Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That cat is definitely a Skrull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I saw Aquaman. It's a movie that tries to be everything at once, and somehow it succeeds?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

From what I recall, their dialogue in JL implied they'd known each other for a while already, while in Aquaman it feels like it's practically their first meeting.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Detective Chimp

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The movie was good, although it honestly felt like a wrap up for the entirety of the franchise more than it did for Infinity War. With the leaks about time travel I expected them to make the snap have never happened and I think it was a pretty bold decision not to take things in that direction.

There were a few plot beats that felt rushed or came out of nowhere (since when is Nebula's brain part of a network and... why?) but not enough to drag the movie down - it's real strength is in it's character moments; stuff like Steve and Tony slowly working to rebuild their trust, or the little moment where Nebula and Rhodey bond over having cybernetic parts. They also managed to do a pretty good attempt at keeping the tone of Ragnarok with Thor's parts, although I think the jokes don't land as well.

With the exceptions of Thor (who they basically outright said is going to join the Guardians for the next movie) and whatever happens in Black Widow, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any of the OG Avengers again after this (regardless of whether or not they survived). It really feels like a swansong for them - they really put a wrap on a lot of character arcs, at the same time they're giving the fans everything we've been wanting to see. I can't believe we basically got Professor Hulk, of all things!

Also, Scott and Rhodey made a great comic relief duo. Shoutout to that full minute they were just listing different time travel movies.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Mr_Moose posted:

Well, here's an interview from the writers about plot points.

quote:

In the first draft, we didn’t go back to the [original] “Avengers” movie. We went back to Asgard. But there’s a moment in the M.C.U., if you’re paying very close attention, where the Aether is there and the Tesseract is in the vault. In that iteration, we were interested in Tony going to Asgard. He had a stealth suit, so he was invisible, and he fought Heimdall, who could see him.

this made me realise that we're never going to get to see the uru armour now

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

So we have-
-Vulture
-Abomination (who was almost in Civil War)
-Gen Ross
-Zemo
-Ghost (if you count her)
-Justin Hammer
-The Mandarin

I’m not really counting the alien ones who survived like Yon-Rogg

It would be a good way to bring back Simon Stern/The Leader, since that setup is never going to be payed off otherwise.

Macaluso posted:

edit: How are they going to get [spoiler]Gamora back? I think it'd be kind of wack if she's just not in Guardians 3

2014 Gamora never went back to her original time, presumably she's just around now

Fangz posted:

Maybe he just asked alt-Hank Pym to build him a time machine to go back to his original universe.

This, but alt-Reed Richards.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Spider-Punk is a version of Miles' uncle Aaron, so there's definitely a story to be had there.

e: nope. don't know where I heard that. I'm mixing this up with some other Spider probably

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 2, 2019

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Could the second from the left in the middle row be Aracnido Jr?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

There are lots of movies that introduce a lot of characters and are good, trying to do that isn't the problem with DC's films.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Doctor Strange opening up the portals in Endgame to bring everyone back has always seemed like a visual callback to the Convergence in Thor 2 to me, which was one of the better parts of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, a lot of people somehow fails to see a song literally titled "hallelujah" is connected to Christianity but Snyder himself is a Christian who puts religious imagery in his movies.

Hallelujah is an incredibly Jewish song, Cohen himself having been Jewish. There's mythology shared between both religions, of course, but I actually found it a bit odd to have the song playing over a work with such heavy Christ imagery. Snyder having a personal connection to the song explains it, though.