Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You’re probably going to hate what you find if you pull that rocker trim off.

I’ve always sort of liked the Aztek’s interior. It’s just the awkwardness of the exterior that was always the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Let's be honest, the styling is bizarre. But a) I think it's cohesive, and b) I don't find it offensive.

I know it's trite, but I can't tell a new CR-V from a Sportage from a Forester.

I thought the original Aztek concept was pretty neat, but then they forced it fit on the standard GM minivan platform, with it’s tiny wheels (relative to the concept) and much higher cowl. GM made another concept that basically had a Corvette under it, and that pretty much fixed all the awkwardness issues, with wheel openings moved up, and larger, with larger wheels. Also, V8 RWD.

I can tell the difference between the CUVs you mention, but it’s a near thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Montecarlo ss bits...

This.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

loving lol

Is that a complete lack of cabin filter I’m seeing there?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I just bought a 2' x 4' folding table from Costco. It's plastic, but I screwed down a 1/4 sheet of masonite to it. Main reason I got the one I did was that the legs are extendable, so I can get it up to something approaching standing working height. Working well so far. For those that look at my thread, it's the table I take most of the pictures on, and that my galvanizing rig sits on.
I also bought a Stanley plastic sawhorse many years ago that has a fold out 2' x 2' table built in. Still use that one a lot, especially working on the cars in the driveway. It also has peg holes an clamps that go in the holes stored in it, which actually work well.

Mine has several saw cuts, and a few burns/melted bits in it, but it has held up well. Not sure they make it any more.

This is the folding table I got: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-80160-Commercial-Adjustable-Folding/dp/B003DYZQKY/
But I didn't pay $54. $40 I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'd throw Loc-Tite on the bolts and call it goo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

It's gel.

Lol, didn’t even see that typo. Gonna leave it now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pretty sure it's faded, but it was a dark grey to begin with.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

I've had pretty good luck with meguiars back to black. It lasts a long time.

Seconded. Stuff worked well on the formerly-black rubber and plastic bits on my Cherokee.
They even sell it in spray cans now, I believe.

Edit: It's "Mother's" brand, but yes: https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06110-Plastic-Restorer-Aerosol/dp/B018663LFU/ref=asc_df_B018663LFU/
Interesting that it says it works on trims of all colors. I'mma 'bout to try it on the window cranks of my shitbox Corolla.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Needs more Jeremy Clarkson voice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That donor in the wrecking yard looked really clean!

metaxus posted:

Excellent work.

I love doing small but significant detail things like this on high-mileage cars, not just because they are straightforward to do.

If you do enough of them, it takes the car from looking like a neglected shitpile into looking like a solid, well-cared-for vehicle.

I like making all the little stuff that people let go work on my acquired cars. Dome lights, glovebox lights, power sockets, that sort of stuff. If it's there, it needs to work. *Then* I start upgrading it. Before I sold it, my base model Jeep Cherokee got a center console, overhead console, factory fog lights, cruise control, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, tilt steering column, rear dome light, additional footwell lights, trailer plug wiring, and I had wired it up for the rear defroster, but not swapped out the glass yet. Jeep legos are fun.
The cop-car Crown Vic so far has gotten carpet, a nice rear seat, working inside door handles and locks on the rear doors, and automatic headlights. I've also got an overhead console and matching headliner to install. I want all my convenience options. If I were ambitious, I'd attempt to install the automatic electronic HVAC from an upper civilian model, but I'm not that much of a masochist.

I know that GMs of the Aztek's era were every bit as much legos. Mix and match options are fun!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Being a SOHC EJ25 in an engine bay made for an EZ30 means I have a good bit of room between the front of the engine and the radiator support, and being SOHC I can't imagine the timing belt being a difficult job if I do need to tear it apart.

So, uh, gonna be the sperg guy.

:spergin::viggo:

The EZ30 is only a few inches longer than an EJ25. It was specifically designed to fit in engine bays designed for the 4-cylinder so they didn’t have to redesign the cars, unlike the earlier EG33 H6 in the SVX, which was literally the 4-cylinder with two more cylinders added. The EZ30/36 used Siamese cylinders and some other tricks to keep it remarkably short.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You are correct other than the fact that the EJ30 does not exist.
I assume that you mean EZ30.
(sorry, I am sperg.)

I learned from a Skid Factory (Turbo Yoda/Al from MCM) video that the early EZ30s like mine basically had the exhaust collected in the head, so other than a better muffler, there's nothing you can really do to help them breathe via exhaust. On the upside, though, they're easy to plumb up for a turbo because of it. The '03-up ('04 in US) third-gen Outbacks/Legacies had a proper exhaust-port-per-cylinder, and headers with proper collectors can be of benefit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can't say I've ever had a brake line rust out. :smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’m just happy to live where that never happens, except in extreme circumstances. Or a lot of rust in general. Still happens, but you generally can’t, say, fit a cat through the holes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Body yes, chassis no (other than the rear brushguard). Purchased with a rod knock, engine now seized.

AI has the best mod :allears:

Oh, hey, new thread title. I wondered why I had this thread bookmarked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Any manufacturer that puts the ECU on or very near the floor needs a brick to the forehead. This is why.
Mazda put the ECU in the passenger footwell of the RX-7 FB and FC, but at least it's on the sloping part, and stood off from the floor 10mm or so.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, yes, didn’t think about the carpet holding the water and just making it nice and swampy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, so glad I live where it (usually) doesn't rust.