Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that stuff Caros, reminds me of some elements from the game Zero Time Dilemma.

I'm not against a reboot resulting in us following a mostly new cast of travelers, or the same travelers in different bodies, since that would make sense, but I'd be sad to see the actors put out of work like that. It's also very rarely done in a show, I can't even think of an example of that level of recasting off the top of my head, usually it's only a few people leaving and being replaced at a time, probably 3 at the absolute most. I guess the top of my head example would be 24, which had a core cast but they'd get killed off over time and new characters were always introduced.

If you think they're going to get rid of Maclaren you're out of your mind, Erik McCormack is a producer on the show and by FAR the biggest name attached to the show. You absolutely keep that guy involved in a lead role as long as this show is in existence. Everyone else doesn't have complete immunity of being written out of the show, just usual "I've been on the show for awhile" immunity, which is typically enough but with how S3 ended might not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

NowonSA posted:

I like that stuff Caros, reminds me of some elements from the game Zero Time Dilemma.

I'm not against a reboot resulting in us following a mostly new cast of travelers, or the same travelers in different bodies, since that would make sense, but I'd be sad to see the actors put out of work like that. It's also very rarely done in a show, I can't even think of an example of that level of recasting off the top of my head, usually it's only a few people leaving and being replaced at a time, probably 3 at the absolute most. I guess the top of my head example would be 24, which had a core cast but they'd get killed off over time and new characters were always introduced.

If you think they're going to get rid of Maclaren you're out of your mind, Erik McCormack is a producer on the show and by FAR the biggest name attached to the show. You absolutely keep that guy involved in a lead role as long as this show is in existence. Everyone else doesn't have complete immunity of being written out of the show, just usual "I've been on the show for awhile" immunity, which is typically enough but with how S3 ended might not be.

I think changing main characters is limited to British shows like Misfits, Being Human and Game of Thrones. Doctor Who is an example too, but I've never seen it.

The changes are upsetting for the first few episodes, but it's grown on me. I'd like to see it happen in more shows because it makes the story more dynamic. Nobody is safe, and the narrative doesn't have to bend over backwards to allow the entire cast to show up again and again.

I didn't know McCormack was a producer though. You're right that it makes sense for him to stick around.

Anyway, this isn't a hill I want to die on. Travelers has been a fun experience so far, and I'm sure they'll come up with something good for season 4 too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If they completely change the cast then I will miss Trevor the most. I am not sure how much of it is the character getting the best writing, and how much is Jared Abrahamson being one of the best actors on the show. But the character and his stories have consistently been the best parts.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Trev and Grace should get a sitcom spin-off where they both live their protocol 5 loves, but are forced to live together due to protocol theta. Grace, on a daily basis, tries to Trev in a very 027 way, and he has to remind her that she is his guidance counselor. Canned laughter ensues.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Whatever happens, I'll be bummed if they bring back the old cast. I understand why they would because that's how most shows roll, but I'd like this to be an actual reboot. Mac, Marcy and co. were cool, but they got all the development they need. Bring in new faces with new problems.

The problem with that is that Canada has already used all their scifi actors on this show.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We haven’t had Roger Cross yet, have we?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Or Zoe Palmer.
(What? I miss Lost Girl)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Caros posted:

Quantum suicide stuff

Reminds me of the movie The Time Machine. Alexander finds his answer from the Morlock that “you are the inescapable result of your tragedy”. He can’t save his fiancé because then he’d have no reason to make the time machine to go back and save her. The universe will find an infinite number of ways to kill her to make sure there isn’t a paradox.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Caros posted:

They can push that rock up the hill as much as they want, but they will never create a timeline for themselves that wouldn't have created them in the first place.
I mostly agree with this, but I don't think the rules as stated prevent them from fixing the timeline in such a way that the director never existed.

The problem is they can only do that exactly once, because afterwards there's no show. So really the unseen force keeping the apocalypse happening in the future ("God, Time or Fate" as Quantum Leap would put it) is Netflix.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Donnerberg posted:

I think changing main characters is limited to British shows like Misfits, Being Human and Game of Thrones. Doctor Who is an example too, but I've never seen it.

Babylon 5. The Office (US). That 70s Show. Etc.

Game of Thrones is an American show with a mostly British cast.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Sorry. In my ignorance, I thought HBO was a British company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Donnerberg posted:

Sorry. In my ignorance, I thought HBO was a British company.

HBO has often worked with the BBC or other British television to get shows made. That was how they made Rome I believe.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, they like to throw around the term quantum, so presumably any timeline that results in a paradox ceases to exist. As a result, there can never be a paradox because any timeline that would produce one just doesn't exist. In a way it takes a way your free will, but in another way you are totally free to create a paradox, you will just cease to exist as a result.

It's like a quantum bogo-sort in computer science. To sort a list, you quantumly randomize it. When you observe it, if it is not sorted, destroy the universe. The sort is always successful because if it weren't successful the universe wouldn't exist anymore.

E: I also presume that the director has some quantum processing that allows it to essentially observe multiple decision trees and their impacts, and so protocol omega is the "destroy the universe" step of the quantum bogo-sort.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

latinotwink1997 posted:

Reminds me of the movie The Time Machine. Alexander finds his answer from the Morlock that “you are the inescapable result of your tragedy”. He can’t save his fiancé because then he’d have no reason to make the time machine to go back and save her. The universe will find an infinite number of ways to kill her to make sure there isn’t a paradox.

And the Legacy of Kain series - time is a river, throw in a pebble and it might make some ripples, but it keeps flowing nonetheless.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sivart13 posted:

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think the rules as stated prevent them from fixing the timeline in such a way that the director never existed.

The problem is they can only do that exactly once, because afterwards there's no show. So really the unseen force keeping the apocalypse happening in the future ("God, Time or Fate" as Quantum Leap would put it) is Netflix.

I think it could be possible, but the issue with it pretty much boils down to Helios.

In their timeline, Helios was absolutely, positively what hosed everything up. Everything else they did appears to have been minor fixes in comparison to making sure an asteroid doesn't gently caress up the majority of earth. But when they travel back and fix it, the diversion of Helios results in only minor changes to the future, despite the fact that it should have so drastically altered the timeline as to be unrecognizable.

The theory I propose is that in the majority of cases, Helios being diverted resulted in a better, or at least so radically different world that the travelers would never have been sent back. They themselves expected there to be a good chanced that they would cease to exist, after all. Most of the worlds created by the drastic altering of the past go on with their positive outcomes, but as far as the travelers are concerned, it didn't work. They can't observe universes in which it worked (because they wouldn't exist), so they can only ever see a world where poo poo is just as bad as ever.

It makes sense with the progressively more absurd and dumb ways humans keep loving up. You averted the asteroid, well now someone makes a singularity thing that destroys europe, producing the same bad future. Stopped the singularity? gently caress you, nuclear war.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I really like this theory, and I'd love to get an architect from the Matrix-style info-dump full of time-words explaining as best they can how all this time travel stuff has been working all this time, with parallel quantum realities created and whatnot. You can't really make time travel make perfect sense, but I'm down for them to give us a character giving what's basically a 10-15 minute powerpoint presentation on how it works in the show's universe. Throw in some flashbacks to what the team did while we're at it.

And hey, if you get that parallel reality explanation out there now you can bring in new antagonists with travelers figuring out how to hop between explicit timelines and not just forward/backward. Like, the Vers. 1 timeline we've seen so far is properly screwed, so maybe some travelers from there that make it through what was looking like an outright apocalypse situation get bitter and figure out how to get into the current vers. 2 "not already screwed" timeline, which might just be as simple as normal time travel back in time. Then they're bitter and pissed because the Director abandoned them, conflict ensues. The extra credit option is that some of them are from the current main traveler team.

Have basically the rest of the living team (except possibly Trevor due to their bad brain issues) pop back in to their same hosts like Maclaren did, only they've lived like 20 years in the hell timeline and it turned them evil. Then since I never get tired of pitching "Same traveler but in different bodies" the vers. 2 team of the same travelers comes in with different hosts, and now Maclaren on top of being an advisor to guide this new team also has to deal with torn loyalties between this fresh-faced version of his time traveling pals and the ones he already knew who have been through all the poo poo he has, and then 20 or so years of extra awful poo poo.

Just loads of ways you can go with another season, I've been on the fence since season 3 wrapped up pretty neatly, but if even I some schmuck on the internet can keep coming up with ideas that I want to see, I have to think a proper writing room can make some magic happen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NowonSA posted:

If you think they're going to get rid of Maclaren you're out of your mind, Erik McCormack is a producer on the show and by FAR the biggest name attached to the show.

So when they call him "boss"...

Oasx posted:

If they completely change the cast then I will miss Trevor the most. I am not sure how much of it is the character getting the best writing, and how much is Jared Abrahamson being one of the best actors on the show. But the character and his stories have consistently been the best parts.

I could watch him eat corn all day. (NOT SEXUAL)

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 2, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I always thought there might be a tragic possibility: an oversight of the programmers that the Director was incapable of considering any possibilities where it did not exist, and that by creating it and following it they ironically locked themselves into disaster. That it's effectively blind to any universe in which it is not created. McLaren's team, by disobeying occasionally, is the only one that nudges things better because they do things the Director cannot, by it's nature, even consider.

There's also the terrible possibility the Faction is right in principle but wrong morally and in their execution of their goals.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Whatever happens in the next season I hope they give Leah Cairns something better to do. Like hosting 0027.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CeeJee posted:

Whatever happens in the next season I hope they give Leah Cairns something better to do. Like hosting 0027.

I was always hoping she'd end up in the know about the whole thing. She was suspicious so many times, but it never fully clicked and the times where it was falling into place, it made for an adversarial relationship.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Donnerberg posted:

For the show, the program failure probably means that the protocols will be different next season, to set up new challenges for the Travelers instead of repeating the moral dilemmas and family turmoil they got from their previous protocols.

Whatever happens, I'll be bummed if they bring back the old cast. I understand why they would because that's how most shows roll, but I'd like this to be an actual reboot. Mac, Marcy and co. were cool, but they got all the development they need. Bring in new faces with new problems.

I mean as long as Trevor is there, I'll be ok.

Comrade Fakename posted:

We haven’t had Roger Cross yet, have we?

"Why don't we just brutally murder every rich person? Oh poo poo, wrong time travel show."

The Director: "Hmm...go on..."

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 2, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well they established that Trevor/0115 has that temporal aphasia thing, which makes him practically unable to carry out any of his responsibilities, so something would probably have to be done differently there. I agree the character is one of the best parts of the show and Jared Abrahamson's portrayal is super great but that frozen thing kind of demolishes anything practical for him, he can't drive or be relied upon for anything time-sensitive or interactive.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I was really hoping that future Traveler Mack was going to end up being the Grant MacLaren that Kat knew and was ultimately replaced by past Traveler Mack. It would have been a sickeningly sweet resolution to the Grant/Kat story.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They clearly set the viewer up to expect that, and then snatched it away, it was a really good bit of torque at the end.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

Well they established that Trevor/0115 has that temporal aphasia thing, which makes him practically unable to carry out any of his responsibilities, so something would probably have to be done differently there. I agree the character is one of the best parts of the show and Jared Abrahamson's portrayal is super great but that frozen thing kind of demolishes anything practical for him, he can't drive or be relied upon for anything time-sensitive or interactive.

I do wonder if 001 would've eventually succumbed given all the body-swapping he was doing at the end

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That was touched on, it seems to me he hadn't ever heard of the disorder because he was sent back before it was discovered and when Marcy (I think) explains it to him, he has sort of a "oh poo poo" look on his face. It seemed to me that right after that is when he comes up with the idea to make himself one with the Internet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Flesh Forge posted:

he comes up with the idea to make himself one with the Internet.

Why was that a good idea? The Internet is not an AI computer, so isn't he just uploading his memories without consciousness?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lycus posted:

Why was that a good idea? The Internet is not an AI computer, so isn't he just uploading his memories without consciousness?

When that happened it seemed to me like a desperation move. Maybe he had some knowledge of a way to decompress his mind automatically once the technology becomes available, but it seems risky as hell given how vulnerable he would be during his dormancy. Once Marcy robbed him of his primary plan though, all he was left with was this rather lovely plan B

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I feel like they just bent the rules a little bit to allow him to be an AI, even though the humans of our time don't think our equipment is capable of running an AI maybe the future tech of consciousness transfer can achieve it - tbh it has always been extremely rubber science semi-magic anyway.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

So when they call him "boss"...

He directed the season premiere too, so extra boss on that one.

Depending on where they plug back in to the timeline Trevor could be fine for quite awhile. If it's a fresh start then he'd transfer in fine, since he hadn't before, and then the symptoms would show up later on.

I'm not against "same hosts but different travelers" as a thing too, except probably for Marcy. That kind of goes hand in hand with "see the same stuff again but with a different approach" in time travel, which I also really like. I'd be completely down for them mostly handling the same missions from season 1 but doing them a bit better and with OG MacLaren doing things too, but since 99% of people would hate that I'd expect something like a one episode speed-through of the highlights from that time, kind of skip ahead to Helios and see that handled again.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

They can do all the multiple timeline poo poo they want, provided 027 stays exactly the same in all timelines, across the board.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The real mystery is was it ever explained how David had such an amazing apartment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Milo and POTUS posted:

The real mystery is was it ever explained how David had such an amazing apartment

All those homeless people are supposed to get subsidized apartments but they like living on the skreets, so David pockets their subsidy to pay for his own apartment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

All those homeless people are supposed to get subsidized apartments but they like living on the skreets, so David pockets their subsidy to pay for his own apartment.

Everybody wins!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lycus posted:

In the context of a tv show i think we’re suppose to assume that he’s in THE CLOUD and is thus everywhere now with the processing power of every single computer and phone connected to the internet combined.

It’s dumb but this is tv.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

David never did anything aside from cook food and bike places. Clearly he is just spending 80% of his post tax income on dwelling.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the context of a tv show i think we’re suppose to assume that he’s in THE CLOUD and is thus everywhere now with the processing power of every single computer and phone connected to the internet combined.

It’s dumb but this is tv.

I thought the idea is that he's infected every bit of data that the Director could conceivably use, and so his presence and influence was inescapable. Like maybe he isn't aware while in the internet, but he'll keep cropping up and contaminating any plan they they to use with that data

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DarkHorse posted:

I thought the idea is that he's infected every bit of data that the Director could conceivably use, and so his presence and influence was inescapable. Like maybe he isn't aware while in the internet, but he'll keep cropping up and contaminating any plan they they to use with that data

001 was a good villain

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't get that scene on the bus. If Grant went back in time and stopped the traveler program, doesn't Marcy still have her mental retardation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bedshaped posted:

I don't get that scene on the bus. If Grant went back in time and stopped the traveler program, doesn't Marcy still have her mental retardation?

marcy was a nurse first. She became mentally damaged when 001 forced her into a consciousness transfer experiment