Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

I've had pretty good luck with meguiars back to black. It lasts a long time.

Seconded. Stuff worked well on the formerly-black rubber and plastic bits on my Cherokee.
They even sell it in spray cans now, I believe.

Edit: It's "Mother's" brand, but yes: https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06110-Plastic-Restorer-Aerosol/dp/B018663LFU/ref=asc_df_B018663LFU/
Interesting that it says it works on trims of all colors. I'mma 'bout to try it on the window cranks of my shitbox Corolla.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Darchangel posted:

Seconded. Stuff worked well on the formerly-black rubber and plastic bits on my Cherokee.
They even sell it in spray cans now, I believe.

Edit: It's "Mother's" brand, but yes: https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06110-Plastic-Restorer-Aerosol/dp/B018663LFU/ref=asc_df_B018663LFU/
Interesting that it says it works on trims of all colors. I'mma 'bout to try it on the window cranks of my shitbox Corolla.

nthing back to black with 303 over top. Probably do a few back to back apps before you seal with 303.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ever since I bought the Aztek, it's had a low-speed, high-frequency brake squeal. I traced it to the left rear, which began locking up when I would stop at the end of my gravel driveway. Pulled the wheel and drum only to find like-new brakes and a token amount of brake dust. Put it back together, and the symptoms have disappeared. :iiam:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh, and thanks for all the trim restoration/protection tips.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dagen H posted:

Ever since I bought the Aztek, it's had a low-speed, high-frequency brake squeal. I traced it to the left rear, which began locking up when I would stop at the end of my gravel driveway. Pulled the wheel and drum only to find like-new brakes and a token amount of brake dust. Put it back together, and the symptoms have disappeared. :iiam:

"Hmm. It's a very nice act," said the agent, "but what do you call it?"
"General Motors!"

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Jonny Nox posted:

"Hmm. It's a very nice act," said the agent, "but what do you call it?"
"General Motors!"

:golfclap:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Very weird speed-related noise eminating from the right front, not affected by braking. Stay tuned. :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Welp

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Filed to the gently caress Rust dept.:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy poo poo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Not sure how long it was like that, but it got loud enough to drown out License to Ill at full blast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Impressive way to lower your ride.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

If you ever get an answer I would like to know.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If you ever get an answer I would like to know.

"Move South, stupid."

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
After fighting with the spare-tire winch for an inordinately long time*, I freed the spare from its hidey-hole under the rear cargo floor and found it completely flat (emergency preparedness FTW). I inflated it to the proper 60 PSI and mounted it on the right rear.

Moving to the right front, I liberated the wayward coil, and cut the pokey bit off the end of the remaining spring:

I then installed the undamaged formerly-rear tire. Here she temporarily sits, listing like the Costa Concordia:

You may have already guessed, but the spring is still rubbing the tire. :suicide:

*The spare-tire winch thingy has an internal latch mechanism which prevents the tire from becoming a road hazard should the cable break. This latch releases when the winch is cranked down slowly (i.e. with the factory wrench). Buzzing it down with a 1/2" cordless impact does not qualify as "slowly".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

BMWs love to do this here. I saw an E36 have a dynamic rear suspension drop after hitting a pothole a few years ago. The top dead coil came rocketing out.

I think the salt gets packed in against the bumpstop and it just rubs and rubs and rubs and it's already a little compromised because of the flattening.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

You may have already guessed, but the spring is still rubbing the tire. :suicide:

Grind the pointy bit down. It's not actively part of the suspension anymore, you can easily take it down far enough that it isn't digging into the tire.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Since the Aztek is down and it's monsoon season in Ohio, I dropped my biek off at my MIL's and borrowed her base-model '06 Cobalt. What a hateful little shitbox.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
New tire mounted Wednesday, big brown truck just dropped off new struts. Effortpost incoming after the job's finished.

Spoiler: it's not going well

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Needs more Jeremy Clarkson voice.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"It's all bollocks."

-- Nik Blackhurst

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Right. So, where were we?

Ah, yes.

First things first, I put the wheel/new tire on the right rear, and stowed the spare:

Now let's open the hood and check access to the top-hat nuts:

That windshield wiper linkage is in a really inconvenient place. What's on the other side?

Yeah, that whole wiper assembly is going to have to come out. I'll just pop the arms off real quick, and

gently caress.
This is a direct result of me being hamfisted, stubborn, and impatient, rather than stepping back, re-evaluating, and trying an approach other than brute force. I never learn.

gently caress this, it's Friday night, I'm going to the dragstrip.

Got up reasonably early Saturday morning, had coffee, hopped on the beik, and rode to a car show with Dad. Nice morning.

With a clear head, I got back on task. Dad('s tools) to the rescue:

Using the puller, the other arm came off without issue. I popped out the dozen or so plastic push-rivets attaching the plastic cowl cover (without breaking any, woot), removed the cover, and vacuumed up all the organic debris.
Peep all the pollen in the cabin air inlet:

Four M6 capscrews, a bit of twisting and turning, and out it comes:

After that, it's a cakewalk; wheels off, knuckle bolts out, top-hat nuts off, struts out.
Old vs. new. The new springs have 4 coils instead of 3:

New strut in place:

Repeat for the other side, finding more broken poo poo in the process:

Everything went back together smoothly, ride height is restored, drives nicely. I'll hit the U-Pull-It this week for another wiper arm, and then hopefully I'm done with mechanical emergencies and can focus on catching up on deferred maintenance.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh, and in case you're curious (as I was):

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Its nice to see someone giving a poo poo about an aztek. Ive always wanted to grab the cooler from a junk car. Its actually great for a lunch box. Ny last shop had 4 different ones that would come in. Two were kept nice. One was a rusty deathtrap. I havent seen a green like yours. It's always burgundy or yellow around here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's the best fishing car too, especially when you color-coordinate.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
12 acres of fun:

Target acquired:

Hmmmm...

Procured a replacement wiper arm and slapped that baby on right there in the parking lot (I replaced the plastic nut cap when I got home):

E: No tent, no rollout table. I checked.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 24, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That wiper arm is like paper loving thin. It was probably already compromised.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That wiper arm is like paper loving thin. It was probably already compromised.

I was prying up on it with a 36" (~1m) prybar while wailing on the shaft hard enough to deform the nut. It didn't break, I broke it, because I'm a hack.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I also grabbed the donor's underhood insulation mat. I dusted it off with a soft brush, spritzed it with some flat black, and installed it. Probably should've cleaned the filthy underside of the hood first, but :effort:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Dagen H posted:

I also grabbed the donor's underhood insulation mat. I dusted it off with a soft brush, spritzed it with some flat black, and installed it. Probably should've cleaned the filthy underside of the hood first, but :effort:

Excellent work.

I love doing small but significant detail things like this on high-mileage cars, not just because they are straightforward to do.

If you do enough of them, it takes the car from looking like a neglected shitpile into looking like a solid, well-cared-for vehicle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That donor in the wrecking yard looked really clean!

metaxus posted:

Excellent work.

I love doing small but significant detail things like this on high-mileage cars, not just because they are straightforward to do.

If you do enough of them, it takes the car from looking like a neglected shitpile into looking like a solid, well-cared-for vehicle.

I like making all the little stuff that people let go work on my acquired cars. Dome lights, glovebox lights, power sockets, that sort of stuff. If it's there, it needs to work. *Then* I start upgrading it. Before I sold it, my base model Jeep Cherokee got a center console, overhead console, factory fog lights, cruise control, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, tilt steering column, rear dome light, additional footwell lights, trailer plug wiring, and I had wired it up for the rear defroster, but not swapped out the glass yet. Jeep legos are fun.
The cop-car Crown Vic so far has gotten carpet, a nice rear seat, working inside door handles and locks on the rear doors, and automatic headlights. I've also got an overhead console and matching headliner to install. I want all my convenience options. If I were ambitious, I'd attempt to install the automatic electronic HVAC from an upper civilian model, but I'm not that much of a masochist.

I know that GMs of the Aztek's era were every bit as much legos. Mix and match options are fun!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

metaxus posted:

Excellent work.

That's my overall plan, it's just moving at a glacial pace for budgetary reasons.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Grind the pointy bit down. It's not actively part of the suspension anymore, you can easily take it down far enough that it isn't digging into the tire.

Missed this somehow (I swear I'm not ignoring you). I cut nearly 2" off the end (see my last post above yours), but the uncompressed spring must've rotated and gone right back against the tire. I was able to borrow a car, so it's all academic.

Anyhow...Miata? Miata.

Eww:

New:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Different kid, different car. :sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

A Subaru engine needing to be swapped? Well, I never...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No swap, just EJ25 HGs :allears:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
GMT400 parts interchange :thunk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dagen H posted:

Oh hey I have the same oil filter on my EJ25 right now. :v:

What year and model is that? I'm in an 03 Outback with either the EJ251 or EJ253 (I think it's the 251); the HGs aren't leaking externally. Yet. No milkshake. Yet. Subaru forum thinktanks seem to say the 01+ motors tend to leak externally instead of internally. :ohdear: I just know the rear crank seal shuffled off of this mortal plane a long time ago. They also seem to think that the Gates timing belt kit is Bad News<tm>, which makes me nervous, as it has a Gates timing belt sticker on the timing cover.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

meatpimp posted:

A Subaru engine needing to be swapped? Well, I never...

Nah brah engines are just a normal Subaru wear item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

STR posted:

Oh hey I have the same oil filter on my EJ25 right now. :v:

What year and model is that? I'm in an 03 Outback with either the EJ251 or EJ253 (I think it's the 251); the HGs aren't leaking externally. Yet. No milkshake. Yet. Subaru forum thinktanks seem to say the 01+ motors tend to leak externally instead of internally. :ohdear: I just know the rear crank seal shuffled off of this mortal plane a long time ago. They also seem to think that the Gates timing belt kit is Bad News<tm>, which makes me nervous, as it has a Gates timing belt sticker on the timing cover.

'02 Outback Sport (Impreza). Rear main is weeping a bit, but it's a winter beater with 200K+ on it, so IDGAF.
Highlights include bellhousing fasteners torqued to approximately 1043 lb/ft, input shaft/pilot/splines slathered in anti-seize, and new WP/TB with old seized tensioner.