Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I got fired for being sick and leaving the workplace in an ambulance and I'm in an at-will state so I can't do anything about it, and an incompetent manager accidentally told me that the more write ups you have (like if you had to miss a day) that means you pretty much won't qualify for unemployment cause they're gonna counter-sue or whatever.

:patriot:

Start discussion here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

It's bullshit

Do companies have any incentive to actually make sure that former workers don't collect unemployment? I would imagine unemployment money doesn't actually come out of their company account once you have left service, and they are just being spiteful about it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I got fired from my job one day before I qualified for health insurance. I worked 1 year and 364 days on that poo poo. Everything sucks.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
The American labor market is beyond repair.

On one side you have tech recruiters tripping over their dicks to give college graduates six-digit salaries and on the other you have poor middle aged people struggling to get more than 30 hours on federal minimum wage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's yet another indignity in a litany of crimes against the worker.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

Start discussion here!
:yooge: YOU'RE FIRED

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress this stupid piece of poo poo country where you are free to make the lords money or die.

It's just on par with Santa Claus at this point. We're a lovely banana republic filled with brainwashed fuckheads who love it they just can't get enough billionaire dick down their holes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Asimov posted:

It's bullshit

Do companies have any incentive to actually make sure that former workers don't collect unemployment? I would imagine unemployment money doesn't actually come out of their company account once you have left service, and they are just being spiteful about it.

I believe it's only partly covered by the actual unemployment insurance payouts and partly covered by the company.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You should apply for unemployment anyway bc write ups have nothing to do with it bro. And at worst you just get denied after having made them spend money to argue against it.

Protip HR and management lie without remorse or repentance if they think it will gently caress you some more.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

succ posted:

On one side you have tech recruiters tripping over their dicks to give college graduates six-digit salaries
lol if this were 2001 maybe

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

I got fired for being sick and leaving the workplace in an ambulance and I'm in an at-will state so I can't do anything about it, and an incompetent manager accidentally told me that the more write ups you have (like if you had to miss a day) that means you pretty much won't qualify for unemployment cause they're gonna counter-sue or whatever.

:patriot:

Start discussion here!

call the bluff

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

succ posted:

On one side you have tech recruiters tripping over their dicks to give college graduates six-digit salaries

hahahahahahahaha

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Absolutely apply for unemployment

I applied for it a while back and the lady at there was all "We asked and they said they fired you because you didn't show up"

"Yeah, they gave me the loving day off and then some other lady in management fired me for not showing up. Also it was Christmas Day"

"Haha what the hell? *looks at Dec. 25 termination date on paperwork* :chanpop:"

[APPROVED]

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
american workers should collectively stop working "at-will" until employers agree to better wages and terms of employment

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dead Beef posted:

american workers should collectively stop working "at-will" until employers agree to better wages and terms of employment

it wouldn't work unless a bunch of them did it at once

a "union" if you will

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A general strike would be dope.

I feeeel like people are seriously underestimating how pissed off and how close to the edge many poor people in the USA are, esp younger ones who have no kids. Paris riots gonna look like a nice day in the springtime when great depression 2 happens.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

You should apply for unemployment insurance, you have paid money in to it and you deserve some back now that you need it. In my state at least is was pretty cool and there was a building to go to with people to help you navigate the system. Here are a few myths that the man tries to make you believe.

- Don't tell your coworkers your salary or wages, a gentleman never tells!
- Only losers collect unemployment
- The company has your best interests at heart

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

TheDon01 posted:

Absolutely apply for unemployment

I applied for it a while back and the lady at there was all "We asked and they said they fired you because you didn't show up"

"Yeah, they gave me the loving day off and then some other lady in management fired me for not showing up. Also it was Christmas Day"

"Haha what the hell? *looks at Dec. 25 termination date on paperwork* :chanpop:"

[APPROVED]

Problem is that I didn't show up a few times recently cause I've been sick. Obviously I got write ups. So I'm screwed. I don't have doctors notes cause I didn't go to the doctor and was just in bed for the most part except to feed my cats.

I lost 7 lbs in a week and I still can't eat except chicken broth and such so I'm going to the doctor today but regardless I'm still fired.

It especially sucks because I was the best manager in the store, everyone said so and I was also highest paid due to being best. But the area manager hated me and I overheard him LAUGHING when the store manager called to tell him I'm going to the ER. Anyways he's most likely (100%) the reason I got fired.

Really kind of should be illegal to fire someone for being sick...

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

call the bluff

Yeah file anyway

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
There's no such thing as counter suing for unemployment, it's an insurance claim that either gets approved or denied and you payroll taxes pay into it

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

If I work for another year and a half I will qualify for health insurance.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I quit my job when I realized that I hated waking up every day, had savings in the bank, was ahead on the mortgage, and the job was about to get ridiculously busy.
Stressful.
However, my boss saying "Well, we'll figure ...something out, I guess" and then shaking my hand on the way out the door made it a little more laughable self-own.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Asimov posted:

It's bullshit

yeah

the unemployment system is funded by a specific unemployment tax on employers

the size of the tax is dependent on a number of factors, and one of those factors is how many of your ex-employees get unemployment benefits in a given time period

more claims = higher tax rate for the company for the next 3 years. so there's a massive incentive for any decent-sized company to discourage their employees from making claims

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah

the unemployment system is funded by a specific unemployment tax on employers

the size of the tax is dependent on a number of factors, and one of those factors is how many of your ex-employees get unemployment benefits in a given time period

more claims = higher tax rate for the company for the next 3 years. so there's a massive incentive for any decent-sized company to discourage their employees from making claims

lol this is doomsday economics as hell. I just signed on for unemployment here in the UK and in order to get the huge sum of £73 a week I have to keep a log of 35 hours a week of looking for a job

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. Your management 100% meant for you to 'overhear' that thing about write ups so you wouldn't apply for unemployment, especially in a situation like this where it's pretty cut and dried they hosed you for no reason. Even by the standards of an at will state

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What makes me bitterly amused by at will employment is that boomers voted for it so they wouldn't have to pay Union dues

Like, never forget at-will employment was voted on and won in these states.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jose posted:

lol this is doomsday economics as hell. I just signed on for unemployment here in the UK and in order to get the huge sum of £73 a week I have to keep a log of 35 hours a week of looking for a job

how does that even work? im unemployed and job hunting for eight hours means sending out stupid resumes and taking quizzes and writing cover letters while watching tv, how do they like..confirm you did this? also lol the english privatizing and means testing everything for a whole like...$90 a week, which isn't even close to sufficient for a single person to sustain themselves but i guess its better than having no access to any services at all, including important healthcare

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fun fact, Montana is the only state that doesn't have at-will employment, for some reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Frog Act posted:

how does that even work? im unemployed and job hunting for eight hours means sending out stupid resumes and taking quizzes and writing cover letters while watching tv, how do they like..confirm you did this? also lol the english privatizing and means testing everything for a whole like...$90 a week, which isn't even close to sufficient for a single person to sustain themselves but i guess its better than having no access to any services at all, including important healthcare

well fortunately since i got laid off i get onto the really easy one where i just write in the booklet they give me what i did and when so can be real lazy about it. like if i do a long application that takes a few hours that counts. if i have a 2 hour commute to an interview it all counts. i kind of regret signing on because my savings are enough for me to last a good while yet. if i was renting i'd get housing benefit but since i've got a mortgage i don't lol

our government have been absolutely brutal with austerity in trying to get everyone off any welfare whatsoever. Its why the study that was done had like 120k people who died as a result

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jose posted:

well fortunately since i got laid off i get onto the really easy one where i just write in the booklet they give me what i did and when so can be real lazy about it. like if i do a long application that takes a few hours that counts. if i have a 2 hour commute to an interview it all counts. i kind of regret signing on because my savings are enough for me to last a good while yet. if i was renting i'd get housing benefit but since i've got a mortgage i don't lol

our government have been absolutely brutal with austerity in trying to get everyone off any welfare whatsoever. Its why the study that was done had like 120k people who died as a result

yeah I'm not an super familiar with British politics but I have been following privatization via Corbyn's twitter and its pretty sad to see the British actively tear down the postwar systems that allowed the UK to remain solvent and semi-livable after decolonization, but it still seems pretty generous to me relative to our options here. I looked into temporary disability here because I would technically qualify but its borderline impossible to do something like that unless you have a lawyer helping and then they chuck you right off if you accumulate any wealth over like $1000 or $2.5k in assets, so I also gave my name to the employment commission and stuff but nobody wants to hire someone with a master's degree for temp work, but they also don't to hire me for real work. There just aren't any helpful services available at all

this reminds me that I've been watching an english comedy called 15 Storeys High, which is filmed/set in a London housing estate. I was curious and googled for awhile to determine exactly who is eligible for social housing in London and prices around the "Brandon Estate" area where its filmed and learned that English council housing is way easier to acquire than US public housing in terms of income requirements, and that several people have been shot/stabbed to death in and around those specific buildings, and that despite the apparent crime, houses nearby are still a minimum of $500,000-$1m and people are buying them

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

well fortunately since i got laid off i get onto the really easy one where i just write in the booklet they give me what i did and when so can be real lazy about it.

In California they had me do the same except it was a website not a booklet and all I had to do was say I was looking for a job. There was a bit where you were supposed to fill out where you went and who you talked to etc. but the unemployment people told me nah don't worry about that just check the box that says you're looking.

The amount I got was not enough to get my bills paid ofc.

Thin Privilege posted:

Problem is that I didn't show up a few times recently cause I've been sick. Obviously I got write ups. So I'm screwed. I don't have doctors notes cause I didn't go to the doctor and was just in bed for the most part except to feed my cats.

Please please at least file for unemployment, it will cost you nothing.

ShriekingMarxist posted:

There's no such thing as counter suing for unemployment, it's an insurance claim that either gets approved or denied and you payroll taxes pay into it

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Dec 6, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yinlock posted:

call the bluff

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i got laid off from a small oil and gas website after the founder was found guilty of wire fraud charges and went to jail and the unemployment process for texas was pretty straightforward, but a lot of texans are dumb as poo poo so many the process as dumbed down idk

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

file for unemployment OP, you'll probably get denied initially so be prepared to file an appeal

if management wants to fight it the burden is on them to prove that you were fired with cause

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What makes me bitterly amused by at will employment is that boomers voted for it so they wouldn't have to pay Union dues

Like, never forget at-will employment was voted on and won in these states.

at will employment is not the same as right to work

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

idg how everyone always confuses those

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

zegermans posted:

it's like how goons mix up some similarly spelled words and have face blindness op

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jenny Agutter posted:

poo poo you're right

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

zegermans posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I refuse to feel bad for confusing Americas multiple regressive labor practices