Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Because of this:

Sorry, but you guys are the baddies 100% now.

We are absolutely the baddies, but there's nothing in that article about the US pushing for people to have numbers drawn on their skin. The part you quoted was to get people off a literal bridge, which is not a good place to hang out.

Vasudus posted:

That's fair, at least we're only violating international asylum laws by blocking free movement to established ports of entry.

This is where the focus should be. Because this is the part that we're doing, intentionally, knowing that it's loving wrong.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Maybe we need to form a alternative gun group, the American Firearm Association or something.

Then in a couple of decades they can merge and have a playoff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Can’t you charge someone for both at once? Or one after the other?

If they beat a murder charge you don't get to just change it to manslaughter and try again. There are ways that the jury could convict on manslaughter instead of murder, but I don't know how the laws are written in TX so that might not be an option there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But I thought trade wars were good and easy to win?

He got China to sit at the table. His followers will view THAT as a win.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

Dude have you not seen how he acts on twitter

Smart guy gets smarmy when dealing with morons sometimes, news at 11.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Since when did we measure military utility against private economic utility? Quite literally everything in the military could be said to have no economic utility. And that’s perfectly fine.

Also the F-35A is pretty good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It’s a breath of fresh air that GIP is mostly vets/mil, and aren’t consistently spreading vitriol about everything: “ugh lieberals and their avocado toast! Check out this cherry picked and edited clip of AOC saying dumb poo poo! Peep this Ben Shapiro debate! 2nd amendment!” and just being right winging chodes as a whole. I’m always incredulous to think it’s what everyone really believes on here, and they’re sort of rolling with the punches? I mean, going by the vets/mil on my fb feed where it’s 95% of the above.

But every now and again their true colors read their ugly head

I dunno, they were pretty rabid about NDT and Bill loving Nye a couple of pages ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And for whomever said it was weird to screenshot poo poo...if you get divorced or have a crazy ex or whatever, you loving document EVERYTHING. I have every text and email my ex sent me after we started arguing about whether/when I'd get to see my kid again. You loving document everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

That's the problem though, he should have realized it.

Realized what, specifically? Because the shoulder thing, while creepy, seems like an odd reason to try and gently caress over a guy who has spent a while championing access to STEM for girls.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody's trying to gently caress him over. Calling out bad behavior doesn't mean you're trying to ruin someone's life, and again, the fact that it keeps getting framed that way is a huge part of the problem.

And yeah, he should have realized that reaching under someone's clothes without their permission is pretty bad!

I dunno, taking stories like that to the press years later seems pretty aggressive/unnecessary. What else are you after in that situation? This (probably) isn't a Cosby situation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Are you defensive of NgDT in particular or do you assume women generally are liars and try to ruin lots of men?

This situation in particular feels like bullshit. So far the credible stories are that he was a little creepy touching a woman's shoulder, and a woman thought he hit on her. This is news.

Yeah, I'm a fan of NDT. I listen to his podcast, where he CONSTANTLY features successful women in a wide variety of STEM fields and other careers, champions letting girls ask questions/get curious/think critically instead of shoehorning them into "traditional" roles. The idea that he's a serial predator just doesn't fit with the persona that the guy has put on display for the past couple of decades. Can someone pull off a lie like that? Absolutely - Cosby did it. But those stories started off far worse than these. And once they gained traction, they came flowing out of the shadows rapidly. That's not happening here. All we have are a couple of weird moments and one dubious claim. If we start seeing credible complaints (like with Cosby and Kavanaugh) then I'm certainly not going to defend against them. I'm a big fan of actually investigating this poo poo when these complaints are made. But the first two...I don't know what there is to investigate. His explanation sounds reasonable, and lines up pretty well with the original stories I saw about it. The other one...if someone thinks there's enough credence there to investigate, ok. If they actually FIND something, ok. I don't think that's how it would shake out, but I'm not willing to bet my paycheck on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TBH that's way cooler than most coins.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Funkysock posted:

I know everyone is way past the tuna talk and on to ramen now, but I can't ever remember seeing canned tuna that didn't have a pull-ring. Why is anyone even talking about can openers? Or am I just a troglodyte that's never had 'good' canned tuna?

I don't think I've ever seen one with a pull ring. But I also haven't bought a can of tuna in probably a year.

OH poo poo this is all my fault :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

Well NY pizza sucks, Chicago deep dish supremacy

Posts like this are the only reason I'd want to mod/IK.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My biggest complaint about Beto is the DUI, because that's a pet peeve.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MG: "By god, it's been a long time since I've seen someone die of stupidity..."
1SGT: "Goddamnit if she doesn't shoot herself to death I'll finish the task myself."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

Hahaha God drat. Why does anyone voluntarily work for this administration anymore??

For the book deals.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, they do that sometimes. Doesn't make the news often because they don't really come close to the US. It's a long goddamned flight, so they don't dick around.

Hexyflexy posted:

She isn't going to get Novichok'd in the US. Putin is a mad motherfucker, but he isn't that mad.

:lol::lol:

This is so loving adorable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

They're already accurate to within 2" or something. My point is that not having someone to watch the half million dollar machine flop around on rough ground ingesting everything in front of it is financially insane.

So? It'll all be subsidized by the gov't anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

Mulvaney got the Hey You of the century.

I bet it was one of those "'I need a volunteer to step forward' and everybody else takes a step back" moments.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DurosKlav posted:

Back in 2000-2001 my physics teacher in HS was named Sobel. He also looked a lot like Herbert Sobel and I regret that despite having read Band of Brothers a few times around that time I never made the connection and asked if he was related. This HS was in the Chicago suburbs so it could be possible.

He died in '87 so probably not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually missed the "ask if he was related" bit. Whoops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

but we can afford to lose them now, so we should probably get rid of that.

Not really, they feed you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh, I don't really care about RI and DE...in fact RI is probably mostly Patriots/Red Sox fans, so it's probably for the best.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Sorry but bump stocks for semi-auto rifles and "Wrist braces" for AR pistols are literally just horseshit and both should be banned imo.

E: not going to take up another post with it but the only loving reason they legally are allowed at this point is gun lobby dollars from manufacturers, if politicians had the actual interests of the general public in mind they would have been banned a long time ago. See also they would have heavily restricted the sale and transfer of firearms and made it nigh impossible for them to be obtained by people who should not have them to amass loving piles of them, mainly through gun buybacks to get a portion of them off the streets. There should not be a firearm for each loving person in the US (there are somewhere between 89 and 100 firearms per 100 persons in the US), especially when they're most certainly not owned by the majority of the public.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but the way we're enforcing gun laws is that it's the loving ATF deciding what's what, not actually relying on a written law (except as the law gives them room to decide what's what). And any charge by the Democrats to actually get something in writing is going to be led by people who openly support gun bans and the like, so it'll be a non-starter. Actually getting reasonable gun control codified is next to impossible because neither side is interested in it.

orange juche posted:

Noone ever asked him the question "What if you win?"

It's been said before but he and his staff were counting on losing to Hillary and then reaping the reward of nice book deals and speaking circuit time. He was hilariously unready and not planning for winning the election but to back down would be counter to his entire self image because WINNING.

I think one of the papers (WaPo?) said that he looked morose when he walked into the oval office and just stared out the window like he knew he'd hosed up and it was dawning on him how hosed he was.

The only problem is he is doing his level best to drag the country to hell with him.

He's probably already forgot about all that and honestly believes its his destiny to be the biggliest bestiest president ever which he of course is and is proving it every day despite the fake news media and witch hunt.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 19, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is legit probably the mattering, but it won't happen until he's out of office.

BigDave posted:

Orrin Hatch

...Orrin Hatch is still alive?!

He announced his retirement after the big tax cut.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have like four minutes left in it, and he's snidly pretending that the dumb strategic missile alert in Hawaii MAY HAVE BEEN A GOVERNMENT DIVERSION AND/OR WAY TO KEEP CITIZENS ON THE EDGE I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nice and hot piss posted:

Dow Jones is taking a beating today. Nay, this month.

Christ it has dropped 200 points in like 30 minutes

Ugh. It looks a lot like that crash graph that bitcoin keeps following.

Edit: I actually wouldn't be surprised if bitcoin spikes as morons look for a safer place than the mattress market for their money and get suckered in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EBB posted:

So the Rs are gonna primary Trump with Mattis if they have any balls.

So, no. Got it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That Works posted:

I'm sitting here stressing out about which employee I get to fire if the shutdown lasts for more than a few days and this pops up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841

Reminder that our president is chummy with a guy named Vlad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I want the democrats to hold loving firm on this point, and force senate republicans to make a goddamned choice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Actual campaign finance reform, congressional term limits, something something healthcare.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What is he even talking about? The shutdown already started.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

He's also bullshitting. There's no Marine guard outside the White House, so Donnie ain't there.

What the hell...what a dumb thing to lie about. That's one of the more baffling things to me right now, and I can't believe I'm saying that.

Torrannor posted:

If I were American, and dreaming about constitutional amendments, I would look at the system of directly elected Representatives that massively favor rural regions and states.

Even a ban on gerrymandering won't help, because the lowest population states still get an advantage (if you have districts, they need to cross state lines), and single member districts are bad in general if your voters are highly concentrated in cities (if you don't go with something like Mixed-Member Proportional [look it up!], you should at least get multi-member districts).

The senate is supposed to be semi- to professional statesmen balancing a lookout for the nation as a whole and their specific state, vs the representatives that are aimed more towards their local districts.

It's all fun and games trying to pick the version that supports you today, when you keep forgetting that demographics do shift from time to time.

DoktorLoken posted:

lol wait he thinks we've been in Syria dealing with ISIL for 7 years? Operation Inherent Resolve didn't start until 2014-2015.

Just :lol: if he's actually talking about some black spec ops poo poo that was actually well-concealed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: ^ :lol::lol::lol:

Stultus Maximus posted:

I still think gerrymandering and the non-democratic Senate and EC are worse regarding this.

Really? I get why people (most of whom live in large metros) hate the EC, but the senate is supposed to be slower to react to change. That's a feature, not a bug. The problem is that most of the senate is horrifically corrupt and openly for sale. Publicly financed campaigns (and harsh penalties for the donation equivalent of a straw purchase) would drastically reduce the impact of the campaign donors that have been writing our legislation for the past few years. The senate hasn't always been this broken, it was a slow descent until it went off the loving cliff after Right to Life and Citizens United.

As Nero Danced posted:

Another new rule: when the government shuts down, mandatory call of the house. Every representative must report to the capitol under threat of arrest until a new budget is adopted. Then bar the doors. They can only leave when they do their job.

Also confine the president to the west wing. No government, no golf.

I like this.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 22, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Buying items on credit you don’t need to survive is dumb.

There are a bunch of reasons why this isn't true.

Edit: Many which were immediately brought up. :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

I for one can't wait to be added to the no-fly list because Mastercard thinks no honest man needs 500 rounds of .22lr!

Meanwhile the military can't be bothered to file the paperwork to make sure their wife beating psychopaths can't pass a background check.

Nobody is gonna buy 30 guns and go shoot up a school while carrying them all around like an overloaded RPG character. You only need one to carry out a mass shooting. Just more poo poo that doesn't actually do anything to save lives. If you want to actually have a meaningful effect then make sure domestic abusers can't get access to firearms and more heavily regulate pistols.

The Vegas shooter being a way-out-there outlier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

You grew up in Australia though, right? Australia does charge those annoying service fees in credit cards.

That was real common in the US until not too long ago. You still see commercials advertising no annual fee.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

No, I mean Australian businesses can charge a fee on each credit card transaction over the MSRP of the product or service. I think it's something like 1.8%.

Annual fees are still very much a thing for premium cards like the Chase Sapphire and AMEX Platinum. You typically earn most of it back immediately from the airline credits though.

Ah ok. I think it's typically just absorbed (or factored into prices) by businesses in the US, because the card companies do charge the processing fee. Although a lot of gas stations do have a card price and a (lower) cash price.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Worth mentioning that if you're lol still in, American Express platinum card is free (they refund the annual fee) and has a ton of nice freebies like airport lounge access and $15 Uber credit every month.

Does this apply to reserves as well? I will milk the hell out of this as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Defenestrategy posted:

So the budget is like any other bill right? Eventually the repubs can get sick of this and go "Fine we'll just do another continuing resolution" get Dems on board and over ride a veto on it right?

Yeah but that requires Mitch McConnell to do a decent thing.

psydude posted:

e: I refuse to pronounce Navada "Neh vah duh" over the actual Spanish pronunciation.

Do Arkansas next.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 25, 2018