Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Definitely do a tour to walk out to the lava. I was there five years ago, so I'm sure the path of the lava has changed (actually since it took out another subdivision last year it's probably easier to get to now) but it's totally worth doing. Seeing real live lava flows and standing on earth that is literally ten minutes old is not to be missed. Find a really, really long stick in the forest beforehand and bring a bag of marshmallows if you want the coolest roasted marshmallows you'll ever have in your life. But don't hold them too close to the lava, the exploding silicone turns into glass shards and that's not a great thing to eat.

Spend a day at Kealakekua Bay. It's a long downhill to get there, and a great spot to snorkel, have a picnic, and just hang out for a while. There will be boats and kayaks that will come over to do their snorkelling tours, but we saw like one other person in six hours on land, so we basically had it all to ourselves. Plus, it's the spot where Captain Cook was eventually killed by the Hawaiians after being a gigantic dick, so it's got some history as well. Apparently there's a plaque, but my husband (who's Australian, so Cook has a fair bit of meaning to him) wasn't able to find it.

Go up Mauna Kea at night for an absolutely incredible view of the night sky. Totally worth it. We did it with a tour, and depending on your personal circumstances, that could be a decent idea as you really do lose oxygen up there, and I recommend acclimatizing halfway as well. I'm a freak of nature whose parents both run marathons so when the guy passed around the oxygenation monitor at the top of the mountain I was still at 96% oxygen, but almost everyone was in the mid-high 80s, and my husband said that if he did anything more than a decent-paced walk he was feeling extremely dizzy.

Also, when you're in Volcanoes National Park, drive down to look at the Petroglyphs. They're pretty cool, and it doesn't take long.

Neither me nor my husband like beer, so can't help you with the breweries, sorry!

edit: Also there was this one really nice beach I liked, up north from Kona, that had some pretty great coral right off the beach. Hapuna Beach, I think it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well if you want to see active volcanoes and an observatory you're going to want to do The Big Island. If you're just there for a week stick to the one island for sure. No use in island hopping on that little time, especially since Hawaii has everything you want.