

Y'know, I never thought of connecting it to other future stuff like the numbering. That's a good point. Everything's generic in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Just finished the last episode. It's awesome.