Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The lyrics of the parts used in the trailer actually sounds like it relates to the movie. Like the "a minor fall, a major lift" being over a scene where there's a hologram image of Superman with Bruce behind him.

Yeah, a lot of people somehow fails to see a song literally titled "hallelujah" is connected to Christianity but Snyder himself is a Christian who puts religious imagery in his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Y’know the really sad thing? Cohen himself said he thought Hallelujah was overused. That was in relation to hearing it was in Watchmen.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Sense8 version is the best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arist posted:

I just don't buy that Warner Brothers would hire Whedon to finish a movie that already had an impending release date coming within the year and then let him just reshoot half the movie for no reason when there was already usable footage of the same scenes. Like, why would they budget that? It's pretty obvious they gave him extensive notes on what footage needed to be reshot.

Have you ever heard of the film called Solo: A Star Wars story?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, a lot of people somehow fails to see a song literally titled "hallelujah" is connected to Christianity but Snyder himself is a Christian who puts religious imagery in his movies.

This is probably the worst thing about his films. I really hate "my main character is jesus", because its not only over used its lazy. Your character is literally one of the most well known people/character/mythological being probably on earth? Wow that took you 5 minutes to come up with didn't you?

Plus people only do the big stuff, the tortured and death, then coming back to life. No one ever has their Jesus Allegory throwing the money changers out of the temple, telling people to be kind to the least in society and turning water into wine.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Man of Steel, many #brands logo are destroyed in fight scenes whether they're real like IHOP or fictional like Lexcorp. In BvS, the two people who wants Superman dead are infamous billionaires.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
:psyduck:

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'll never understand the people who are so wedded to Snyder and his cut of Justice League that they'll pointlessly attack anyone who says anything negative (or even less than extremely positive)

I happen to really like The Last Jedi, and will happily discuss why I think it's good and have counters to all of the usual complaints about it, but at the end of the day I'm not offended or angry if someone doesn't like it. You can disagree with someone without thinking they're a total dumbshit who just doesn't get films, and this whole thing and the way WB are enabling it ("It's for the fans, not critics!) has always been bad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'll never understand the people who are so wedded to Snyder and his cut of Justice League that they'll pointlessly attack anyone who says anything negative (or even less than extremely positive)

That's not what happens. People do react harshly when folks imply the director is some sort of fascist for the unforgivable crime of making punchy man films they didn't like, or when slimy pieces of poo poo imply he's using his daughter for PR reasons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The MSJ posted:

Hallelujah is an incredibly Jewish song, Cohen himself having been Jewish. There's mythology shared between both religions, of course, but I actually found it a bit odd to have the song playing over a work with such heavy Christ imagery. Snyder having a personal connection to the song explains it, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CelticPredator posted:

Have you ever heard of the film called Solo: A Star Wars story?

...You know this proves my point, right? Lucasfilm was unhappy with the direction Lord and Miller were taking the film so they got rid of them and used Howard to make changes they wanted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

That's not what happens. People do react harshly when folks imply the director is some sort of fascist for the unforgivable crime of making punchy man films they didn't like, or when slimy pieces of poo poo imply he's using his daughter for PR reasons.

No, they will respond that way for other things as well. The "they're films for GROWN UPS" attitude is fairly present among the Snyder fanbase (and Snyder himself it looks like.) Any fanbase over a certain size is going to contain a fair bit of assholes because turns out most people are assholes and liking a Superman movie doesn't make you not an rear end in a top hat.

This does not mean everyone who likes Snyder films acts that way, any more than anyone who dislikes Snyder films is attacking his daughter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This thread sucks now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

McCloud posted:

....slimy pieces of poo poo...

Thanks, I'll shut up now

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's this post I read on Tumblr a while ago, unfortunately I can't find it at the moment and I wish I could because it made this point really well, but basically it was a big post that goes into detail about how, like, when Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons or other such organizations send their followers from their congregations to the outside world to recruit non-believers, the goal isn't to actually recruit non-believers to their religion. The door-to-door recruitment success rate is something like 0%, and they know it. They know they're annoying. They know they're not going to change minds. They know that outsiders are going to respond to their beliefs with skepticism and ridicule at best.

So what's the point then? Well, the point is to take your very sheltered and innocent followers, train them to be as literally irritating to non-believers as possible, and then send them out from their safe and familiar congregation of fellow peers and believers out into the scary world of rude sinful atheists, who will then roll their eyes and mock you for simply trying to save them with your well-intentioned beliefs. And then you return to your home, your flock, your tribe of fellows, where you're seen as a stalwart martyr who suffered through all those mean non-believers and all those mean things they said to you. The outside world is full of bad people who think bad things, just like you were taught. Your church, though, hey it might not be perfect, hey you might not agree with some of the more extreme stuff it teaches, but it's still your safe place that's filled with reassuring voices who will agree with you and comfort you after your trials and reinforce the things you already believe. So how likely, then, is it that you will ever break free from this organization?

I dunno. That's just some random completely off-topic thing that I just thought of right now that obviously doesn't have anything to do with anything that I'm just posting at random, obviously

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

This thread sucks now.

I think in some ways that's inevitable when a thread is about a specific kind of cultural product and then the well for that product runs dry. When there haven't been new comic book movies for months, the conversation by necessity has to turn inwards or turn to industry gossip and rumor-mongering and I don't think that's ever a recipe for good posting.

This is exacerbated by this thread somehow becoming the battleground for a fight about Zack Snyder which I don't know, I guess originated somewhere else?

In any case, yeah, this thread is bad. It's a bunch of people saying cruel poo poo about a movie that isn't out yet, a movie that's a revision of a movie that people were cruel to each other about the first time around. There's no sense of perspective, see the 100% ludicrous post about comparing liking a blockbuster movie director to being indoctrinated into a cult. This thread needs a break. I'm closing it until the 28th, when New Mutants comes out, although please do not go to the theater and see New Mutants in the middle of a pandemic. Everybody take a breather, think calmly in the dark about Leonard Cohen and let's be on better behavior when we're back.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Welcome back everyone, I hope you've spent the last couple days secluded in private meditation and prayer. Now we can talk about New Mutants in a cute and polite way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They spelled Bob McLeod’s name wrong in the credits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Forbes review was also... less than flattering.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was never actually going to see New Mutants because I don't care for horror, but it's pretty hilarious that it's how the Fox X-Men legacy ends

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Arist posted:

I was never actually going to see New Mutants because I don't care for horror, but it's pretty hilarious that it's how the Fox X-Men legacy ends

With any luck the fox news legacy will end the same way. In 2020. Amid a pandemic. With a pathetic last gasp.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seeing it tonight at the drive in. I’m prepared for the disappointment.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How Wonderful! posted:

Welcome back everyone, I hope you've spent the last couple days secluded in private meditation and prayer. Now we can talk about New Mutants in a cute and polite way.

Oh, I just made a new thread. : /

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938397

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

No worries, I opened this as a place-holder since people were asking. I'll close this one again and sticky yours for a few days to maybe get some fresh eyes.