Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah the cabin air filter is the first thing I would check. It's behind the glovebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Have you cleaned the hvac tract? Could have poo poo plugging it up causing lack of flow and imbalanced blower?

No and yes, respectively.

Fender Anarchist posted:

Yeah the cabin air filter is the first thing I would check. It's behind the glovebox.

things_to_do_when_its_above_20F_outside.xls

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

coward

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
drat straight

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
loving lol

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Looks like you’ll get some good flow through there.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sun is shining, so I put it up on ramps and doused the upstream lambda with B'laster. No room for a sensor socket, so I'll probably need one of these.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 11, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

loving lol

Is that a complete lack of cabin filter I’m seeing there?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The cabin filter is optional on a lot of cars of that vintage. My '99 Grand Cherokee just had a big hole where the filter was supposed to be. I bought an OEM unit and installed it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Same on my 99 Altima - manual showed it was optional on the base, included on upper trims, but my mid-level GXE didn't even have the cutout for it.

It was the same airbox either way, it just had an outline of where to cut out an opening to slide a filter in, and I assume Nissan had a part number for a cover for the cavity.

You're not necessarily hurting anything by leaving a filter out, so long as you keep the cowl free of debris. Better to have one to keep crap out of the blower, but GM blowers of that era are usually pretty easy to get at (usually).

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There is now an maroon Aztek in front of me 2/5 mornings when I turn left to bring my daughter to school.
It has temp tags and looks clean but maybe some bondo going on.
I'll get a picture this week if it keeps happening.
From behind, I'm starting to like being able to see through the rear window/door and stuff.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's the middle of winter. Nothing's happening.

I can't curate this thread rn bc I'm going offline for a while, fighting the good fight against some rough sadbrains stuff.

See you in May, jerks.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hello, thread! I have, at least temporarily, staved off the brainworms.

I didn't spend my entire sabbatical wallowing in self-doubt and suicidal ideations; I did some work on my bike, as well as my son's Miata:

(As always, apologies for the garbage-tier photography.)

Spring has also sprung in Ohio, so I've been busy installing a new front storm door, cleaning up the yard, and removing the snowblade from the tractor and installing the freshly greased-and-sharpened mower deck. I haven't done much to the Aztek, but there are a couple small things I'll report on soon-ish. Stay tuned.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Haha, welcome back, thread. Miatas are the best because you can do everything to them and nothing fucks them up. And that biek is niec.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Old doors and some saw horses make the best work benches, used to be my go-to until I got yelled at for keeping old doors around :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I just bought a 2' x 4' folding table from Costco. It's plastic, but I screwed down a 1/4 sheet of masonite to it. Main reason I got the one I did was that the legs are extendable, so I can get it up to something approaching standing working height. Working well so far. For those that look at my thread, it's the table I take most of the pictures on, and that my galvanizing rig sits on.
I also bought a Stanley plastic sawhorse many years ago that has a fold out 2' x 2' table built in. Still use that one a lot, especially working on the cars in the driveway. It also has peg holes an clamps that go in the holes stored in it, which actually work well.

Mine has several saw cuts, and a few burns/melted bits in it, but it has held up well. Not sure they make it any more.

This is the folding table I got: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-80160-Commercial-Adjustable-Folding/dp/B003DYZQKY/
But I didn't pay $54. $40 I think.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is what I use now, a Rubbermaid rolling cart, it's great for all sorts of poo poo. I put plywood over the top when I'm working on cars and all the little pockets by the handle are great for nuts and bolts and little fasteners and poo poo so they don't get lost. Even has a cup holder in it :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Those carts are generally in stock at restaurant supply stores, for anyone that needs one in a hurry. They slap together quick and take a hell of a beating.

Amazon also stocks them, but I'm not sure what you'd search for - I only know this because the Prime Now warehouses use them for batching, and they try not to use anything that they can't get via Amazon. The wheels will take about 6 months of being rolled across badly paved asphalt parking lots, several times a day, before they give up (personal experience on this one).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

STR posted:

Those carts are generally in stock at restaurant supply stores, for anyone that needs one in a hurry. They slap together quick and take a hell of a beating.

Amazon also stocks them, but I'm not sure what you'd search for

Cool idea. I'd get one if I had the storage space.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rubbermaid+shop+cart&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Looks like "rubbermaid shop cart" pulls up a lot of options.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got mine for free from work, the maintenance dept got new ones and gave me this one like four years ago. I really don't have the storage for it either so I just leave it outside next to my shed under a tree lol. It holds up fine outside, and the lizards like hanging out on it to heat up in the sun. It's great because all my tools are in the shed, I just load it up with everything I need and roll it out to the carport.

I also use it a lot for gardening poo poo, doing work around the house, painting etc. I would pay full price for another one if this one ever breaks that's how handy it is.

[e] found it, $225 for a new one https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-T...GHDDBMJDFFXS7GR

I can attest to the 500lb capacity, I've loaded it up with a bunch of heavy suspension/brake parts before.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 25, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It stopped raining for a minute, so I did something.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Last week, the big brown truck dropped off $89 worth of Chinese steel:

Here it is in situ:

You may have noticed the top-right bolt is installed inside-out; there's a weld very close to the bolt hole, and there wasn't room for the flanged nut. Strangely, this does not trigger my OCD.

The fit is excellent, installation was a snap using the clear, concise instructions, the cut edges/welds/paint look very good, and the supplied fasteners are nice. Yes, other hitches (Reese, Draw-Tite, etc.) are one welded assembly rather than three separate pieces, but I'm not worried. I have a small utility trailer that I only use when interior space is a concern, and the most it will see is a garden tractor, motorcycle, or a couple sheets of drywall and some 2x4's. I'll check all the fasteners every time I go to hook up. If I were Mister Big Welder/Fabricator Man, I would've cleaned and chamfered the edges of the flanges, bolted it all together, and welded it solid. But I'm not, so I didn't. It's fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'd throw Loc-Tite on the bolts and call it goo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I'd throw Loc-Tite on the bolts and call it goo.

It's gel.

Trailer hitch looks good, what's the capacity on the Aztek? If the bolts were Chinese garbage grade ones, I'd replace them with either real metric 10.9s, or SAE grade 8s.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 1, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tow rating is a surprisingly-high 2500# (it'll never see that). Bolts are grade 9.8 M12s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dagen H posted:

Tow rating is a surprisingly-high 2500# (it'll never see that the transaxle will never survive that).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

It's gel.

Lol, didn’t even see that typo. Gonna leave it now.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Good thread. Soldier on little Aztek.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

~80 mile round trip to Lewis Center without issue,* albeit with a very light load.

* you were hoping I'd say "without a hitch", weren't you

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dude walking downtown just complimented me on my car :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Is the plastic faded or stock colour? If faded - god how I'd love to see it with some ceramic trim coating that makes it black again.

Your car is cool. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pretty sure it's faded, but it was a dark grey to begin with.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is the plastic faded or stock colour? If faded - god how I'd love to see it with some ceramic trim coating that makes it black again.

Yeah the bumpers are dark charcoal, but the cladding has faded to a medium grey with bonus marbling. I need to hit up the detailing thread to see what's the consensus best trim restorer/protectant.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Your car is cool. :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dagen H posted:

Yeah the bumpers are dark charcoal, but the cladding has faded to a medium grey with bonus marbling. I need to hit up the detailing thread to see what's the consensus best trim restorer/protectant.

Chemical guys "VRP" stuff isn't bad, but like just about all of them, it'll fade without consistent reapplication.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I've had really good luck with boiled linseed oil cut with a solvent, you'll probably need to reapply every few years but that's not much different than the other stuff I've seen. Wipe on, let sit for a second, wipe off excess, dispose of rags very carefully.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 28, 2019

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Spray paint doesn't last more than a couple of years on that part of the car either :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've used black plastic dye and that seems to work the best. I forget what it's called but i bet you could find it on amazon, they carry it at most auto parts stores too. It's a bottle with a sponge applicator on the end of it like shoe polish or something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I've had pretty good luck with meguiars back to black. It lasts a long time.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

303 protectant is also pretty good. Brings some of the colour back and helps against UV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ceramic coatings also produce good results. At least on smaller parts. Used some leftover CQuartz UK on the wing mirrors on my dads car. Went back to the black that it came out of the factory with. Lasted at least 6 months. Have forgotten to check after that.

303 is great, but doesn't last nearly as long. Love the stuff though. Used it to restore the color on rubber floor mats. Didn't get all slippery neither. I also use it to protect new rubber parts before I install them. No evidence that it does anything, but putting clean parts on a car is nice anyway. :)