Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

In 2010 Michigan became a state governed by a trifecta of Republican control. At the helm was a nerdy accountant from Ann Arbor called Rick Snyder.

For the past 8 years, he's tried to run Michigan like a business. It wasn't very effective.

After every election held in Michigan, the Republicans use the weeks between the election and the holiday break to ram bad legislation up Michigan's pooper, making sure the poor, the old, and the working class suffer through the holidays with painful constipation.

In 2012, one of the worst lame duck sessions in Michigan history took place with the crowning jewel of the GOP, Right to Work, becoming law in the state. It was especially hard for Michiganders to take because Snyder at first promised he wouldn't sign it because "right to work was wrong for Michigan." At least there was one silver lining in this dark cloud hanging over the state, seen here in this beautiful bean footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bd1cvpLTo

The people of Michigan in 2012 successfully got a proposal on the ballot to get rid of Snyder's emergency manager law. It successfully passed, so the Republicans and Snyder quickly drafted a new version of the law and passed it, paving the way for forcing Detroit into bankruptcy and switching Flint's water supply to the Flint River. There was plenty of other horrible poo poo the Republicans rammed through during the 2012 Shame Duck.

The 2014 Shame Duck didn't have anything nearly as horrible as right to work, however the law to allow business owners to discriminate based on religious reasons passed, drug testing people who receive food stamps or other assistance from the state ( they spent $3 million on the pilot program and discovered not a single person tested positive for drugs) also passed.

The hype over Trump really sucked all the air out of the room in regards to paying attention to the Shame Duck Session in 2016. Republicans used this cover to pass anti-picketing bills, making it a crime. They also made it easier to hire scabs to replace striking workers.

So here we are, 2018, the Republican trifecta in Michigan is weeks away from being finally over, so of course Republicans are going to gently caress over the state in any way possible before that happens.

We don't just have a new Democratic Governor, the new Attorney General and Secretary of State are also Democrats, and GASP! all women too! Starting in 2019, women will be holding the top three government positions in the state.

With no less than 130 separate bills the GOP want to slam through before January 1, here are the highlights:

• Bills to make it harder for the Governor, Secretary of State and Attorney General to do their jobs.

• Gutting the new anti-gerrymandering law and eliminating same-day voter registration, because Michigan Republicans have worked way too hard making it really hard to vote in this state.

• Stripping the part of the new marijuana law that allows people to grow up to a dozen plants at home.

• A poo poo load of bills to gently caress over teachers and public schools even more.

• Opening up half of the wetlands in Michigan to commercial development - sponsored by a guy who happens to own a logging business in the UP.

• Ram through a plan that gives Enbridge 10 more years to pump oil through a 65 year old pipeline that sits at the bottom of the Straits of Mackinac under the bridge while they build a tunnel (never gonna happen).

• A bill to eliminate Michigan's 40 year old and incredibly successful bottle deposit law, introduced by a man who owns a store and is really fed up he has to pay a guy minimum wage to work part time just to take care of the returned cans and bottles.

How will Republicans find the time to get this all done before the end of the year? Stay up all night, refuse to recess, force everyone to stay in Lansing until all of the bills they can get to the floor and voted on make it.

Three days of the Michigan Shame Duck are already over. There's plenty more to come, so have a seat and watch the show in all of it's horrific glory. Also, are horrible bills being introduced in your home state? Feel free to share your tales of woe here.

Voters Not Politicians, the group behind getting the redistricting commission law passed, is asking people to please call their state legislator or senator and ask them to vote no on HB 1254.

https://www.votersnotpoliticians.com/lameduck

If you want to go to Lansing and help protest, more info can be found here and here

Here is a good breakdown of some of the bills headed to Michigan's Shame Duck session.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

honestly im surprised this doesn't happen more often. The lame duck session is a really dumb concept

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
reading some of the laws they're passing:

quote:

SB 1171 allows for $12 minimum wage and a $4 minimum wage for tipped workers by 2030. No increase to $12 minimum wage for tipped workers.

a $4 tipped wage in 2030??????? lmao

sorry about your absurd state run by monsters op

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

reading some of the laws they're passing:

a $4 tipped wage in 2030??????? lmao

sorry about your absurd state run by monsters op

The guy who wants to get rid of the bottle deposit law is mad he has to actually pay someone $9,000 a year to process the bottles and cans for him.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan Constitution Article 3, Section 2 posted:

"The powers of government are divided into three branches: legislative, executive and judicial. No person exercising powers of one branch shall exercise powers properly belonging to another branch except as expressly provided in this constitution."

One of the bills being considered by the state legislature would give them the authority to intervene in any cases being handled by the Attorney General that may conflict with the interest of the state.

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/12/with_democrats_about_to_take_o_1.html#incart_river_index

https://twitter.com/ProgressMich/status/1069639160053547012

https://twitter.com/ProgressMich/status/1069644706441830401

:rolleyes:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Dec 3, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Rick Snyder retire bitch

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'd just like to add a hearty gently caress Rick Snyder and gently caress the Michigan GOP even harder, thank you

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress this poo poo, rick snyder sucks and is a loving NERD, holland and grand rapids should be political prisons, the GOP poisoned people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Can't they just work on overturning all these lovely laws once they take power or are they making that hard to do too. I get that some things like signing deals with companies will cost the state money it doesn't have to get rid of those deals but the alternative is pretty dystopian

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol i lived in michigan for 90% of my life (and just moved back) and i have never heard anyone say anything bad about the 10 cent deposit

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Can't they just work on overturning all these lovely laws once they take power or are they making that hard to do too. I get that some things like signing deals with companies will cost the state money it doesn't have to get rid of those deals but the alternative is pretty dystopian

a little further on that: isn't there some sort of name you can ascribe to these laws? like, these seem to be retributive in nature, so maybe classify them as "retribution laws" and just not honor them because they're crafted solely to take aim at the folks after them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's insane to me that politicians get months after losing an election to enact a bunch of laws

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It's really heartbreaking that my home state, with all its natural splendor, is full of chuds and morons who routinely vote for the cocksuckers that most want to destroy it and the people that live here.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

lol i lived in michigan for 90% of my life (and just moved back) and i have never heard anyone say anything bad about the 10 cent deposit

No joke, I think if people raised awareness about that specific bill there could be a movement against these lame duck shenanigans.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Giggy posted:

No joke, I think if people raised awareness about that specific bill there could be a movement against these lame duck shenanigans.

i doubt people care THAT much, especially since the chuds will just hear that their racks of busch light are 3 dollars cheaper. it just seems like such bizarre law to gaf about and the small business tyrant angle is the first time ive even heard it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dreylad posted:

The problem is that the Republicans will still control the legislature, so there's nothing the Democrats can do.

It cannot be said enough what motherfuckers these people are.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

i doubt people care THAT much, especially since the chuds will just hear that their racks of busch light are 3 dollars cheaper. it just seems like such bizarre law to gaf about and the small business tyrant angle is the first time ive even heard it.

I dunno, a lot of people like taking back cans, especially when they're broke.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Giggy posted:

I dunno, a lot of people like taking back cans, especially when they're broke.

When I've lived in other states I still end up stockpiling cans because throwing them out or putting them in recycling just feels like wasting money.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

When I've lived in other states I still end up stockpiling cans because throwing them out or putting them in recycling just feels like wasting money.

Watching people throw away cans is always a culture shock for me in other states.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Anyway, thanks OP for reminding me to call Noted Motherfucker Patrick Colbeck's office so I can yell at some staffers tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Those 10 cent can deposits might as well have been my allowance before I was old enough to reliably do chores or hold a paper route.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

gently caress this poo poo, rick snyder sucks and is a loving NERD, holland and grand rapids should be political prisons, the GOP poisoned people.

:same: It brings me great shame that Snyder is from my home town but at least Holland/GR has produced worse political figures.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

The fact that lame duck sessions even exist in a world with loving airplanes and poo poo is insane

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.michamber.com/senate-passes-improvements-minimum-wage-law-house-action-expected-tomorrow

'improvements' to minimum wage law include: just loving gutting it lol

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

LMAO now the Republicans claim thanks to Proposal 2 Michigan will lose a house seat.

Michigan is going to lose a house seat because the state's population is dropping. It has nothing to do with the redistricting commission.

the state legislature will be open for business over the next three days. There are protests planned at the capital each day.

Voters Not Politicians, the group behind getting the redistricting commission law passed, is asking people to please call their state legislator or senator and ask them to vote no on HB 1254.

https://www.votersnotpoliticians.com/lameduck

If you want to go to Lansing and help protest, more info can be found here and here

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Dec 4, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
snyder never changed his username on twitter so the official twitter account of the michigan governor has been @onetoughnerd for nearly a decade.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

General strike now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The new governor should mobilize the national guard and arrest the Republicans

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ProgressMich/status/1069960793410715649

only because saying "lol" would be bad form

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jose posted:

It's insane to me that politicians get months after losing an election to enact a bunch of laws

I can't believe the American republic a rotting shitheap?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan is one of the states that enacted term limits in the 90's so our state is literally run by lobbyists. Every time someone says we need term limits at the national level I do my best to explain why that's bad but they just get mad and tell me I'm an idiot.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/MIHouseDems/status/1069996449834942464

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Welp,

https://twitter.com/rich_win_again/status/1070113296697704448

:smith:

On to the Michigan Senate. If it passes there, Snyder will sign it and Michigan workers will be deeper in the poor house for over a decade.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Dec 5, 2018

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Could a ballot initiative overturn these laws?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
explain to me again why cant the new legislature just pass bills undoing all of this fuckery, in MI, WI, and elsewhere

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

logikv9 posted:

explain to me again why cant the new legislature just pass bills undoing all of this fuckery, in MI, WI, and elsewhere

The legislature will still be Republican.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Giggy posted:

Could a ballot initiative overturn these laws?

That's the thing, these laws were originally ballot initiatives that the Michigan legislature preemptively passed before the election so they wouldn't be on the ballot. They did this so they could do this after the election. Fun fact: In Michigan, any citizen ballot initiative the state leg decides to vote on and pass does not require the Governor's signature to become law.

logikv9 posted:

Because the state legislature thanks to gerrymandering is still majority Republican and will vote down any attempt to do so. It's a smaller majority now, but they still have more seats than the Dems.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

logikv9 posted:

you voted these people in

you voted these people in.

you voted these.

and now you are mad because you voted these people in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

red sampson posted:

you voted these people in

you voted these people in.

you voted these.

and now you are mad because you voted these people in.

The Democrats won the popular vote for the state senate by over a hundred thousand votes you dumbass. This state is one of the most severely gerrymandered in the country and not nearly enough people recognize that fact. We recognized it, which is why we passed the goddamn anti-gerrymandering amendment the legislature is actively trying to gently caress with.

E: For the record:

Democratic votes for State Senate seats: 2,074,712. Seats won: 16

Republican votes for State Senate seats: 1,968,739. Seats won: 22

Acebuckeye13 has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Dec 5, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ah I didn't realize the legislatures were still gop. this is so loving lol

hmm why doesn't the governor fix all these problems, it's certainly not because we took away all of their power. better vote them out and put in a republican with real power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I feel like NC tried this and they got owned in court. what about MI/WI?