Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ǝɥɔɐɔ ʇuoɟ ƃuᴉplᴉnqǝɹ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
VLC sucks because its solution to audio normalization is to let the user overdrive the audio rather than actually normalize the audio. Color rendering is incorrect and typically displays black shades a few tones above true black, giving media a washed our appearance. however its broadcast features are useful and it opens most files without trouble so here we are

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Silver Alicorn posted:

VLC sucks because its solution to audio normalization is to let the user overdrive the audio rather than actually normalize the audio. Color rendering is incorrect and typically displays black shades a few tones above true black, giving media a washed our appearance. however its broadcast features are useful and it opens most files without trouble so here we are

Fix your driver settings if you're experiencing "washed out appearance", that's not a VLC issue. Also, it does have audio normalization, but as an optional feature. Just like it should be.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
every player ive ever used has had normalization available but lol if you ever use it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Silver Alicorn posted:

VLC sucks because its solution to audio normalization is to let the user overdrive the audio

I see no problem with this???

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk I'm not a sound guy

all I know is when I put a dvd into my Mac I don't need to turn up the volume

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that’s because macs are gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

for a while, dell support in the UK when presented with failed laptop speakers were asking people 'do you use vlc' and if the answer was yes refusing warranty service over the 200% volume thing. all the while showing a complete lack of understanding what audio clipping means, and why if hard clipping breaks a contained system you made, it's your loving fault.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Father Jack posted:

for a while, dell support in the UK when presented with failed laptop speakers were asking people 'do you use vlc' and if the answer was yes refusing warranty service over the 200% volume thing. all the while showing a complete lack of understanding what audio clipping means, and why if hard clipping breaks a contained system you made, it's your loving fault.

don't stop im almost there

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

does anyone else use media player classic or is it just me

I dunno vlc seems fine but a bit sparse with options by default

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

m’lady

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

as someone who's into old digital cameras and camcorders i appreciate vlc's ability to play whatever hosed up format camera manufacturers thought was a good idea

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

as someone who's into old digital cameras and camcorders i appreciate vlc's ability to play whatever hosed up format camera manufacturers thought was a good idea

i am currently watching a mystery Matroska on hpc-be

but if i felt i needed to id use vlc

gently caress pagancow anyway

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
vlc used to default to limited tv range colors (16-235) instead of the full range (0-255) that basically every computer monitor ever uses. i think that's where the "vlc displays everything in weird washed-out tones" thing came from

i dont know if it still does that i haven't used it in years

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i don’t know why, but videos look better in mpv than vlc. it might be the black level thing, it’s like the contrast is better or something.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
VLC stole that 200% volume thing from that one release of Hotline where they added a deafening “WELCOME TO HOTLINE” startup sound with no warning

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i play all my videos by having pagancow watch them on his computer and telling me about how good he's made them look because he knows a lot about codecs

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

he was there for me to play indie game soundtracks directly from the game content folder

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
From the (in)security fuckup thread:

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://twitter.com/11rcombs/status/1086531879178829824

They verify against a PGP key that they download over HTTP.

Edit: It gets better, apparently they roll their own PGP implementation too. And they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

They're handling it well: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/21737

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh my god

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

uhhhh

so what do people use instead of vlc nowadays

:ohdear:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

uhhhh

netflix and youtube

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

akadajet posted:

oh my god
lol it 404s for me now

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i get a redirect lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

uhhhh

LMAO

Anyway, well, Media Player Classic, k-lite mega codec pack includes it and everything else

Has more strict licencing if you want to use it commercially though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i get a redirect lol

:sweep:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Private Speech posted:

LMAO

Anyway, well, Media Player Classic, k-lite mega codec pack includes it and everything else

thanks, glad that old thing is still around and being updated

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Private Speech posted:

LMAO

Ah, that takes me back. Maybe I'll go all out and run it in a Windows 98 VM for good measure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ah, that takes me back. Maybe I'll go all out and run it in a Windows 98 VM for good measure.

It's very no-nonsense and functional, and it's got all sorts plugins for just about everything nowadays, included in the k-lite pack

No traffic cone though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

uhhhh

mpv is good

Private Speech posted:

LMAO

problem: a video player downloads updates over http, a potentially insecure protocol
solution: install a random collection of garbage software put together by and for teenage anime enthusiasts who just grabbed the individual components from random, unknown sources

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The_Franz posted:

mpv is good

problem: a video player downloads updates over http, a potentially insecure protocol
solution: install a random collection of garbage software put together by and for teenage anime enthusiasts who just grabbed the individual components from random, unknown sources

said random collection of crap installed some kind of "adaware WebCompanion" thing without telling me and, in broken English, warns me I'm putting myself at risk by uninstalling it

yeah gently caress that, i'll look rather more carefully at mpv after some quick paranoia checkups

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Private Speech posted:

LMAO

don't download some dumb lovely codec pack. just get mpc-hc straight from its own website. I've literally never needed to install a codec.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

said random collection of crap installed some kind of "adaware WebCompanion" thing without telling me and, in broken English, warns me I'm putting myself at risk by uninstalling it

yeah gently caress that, i'll look rather more carefully at mpv after some quick paranoia checkups

uhh where did you download it from? pretty sure k-lite doesn't come with anything like that by default, and it lets you choose every individual component

The anime codec pack is the CCCP, which is kinda crappy, but I never had problems with k-lite before.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Private Speech posted:

uhh where did you download it from? pretty sure k-lite doesn't come with anything like that by default

The anime codec pack is the CCCP, which is kinda crappy, but I never had problems with k-lite before.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm was where i ended up--the url seemed like a clickbait domain all on its own but as near as I can tell from crosschecking results and other downloads, it's the real one

it's very likely i just stumbled over a default opt-in checkbox during the installer like a dumbass, but still

fake edit: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/41540-k-lite-codec-pack-1065-now-with-bundled-adware/ older url but i guess I'm not the only one

(edit) looks like that'd be why my default search got reset, too--letting that damned thing get installed reset it from DDG to Bing. i gotta be more careful (and never bother with k-lite again, mpc-hc seems fine on its own [thanks JBT])

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 19, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm was where i ended up--the url seemed like a clickbait domain all on its own but as near as I can tell from crosschecking results and other downloads, it's the real one

it's very likely i just stumbled over a default opt-in checkbox during the installer like a dumbass, but still

fake edit: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/41540-k-lite-codec-pack-1065-now-with-bundled-adware/ older url but i guess I'm not the only one

Oh okay, I don't remember there being bundled-in adware but I've had it installed for a while now. I'm fairly certain it is an opt-out though.

K-lite itself doesn't have problems with unistalling, I've just done it right now to make sure. Sorry about the trouble.

e: I've just reinstalled the thing with all default options and there's not adware I really don't know. The website is the real one.

Ninite has it too, so that's an option, but I don't think they'd include adware-containing apps. Either way sorry.

e2: Apparently it only shows the adware box on the first install.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
VLC has weird blocking/blurring problems with a lot of videos. MPC is effectively dead however so in terms of "it just werks" media players you're kinda stuck.

It works well enough for 99% of people though so who cares

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

truth be told akadajet's reply to my initial query was the right one anyway

akadajet posted:

netflix and youtube

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Private Speech posted:

It's very no-nonsense and functional, and it's got all sorts plugins for just about everything nowadays, included in the k-lite pack

No traffic cone though

The cone gets a little santa hat during christmas :3:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fabricated posted:

VLC has weird blocking/blurring problems with a lot of videos. MPC is effectively dead however so in terms of "it just werks" media players you're kinda stuck.

It works well enough for 99% of people though so who cares

mpc is dead because mpc-hc is the current active project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

mpc is dead because mpc-hc is the current active project

is there a site other than mpc-hc.org it's being run out of? seems the last dev there called it a day a year and a half ago https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

(e) oh guess someone forked it and took over https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc

• Locked thread