Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Palpek posted:

I'd also suggest that people in the Steam Group create a Discord channel so that you can chat live when you're not playing together and when not everybody has the same games and to coordinate for other platforms than Steam.

I made an Oversharing Goons Discord channel. I'll gladly hand it over to Darkoni or whomever is taking the admin reins if requested, but for now, pile on in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Palpek posted:

I'd also suggest that people in the Steam Group create a Discord channel so that you can chat live when you're not playing together and when not everybody has the same games and to coordinate for other platforms than Steam.

Good idea! I'll hop to that right away!

E: Or not!

Darkoni fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 5, 2018

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Turtlicious posted:

im better now, I'm calling my therapist's office to set up an appointment.

I'm sorry, I just wanted to do something nice before I go. I didn't mean to turn this into a whole thing, I've just been so lonely and trying so hard to connect with people but it's so hard being around me when I'm in a mood, and I didn't realize that until like 2 months ago. I went back to a bunch of different gaming groups and some new ones trying to find a place to fit in and I couldn't, so I thought if I did something big and showy. I would feel better, and I always had this idea but I've never had the funds to do it, because it's so hard to keep a job when you're constantly paranoid everyone around you is trying to get you fired. Everyone on this site is really nice, Winter is hard for me but especially December.

I just want a Mom, a Dad, and to not feel lonely anymore. I didn't mean to cause so much trouble.

Hey Turtle, I just wanted to say that I hope you get better. I know what it's like to struggle with things like that, especially the anxiety and paranoia. I have generalized anxiety disorder myself, and it's been a long battle my entire life coming to grips with it.

You didn't cause any trouble, and there are people that care about you. If you ever need someone to vent to, I'm around. I don't have plat these days, but maybe I'll catch you on the sharing goons group or something? Chin up!

Also I'd like to say I'm happy to see so many goons post supportive and caring things! Good job, goons!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Chiming in because KoL made me aware. You good peeps Turtle & lotus when we played minecraft. Get the help you need. I'll be around on the discord if you want to chat more.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought I didn't have to take my medicine because I was doing better. I'm now taking it again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Glad to know OP has been spoken to. That ds does belong in a museum tho

I have joined the discord, apologies in advance to anyone who hears me prattling about...I dunno, the weather

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

Violet_Sky posted:

Hey dude,

I hope you feel better soon. You have a loving partner at the very least. Do your future inlaws ever help you out? They could be your mom and dad.

As someone who suffers from depression, I'm proud of you for keeping your head up thus far. It's okay to want give up sometimes. Just don't hurt yourself.

:glomp:
My family considers him family, but it's not a complete substitute. But they do love him, know of his mental illness, took him in when he was homeless years ago, and in general do everything in their power to help. My parents aren't the greatest with emotional distress as they're both fairly emotionally repressed people but they try their best and help, usually through support like supplementing our income while he's on temporary disability.

We also have some close friends who help as well. We have a support group but it's hard for him to remember that sometimes through the bpd.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i updated the op with the poo poo you guys are saying.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

i updated the op with the poo poo you guys are saying.

Hey, I just wanted to reach out to you (and anyone else really) and say that if you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here for you. My discord ID is @Bougie Black Girl#9346

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I thought I didn't have to take my medicine because I was doing better. I'm now taking it again.

I've made this mistake before. It sucks! Glad to hear you're taking it again, and that this has turned into a really cool thing.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Remember to go to your doctor if you feel really bad on your meds.

Prozac gave me bad panic attacks so my GP weaned me off it.

Im glad you're alive and talking with us. Goons have helped me out in the past.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koalas Massacre posted:

Hey, I just wanted to reach out to you (and anyone else really) and say that if you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here for you. My discord ID is @Bougie Black Girl#9346

im willing to talk to you about stuff since you run the sexual assault thing in TGRS. I messaged you on discord.

Violet_Sky posted:

Remember to go to your doctor if you feel really bad on your meds.

Prozac gave me bad panic attacks so my GP weaned me off it.

Im glad you're alive and talking with us. Goons have helped me out in the past.

my therapist and doctor and counselor and I have been working together with using Marijuana to treat my disorder which has been working very well, except for when I decide to stop smoking.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:siren: IMPORTANT :siren:

At the request of goons who created the Oversharing Goons Steam group and the Support Discord - I'm stickying this thread so that it gets more attention especially because it's winter and Christmas and that's a trying time to many people struggling with mental health issues. It's great that this thread turned into something positive.

At the same time - be helpful and constructive here. Not interested in the group and find it dumb? Cool, close the thread. No threadshitting here.

The thread's purpose is mainly to bring goons together and form supportive and empathic gaming communities.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

im better now, I'm calling my therapist's office to set up an appointment.

I'm sorry, I just wanted to do something nice before I go. I didn't mean to turn this into a whole thing, I've just been so lonely and trying so hard to connect with people but it's so hard being around me when I'm in a mood, and I didn't realize that until like 2 months ago. I went back to a bunch of different gaming groups and some new ones trying to find a place to fit in and I couldn't, so I thought if I did something big and showy. I would feel better, and I always had this idea but I've never had the funds to do it, because it's so hard to keep a job when you're constantly paranoid everyone around you is trying to get you fired. Everyone on this site is really nice, Winter is hard for me but especially December.

I just want a Mom, a Dad, and to not feel lonely anymore. I didn't mean to cause so much trouble.

Hey

It's really hard to admit to these things, but even harder to seek help for them. It is good that you're going to get an appointment set up. You aren't a bad person. It doesn't matter whether you've done questionable or dumb things in the past, you are not a bad person. To my knowledge, you don't hurt people, you aren't a predator in any way, shape, or form, and if the worst you can say about yourself in your interactions is that you get angry and frustrated with games then you're automatically better than a pretty sizable group of competitive game players.

I get what you mean regarding family and loneliness, I can't say I know specifically what you are feeling but I've gone through things that made me have similar feelings of loneliness and lack of family.

There's a whole lot more I could say but what it all boils down to is that I'm proud of you. Me saying that isn't worth a lot, if anything, but what l want you to know that there is at minimum 1 person out there who is proud of you, and if just 1 person is, then there are probably 2, 3, 4, more, more, and more, and you have worth, you have value, you deserve the chance to feel happiness. It bears repeating, but I am proud of you, and I believe that you will continue on and that you will do the right things that will best benefit yourself and those who care about you.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

This thread is good

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

my therapist and doctor and counselor and I have been working together with using Marijuana to treat my disorder which has been working very well, except for when I decide to stop smoking.

Unironically smoke weed everyday, my dude. Literal doctors orders?

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

McGiggins posted:

Unironically smoke weed everyday, my dude. Literal doctors orders?

Basically he self medicated to begin with, which put him in a better mental state and stopped his snoring and sleep talking and walking which let me sleep. Because I love sleep I kept him well stocked with pot. Basically since dispensaries here opened on January to recreational use he is usually high. But then he started seeing doctors for another issue which caused syncopatic seizures but we noticed it only happened in conjunction with anxiety or anger which the pot treated. He talked to his doctor about it and the doctors all told him if it works and he doesn't mind being high all the time keep doing it. So now he's medical.

This thread came about because it's hard getting into the mindset of it being legitimate medicine and not just "this is recreational, I don't have to be high all the time". So he felt he could just not vape his weed for the evening and he planned a trip to Holland.

So yes, unironically smoke weed every day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Good luck Turtleman, I enjoy your posting and I hope everything gets better for everybody.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This is a good thread, and a good community. I joined the steam group, I'll probably jump on the discord later, because my brains are also broke as hell. I'm glad you're doing better, turtle man.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I had the courage to join the discord tbh.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

GlassLotus posted:

This thread came about because it's hard getting into the mindset of it being legitimate medicine and not just "this is recreational, I don't have to be high all the time".

I absolutely feel the same way. I get real depressed and anxious and it's hard to keep focused. Smoking weed helps curb the edges off everything and makes it bearable. It's hard to not feel like poo poo tho when I go out to my car three times a day to smoke.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No worries! You will be welcome if and when you are ready to join us. :)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey Turtlicious, it looks to me like you posting this thread has actually been a really good thing and led to a cool gathering place for goons! you posting here and being here is good and i hope you're doing okay

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This little group really is taking off and i'm so humbled by all the support ive received, and knowing that sharing my pain has helped bring all these people out with their own stories, getting their own healing is just awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Turtlicious posted:

This little group really is taking off and i'm so humbled by all the support ive received, and knowing that sharing my pain has helped bring all these people out with their own stories, getting their own healing is just awesome.

Fuckin :glomp:, man

:unsmith:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

We're putting the game back in gaming support group. Join us is the games channel to help us plan our first game night.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GlassLotus posted:

This thread came about because it's hard getting into the mindset of it being legitimate medicine and not just "this is recreational, I don't have to be high all the time". So he felt he could just not vape his weed for the evening and he planned a trip to Holland.

Ouch, yeah. I'm really hoping that now that the US is chilling out we can get some proper research done and figure out which components are helpful at what doses, but until we catch up to where we should be if not for the 'War on Drugs' bullshit, if vaping helps you, by all means please do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

We've reached fifty members. I would like to thank everyone who's joined so far - Everyone has been really cool and supportive, and the positivity expressed towards Turtilicious and other members of the community has been...Well, humbling is a really good word here.

We're organising our first game night, and Sunday, Dec 9 at 6:00PM PST (Monday, Dec 10 2:00 AM UTC) has been floated as a time to get together. Whether you're interested in playing games (Worms and some digital board games have been the first games to come up!) or just connect and chill with your fellow goon, everyone is welcome.

Thank you all for making this possible. :unsmith:

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

Keiya posted:

Ouch, yeah. I'm really hoping that now that the US is chilling out we can get some proper research done and figure out which components are helpful at what doses, but until we catch up to where we should be if not for the 'War on Drugs' bullshit, if vaping helps you, by all means please do.

Seriously, cause it's also really expensive to keep buying weed like this without it being supplemented monetarily like all other medications.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Speaking of vaping and weed, i know nothing about them, but these helpful one month timeskip video might convince you to not use cigarettes for stress coping.

Cigarrate

Weed

Vaping

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Neat vids, Nyaa.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Since a lot of people can feel this way about group help (myself included! It's a process!), I'm happy to throw my hat into the ring as a Sad Brains hugbag. I have MDD myself and work with both kids and adults with every kind of mental health problem imaginable, I'm always happy to talk! (I'll also happily talk about my own experiences with you but I don't want to bum everyone out in public :v:)

I plan on joining the Discord when I get back from defending my thesis (regarding access to mental healthcare in the juvenile justice system!), but I am always more than happy to talk one-on-one to folks! I have private messages, and my steam name is the same as my username (add "kevin" onto my username @ gmail.com if neither works!). I love video games and am acutely aware of the depressive effect gaming as a hobby can have, but I also think they can be a useful therapeutic tool and a good way to recontextualize problems!

I can't promise I won't tell you to go see a therapist (I definitely will) but I'll also help you find a good one and articulate how to ask for help! Plus, we can play some Overwatch or something in the process! And talk about other nerd poo poo!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of vaping and weed, i know nothing about them, but these helpful one month timeskip video might convince you to not use cigarettes for stress coping.
Weed

smoke weed every day

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vape weed.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I used to do that, it was p cool.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Turtlicious posted:

I vape weed.

Eating it isn't too bad.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I have a real strong temptation to lick my Nintendo Switch cartridges, please help.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Putty posted:

I have a real strong temptation to lick my Nintendo Switch cartridges, please help.

im with you be strong.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I only get those thoughts when other people talk about it. :argh:

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bluegoon posted: