Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dagen H posted:

'02 Outback Sport (Impreza). Rear main is weeping a bit, but it's a winter beater with 200K+ on it, so IDGAF.
Highlights include bellhousing fasteners torqued to approximately 1043 lb/ft, input shaft/pilot/splines slathered in anti-seize, and new WP/TB with old seized tensioner.

I planned to replace my current car with an Outback Sport (though a later model) whenever it dies. But my 03 Legacy Outback wagon is just a $2000 car that I'll be happy with if it lasts a year.

It's a $2000 Subaru with working AC, working fart warmers (heated seats? in MY Subaru?!), working everything except for the rear window defroster (only 2 lines on the grid work), and it had 142k with a <20k timing belt and matching, if not old, tires. It's... not in great shape, but it runs.

You should have seen the hell I went through replacing the RF half shaft. It laughed at the air hammer. It laughed at (and bent) the 20 ton press. It took acetylene and the press to get the fucker to finally pop out.

(possibly SLIGHTLY related, I need a new wheel bearing and hub on that corner now...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't like the look of this...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

I don't like the look of this...

More ports are better. Now you've got some water injection and can run more timing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
gently caress it, I'm sending it. Not my circus.

meatpimp posted:

More ports are better. Now you've got some water injection and can run more timing.

Better than the previous situation, which was exhaust-gasses-into-the-coolant injection.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*declares Subie fixed, whilst knocking agressively on every available piece of wood*

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's not your fist knocking. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

STR posted:

That's not your fist knocking. :v:

Oh, you :allears:

Look at this poo poo:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

Oh hey I have the same oil filter on my EJ25 right now. :v:

What year and model is that? I'm in an 03 Outback with either the EJ251 or EJ253 (I think it's the 251); the HGs aren't leaking externally. Yet. No milkshake. Yet. Subaru forum thinktanks seem to say the 01+ motors tend to leak externally instead of internally. :ohdear: I just know the rear crank seal shuffled off of this mortal plane a long time ago. They also seem to think that the Gates timing belt kit is Bad News<tm>, which makes me nervous, as it has a Gates timing belt sticker on the timing cover.

I put a Gates on mine and I just had to swap a new tensioner on after 12k fwiw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They left out the part where you must be chanting "the world is flat" the entire time or the ritual will fail.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No, it's "HEFTY! HEFTY! HEFTY!". Right there at the bottom.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
BTW, I know the above-mentioned "alphabetical sequence", because my brain thinks it's vital information.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

It makes sense when you see it's about properly squaring up the headgasket to the opposing surfaces and getting correct head stud stretch.

quote:

Subaru forum thinktanks

Are filled with a loving bunch of idiots. Gates kit it completely fine

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm glad I don't live up north because I'd seriously consider buying a Subaru even tho I'd probably regret it.

In Florida they are pretty much pointless so I don't have to worry :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are filled with a loving bunch of idiots. Gates kit it completely fine

A Chinese Gates tensioner just failed on me after 20k. We bled the thing down perfectly. I'd never trust their poo poo for anything more than belts again.

Gates "N" kits, with the Japanese bearings and OE parts, seem to be fine, just like their older kits.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

shy boy from chess club posted:

I put a Gates on mine and I just had to swap a new tensioner on after 12k fwiw

Yeah, I've seen horror stories about the Gates tensioners, though only the ones made in China. :ohdear: I'm kinda tempted to pull the timing cover and see if it has a Japanese or Chinese tensioner in there if there's an easy way to tell; the timing belt kit has less than 20k on it. The previous owners, up until the most recent one, definitely took good care of the car. The most recent one only had it for 6 months; going by Carfax, they dumped a lot of money into it, then dumped it immediately after it got a new OEM Subaru alternator at the dealer (.... and the fucker already has a bad diode :argh:). Being a SOHC EJ25 in an engine bay made for an EZ30 means I have a good bit of room between the front of the engine and the radiator support, and being SOHC I can't imagine the timing belt being a difficult job if I do need to tear it apart.

I'm not opposed to swapping the engine/trans at some point if the tensioner does happen to fail, mostly because these are supposed to be so easy to swap poo poo on (plus it's a $2k beater). Neither are in the best shape, though the trans just feels like it isn't getting enough pressure (sluggish shifts, sluggish going into drive, the occasional flare on an upshift). I have a new filter to replace the definitely-very-wrong-and-very-old filter on it. Someone's had the pan off at some point too, and used a gallon of RTV to seal it up, so I wouldn't be surprised if the screen inside is clogged with RTV chunks. The engine is a little tappy and pisses like mad out of the rear crank seal, but it sounds the same cold or hot, 5w30 or 10w40. Just cranks a bit slower when it's <45F with the heavier oil.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 28, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Being a SOHC EJ25 in an engine bay made for an EZ30 means I have a good bit of room between the front of the engine and the radiator support, and being SOHC I can't imagine the timing belt being a difficult job if I do need to tear it apart.

So, uh, gonna be the sperg guy.

:spergin::viggo:

The EZ30 is only a few inches longer than an EJ25. It was specifically designed to fit in engine bays designed for the 4-cylinder so they didn’t have to redesign the cars, unlike the earlier EG33 H6 in the SVX, which was literally the 4-cylinder with two more cylinders added. The EZ30/36 used Siamese cylinders and some other tricks to keep it remarkably short.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

The EZ30 is only a few inches longer than an EJ25. It was specifically designed to fit in engine bays designed for the 4-cylinder so they didn’t have to redesign the cars, unlike the earlier EG33 H6 in the SVX, which was literally the 4-cylinder with two more cylinders added. The EZ30/36 used Siamese cylinders and some other tricks to keep it remarkably short.

The only thing you really have to change when going from a 4-cylinder to a 6-cylinder is to shorten the upper rad hose a bit, iirc. Even the motor mounts are the same. A remarkable job of Subaru engineering effort to make a swap that literally nobody does much easier.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A remarkable job of Subaru engineering effort to make a swap that literally nobody does much easier.

I'm still waiting for the perfect BRAT or XT donor shell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

I'm still waiting for the perfect BRAT or XT donor shell.

I don't actually know if the EJ/EZ/EG/FB/FA motor mounts line up with the pushrod engines, but I would sure like to find out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

:golfclap:

Today I learned. Pretty smart engineering (and significant cost cutting without any real compromise?) on their part.

It's still a decently roomy engine bay, at least when it comes to the front of the engine, and maintenance stuff seems well thought out (except for spark plugs). Anything involving valve covers can gently caress right off though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 29, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

The main reason it is short is timing chain rather than timing belt. Siamese cylinders dont remove that much width but they certainly removed a lot in front of the shortblock. Once you strip a EJ25 and a EJ30 down to the short block, it's resonably apparent the EJ30 is more like a EJ20 with two cylinders added.

EJ25 short block with a semi closed deck mod done to it

EJ30 short block

Note the lack of thing hanging off the front of the EJ30. The crank pully sits well inboard of where it would on a EJ25

I think the EJ30 long block comes out to be 20mm longer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The only thing you really have to change when going from a 4-cylinder to a 6-cylinder is to shorten the upper rad hose a bit, iirc. Even the motor mounts are the same. A remarkable job of Subaru engineering effort to make a swap that literally nobody does much easier.

Wait till you get to the real PITA - Wire that sucker up. Also it's not quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite as straightforward as rumour says as I'm learning working out how to stuff one into a GF8

Also the scar on my leg is testiment to the fact the EJ30 is very noticably heavier. I can manhandle a EJ20 by myself, try that with a EJ30 and uhhh....hopefully you dont lose the blood I did when it slipped from my hands

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You are correct other than the fact that the EJ30 does not exist.
I assume that you mean EZ30.
(sorry, I am sperg.)

I learned from a Skid Factory (Turbo Yoda/Al from MCM) video that the early EZ30s like mine basically had the exhaust collected in the head, so other than a better muffler, there's nothing you can really do to help them breathe via exhaust. On the upside, though, they're easy to plumb up for a turbo because of it. The '03-up ('04 in US) third-gen Outbacks/Legacies had a proper exhaust-port-per-cylinder, and headers with proper collectors can be of benefit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Plus those pictures are opposite sides of the engines. 1 and 3 (and 5) are offset forward by the width of a crank throw and main journal.

Here is an actual closed deck converted block from the same side (that other one is a sleeved block with some pins added around the sleeve).

It's not really there's more "stuff" forward of the cylinder on the block itself, just that the bores are closer together and smaller and the timing chain stuff is narrower than a belt.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 3, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I just want you to know that I shoved that greasy lump back in its greasy hole without cleaning a goddamn thing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son doin' thangs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
1-year ownership update:

*rusty brake line ruptures*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

1-year ownership update:

*rusty brake line ruptures*

Hate hate hate that. My Avalon sat for about 4 months until I got off my rear end to replace a section of hard brake line. Pain in the rear end job with no reward at the end... the car just stops again. Whoopee.

Good luck!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I love when the line is routed up over the frame and installed before the body is to make replacement a charm.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
This particular line runs from the ABS pump down the firewall, behind the engine. Of course it had the be the line with the most obstructed access on the entire car.

Elephanthead posted:

I love when the line is routed up over the frame and installed before the body is to make replacement a charm.

GMT400s ran the rear line inside the frame channel next to the fuel tank.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

When your Impreza is leakier than your NA Miata.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

*declares Subie fixed, whilst knocking agressively on every available piece of wood*

Who had "2 weeks to the day" in the pool? Claim your prize.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

When your Impreza is leakier than your NA Miata.

Dagen H posted:

Who had "2 weeks to the day" in the pool? Claim your prize.

Jesus. :rip:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
False alarm. Loose hose clamp (two weeks after I last touched it?!?) --> coolant loss --> parking-lot refill --> improper fill/burp --> air pocket --> overheat.

He shut it down before the gauge pegged and got it towed home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

False alarm. Loose hose clamp (two weeks after I last touched it?!?) --> coolant loss --> parking-lot refill --> improper fill/burp --> air pocket --> overheat.

He shut it down before the gauge pegged and got it towed home.

This is pretty much what happened to my 9-2X. I still have no idea how the hose clamps backed off. Good luck!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
PT this morning (lumbar osteoarthritis, ouch), then off to the FLAPS for brake piping.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Hate hate hate that.

How do you feel about replacing that line, and then during the bleeding process, the next-rustiest line blows? I can't get enough of that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can't say I've ever had a brake line rust out. :smug:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

Can't say I've ever had a brake line rust out. :smug:

An acquaintence of mine went to SEMA once, and was admiring one vendor's display of pre-bent SS lines for domestic trucks. A local stopped, looked at the display, furrowed his brow, and asked, "What are those for?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’m just happy to live where that never happens, except in extreme circumstances. Or a lot of rust in general. Still happens, but you generally can’t, say, fit a cat through the holes.