Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well, he was the least terrible Republican President since Eisenhower, so at least he had that going for him.

gently caress him forever for Thomas though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Reservations: Not just for America anymore!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm a millennial who owns a can opener and likes tuna ama

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Which nuclear treaty? Nuclear test ban treaty? If so get ready for ultra HD 4k nuclear explosions

More likely something more boring like New START.

INF

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Handsome Ralph posted:

Wasn't aware of the fossil fuel money part though, that sucks.

From my understanding of the issue, it's not one. Beto is listed as being one of the top recipients in Congress of oil and gas money, but keep in mind that includes donations from people who work in those industries, not just the companies themselves. Considering oil and gas is one of the top employers in Texas, it's not a huge surprise that he'd get a lot of money from that sector, and it hasn't stopped him from talking about climate change.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This last election. We also slayed the Gerrymander and implementer a bunch of reforms to make registering to vote easier.

:hellyeah:

Unfortunately Michigan Republicans, proving once again the kindest fate they deserve would be to get ground up into executive powder, have been pulling double-duty doing everything in their power to weaken the successful proposals while also doing all kinds of other heinous poo poo.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-idUSKBN1O5289

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hexyflexy posted:

Can you prosecute an ex-president for a felony committed before they were president? Ignoring the whole impeachment thing.

Yes, and ironically we know this because of the Republican efforts to try and hit Bill Clinton for Whitewater IIRC

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

All New Sonic posted:

A bit late, but

Sadly I do not currently have the cash to spare to turn it into the real thing :saddowns:

oh man that is great

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Can mods or admins post bigger files?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

chaos timeline challenge:

name five major events that occurred this year without using the internet to cheat

lightning round challenge:

name five major events that occurred last year without using the internet to cheat

final challenge:

name one mass shooting from this year and last year

I might have the timing on one or two of these wrong:

2018: Eagles win the Superbowl, DACA Shutdown, Theresa May calls for elections that backfire spectacularly on the Tories, genocial maniac elected in Brazil, Russian attempted nerve agent assassination in Britain

2017: ISIS effectively defeated, Jim Comey fired, Hurricanes Harvey and Maria, the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Turkey votes for new constitution that gave Erdrogan unprecedented power

2018: The school in Florida

2017: Las Vegas

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mods changed my name posted:

i can't believe people here will still defend capitalism lmao

I would argue that capitalism is merely a symptom of the root disease, that being that humans are short-sighted garbage idiots

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Go to hell, Zinke:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1073945872625479681?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
please don't kill yourselves

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

If I'm dying and the world is over, I'm taking some finance douchebags or billionaires with me :gritin:

now there's some positive planning for the future!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The thing is that they wouldn't even say that-the founders were under no illusions that the Constitution was perfect, which is why they included the amendment process. If poo poo didn't work, they thought we should have the ability to change it-the real mistake was in making the Constitution too hard to amend.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Y’all what if Elon isn’t a genius and is actually kind of an idiot?

I am willing to accept that he is intelligent and talented in specific fields, but his brain and ego are so insanely broken that he is incapable of recognizing a bad idea, and is also so insecure and defensive he'll reflexively double-down on bad ideas because he can't admit any kind of setback or failure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

He’s not. He has a modicum of talent in a small subsection of discrete mathematics and a huge head start from his family fortune. He is every engineering undergrad that thinks because the thing they do for money comes easily to them, their intuition on any topic is correct.

He’s a loving idiot

He's definitely not someone worth listening to in any case.

In other news, this article got linked to in D&D and man it's a real motherfucker.

An Epidemic Is Killing Thousands Of Coal Miners. Regulators Could Have Stopped It

quote:

It's a familiar tale across Appalachia. Two hours north and east, beyond twisting mountain roads, Danny Smith revved up a lawn mower. He wore jeans, a T-shirt and a white face mask stretching from eyes to chin, and he pushed only about 15 feet before he suddenly shut off the mower, bent to his knees and started hacking uncontrollably.

"Oh God," he gasped, as he spit up a crusty black substance with gray streaks, and then stared at the dead lung tissue staining the grass. Still coughing and breathing hard, Smith settled into a chair on his porch and clipped an oxygen tube to his nose.

After spending just 12 years underground, his lungs are so bad he faces what coal miners decades older and with decades more in mining have endured. His lung tissue is dying so fast, his respiratory therapist says, it just peels away.

"I'm terrified," Smith said, as he remembered his father's suffering when he was struggling with the same coal miner's disease.

"I sure don't want to go through what he went through. I seen a lot of guys that died of black lung and they all suffered like that."

quote:

"This is probably the oldest known occupational hazard," said retired industrial hygienist Weeks, who has a collection of antique books to prove it — with references to mine dust hazards from Pliny the Elder in the first century and another dating to the 15th century.

"There's nothing new about this," Weeks added. "And you'd think by now we'd have figured out how to deal with it."

quote:

Kelly has a long list of simple tasks he can no longer accomplish: walking up his driveway to the mailbox; climbing the few steps to his barn; riding horses; even just getting up to head to the bathroom. He has to stop and rest on the way, he says.

But what hurts the most are the things he can't do with his grandson, Caden, especially playful wrestling on the floor.

"Now he has to wrestle a pillow while I call the match," Kelly said, his voice halting and his eyes red. "It's still fun, but ..." and Kelly paused, his face tight and the tears flowing.

"I want to be that pillow."

quote:

"It's [been] eating at me for the last two years," he said, "that I'm going to die over this. ... Of all the things that could've killed me while I did work there, the rockfalls and all that stuff, I lived through all of that. And I find out years later I'm going to die over black lung. And it's heartbreaking."

Smith then mentioned his wife and two daughters and wondered what will happen to them when he's gone. He wondered about the grandchildren he may never see. His voice breaking again, he talked about the excitement of being a young miner, about the hope and promise of good pay and good lives.

"We was all young and strong and stout and they took advantage of us. Every one of us is either crippled or dead. We was all young men," he said, crying softly.

Back at his house in a narrow valley — a holler — in Canada, Ky., Smith pointed to a family cemetery on a knoll at the edge of the lawn he has so much difficulty mowing. It features a single gravestone with bright flowers and the names of his parents. Behind it, Smith told us, in the shade, is the burial plot he has picked out for himself. He's 46 years old.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Trump administration aims to toughen work requirements for food stamps recipients

quote:

The country’s food assistance program, which is run by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, already requires most adults without dependents to work if they collect food stamps for more than three months in a three-year period. But USDA regulations allow states to waive the requirement in areas with unemployment rates that were at least 20 percent greater than the national rate.

The USDA is now proposing that states could waive the requirement only in areas where unemployment is above 7 percent. The current national unemployment rate stands at 3.7 percent.

Approximately 2.8 million able-bodied recipients without children or an ailing person in their care were not working in 2016, according to the USDA’s latest numbers. Roughly 755,000 live in areas that stand to lose the waivers.

“This is unacceptable to most Americans and belies common sense, particularly when employment opportunities are as plentiful as they currently are,” Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said on a press call, adding the measure could save taxpayers $15 billion over 10 years.

“This restores the dignity of work to a sizeable segment of our population,” he said.

Yes, they'll be so dignified while they're starving, you absolute motherfucking son of a bitch

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this saved.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tryzzub posted:

ok so today:
- sec def resigns
- russia treasury emailz
- stock market continues to poo poo itself
- probably definitely partial gov shutdown

any other plot points i missed in this episode of 2016, season 3?

USDA wants to increase work requirements for food stamps, which could impact over 700,000 people.

This much news shouldn't be allowed to come out on a Thursday

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fallom posted:

dude it's a literal monument to racism

i am completely behind the congressmen who vote never to pay a cent towards a wall no matter what concessions the republicans offer

Not only that, but it's validation for every racist and isolationist motherfucker like Trump, Miller, and Bannon that their dreams of a white ethnostate can be achieved, so long as they dangle a big enough carrot in exchange. There can be no compromise here.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The man who fiddled with the Supreme Court in a way that makes Kavanaugh look minor and who let traitors waltz into Army and Navy bases and arm themselves with federal property that they used to kill thousands American soldiers so they could keep their fellow human beings enslaved.

Stand up, James Buchanan, you doughfaced sack of poo poo.

Yeah unless the country actively enters a civil war, it's hard to beat Buchanan.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

All presidents are bad.

Lincoln. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hated dogs.

QED:

fake news

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Carter's problem was that while he was compassionate in ways that few other Presidents have been... he was also, well, an rear end in a top hat. He was combative, argumentative, and a micro-manager, and while this served him well enough as a naval nuclear officer* and later as Governor of Georgia, in Washington he pretty much instantly blew up any chance of having a good working relationship with Congress by vetoing legislation that his own party had passed that was laden with public-works spending he disagreed with. And while in many cases he may have been technically right, his approach won him very few friends on the Hill, paralyzed his own policy initiatives (Including Universal Healthcare, over which he feuded with Ted Kennedy), and generally made the administration appear weak and ineffectual at a time where the economy was paralyzed by stagflation and the oil crisis.

Carter in short was a man with many good beliefs, but was difficult to deal with personally and was ultimately an ineffective president at the worst possible time—because, as we all know, the man who was able to come along and take advantage of the Carter Administration's failures and perceived ineffectiveness was Ronald loving Reagan.

*E: Looking back over Carter's wiki page, he apparently said that after his parents Admiral Rickover was his greatest influence, which... honestly explains a lot.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I feel that Mattis could be a good VP choice in that VP is an utterly worthless position so his actual influence within the administration would be limited, but it could get certain ~resist~ types and 'moderate' Democrats fired up regardless of how left the top of the ticket is.