Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Geez the guy who got his arm blown off and mechanics killed had it rough.
Why was his mechbay anywhere near the battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sjs00 posted:

Geez the guy who got his arm blown off and mechanics killed had it rough.
Why was his mechbay anywhere near the battle

It wasn't, a scout 'Mech got through the lines and was looking for weak points, and there was some nice squishy Tech's to blow up. A shutdown 'Mech is just a giant target and not hard to cripple with even a light 'Mech.

But it was also probably like an aid station in WWII. If you got messed up, you ran back and they threw some quick armor patches and reloaded your ammo before you headed back to the lines so it wouldn't be too far from the lines.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
One important note about vehicles, and the other reason melee is so good against them: Unlike a mech, if any section of a vehicle is destroyed, the entire vehicle dies. Since melee does double damage, and all that damage is applied to one single section, you will nearly always take out that entire section, which will kill the vehicle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There are tons of mostly unsecure field workshops for repair in Battletech, for a variety of reasons. Among which are all the good protected ones are being hogged by nobles, the ones you have are on dropships and they can't always risk taking off to move along with the campaign if it strays, and salvage operations that have to be done in a hurry near a combat zone.

Another question though, does it really say a Cbill represents a millisecond of Comms? I thought for sure it was a whole second.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

evilmiera posted:

There are tons of mostly unsecure field workshops for repair in Battletech, for a variety of reasons. Among which are all the good protected ones are being hogged by nobles, the ones you have are on dropships and they can't always risk taking off to move along with the campaign if it strays, and salvage operations that have to be done in a hurry near a combat zone.

Another question though, does it really say a Cbill represents a millisecond of Comms? I thought for sure it was a whole second.

I think it depends on the source, some of the novels/source books say it's about the same as 2 pages of a text document.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think one cbill used to equal one second, but now it's one millisecond because BattleTech was created in the 80s, and just how fast things would get was not really predicted. Shadowrun ran into a similar problem, where it used to try assigning file sizes to everything (even though it used the fictional "pulse" as the basic data unit, as opposed to our "byte"), but because the size of real-world storage was growing so much faster than the file size of real-world pictures and especially text, the creators just threw their hands up and said "gently caress it, you can store any amount of text and still pictures, as long as you aren't deliberately being a loving dingus."

It's a similar situation here. An audio file that would've taken me hours to download back in the day can now be trivially streamed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Inflation is hell.

Not sure anyone who runs a mech makes a living from anything but salvage.

Maybe Solaris payouts.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Inflation is hell.

Not sure anyone who runs a mech makes a living from anything but salvage.

Maybe Solaris payouts.

Differences between the lore and actual game mechanics skew this a bit too. Like, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but in the lore I think most mercenaries have to own their own mech. If your personal mech gets destroyed you're basically ruined.

In this game (and all others I've seen with merc squads) that never happens though. The mechs are owned by the company, the pilots are hired separately and they earn only their pay vouchers, which I assume is a percentage of the mission take. The company owns all the mechs, collects all the salvage and does all the outfitting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Differences between the lore and actual game mechanics skew this a bit too. Like, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but in the lore I think most mercenaries have to own their own mech. If your personal mech gets destroyed you're basically ruined.

In this game (and all others I've seen with merc squads) that never happens though. The mechs are owned by the company, the pilots are hired separately and they earn only their pay vouchers, which I assume is a percentage of the mission take. The company owns all the mechs, collects all the salvage and does all the outfitting.

It most likely differs a lot depending on the source, again. And probably a bunch of different mercenary outfits run themselves differently. At the very least, in the game itself you would have a hell of a time convincing your mechwarriors (and yourself!) to part with their ancestral mechs to fix the balance sheets of your company. After you start acquiring more though, that's probably all the company's property.

My only real issue with C-bills being for a millisecond is all those instant conversations you seem to have, but that could be hand-waved as all being recorded then sent in bursts.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MechaCrash posted:

One minor formatting thing: instead of putting the footnote explanations at the end of the conversation, can you put them right under the line where it's explained? Saves a lot of scrolling up and down for people who need it. Basically, instead of:

:v:: I am giving exposition (with a term that is explained)!
:shobon:: I am responding to that.
:v:: We go back and forth for several paragraphs!
(footnote explantion)

It'd be:

:v:: I am giving explanation (with a term that is explained)!
(footnote explanation)
:shobon:: I am responding to that.
:v:: We go back and forth for several paragraphs!

I'll give it a try, I've edited the character backstory post and I'll do the same to the next dump.

There'll be an actual gameplay video this weekend, but before then, each character has a bunch of tutorial stuff.

I'm not even getting into the BT economy, except that just like MW4:M, you'll start using 'Mechs as credit. Never not salvage

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah it is rather unfortunate that it is almost always the superior option when negotiating. There is only one mission type I would say is the exception to the rule.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The good news is there are campaign options for salvage, how much you get and the parts to 'Mech ratio. If you up the salvage needed to build a 'Mech, then suddenly salvage value drops and its vital to take cash payments to ensure you remain liquid. Even before that was a New Game option, I had a mod that upped the parts to 5, and only gave you full parts for killing the pilot- any destroyed section equaled one less salvage.

To me, the bigger issue is actually the fact negotiations rely on luck, because if you take salvage and theres only vehicles, oh well. But if you take money and you pilot kill an Atlas, lol get hosed. Its why I've hoped they add the ability to pay a premium for extra priority salvage. It would be an option that loses you money, but it would really help if you find a lot of rare salvage that would be worth the cost.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

evilmiera posted:

It most likely differs a lot depending on the source, again. And probably a bunch of different mercenary outfits run themselves differently. At the very least, in the game itself you would have a hell of a time convincing your mechwarriors (and yourself!) to part with their ancestral mechs to fix the balance sheets of your company. After you start acquiring more though, that's probably all the company's property.

My only real issue with C-bills being for a millisecond is all those instant conversations you seem to have, but that could be hand-waved as all being recorded then sent in bursts.

No, the unit of measure for 1 c-bill is a millisecond or 2 pages of text or whatever it is. That's just the standard economic unit they use. Comstar is more than happy to set up a video feed for you, bearing in mind that the stations have to align perfectly across interstellar distances for long enough and each millisecond of video is going to cost way, way more than 1 C-bill. The size of a 2 page text document is nothing compared to an image file, and she's paying for a full video feed for multiple minutes. Those calls probably cost as much as or more than a 'Mech.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bLSNBOtoE

Contact
In Orbit- Bellerophon

- All right, everybody, gather round. After our last talk, I bit the bullet and started fishing around for uncertified contracts. And I might—I repeat, might—have caught us something.

- Who's the client?

- Unknown—she didn't ID herself in the message. But she claims to be a member of the Canopian1 elite. She says that she's got a big job lined up, and she wants us for it. Us specifically. She called the Commander out by name.
1- Magistracy of Canopus: The Magistracy of Canopus is a large Periphery state, located rimward and anti-spinward of Terra, just beyond the Free Worlds League. Founded explicitly as a matriarchy, the Magistracy is ruled by a Magestrix, a position open only to women, and usually held by a member of the founding Centrella family. Independent since the fall of the Star League, the Magistracy has remained mostly untouched by the Succession Wars, except by the overall collapse of trade and travel. The Magistracy is famed for its social and cultural freedom, with no consensual behavior forbidden by law or custom. The current ruler of the Magistracy is the Magestrix Kyalla Centrella, who harbors a deep grudge against the Inner Sphere, and the Free Worlds League in particular.

- How would she even know about us in the first place? It isn't like we're drowning in publicity out here.

- Good question… and I'm betting we don't have an answer. You're certain this "client" isn't really a bounty hunter? 'Cause I can list off about five different banks that'd all love to repossess this ship.

- We're shopping for uncertified contracts behind the Review Board's back, Yang. Hell no, I'm not certain. But for what it's worth, I can confirm that she's rich. She reached out to us with a priority HPG2 message, and those things ain't cheap.
2- HyperPulse Generator: The HyperPulse Generator, or HPG, is a device capable of sending terabytes of compressed information from one point to another at faster-than-light speeds. All modern HPG arrays are owned and operated by ComStar.

- (Origin: Loner) Following up on this will be risky, sure. But I've never let that stop me before.

- That's the spirit. And besides, we need this. We've been hemorrhaging C-Bills out here for way too long as it is. Meeting with a mystery client sounds totally reasonable to me, given the circumstances. I mean… what's the worst that could happen?

- Our "new client" vents us out the airlock, and our corpses spend the rest of forever tumbling through the icy vastness of space.

- Thanks for that delightful image, Yang. Look, Duncan—I'll admit, this is sketchy as hell. But it's also the best lead we're likely to find. If you want to follow up, plot a course to Bellerophon—the client will be waiting.

Benefactor
In Orbit- Bellerophon, 0 Hours Later

- Mr. Oliveira. Thank you for honoring my request to meet. I am Ana Maria Centrella. You've heard of my family, I'm sure.

- Lady Centrella. This… is a surprise. I wouldn't expect a member of the Canopian royal family to even know who we are, let alone approach us in such a… nontraditional manner.

- This isn't a traditional contract, and I don't need ComStar3 asking questions. Besides, there's no reason to involve the Mercenary Review Board—I already know that I want to hire you. Have I piqued your interest, Commander Fisher?
3- ComStar: Founded by Jerome Blake after the Amaris Civil War, ComStar was created to preserve and maintain the Star League's vast communications network. With Hyperpulse Generator facilities on nearly every inhabited system in the Inner Sphere, its influence is felt everywhere. Thankfully, ComStar takes a strictly neutral approach to Inner Sphere politics; it takes no sides and offers no preferential treatment. Culturally, ComStar has lapsed from a corporation into a religious institution. In Blake's name, ComStar adepts perpetuate the belief that Hyperpulse transmissions are a form of sacred magic that only they can control.

- My interest? Sure. But I need to hear details before I'm willing to commit to anything.

- Of course, Commander Fisher. I'd expect nothing less. The job that I have for you is relatively simple. I need you to recover something for me, and I need it done quietly.

- How do you know about— You know what? It doesn't matter. Just tell us what we're supposed to be "recovering."

- This.

Lady Centrella's image is replaced on the screen by a grainy photograph of an enormous grounded DropShip. Ramshackle structures cling to it like barnacles.

- She's a derelict vessel, an Argo. One of only two ever made. For over two hundred years, she's been lying in state on Axylus, a pirate moon in the heart of the Frontier. I want her, and you are going to bring her to me.

- Yeah? And how, exactly, are we supposed to do that? I mean… that's a big ship, and she looks half-cannibalized for parts. Look, you can see her ribs in the photo. I'm as enthusiastic about money as the next guy, but I'm a MechTech, not an aerospace engineer. I'll be damned if I can get that thing flying again.

- Relax, Mr. Virtanen. I have engineering staff on hand to attend to the Argo. Their leader, Dr. Farah Murad, has built quite a reputation for herself in the Frontier. You'll find a JumpShip waiting for you at Alloway. It will carry you to the pirate moon, where you'll clear a path to the crash site. Dr. Murad and her team will go to work on the derelict, and you will protect them until the work is done.

This should all be well within your capabilities, Commander Fisher… unless I've come to the wrong company, of course.

- (Background: Solaris Gladiator) I've fought against legends, Lady Centrella. Pirates don't worry me.

- Then I can see no reason why you shouldn't accept my offer. Do the job well enough, and there'll be more work waiting for you upon your return. Mr. Oliveira will never find you a better opportunity than the one I'm offering, Commander Fisher. I can promise you that.

- She isn't wrong, Duncan. We were looking for a lifeline, and I think this is as close as we're gonna get.

- Okay, Lady Centrella. You've got yourself some mercenaries.

- Very good. I'll forward your contract to Mr. Oliveira. You know, Commander Fisher… your exploits on Solaris VII are remembered in the Magistracy. I watched some of your fights myself—I saw your potential. Let's hope that you live up to it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
This contract doesn't sound fishy at all.

Good thing we have a (Duncan) Fisher to fix that for you! ;)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

berryjon posted:

This contract doesn't sound fishy at all.

Good thing we have a (Duncan) Fisher to fix that for you! ;)

Actually, something I forgot.

Can anyone see the one big hole in Centrella's logic with how she is proceeding?

Hint- it's related to some of the annotated notes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

Actually, something I forgot.

Can anyone see the one big hole in Centrella's logic with how she is proceeding?

Hint- it's related to some of the annotated notes.

She's reaching out to us with an HPG transmission but doesn't want Comstar snooping?

Also, shame on you for not making that Shad an SRM boat. You monster.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Warcrime Counter ticked up again, but I don't know why. :confused:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MechaCrash posted:

The Warcrime Counter ticked up again, but I don't know why. :confused:

Stomping on a Lance of tanks in disrepair isn't much more uneven then fighting leg infantry. Which also isn't a warcrime, just highly distasteful to anyone outside the DCMS

Technowolf posted:

She's reaching out to us with an HPG transmission but doesn't want Comstar snooping?

Also, shame on you for not making that Shad an SRM boat. You monster.

Hopefully I can rectify this for you come Xmas. I've recorded up to a point where I'm ready to go full custom builds

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Welp, Xmas parties have happened. So my plans went to poo poo, but the good news is I got 2 weeks of free time now :toot:

So some housekeeping on this thread-

1- OP will be looked at after the next video, mostly just links to posts with dialogue and special ones, such as-

2- MechLab shenanigans! I was holding off on this until the video featuring my big salvage windfall hit, but I figure it'll be worth mentioning now, 'Mech spoilers be damned.
I have a decent amount of basic weapons, a Spider, a Vindicator, 2 Shadowhawks, a Centurion and the Ancestral Blackjack. I've hit the point I want to begin going full custom loadout, so make some suggestions and I'll do my best.

To give an example, someone mentioned off hand about an SRM Hawk. So I'll be slapping those SRM6 launchers I keep finding to one of them.

3- Next video should be out Xmas Day, what with upload times.

4- Later today I'm going to dump the tutorial conversations, so expect a wall of text.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I say we build the Dekker Must Die: Outfit that Spider with jumpjets and a bunch of short-range weapons. We jump Dekker in, shoot someone in the back and then either they die or he does.

Death or Glory!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
oh come on, what are the odds of comstar reading EVERYONE's mail. we're probably fine.

this message brought to you by Comstar: We're Definitely Just A Utility Company

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Get a mech with a lot of support weapon and energy weapon mounts, load it up with small and medium lasers, go head melting.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

BATTLETECH currently on sale on Steam.

Back to the wall of text-

How To Battletech: In Game Tutorial Conversations

Dropship Tutorial 1.1- Darius, Finances, MechWarriors

- "I've got some questions about running this company."

"Sure thing, Motormouth—I'd be happy to help. What do you need to know?"

- "(Tutorial: Contracts) Remind me what I need to know about mercenary contracts."

"Outfits like ours depend on the Mercenary Review Board to post certified contracts working for reliable employers. I say "reliable," but let's face it, Duncan—most jobs come down to us doing the work that the rich and powerful can't be seen doing. Mercenaries are deniable assets.

We travel from system to system, picking up jobs and making ends meet. Sure, space travel costs C-Bills, but some employers are desperate enough to pay travel expenses for mercenaries willing to make a few jumps for a gig."

- "(Tutorial: Contract Intel) What intel will I get about a contract before I accept it?"

"Most employers will give us enough info to understand who we're fighting and why. Some are cagier than others, but by and large, they want us to succeed. Because of this, we generally get enough intel to get the job done. It isn't a perfect system, but it works well enough.

There are a few key things to look for in a contract. First, you need to understand what type of mission it is. Next, you should take account of the climate conditions in the area of operation. Finally, it's important to know the expected strength of the opposing force, or "OpFor"—vital, even."

- "Tell me about the types of missions we may be offered."

"In my experience, most contracts come down to one or more of a few basic ideas: blowing something up, taking someone down, keeping something safe, or making a mess with heavy ordnance. There'll be variations here and there, sure. But for the most part, our jobs are gonna fit into one of those categories. Giant, bipedal weapon platforms aren't exactly known for their subtlety."

- "Tell me about climate conditions."

"If you're not watching the climate conditions, you're not in full command of the battlefield. In most environments, you've gotta watch your MechWarriors' weapon fire and Jump Jet use so they don't overheat their BattleMechs. Badlands and deserts make your 'Mechs run hotter, so you're gonna want to pay careful attention when you're fighting there.

Low-atmosphere, non-terraformed planets are worse. You'd be wise to swap out some Energy weapons for Ballistic weapons in those environments or pack on some extra Heat Sinks. But the vacuum of lunar environments is the worst. It's counterintuitive, I know… space is cold, right? But no atmosphere means basically no Heat dispersion, and you're sitting on top of a fusion reactor. Use your Jump Jets sparingly or you'll be shut down in no time.

All that being said? Frozen environments are like heaven for our MechWarriors. The Heat from weapon fire and Jump Jets dissipates at a much greater rate, and you'll have the maximum options on the battlefield."

- "Tell me about mission difficulty."

"It's important to have an idea of what you'll be up against once your lance hits the ground. Unfortunately, mercenaries are often on the rear end end of mission intel, and the most we'll usually get is a rating of the enemy's overall strength. At best, a mission's difficulty rating will give us an idea of our postmission repair bills and Med Bay time—or a signal that we should avoid the mission altogether until we can bring bigger guns.

As a general rule, we should field the heaviest 'Mechs we can on a given mission. Bigger isn't always better, though. Speed and mobility are important on escort and other missions where flexibility is as valuable as firepower. I'll try and give you a heads-up when we're offered missions like that."

- "Can I withdraw from a contract?"

"Absolutely. That's the great thing about being a merc—it isn't our fight. We're here to make money, not die for a cause. You can back out of contract negotiations at any time with no harm done. But once we deploy onto a battlefield, it gets a little trickier.

If things start going sideways during a mission, you can still withdraw to save on repair bills and Med Bay time—but it may still cost us. If we withdraw before achieving any objectives and destroying at least one enemy, the Mercenary Review Board will rule it a Bad Faith Withdrawal. Not only will we not get paid, we won't get any battlefield salvage either. Plus, our reputation will suffer, both with our employer and with the MRB.

Now, if we withdraw after achieving an objective and destroying at least one enemy, then the Board will rule it a Good Faith Withdrawal. Our pay will still be reduced, but our reputation won't take a hit, and that's important for business.

One last thing on this subject. If one of your 'Mechs is getting banged up bad and it looks like a MechWarrior may not make it out alive, you can order them to eject during combat. Sumire will fly suborbital and recover them, and we'll scoop up their 'Mech after the mission."

- "Tell me about reputation."

"Our mercenary outfit's reputation determines the quality of the contracts we're offered, the quality of the MechWarriors willing to hire on with us, and the deals we get on weapons, 'Mechs, and equipment in local stores. Most employers won't offer us the really juicy contracts until we've proven ourselves over time. But once our rep is solid, we'll get access to some high-paying gigs with opportunities for some serious battlefield salvage."

- "Why is salvage so important?"

"If C-Bills are like blood, salvage is like food for a mercenary company. Or something like that. I don't really do analogies. Let's just leave it at, "Salvage is good." Here's why. Salvage lets you replace components you've lost, or upgrade your 'Mechs to better suit your combat tactics. And if you don't end up needing the salvage you get, you can always sell it off at the nearest store.

Salvage rights are a time-honored tradition in the mercenary trade, and figuring out who gets what at the end of an engagement is a vital part of our business. In addition to C-Bills, most contracts will offer salvage, reflected as a ratio like "2/10." The first number represents how many priority salvage items we get to handpick after a battle. The second number is the total amount of salvage we'll get, subject to the whims of our employer. You can negotiate salvage rights for every mission you accept, so keep it in mind."

- "How do I negotiate a contract?"

"Mercenary contract negotiation is pretty straightforward out here in the Periphery. It's all based on the Golden Triangle: C-Bills, salvage, and reputation. C-Bills are the coin of the realm, so to speak. We use C-Bills to pay for travel expenses, upkeep on our ship, salaries for our crew, and repairs or refits for our 'Mechs. C-Bills keep us flying.

Salvage is part of our take, too. The more salvage we take off the battlefield, the fewer C-Bills are deposited in our account. The fewer C-Bills we ask for, the more salvage we can get. Now you may want to take less money and less salvage in order to increase our reputation with the party offering the contract. Yeah, it'll cost us now, but the investment could really pay off later down the road."

- "(Tutorial: Finances) Tell me about how our outfit's finances work."

"It's pretty simple, really. Every 30 days, we have to pay the crew and cover our regular operating expenses—upkeep for the 'Mechs we have ready in our Mech Bays, upgrades to our equipment, things like that. So if we don't have enough C-Bills to cover our operating costs at the end of the month when our Financial Report comes due, we're out of business.

Merc life doesn't allow for second chances. Remember that when you're ordering weapon refits and ship upgrades, and make sure to reserve enough to cover our monthly nut."

- "I'm sure that this is obvious, but I'm gonna ask you anyway: how can I raise the operating costs of our company?"

"Obviously, the more MechWarriors we hire, the more we've gotta pay out each month. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to have a strong bench. You never know when someone's gonna take one in the meat and be out of action for a while. Any upgrades we make to the ship will have upkeep costs, too. Yeah, they're advantages, but they're advantages that require ongoing maintenance—and that costs C-Bills."

- "How can I lower our operating costs?"

"Well, for starters, consider putting the 'Mechs you don't plan to field for a while into storage. Although it'll require time and C-Bills to refit their equipment and ready them for combat, stored 'Mechs have no upkeep costs. By the way, remember that you can sell 'Mech chassis and equipment if we're ever low on cash or you see something shiny in a store that you've just gotta have.

Anyway, back to operating costs… you can always dismiss a MechWarrior if you're having a hard time making payroll. And every month, you get to decide how generous to be with their pay. Careful though—a mercenary's salary has a direct affect on their Morale."

- "(Tutorial: MechWarriors) Let's talk about my MechWarriors."

"Sure, what do you want to know?"

- "How much do I need to worry about their Morale?"

"Mercenaries aren't like members of the Royal Guard, Motormouth. They're in it for the paycheck, not for loyalty to some noble house. Because of this, keeping their spirits up is important. MechWarriors with high Morale get Inspired more often on the battlefield. Their heads are in the game. And Inspired MechWarriors can create opportunities.

I've seen Inspired MechWarriors make Precision Strikes I thought were impossible, focusing their fire at one location on a speeding enemy as if it were standing still on a shooting range 25 yards away while wearing a sign that said "SHOOT ME" in neon green. Inspired MechWarriors show amazing Vigilance, too. They seem to have an uncanny ability to blunt incoming damage and have heightened reflexes, so they act faster on the battlefield. Amazing stuff.

On the other hand, I've seen mercs with low Morale up and leave an outfit like ours without warning. Sometimes you'll see it coming, sometime you won't. So yeah, you need to worry about their Morale, Motormouth. You're the boss."

- "What sort of control do I have over their training?"

"MechWarriors gain experience in every mission they complete. You can chart their training and guide their development in four skills: Gunnery, Piloting, Guts, and Tactics. As they become stronger in a particular skill, your MechWarriors gain access to special abilities that can be used in combat. The first ability is the MechWarrior's specialization. MechWarriors can have only two specializations total, so pay attention when you're training them. The first two they acquire are the only two they'll have.

The second ability is the MechWarrior's expertise. MechWarriors get only one of those, and it has to be from one of their specializations. Whichever expertise they learn first is the only one they'll have. So, three abilities total per MechWarrior. That's a lot of possible combinations; you'll need to decide for yourself which abilities work best together according to your command style.

Lastly, nearly every skill increase also grants a minor boost to some facet of combat performance. MechWarriors can become more accurate with ranged or Melee attacks, can keep their 'Mechs stable longer under sustained fire, or even take more injuries before being incapacitated. Hell, they can even get better at taking Called Shots when the opportunity comes up."

- "Do more experienced MechWarriors require higher salaries?"

"Wouldn't you? As MechWarriors grow in skills and abilities, their salaries will grow with them. It's possible to hire skilled MechWarriors in the Hiring Halls of the systems we visit, but they'll have higher salary requirements than MechWarriors you've trained yourself."

- "(Tutorial: Events) Is there any general info you'd like to share?"

"Things happen on a mercenary ship, Duncan. All the time. You throw a bunch of 'Mech jockeys in a confined space with technicians and crew for months on end, you're gonna see some spillover from the battlefield. And operating a merc outfit isn't a glamorous lifestyle. There are hard choices to be made on a regular basis—anything from breaking up a fight over petty bullshit to dealing with faulty power couplings.

Still, I wouldn't trade this for just about anything. We go where we want, we fight who we want, and we have only one god we obey—the mighty C-Bill. Well… and you, I guess. Yeah. It's the merc life for me, Motormouth. All the way to the end."

Dropship Tutorial 1.2- Sumire, Navigation, Starmap

- "I've got some questions about navigation."

"Sure, ask away. I mean, it's kind of important that you understand what you're doing, so if I can help with that, I'm all for it."

- "(Tutorial: Ship Navigation) Okay, Navigator, how do we get from system to system?"

"The short answer is that you pick a destination on the star map, and I make it happen. Interstellar travel takes time—sometimes weeks—and it'll cost us C-Bills for fuel and passage on a JumpShip, but it's the only way for an outfit like ours to survive out here. We go where the work is."

- "What intel can I get about a system before choosing to go there?"

"Enough to make a reasonably informed choice, I think. The star map makes political boundaries clear, so you'll know whose space we're entering. I've preprogrammed the star map to lock out travel to systems designated as no-fly zones. We're looking for work, not an interstellar incident.

Beyond political boundaries, the nav system will highlight political factions active in the system. That should give you a good idea of who's hiring. It's probably a good idea to check our reputation with the local factions before ordering a long voyage."

- "There's got to be more intel than just the local politics."

"There is. As you select systems on the star map, you'll see a list of the attributes the MercNet database associates with them. Attributes like "black market" or "poor" are clues to local store contents, the type of mercs we'll find in hiring halls, contracts we may be offered, and potential mission environments. If you hover over an attribute, the star map will display a longer description for you.

Beyond the political factions and attributes of a system, perhaps the most important to watch for is the difficulty rating of the merc contracts we'll find there. The MRB maintains a standardized rating system, so folks like us who're trolling MercNet for jobs can weigh the risks before accepting a contract."

- "What else can you tell me about the mechanics of space travel? I want to know it all."

"Well, the long answer is that there's two types of space travel: travel by DropShips like ours, and travel by JumpShips. DropShips travel under one G of thrust to move from a planet's orbit to a jump point. Jump points are far outside the gravity well of the star, and so travel to and from a jump point takes most of our travel time—sometimes weeks.

JumpShips, on the other hand, are like ferries. They just sit at a jump point waiting for folks like us to latch onto their docking collar. Then we wait there for about five days while they spin up their jump drive. Once the jump drive is spun up, popping a dozen light-years across interstellar space to another jump point takes nearly no time at all."

- "I've heard stories about "pirate points" that a JumpShip can use. What are those?"

"They're bad news, Commander. Difficult to locate and dangerous to use. I've heard of people using pirate points in desperate situations or on covert missions, but it's not worth the risk of a misjump. You won't find any pirate points on my star map, I can tell you that. Let's just avoid 'em."

- "Do we always have to pay our way from system to system?"

"Not always, no. If you check the contracts list in the Command Center, you'll often find employers posting travel contracts. Travel contracts are how employers attract mercenaries to their system—by paying the outfit's travel expenses.

Now, I know what you're thinking—why not take the travel contract and then skip out on their mission for a more lucrative contract when we arrive? You can do that, Motormouth, but we'll automatically get charged the cost of the jump. You know that old saying, "There's no such thing as a free ride"? …Yeah. Unfortunately, it's still true."

- "(Tutorial: Star Map) The star map confuses me sometimes. Why does it take longer to get to one place than to another when the systems appear to be the same distance apart?"

"Yeah, that bothered me too before I joined the academy. Turns out that in real life, space travel isn't like what you see in the adventure Holovids that Darius makes us watch. For starters, some stars are more massive than others. In the case of a really big star, you have to range pretty far afield to find a location suitable for a K-F jump. And for us, that means a whole lot of molasses-slow sub-light travel before we can even dock with a JumpShip, let alone ride it anywhere.

JumpShip charging times are the other half of the travel time equation. A JumpShip's K-F drive will take a few days to recharge after each jump, so if your destination is a few jumps away… well, you get where I'm going with this. And that's the long and the short of it. Anytime we want to go from one system to another, we're talking about weeks of sub-light travel, coupled with a healthy dose of hurry-up-and-wait. Exactly how much determines how long the trip is gonna take."

- "(Tutorial: Stores and the Hiring Hall) What can I do while we're orbiting in-system?"

"Beyond negotiating a contract? Most inhabited systems maintain a hiring hall where we can recruit new MechWarriors. Be sure to take a look—you never know what kind of talent you're going to find. Most systems also have merchants who can buy and sell hardware such as weapons, equipment, and 'Mech parts—sometimes even fully operational BattleMechs, too.

Our reputation with the local faction will influence costs when purchasing equipment and hiring MechWarriors. The better our rep, the better the deal we'll get—and the better the MechWarriors who'll be willing to sign on with us."

Dropship Tutorial 1.3- Yang, Combat, Mechlab

- "I've got a few questions about the Mech Bay."

"Yeah? Then hit me with 'em. I'll do what I can to answer. I mean, I don't wanna wax poetic or nothin', but the Mech Bay is where the magic happens, Boss. It's the beating heart of a mercenary outfit."

- "(Tutorial: Mech Bay) Anything I should know about the Mech Bays themselves?"

"Beyond each cubicle holding one BattleMech? Not much. It's all about capacity. The more Mech Bays we have, the more 'Mechs we can keep battle-ready. And the more 'Mechs we have battle-ready, the more flexibility you have in your deployment options.

Let's say we had two Blackjacks, for example. A decent medium 'Mech, for sure. I know your family gave you yours. One could be loaded out with lots of Energy weapons for use in colder environments where they can bleed Heat quickly. The other identical Blackjack could be loaded out with Ballistic weapons that require ammo but generate much less Heat. Smart for deploying in warmer climates or in vacuum where Heat dissipation is slower."

- "(Tutorial: 'Mech Storage) Why use 'Mech storage?"

"A few reasons. First, we have limited capacity in the Mech Bay, so we need to store the overstock for eventual sale or for use in the future. Second, we don't pay upkeep costs on 'Mechs in storage. That's a business thing, though. Not my department. Third—and this is important—whenever we pick up partial 'Mech salvage from the battlefield, I put it in storage for you.

If we gather or buy enough partial 'Mech salvage to complete a BattleMech chassis, my team will assemble it right away. You let me know if you want to keep it in storage or have it readied it for combat. BattleMechs are expensive as hell, so assembling one out of salvage is our best bet for expanding our roster."

- "What happens when a 'Mech goes into or gets readied from storage?"

"When you send a 'Mech chassis into storage, our MechTechs dismount all its weapons and equipment and place them in your inventory for use on other chassis. A chassis can stay in storage indefinitely. And don't worry about storage capacity, Boss. I'll make it fit, don't you worry.

Now, getting a stored BattleMech ready for a combat drop is a different animal. My techs will need a couple of days to bring an empty chassis up from storage. Once the chassis is back in the Mech Bay, you'll need to select its loadout from our equipment inventory so we can start a refit. The time and cost of a refit is dependent on the type and amount of equipment you choose."

- "(Tutorial: 'Mech Components) I've been wondering about the components you can put on our 'Mechs."

"One of my favorite topics! In the Mech Bay, you can browse all the equipment we have available in inventory. There are two types of components I can install on a BattleMech: weapons and equipment. "

- "Tell me about Ballistic weapons."

"Ballistic weapons such as the Autocannon pack a good punch, generate little Heat, and can destabilize an enemy if they hit it enough. But Ballistic weapons are… y'know… Ballistic, so they require ammo. And ammo can explode if it takes a hit in combat, which is bad news all around. Ballistic weapons are also pretty heavy and can take up a lot of space on a 'Mech. Strengths and weaknesses, Boss... strengths and weaknesses."

- "Tell me about Energy weapons. "

"Energy weapons don't use any ammo, but they generate a lot of Heat. You may need to invest in additional Heat Sinks keep your 'Mech cool if you choose an Energy-heavy loadout.

Since they're intense beams of coherent light, Energy weapons are great for cutting things up, but they aren't much good at destabilizing an enemy. The Particle Projector Cannon is the one big exception to that rule; in addition to the massive damage it can inflict, a hit from a PPC can destabilize an enemy—maybe even slow it down a bit. The PPC generates a metric poo poo-ton of Heat, but it's worth it, Boss. And if that wasn't enough, it has a mild EM punch that screws with the enemy's targeting systems."

- "Tell me about Missile weapons."

"Missile weapons are my favorites. Yeah, they require ammo and generate moderate Heat, but the pounding they deliver can destabilize an enemy faster than most other weapons. And having multiple projectiles in a shot means you're almost always guaranteed at least a single hit.

Long-Range Missiles are also capable of indirect fire. If one of your units has line of sight on an enemy, it can act as a spotter for LRM-equipped units that don't. With a spotter, a 'Mech equipped with LRMs can stay behind cover and arc its missiles to hit the enemy. A spotter can increase your launchers' effective range, too. Granted, the enemy can do the same to you, but that's someone else's problem.

I don't want to sell Short-Range Missiles short, though. They can generate incredible impact, and they do great damage. But you've gotta be within knife-fight range to use 'em."

- "Tell me about Support weapons."

"Support weapons are lighter than the others—Small Lasers, Machine Guns, that kind of thing. I programmed our targeting computers to automatically fire them after a Melee attack if they're activated. I've seen commanders order refits that remove most conventional weapons to double down on Support weapons. With the right Melee-enhancing components, they can field monsters capable of point-blank devastation."

- "Tell me about the other types of equipment you can refit on a 'Mech."

"It's a big list, Boss. I suggest you check the store in every system we travel to. You never know what you'll find. I can install stronger cockpits to reduce the injuries our MechWarriors will take. Arm actuators that increase Melee damage. Rangefinders that increase the range at which enemies can be visually acquired. All sorts of stuff.

All take up critical slots on a BattleMech. Some add weight, too. Keep your eyes open for 'em and give them a good once-over before you buy one, so you know what you're getting into. Now, putting powerful weapons and equipment on your 'Mechs is fine and all, but remember the trade-off is always armor. You know how they say the best defense is a strong offense? …"They" aren't on the battlefield. Don't skimp on the armor, Boss, or all that expensive equipment will get reduced to junk with the enemy's first salvo."

- "I heard that some manufacturers have developed better versions of some weapons."

"True that! Different manufacturers tweak their weapons to deliver more damage, have higher accuracy, destabilize the enemy… a bunch of stuff. The trick is finding them. They're rare out here in the Periphery, so when I see one in a store or a salvage pile, I always mark it with a "+" for you, so you can identify it easily. And some equipment is rarer than others. The more "+" symbols I mark 'em with, the rarer and more useful they are. Keep your eyes peeled! You never know what you're gonna find."

- "(Tutorial: Repairing Damage) How do I repair 'Mech damage after a battle?"

"Whenever you return from a mission, stop by the Mech Bay here to tell me which 'Mechs you want to have repaired. I'm not gonna assume anything—you run this outfit, so you tell me what to spend time and money on. Okay, that's not completely true. If I see armor missing from a BattleMech, I'm gonna repair it automatically. It's standard operating procedure, and we have so much scrap armor lying around that you should consider armor repairs to be free.

Now, if you tell me to repair a 'Mech containing destroyed equipment, the techs will strip that off automatically, too. I'll list the equipment they strip, but you're gonna want to replace it with something. Anyway, like I was saying, armor repairs are free. Internal structure, on the other hand, takes time and C-Bills to fix. If a 'Mech's structure is damaged or missing, I'll flag it for you in orange. Just order the repair, confirm the time and cost, and I'll get it into our work queue."

- "(Tutorial: Changing Loadouts) What if I want to change a 'Mech's loadout? Can I refit it with new weapons and equipment?"

"Oooh, now you're talkin', Boss. You bet you can refit a 'Mech! You can repair it at the same time, too. Just select a BattleMech and order the refit. That'll bring it to the Mech Lab."

- "What can I do in the Mech Lab?"

"The Mech Lab is where you let me know what sorts of modifications you want to make to our stable of BattleMechs. I can install new weapons and equipment, add or remove armor location by location… pretty much anything you want. All it takes is time and money. We've got plenty of both, right?"

- "Are there limits on how I can refit a 'Mech?"

"It's hardware, Motormouth. Of course there are limits. Your biggest constraints are the chassis's weight and its hardpoints."

- "I can't make a 'Mech as heavy as I want?"

"Negative. A 'Mech's chassis can support only so much tonnage in weapons, armor, and equipment. So you need to keep its overall weight in mind when designing a BattleMech's loadout. If your design is over a chassis's weight rating, we can't accept the work order. Now, there are ways of making things fit, of course.

Trade-offs can be made, but you've gotta be careful. We have the ability to remove armor from individual locations in order to squeeze more or bigger weapons on, but less armor is… less armor. You don't wanna wind up with something that'll blow over in a strong breeze—trust me on that. I've seen it happen often enough to know."

- "What's a hardpoint, again?"

"Each location on a BattleMech contains one or more weapon mounts called hardpoints. Hardpoints are only designed for one specific weapon type: Ballistic, Energy, Missile, and Support. However, most 'Mechs contain locations with more than one hardpoint. So, you have some flexibility in what you mount there."

- "How do I know what a 'Mech is good at in the first place?"

"Great question. There are a lot of different BattleMechs out there, and it's hard to know what they were built to do best just by looking at 'em! I mean, I can, of course, but I'm me. You, on the other hand, are gonna need some help. Thankfully, I'm a helpful guy. If you check your technical readouts in the Mech Lab, you'll find that I've included some thoughts about each 'Mech's off-the-rack purpose, or "stock role."

They're only opinions, mind you, but you might find 'em useful. I've also provided access to an itemized list of the equipment that a 'Mech normally carries when you buy it as "stock." Think of it as a 'Mech's "basic recipe.""

- "What happens after I order a refit?"

"Once you confirm your work order, it'll be placed in a queue with other repairs and refits on your Timeline. Remember, a 'Mech will be unavailable for combat until its work order is complete, so plan your refits carefully! I suggest queuing them up before we head to the next system to use our travel time efficiently. If you want to change a 'Mech's placement in the work queue, select Manage Tasks under the Timeline to reprioritize or cancel work orders."

- "How long do repairs and refits normally take?"

"Depends on the Mech Bay conditions you're working in. A good Mech Bay with advanced scaffolding and equipment is faster than one you'll find on a standard Leopard. I display our Mech Bay's efficiency in MechTech points on your travel display under the Finances and Crew Morale readouts. The higher the rating, the faster the repairs."

- "(Tutorial: Heat, Stability, and Modifiers) You seem to know your way around a battlefield, Yang. Any advice?"

"Sure. The better you lead in combat, the less work I have to do when it's over."

- "Let's talk about Heat. "

"Yeah, let's talk about it. I can't emphasize this enough—watch your Heat! Your MechWarriors are sitting on walking fusion reactors out there. Using Jump Jets and firing weapons generates Heat—sometimes lots of it. If one of your 'Mechs gets too hot, you could do damage to its internal structure—or worse, shut down the engine in the middle of combat, leaving it a sitting duck."

- "How can I affect Heat in combat?"

"Each weapon system on a BattleMech can be toggled on or off each time it takes action. Most MechWarriors keep their Heat low by toggling off weapons with lower chances to hit. But sometimes, you'll have a solid chance to hit with everything in your arsenal. That's when you've gotta experiment by toggling a few off to make sure you stay below the red line. And watch the terrain! Moving your 'Mechs into water or over ice helps cool them down, too."

- "How can I make a 'Mech more Heat efficient?"

"Note your 'Mech's Heat Rating in the Mech Lab, and install more Heat Sinks on it if you find that it runs hot in combat. Heat Sinks vent plasma from the 'Mech's engine and do a lot to dissipate the buildup from Jump Jets and weapon fire. Heat Sinks are your friend. You can also always change the weapons on the 'Mech to use more Heat-friendly parts, but obviously that'll change how you use that 'Mech in combat. Trade-offs, Boss! It's aaaall about trade-offs."

- "Let's talk about 'Mech stability."

"Yeah, stability's a smart thing for a Commander to understand, Boss. Getting pummeled by weapon fire is a good way for a 'Mech to become destabilized. Walking over rough terrain doesn't help much, either. Destabilized 'Mechs can't sprint in combat, and they're vulnerable to falling if hit hard enough while in that state."

- "Tell me about how to make my BattleMechs less vulnerable to weapon fire."

"There's a few ways I can think of: Evasion, Cover, and Bracing."

- "Let's hear about Evasion."

"The short-form version is this: the farther a unit goes, the more EVASIVE it becomes. Shooting a moving target is hard, and shooting a faster target is harder. When you order a 'Mech to move in combat, note the number of angled chevrons your command software assigns it. The more chevrons that are displayed, the harder it'll be to hit. Same for the enemy. Sensor Locking an enemy removes two of its Evasion chevrons and makes it easier to hit. Same goes for your units, so be careful."

- "Cover? BattleMechs are kind of big, aren't they?"

"Yup, they're big and scary and dangerous, and they're harder to hit standing in forests and other terrain features. Standing behind buildings or hills is good, too. If the enemy can't see you, they're gonna have a hard time hitting you. It's all about line of sight. Think about it. Think about it all the time. Your enemy is, I guarantee it. If they can see you, a little red eyeball will appear above them in your command software."

- "Mastiff taught me to Brace my 'Mech. But that doesn't make it harder to hit."

"No, Bracing your 'Mech won't make it harder to hit, but it should buffer some of the damage you'll take by half or so. So think about it, eh?"

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Shadowhawk 2H is a pretty ok mech but it has very few heat issues since it barely have any weapons to heat it up with which can be good for some maps but then again you'd better be off punching in that case since it's got such a nice melee damage.

The Blackjack and Vindicator are pretty decent but they quickly lose their value once you get a few better mediums so they're only really good in the absolute beginning when you have little to work with.

The Centurion is a really nice medium with a whole lot of tonnage but since it has a smaller engine than the Shadowhawk it needs to sprint a lot more to get into range unless you either fit it with maximum jumpjets or turn it into a LRM boat which many people do.

The Spider is just... no.

The Locust is even more no than the Spider if you could imagine it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Which type of Shadow Hawk do you have? The -2D has a way better hardpoint configuration than the 2H for making an SRM/close in brawler build. If I can get one of those, I just toss SRM's where ever they fit, and medium and small lasers everywhere else.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

seaborgium posted:

Which type of Shadow Hawk do you have? The -2D has a way better hardpoint configuration than the 2H for making an SRM/close in brawler build. If I can get one of those, I just toss SRM's where ever they fit, and medium and small lasers everywhere else.

Got a pair of -2H. One of them has an LRM-20 jury rigged to it currently

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I always like to load up my Centurion to be an LRM Boat, LRM20 and two LRM5s, or alternately two LRM15s, with two Medium Lasers, four tons of reloads, and as much armor as I can pile on it. The rest of the Medium 'Mech designs such as the Trebuchet I find to be simply too fast for LRMing, as the weight of the engine means I need to sacrifice either armor or armaments to properly missile boat, where as the Cent has enough space left over to not have to choose between thin skin or not enough weapons.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Rorahusky posted:

I always like to load up my Centurion to be an LRM Boat, LRM20 and two LRM5s, or alternately two LRM15s, with two Medium Lasers, four tons of reloads, and as much armor as I can pile on it. The rest of the Medium 'Mech designs such as the Trebuchet I find to be simply too fast for LRMing, as the weight of the engine means I need to sacrifice either armor or armaments to properly missile boat, where as the Cent has enough space left over to not have to choose between thin skin or not enough weapons.

Yep, this works really well. You could even toss out the medium lasers and a bit of armor to strap in a 5 or 10 pod for more long range support. LRM boat Centurions are wonderful for getting reasonable salvage since they can knock most light or medium mechs into unsteady with one barrage. I think I turned the Shadowhawk into a jumpy harasser with lrms and a large laser for more long range sniping.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ayxlus
In Orbit- Axylus, uncharted space

- That was one hell of a rough ride. My stomach is still doing somersaults.

- That's because those crazy bastards used a pirate point1 to get us here. If we'd suffered a misjump, a sour stomach would be the least of your concerns… the Leopard could've gotten irreparably mangled. Hell, we could've been irreparably mangled. The cautionary Holovids they showed us at the Academy were the stuff of nightmares.
1- Pirate Jump Point: Nonstandard jump points that exist inside a system's proximity limit. Pirate jump points—or pirate points, for short—are hellishly difficult to navigate because they tend to be much smaller than standard jump points and are also subject to the effects of planetary gravitation. As a result, the odds of suffering a misjump when attempting to use a pirate point are high.

- When, exactly, did you realize what Centrella's JumpShip crew was planning on doing?

- As we were on our approach to dock with the JumpShip. It was way out of position to use any legitimate jump point. Putting two and two together, I could guess at what they were going to do.

- Here's the million C-Bill question, Meyer. Why didn't you say anything about this before we jumped?

- Because it wouldn't have mattered if I had. We couldn't afford to turn down this job. Given the situation, I figured that ignorance was probably bliss.

- We'll talk about this later, Meyer. But for now, what's done is done. We're here, and there's money to be made. Let's focus on the task at hand. The Argo's crash site is here, smack dab in the middle of a pirate stronghold. The ship, the stronghold, and everything around it belong to a self-styled bandit queen called Grim Sybil. Her gang is the closest thing that Axylus has to a ruling council.

- "Grim Sybil"? Is that supposed to be scary? It sounds like the kind of name you'd choose out of a hat. What do their defenses look like?

- They're patchy at best. I don't think that Axylus gets a lot of visitors. They have strong anti-air cover, but little in the way of ground-based defenses. I'm seeing a lot of vehicles, but BattleMech activity looks light.

- Define "light" BattleMech activity. What are we talking about, exactly?

- I can't put an exact number on it—all I have are surface scans to go on. From what data I do have, I'd expect the pirates to be able to field a full lance of light BattleMechs, all of them in poor repair. There are mixed reports of something bigger—that'll be Grim Sybil's 'Mech. I don't have any information on tonnage or armament. But given the shape that everything else is in on Axylus, I imagine it's being held together with chewing gum and baling wire.

- What else do you have on Grim Sybil? Before today, I'd never heard of her.

- Yeah, I hadn't, either. Centrella's intel says that Grim Sybil mostly stays put on Axylus. But she's got at least a dozen pirate gangs operating under her banner, so she must have something going for her.

Sybil's bio is pretty sparse… there isn't a lot of meat here. Just a note that she came up under Lady Paula Trevaline, the Pirate Queen of the Tortuga Dominions2. I guess that's impressive, having a personal connection to Lady Death3 and all.
2- Tortuga Dominions: A bandit kingdom made up of entire systems of planets in the Periphery. The Tortuga Dominions' ruthless raids are a thorn in the side of both the Federated Suns and the Taurian Concordat.
3- Lady Death: Paula Trevaline was born in the pirate kingdom of the Tortuga Dominions and rose through the ranks to become supreme leader of its legions in 3015. Her reputation for bravado and cruelty inspires devotion in her followers as much as it does fear in her enemies.

- "Lady Death"? Really? I swear, man, these pirate names are killing me.

- Are MechWarrior callsigns really any better, Yang?

- Hmm. Lemme think about that one, Boss. "Motormouth." No… no, I guess they're not.

- Very clever, wiseass. Now knock it off. Darius, is there anything else worth mentioning in that file? Or can we get back to talking about the mission?

- Well, it looks like Trevaline and Sybil had a falling out… that's not terribly surprising, given the Pirate Queen's track record. Sybil managed to survive somehow—good on her—and she's been living on Axylus ever since. The rest of the report is just a rap sheet. Apparently, our bandit queen has racked up an astonishing number of kills over the years… mostly against merchants and freighter crews, but kills all the same. She likes to get her hands dirty, and she knows her way around a BattleMech. And that's all I've got.

- So the pirates have vehicles and turrets, maybe a few BattleMechs. Got it. Keep going.

- The entire structure is surrounded by radar-guided antiaircraft guns. Your first task will be to take down the radar towers so that Sumire can approach the derelict. After you've secured the crash site, she'll dock with the Argo and drop off the engineering team.

- …And then they'll miraculously get a two-hundred-year-old wreck flying again.

- Lady Centrella has bet a massive stack of C-Bills that they will. For what it's worth, I believe that her chief engineer can pull this off. I'd never heard of Dr. Farah Murad before Lady Centrella mentioned her, but I did some digging after our meeting. She was telling the truth—the Doc has quite a reputation. Supposed to be some kind of Frontier engineering wunderkind, and a genius at bringing dead ships back to life.

- I'll believe it when I see it, but for what it's worth, I hope you're right.

- Yeah, me too. Now that we're here, we're kind of committed to seeing this job through. I'll leave you to it, Duncan. Good hunting on the moon's surface… I'll be keeping an eye on you from up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXvSGnNqS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmNKRqgT0g

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Well,that didn't work out too bad. You can sell the spare ShitHawk to give us a bit of extra money that can be spent on an Urbanmech a real 'Mech

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I'd say keep the Shawk, and drop your Locust. HBS Shadow Hawks are drat fine mechs unlike their tabletop counterparts, and Locusts tend to die if you so much as sneeze on them.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

VolticSurge posted:

Well,that didn't work out too bad. You can sell the spare ShitHawk to give us a bit of extra money that can be spent on an Urbanmech a real 'Mech

Gotcha, full Shadowhawk Lance will be done

EDIT- I'll accept that. I just wanted to force an LRM20 into action. Kinda like the poms forcing a 17 pounder into a Sherman- big punch, but it causes so many problems overall

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 25, 2018

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
To be fair, the only reason why it didn't do as well as it could is because he made it a long range mech with little ammo and little armor for when it runs out of ammo, a proper punchbot Shadowhawk is pretty scary at this point in time when most enemies are going to be either lights or mediums.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the little things I always liked in the "intercepted radio transmissions" is the perfectly timed static for Grim Sybil yelling at people to wake up.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The game really hypes Sybil as the threat in that last fight, but that damned S'hawk was the real problem for me. The pilot was very punch happy and tried their best to run down and plant their foot into Dekker as he jumped around in the Spider. When you're a little battered and running high on heat, that S'hawk takes some time to put down.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So, getting back into the game, and damned if I'm rusty. Can't even get out of the Tutorial fights now. :sigh:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

EDIT- I'll accept that. I just wanted to force an LRM20 into action. Kinda like the poms forcing a 17 pounder into a Sherman- big punch, but it causes so many problems overall

Yeah, the AC-5 was a bit too much lost tonnage for little gain with a LRM-20 as a secondary sadly, would have been a better idea to just use it with only missiles in that case.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Paingod556 do you have other mods listed outside the three in your OP? Your AC/5s and AC/2s sound very different than in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

If you're still taking 'Mech suggestions, here are a few of my faves:

Blackjack: 2 x Llas, 2 x Mlas, 4 x JJ. This can get you a decent mix of armor and heatsinks, without having to worry about the tonnage (and explosiveness) of autocannons.

Shadow Hawk-2H: 1 x Mlas, 2 x SRM6, 1 x SRM4, 1 x Slas, 3 x JJ. You can nearly max armor and have one the best early game units. You'll do a ton of stability damage and will sandpaper off armor in a few turns.

Centurion: 1x AC20, 2 x Mlas, 4 x JJ. A budget Yen-Lo-Wang. The best way to get an early AC20 on the field if you don't get a hunchie.