Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

He's the only one that's managed to win a war it past 80 years, so there's that

Not sure where you've been, fucko, but we won Iraq way back in 03. The best Bush even donned his old uniform and told the world, "Mission Accomplished"- no thanks to people like you, BTW.

And I have it on very good authority, that we've turned the corner in Afghanistan.

The great part of this post is it has been in every news comment section for the last ten years. It wouldn't be out of place in 2004, 2008, 2018, or 2088.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was talking about AOC with my wife last night. We aren't swinging from her jock, but are both hopefully that she will be a pivot point in politics, where representatives in government begin working for their constituents, not the party. But was talking about how people keep trying to poo poo on her, and how she gives it back. It drives them nuts that this lil' lady won't bow down to the men folk. The thing that defies my logic is that they attack her looks. I get that she isnt the Aryan Mother Image, but come the gently caress on.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My old squad leader was an instructor in the game. 90% sure he was the Airborne School instructor.
He also got an Army produced action figure out of the deal.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am sure nothing matters yet, but the slow weekend news wise after the cock tease that was Friday sucked. Hopefully today will be more interesting.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's only a matter of time that Ada County will order EOD suits for those same medics. Why shouldn't they get a full on Juggernaut Perk. LEO gets to cosplay Delta vs Randy Weaver, why shouldn't they get something too?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anything matter yet? I'm seeing every news source talking about the latest poo poo revelation, and the bigliest Twitter has been fairly quiet compared to typical.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Christmas pop music is universally garbage. There is literally no reason to listen to a single Christmas song unless a) you have religious reasons or b) you really dig choral music.

This. You can listen to any song you want, any time. There is no reason to have Mariah Carey or John Lennon on as often as we do around Christmas because "traditions". Don't make the poor retail workers live's suck any more than they already did.
And TSO loving sucks.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was never into the Titanic or super into the coolness aspect of finding it until I was older, and then all my reading on the subject got pushed to the back burner as I read whatever hot new book I was more excited about. So I wasn't surprised that I learned that. (Though I jave the feeling I knew that at some point but forgot.)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

God drat it, these slow news days just dont feel like the Infrastructure Week I know and love.
What time does Flynn get sentenced?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think there can be situations where you can understand soldiers acting very dumb and killing PoWs. If they are smart, then they keep their mouths shut, and maybe get away with it. And if they get caught, the military justice system will hopefully punish them. Perhaps the punishment isn't appropriate to the crime, but at least there is recrimination for breaking the laws of war.

But if you go to TV and admit that you executed a PoW, and if you then get away with it because your country is fine with it... that's the point where you lose any moral high ground.

Abu Graib and other such things made me look at the US military with fresh eyes. You guys are still much better than most of the other armed forces on this planet (I'm not talking about military power here), but I've held you in higher esteem. If that guy just doesn't get punished because his victim was a dirty muslim terrorist foreigner - it would be another let down for me. I've already read about cases where the US military let people get away with war crimes, but these were handled internally. But going on air with your crimes and the public declaring this okay, that would be something else. Basic human decency demands that war criminals get punished, especially when they are not shy about the fact that they committed these war crimes. Not punishing them would be a level of brazen contempt for every non-American that would be really hard to stomach.

We only admit war crimes when they go public. We are just as bad as everyone else, be we just keep it under wraps.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If there was a war we would never win, its Afghanistan. We might have had a chance to unite the country and accomplish something, had Shah Massoud not been killed right before the war.
We might have won had we been willing to negotiate.
We might have won if we reacted like the Israeli's did after Munich.
We might have won if we had spent more than a week determining our strategy beyond, "Kill Browns."
We might have had a chamce at victory had everything gone right.
But we didn't. We didn't learn from the history of that hard place, and when we do leave, we will be leaving with an ugly scar of not only another war lost, but a failure of the US to accomplish any real sustainable goals.
poo poo, I remember twlling people way back in 02 that if Alexander the Great was afraid of taking Afghanistan, followed by so many other expeditions, most notably the British and Russian, then we didn't have a chance, because we didn't learn enough from Vietnam.
I completely agree we should pull out. On our way out, we should be polite and deliver a case of MREs, an AK, and a "Hang in there" kitty poster, because it's going to go back to exactly what it was befoew we got there.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, just like I'm sure the NYPD banned 'Nightstick Sodomy Summer League'.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress it- he can have his 5 billion for his Border Farce, but only if it comes from legalized MJ sales, and he reinstates DACA protection.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

(PS watch Darkman)

Yo. This. I've loved that movie since I was a kid. I went to my Middle School's Halloween dance dressed as Darkman.
No one knew who I was, but I was so happy that I didn't care.

Neeson said in interviews that he only did Taken for pay, expecting it wouldnt go anywhere, because no would believe a 50+ yo man being a serious action actor. Then it turned into a cultural meme, a franchise, and typecast him into Problem Solving Through Punching Man for this period of his career.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

EBB posted:

Let's go back to Roman times and make the president personally have to pay his guard.

I agree- let's go back. Mattis would be an awesome Cinncinatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Notes expert Michael Scott said that Sbarro's is authentic New York pizza and that's good enough for me.