Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

does anyone else use media player classic or is it just me

I dunno vlc seems fine but a bit sparse with options by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

uhhhh

so what do people use instead of vlc nowadays

:ohdear:

LMAO

Anyway, well, Media Player Classic, k-lite mega codec pack includes it and everything else

Has more strict licencing if you want to use it commercially though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ah, that takes me back. Maybe I'll go all out and run it in a Windows 98 VM for good measure.

It's very no-nonsense and functional, and it's got all sorts plugins for just about everything nowadays, included in the k-lite pack

No traffic cone though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

said random collection of crap installed some kind of "adaware WebCompanion" thing without telling me and, in broken English, warns me I'm putting myself at risk by uninstalling it

yeah gently caress that, i'll look rather more carefully at mpv after some quick paranoia checkups

uhh where did you download it from? pretty sure k-lite doesn't come with anything like that by default, and it lets you choose every individual component

The anime codec pack is the CCCP, which is kinda crappy, but I never had problems with k-lite before.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm was where i ended up--the url seemed like a clickbait domain all on its own but as near as I can tell from crosschecking results and other downloads, it's the real one

it's very likely i just stumbled over a default opt-in checkbox during the installer like a dumbass, but still

fake edit: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/41540-k-lite-codec-pack-1065-now-with-bundled-adware/ older url but i guess I'm not the only one

Oh okay, I don't remember there being bundled-in adware but I've had it installed for a while now. I'm fairly certain it is an opt-out though.

K-lite itself doesn't have problems with unistalling, I've just done it right now to make sure. Sorry about the trouble.

e: I've just reinstalled the thing with all default options and there's not adware I really don't know. The website is the real one.

Ninite has it too, so that's an option, but I don't think they'd include adware-containing apps. Either way sorry.

e2: Apparently it only shows the adware box on the first install.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2019

• Locked thread