Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Just finished ep 8:

David noooooooo!

Edit: Just started episode 9

Yes! Yes!

Edit Edit: Just finished episode 9

Aw poo poo

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Will you knock it off with the spoilers. it's still sunday

My bad

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just binged Season 3

Goddamn

Exponentially better every season

And the Director continues to be goddamn terrifying.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not sure I want another series, that was such a good ending.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
Trevor :ohdear:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Flesh Forge posted:

The record has to survive into the future for the Director to know about it, they've established that at many points through the series.
It appears as a realtime response because we only see the results.

But in S1 they said that the technology that made it possible to get accurate TELLs was social media. I understood this to mean that stuff recorded and uploaded somewhere to the internet survived hundreds of years by virtue of everything being backed up in the cloud/multiple data centers. The whole blood archive thing seems just like a plot device that they pulled out of their rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I couldn't stop myself from binging this. I didn't realize it was on Netflix now. Very good season. It seems like they took every liberty they could knowing that the season was going to end ambiguously. While that could have easily been a series finale, I hope they keep going. This show is so good. When they got the protocol omega, I figured the director abandoned that timeline, we'd see how the team dealt with the ramifications of that, and then we'd switch to another timeline where they keep going. Maybe that's what they will do next if the show continues. I'm interested to see what's next.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season has been a who's who of Canadian Sci-Fi.

I'd like to see a team on the otherside's day to day, they can't be all bad, all the time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The season felt a little off.
The reveal at the end of last season was mostly just swept to the side, and just lead to a few mediocre storylines. What was the point of giving people amnesia drugs, if they were just going to more or less ignore the drugs not working?
Also, unless I missed it they never explained how the faction suddenly because so strong, and was able to conceal a massive operation from the director, and this is after they were defeated last season.

Overall I thought it was good and I hope we get another season, but it wasn't quite as good as the last one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Unkempt posted:

Was that not an intentional series finale? The "Version 2" thing just seemed like playful "The End... or is it?"-type ending to me.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Haven't quite finished season 3 but gently caress S3E9! I can't believe they killed off the best and most wholesome character on the show. gently caress!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redleader posted:

Haven't quite finished season 3 but gently caress S3E9! I can't believe they killed off the best and most wholesome character on the show. gently caress!

Here lies David. He never scored

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Boris Galerkin posted:

But in S1 they said that the technology that made it possible to get accurate TELLs was social media. I understood this to mean that stuff recorded and uploaded somewhere to the internet survived hundreds of years by virtue of everything being backed up in the cloud/multiple data centers. The whole blood archive thing seems just like a plot device that they pulled out of their rear end.

Since 001 ends up basically overwriting the Internet with himself, the Archive stuff had to have been there from the beginning or we'd have no show, although yes it does feel like it was not something planned back in the first season :shrug:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Since 001 ends up basically overwriting the Internet with himself, the Archive stuff had to have been there from the beginning or we'd have no show, although yes it does feel like it was not something planned back in the first season :shrug:

The Faction didn't exist at the start of the series, though. Presumably the archives were started in response to the Faction destroying data to blind the Director. I assume a lot of the data in the archives is social media info for TELLS.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that The archives were a direct response to the faction. The latter, knowing that the director would use social media and the like to spy on them, has been smashing tech infrastructure in an attempt to blind the director. The archives are a way to guarantee that the data that it needs survives.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Caros posted:

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that The archives were a direct response to the faction. The latter, knowing that the director would use social media and the like to spy on them, has been smashing tech infrastructure in an attempt to blind the director. The archives are a way to guarantee that the data that it needs survives.

Were they smashing tech infrastructure? I thought they were targeting the Archives and nuking them.

So that’s the part I’m confuse about I guess. In S1/S2 it was established that information could be passed to the future via the “Cloud” but now in S3 they tell us it’s actually passed into the future via direct bloodlines. Which was why the Faction was trying to blow them up.

Also I just remembered something, when David woke up/revived he was presumably in that room for a good while, and then Marcy showed up and they chatted for a bit too. All of a sudden David said “there’s a black box here that wasn’t here before.” We know that’s the nuke but … did it just appear from thin air like David makes it sound like? I find it hard to believe that David didn’t notice the box right in the middle of the room in the time he woke up until the time he mentioned it. If it just poofed into the world where the hell did it come from? If it came from the future then that changes everything because the director could just poof boxes back in time with advanced tech already built, no need to send engineers to build them with old tools.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not that the infrastructure got smashed or destroyed, it's that it all (or mostly all) got subverted by 001, which I guess was why the Director invoked Protocol Omega and stopped communicating to the Traveler agents :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Were they smashing tech infrastructure? I thought they were targeting the Archives and nuking them.

So that’s the part I’m confuse about I guess. In S1/S2 it was established that information could be passed to the future via the “Cloud” but now in S3 they tell us it’s actually passed into the future via direct bloodlines. Which was why the Faction was trying to blow them up.

Also I just remembered something, when David woke up/revived he was presumably in that room for a good while, and then Marcy showed up and they chatted for a bit too. All of a sudden David said “there’s a black box here that wasn’t here before.” We know that’s the nuke but … did it just appear from thin air like David makes it sound like? I find it hard to believe that David didn’t notice the box right in the middle of the room in the time he woke up until the time he mentioned it. If it just poofed into the world where the hell did it come from? If it came from the future then that changes everything because the director could just poof boxes back in time with advanced tech already built, no need to send engineers to build them with old tools.

It was already there, you can see it in other shots after he wakes up but before he says anything about it. He just didn't notice it until that moment. They put it in after they shot him while he was out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Unkempt posted:

I'm satisfied with the ending. If they say that was the end of the show, I'm good with it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

X-O posted:

How are you gonna be OP of a Netflix show thread and then gently caress up the spoiler rules? Man I’d be pissed if hadn’t already finished it. Not cool dude.

I didn't realize there had been any hard spoiler rules in place for Netflix. Last year we just played it by ear, so my fault.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The general rule seems to be a week of spoiler tags and then it's open season.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

skipdogg posted:

I'm satisfied with the ending. If they say that was the end of the show, I'm good with it.

Me too, although they could also do whatever the hell they wanted next season including an entirely new cast :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cojawfee posted:

The general rule seems to be a week of spoiler tags and then it's open season.

Isn't it 72 hours?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Rules I know of are basically give it 72 hours and then have at it, I think that's how I remember it being for Daredevil off the top of my head. Guess I can wait a few days to start wildly speculating about stuff.

Regarding the last scene of the S3 finale, what's really throwing me off is that as far as I can recall, Marcy was developmentally disabled and David was a social worker helping her. Then when some rando jerks are about to kill her a Traveler takes over, beats them up, and then has to deal with the complications that result from suddenly being a very competent and self-sufficient member of society. Which come to think of it, isn't a very Protocol 5 approach. The guy who pops into the killer is like "cool, guess I'm off to prison forever now" after he completes his task, it seems like Marcy should have been some really poor taste "pretend to be mentally deficient" stuff if she played it by the book, though of course the whole team was way fast and loose with the protocols basically from the start.

So if we're seeing a fully mentally capable Marcy meeting David for the first time on the bus, my assumption is that's us in the Traveler program Ver. 2 universe with Marcy's Traveler in place already, which would also seem to indicate that our team was sent in earlier than they were in the pilot. Based on that my rough guess for how S4 could go is that we pick up at an earlier chronological date in the timeline (probably very close to when the pilot begins), we have the same hosts for travelers but maybe some or even all of them are different traveler numbers, which gives the actors a chance to show their chops a bit. The team leader is downloaded into someone else instead of McLaren (giving the show some new blood to work with, and it seems like a no-brainer to have that be Traveler 3468 so you can do some fun "same guy in the same time, but played by different actors" stuff. Then right as they're getting situated McLaren shows up and tells them he's the only guy to make it from the last failed attempt, and he's there to lead them and make sure they get it right this time. Something vaguely along those lines.

I mean, that's just some real rough fan ideas there and it sounds plenty intriguing to me, and an exponentially better hook to the next season than this season's "Er I dunno memory drugs and stretch that conflict over the season here and there."

There's other stuff I want to discuss too but I'll wait a bit to just live that tag-free lifestyle. A week seems like a bit much to me personally, but if that's how people want it then who am I to argue.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 17, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Rules I know of are basically give it 72 hours and then have at it, I think that's how I remember it being for Daredevil off the top of my head. Guess I can wait a few days to start wildly speculating about stuff.

Regarding the last scene of the S3 finale, what's really throwing me off is that As far as I can recall, Marcy was developmentally disabled and David was a social worker helping her. Then when some rando jerks are about to kill her a Traveler takes over, beats them up, and then has to deal with the complications that result from suddenly being a very competent and self-sufficient member of society. Which come to think of it, isn't a very Protocol 5 approach. The guy who pops into the killer is like "cool, guess I'm off to prison forever now" after he completes his task, it seems like Marcy should have been some really poor taste "pretend to be mentally deficient" stuff if she played it by the book, though of course the whole team was way fast and loose with the protocols basically from the start.

So if we're seeing a fully mentally capable Marcy meeting David for the first time on the bus, my assumption is that's us in the Traveler program Ver. 2 universe with Marcy's Traveler in place already, which would also seem to indicate that our team was sent in earlier than they were in the pilot. Based on that my rough guess for how S4 could go is that we pick up at an earlier chronological date in the timeline (probably very close to when the pilot begins), we have the same hosts for travelers but maybe some or even all of them are different traveler numbers, which gives the actors a chance to show their chops a bit. The team leader is downloaded into someone else instead of McLaren (giving the show some new blood to work with, and it seems like a no-brainer to have that be Traveler 3468 so you can do some fun "same guy in the same time, but played by different actors" stuff. Then right as they're getting situated McLaren shows up and tells them he's the only guy to make it from the last failed attempt, and he's there to lead them and make sure they get it right this time. Something vaguely along those lines.

I mean, that's just some real rough fan ideas there and it sounds plenty intriguing to me, and an exponentially better hook to the next season than this season's "Er I dunno memory drugs and stretch that conflict over the season here and there."

There's other stuff I want to discuss too but I'll wait a bit to just live that tag-free lifestyle. A week seems like a bit much to me personally, but if that's how people want it then who am I to argue.

Flashback: Original Marcy was only disabled because 001 experimented on her. She was a nurse before then.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

NowonSA posted:

Regarding the last scene of the S3 finale, what's really throwing me off is that As far as I can recall, Marcy was developmentally disabled and David was a social worker helping her. Then when some rando jerks are about to kill her a Traveler takes over, beats them up, and then has to deal with the complications that result from suddenly being a very competent and self-sufficient member of society. Which come to think of it, isn't a very Protocol 5 approach. The guy who pops into the killer is like "cool, guess I'm off to prison forever now" after he completes his task, it seems like Marcy should have been some really poor taste "pretend to be mentally deficient" stuff if she played it by the book, though of course the whole team was way fast and loose with the protocols basically from the start.

Did you skip last season? Marcy wasn't actually retarded, she had brain damage from being used as a guinea pig in 001's consciousness transfer experiments. No 001, no brain damage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Marcy's new personality was improperly prepared because the only social media info that survived into the future showed her to have a normal mentality, working as a librarian, that David was a reporter researching a story at her library etc; it's explained that Damaged Marcy and David created that fake profile info as a way to teach Marcy about social media (I had just reviewed this so I remember). By the time she figured out her host body was brain damaged, it was way too late, she'd already exposed her capacities to David and her doctor at minimum.

Keep in mind that the original Marcy was only damaged because 001 experimented on her; in the new timeline created in the final episode, 001 never was sent back, so he was never there to experiment on Marcy's brain, so she never got brain damaged. It's wide open as to what happened after MacLaren did his jump; the only other action he's shown to have taken was averting the Helios asteroid.

e: f,b :argh:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah yeah I totally forgot that bit about Marcy last season, that makes more sense. Kind of pushes it more into them trying to write a solid series finale too, which is a bummer for me when I want more of this show.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As far as I can find news, the show is neither explicitly renewed nor explicitly complete, so there might still be more seasons depending on how well this batch does :shrug:

e: Luke Cage and Iron Fist were cancelled, but they weren't all that well received so who knows

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Spoiler, whole season. Spitballing ideas for S4:
It'd rule if the director resets the program, new strategy of a Traveler city-state in the middle of nowhere.

Step 1) Secret infrastructure build-out to guarantee the Shelter/Director's existence.
Step 2) Secret city-state construction w/governmental cooperation.
Step 3) Send back every human then a duplicate of the Director.
Step 4a) Begin top-down timeline-influence via policy guidance and science/engineering support.
Step 4b) Directortoday remains in constant contact with Directorfuture, aids in steering the timeline.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if 3468 keeps living as McLaren, somehow still ends up with Kat, and lives a normal FBI life. Then he ends up searching that building and realizes he's about to be replaced by himself.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

It is a bit of a throwaway line but When they introduce the concept of the archives, they mention that it is a reaction to the Faction.

Basically, after the coup failed, the faction started attacking the ways they knew the director would be able to see them. Smash a Facebook server in the right place and suddenly the director doesn't have that information.

Once the travelers knew about this new tactic, the director created a countermeasure, 'backing up' the data with the archives in order to make sure it arrived in a way that would be very, very hard for the faction to mess with.

To which of course, they responded with nukes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding a potential season 4: A complete do-over would probably not work, if it involves a new bunch of characters. That rarely does. Keeping the same ones, for another round, that'll involve some mental gymnastics from the writers. I suppose they have ideas already, with what 9/11 not happening.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding a potential season 4: A complete do-over would probably not work, if it involves a new bunch of characters. That rarely does. Keeping the same ones, for another round, that'll involve some mental gymnastics from the writers. I suppose they have ideas already, with what 9/11 not happening.

I had the same thought and checked it out, 9/11 still went down, or at least we have no evidence to the contrary. 3468's in there with 10 minutes and change before the first plane hits, compared to when 001 was downloaded there with like 3-5 minutes before the plane hit. We're trained to expect someone looking out and not seeing stuff go down in a time travel thing as "hey that thing was stopped" but yeah, he's just looking out on the city being normal like it would have been a few minutes before it the attack.

I'm still a fan of the general template I laid out in my previous post as a way to tackle next season.

As far as a renewal, the marvel shows aren't a great comparison since on top of being a different genre there was the broader "hey this is a Disney property" angle to it. Points in its favor is that it's a sci-fi show on a platform that doesn't have all that much sci-fi to it, especially when only counting Netflix originals. Altered Carbon is the other show in that category, but that's harder sci-fi and must cost way more to make, and hey that was renewed. Travelers is legitimately binged in high numbers as well, it's kind of quietly popular.

I think they wrote a finale that works as a series finale if needed, which in theory almost every show should do just in case, but it's still a really fun premise to explore and it's a rare showrunner/writing team that only has three seasons of ideas for any show, and I feel like that goes double for something high-concept or science fiction based.

Cojawfee posted:

What if 3468 keeps living as McLaren, somehow still ends up with Kat, and lives a normal FBI life. Then he ends up searching that building and realizes he's about to be replaced by himself.

That was the other somewhat obvious possibility I have in mind, though I think that could be an indication of them being the ultimate good soldier. Seems like they're more useful as the X factor and possessing extra knowledge instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skipdogg posted:

It's 72 hours right? I don't really think they can do anything with this cell anymore regardless. And we never saw Ray again, my favorite degenerate.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

He pretty clearly cockblocks himself with Kat so, probably not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

If they go that route, I can see Grant seeking out Carly, Trevor and Philip later, assuming they get the same travelers. But they should probably leave David and Original Marcy with their happy ending and have a new actress for medic-traveler.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In the new timeline, David has a historically-recorded death and is overwritten by a traveler, while Marcy is the normal person/audience surrogate

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

He pretty clearly cockblocks himself with Kat so, probably not.

He did, but time has a weird way of working. They could still run into each other again and it turns out John still never showed up, so she never got married..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
Didn't really dig how this season wrapped up, the show is so close to being flawless but there's always these little niggles I have.

001 transferring into the wife beater cop was blatantly obvious, I know the team was under pressure and whatever but but they really should have been more suspicious of him. I guess I should give them a little more credit as I don't think they knew he was in charge of the faction yet, but it still felt off.

MacLaren overwriting himself 17 years before and justifying it by saying he was saving Kathryns life was laughable, but the team just shrugged and went with it.

Philip kept seeing different timelines but it didn't end up going anywhere interesting, I guess the "I only see one timeline" line was the climax to that? ehhh, pretty underwhelming.

Why did the LASERS turn off after the bomb was diffused? Why would anyone spend time implementing that functionality? I know, TV show. But it did make me lol.

Flesh Forge posted:

In the new timeline, David has a historically-recorded death and is overwritten by a traveler, while Marcy is the normal person/audience surrogate

That's the best option, David is awesome and I wouldn't want him back to being unaware or written out of the show.