Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/oysteinbogen/status/1068576893304258560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Europeans being racists as usual.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/world/europe/denmark-migrants-island.html

quote:

Denmark plans to house the country’s most unwelcome foreigners in a most unwelcoming place: a tiny, hard-to-reach island that now holds the laboratories, stables and crematory of a center for researching contagious animal diseases.

As if to make the message clearer, one of the two ferries that serve the island is called the Virus.

“They are unwanted in Denmark, and they will feel that,” the immigration minister, Inger Stojberg, wrote on Facebook.

On Friday, the center-right government and the right-wing Danish People’s Party announced an agreement to house as many as 100 people on Lindholm Island — foreigners who have been convicted of crimes and rejected asylum seekers who cannot be returned to their home countries.

The 17-acre island, in an inlet of the Baltic Sea, lies about two miles from the nearest shore, and ferry service is infrequent. Foreigners will be required to report at the island center daily, and face imprisonment if they do not.

“We’re going to minimize the number of ferry departures as much as at all possible,” Martin Henriksen, a spokesman for the Danish People’s Party on immigration, told TV 2. “We’re going to make it as cumbersome and expensive as possible.”

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

psydude posted:

America's Army was great until version 3 when they completely redid the game and ruined it. To this day, it's the best-made piece of government-produced software that I've used.

Yeah 2 was pretty great at the time since basically the only thing like it was Operation Flashpoint/ARMA.

3 was loving garbage, played and looked like poo poo when I tried it. IIRC they fired all the contractors working on it the day after release and the game was basically abandoned after a couple years with nothing more than basic patches, from what I heard it had a decent core but was dragged down by everything else.

Currently there's a newer game called America's Army: Proving Grounds but honestly I had it installed through Steam for like a year and never launched it. Watched some kid streaming it a while back after uninstalling it, and it basically looked like a F2P Call of Duty knockoff, I closed the tab as soon as I saw them kill somebody and CHALLENGE COIN AWARDED popped up on the bottom of the screen.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Interesting article about the current crop of Unabomber fanboys.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/the-unabomber-ted-kaczynski-new-generation-of-acolytes.html

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Hot Karl Marx posted:

silicpon vallty just invented the Subway(™

dutch techbros reinvented the root cellar.
https://twitter.com/cheddar/status/1074398004616998912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I did a bunch of reading on the Skylab program a while back. The "strike" story is little more than media sensationalism, in the book Homesteading Space there are some interviews with the actual people involved:

quote:

'In an effort to increase our efficiency,' said Gibson, 'we occasionally would have only one of us listening to the voice traffic from the ground and responding to it while the other two of us turned off our radios and worked without interruption. We each signed up for an orbit as the radio-response guy. Well one day we made a mistake and for a whole orbit we all had our radios off!'

'When we came up to over one of the sites,' said Carr, “the ground called us, and we didn’t answer them for a whole orbit. Regrettably that caused a lot of concern down on the ground. And of course the press just thought that was wonderful. They said, ‘Look at that. These testy, crabby old astronauts up there won’t even answer the radio now. They’ve turned it off and won’t listen to the ground anymore.’ We’ve had to live under that stigma they falsely created ever since.”

'Problems that surfaced early in our mission were created by competent, well-intentioned people,' said Gibson. “The exceptions were the dramatic stories fabricated by the media and later repeated and exaggerated in a book on Skylab and a Harvard Business School study. There was no ‘strike in space’ by any stretch of the imagination. What could we threaten to do, go live on the moon? If any of these writers had gotten their information from just one of us, the crew or other people directly involved, responsible reporting and validity would have prevailed over expediency and sensationalism.”

While finally taking a day off gave the crew a much-needed break and helped relieve some of the stress they were under, it didn’t really change the situation. “Right after our real day off,” Jerry Carr said, “we got right back onto the treadmill, and things weren’t getting any better. Finally after several weeks into the mission, it all came to a head. After dinner we always had a medical conference with the flight surgeon where we would tell him how we were doing physically, and we give him the readings for the food that we’d eaten and the water we’d drunk and all other data that they needed for their metabolic analysis. I said, ‘You know, I think we need to have a séance here.’ I told him about our situation, that we weren’t too terribly happy and that we were quite sure the ground wasn’t happy either. ‘It’s time for us to have a discussion, a frank discussion. We can do it on this channel if they want.’

That request went down to the doctors, they passed the word, and, when the press got a hold of it, they raised Cain. So Mission Control came back and said, ‘We’re going to have to do it on the open circuit.’ I said, ‘That’s fine.’

So one evening we started talking with ground as we came up over Goldstone [California]. We had the whole U.S. pass, essentially, for me to tell them all the things that were bothering us. ‘We need more time to rest. We need a schedule that’s not quite so packed. We don’t want to exercise after a meal. We need to get the pace of things under control.’ Then we said, ‘Okay, now, next pass over the U.S., you guys please tell us what your problems are.’

So during the next U.S. pass, they bent our ear with all of the things that we were doing, including our rigidity that made it difficult for them to have the flexibility to schedule us how they needed to. We came back with, ‘Let’s think about it overnight and try to come up with a solution by the morning.’

The next morning they sent a teletype message in which they recommended quite a few things. The most important one was to take all of the menial, routine housekeeping chores out of the schedule and put them on what we called a shopping list. They were things that needed to be done that day but not at any particular time. Of course, they still had to hard schedule those activities that were required at a specific time or location in orbit. By opening up the schedule that way, they really took the pressure off. We were no longer racing the clock to get things done. It solved the problem.

They also said, ‘We’re not going to hassle you anymore during meals or give you any major assignments after dinner. After dinner is relaxation time for you. Do a few things like some student experiments, but we’re not going to have any major experiments after dinner.’ We said ‘That sounds great. Let’s go with it!’ And it worked beautifully. It’s a testimony to the human condition. Henry Ford probably learned it on his assembly line. The line can only go so fast before you start making mistakes.

IIRC there's a post on r/badhistory that goes into exhaustive detail as to the whole mission timeline, as only space nerds can, but another issue with the story is that the "strike" is supposed to have happened on the 28th and they had their discussion with Mission Control on the 30th, but on the 29th they did a space walk, the scabs!