Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Modest Mao posted:

I don't think medical reasons are covered by at-will so if your boss fired you when you were sick I'd have a law office send a letter or w/e and get some money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_and_Medical_Leave_Act_of_1993

FMLA doesn't apply for acute illnesses. If it was something due to a disability then sure. For a cold or flu or similar it doesn't apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sick leave, or any leave at all--even unpaid--is not required by law

USA!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Thesaurus posted:

Sick leave, or any leave at all--even unpaid--is not required by law

USA!

Mostly true, but in Minneapolis, MN we passed a sick and safe time law that allows for all employees that work in Minneapolis (temp, full time, part time, etc) to take time off for their own illness or a family member's illness. It can also be used in other scenarios like dealing with domestic violence or some other stuff. All employees also accrue hours that they can use to be paid for that missed time. Tim Walz is looking to try and get the state legislature to pass similar at the state level; which would be awesome.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Raldikuk posted:

Mostly true, but in Minneapolis, MN we passed a sick and safe time law that allows for all employees that work in Minneapolis (temp, full time, part time, etc) to take time off for their own illness or a family member's illness. It can also be used in other scenarios like dealing with domestic violence or some other stuff. All employees also accrue hours that they can use to be paid for that missed time. Tim Walz is looking to try and get the state legislature to pass similar at the state level; which would be awesome.

The solution to this (and any labor law, really) is 1099 workers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the solution to employers using lots of 1099s is unironically arson and sabotage

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

And the solution to employers using lots of 1099s is unironically arson and sabotage

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

individualism good

IMO this is the defining trait of America but it goes way deeper than just labor. We just do not like being told what to do or being around others if we don't have to.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

hell yeah im with you but "commit felonies" is a hard sell

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

IMO this is the defining trait of America but it goes way deeper than just labor. We just do not like being told what to do or being around others if we don't have to.

Yeah we love wage slavery, landlordism, and billionaires being above the rule of law though apparently.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Personally I love when someone at some crappy job is salaried at $30K or something but because they're salaried they're expected to do anything and everything but the word "salary" sounds so good to so many people. Yes I make $30K a year and have to now work 20 days in a row of 11 hour shifts but I'm salaried!!! And if I don't I will be fired.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
yeah salary is some hosed up judo poo poo by capitalists

they promote someone and now they're no longer paid hourly wooooo!!! and of course that really just means they can just demand they work like unlimited unpaid overtime

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
"salary" isn't a a magic word that banishes overtime

there's also other conditions that have to be met to be exempt

they're not very strict, but it's not like companies can just make a fry cook salaried and then make them work 60 hours a week with no overtime*

*in theory anyway. in practice, worker misclassification is rampant and labor law enforcement is nearly non-existent

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Postoyevsky posted:

the only protection you have from at will employment is a union contract. hell, the only protections you can rely on at work period are union contracts, op.

Not even this AFL-CIO regularly hung us out to dry.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Not even this AFL-CIO regularly hung us out to dry.

what do you mean

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

"salary" isn't a a magic word that banishes overtime

there's also other conditions that have to be met to be exempt

they're not very strict, but it's not like companies can just make a fry cook salaried and then make them work 60 hours a week with no overtime*

*in theory anyway. in practice, worker misclassification is rampant and labor law enforcement is nearly non-existent

there was a big push to make new updated rules to make this a little less poo poo right at the end of the Obama administration but a judge in Texas killed it when the lawsuit got that far

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Postoyevsky posted:

what do you mean

As in there was a dispute with management and they said they would do something but, did nothing. We all got hosed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Postoyevsky posted:

hell yeah im with you but "commit felonies" is a hard sell

Don't get caught and it's not a felony

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Postoyevsky posted:

what do you mean

The AFL have always been spineless compromisers eager to toady up to the bosses. This should have changed with the merger with the CIO and leadership passing to Walter Reuther, but didn't as surprise! the loving toadies didn't hold up their end and Reuther got sidelined.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
will is a lovely boss.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The AFL have always been spineless compromisers eager to toady up to the bosses. This should have changed with the merger with the CIO and leadership passing to Walter Reuther, but didn't as surprise! the loving toadies didn't hold up their end and Reuther got sidelined.

Reuther got sidelined by a plane crash

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

torch your workplaces, Americans

gently caress the bosses, just burn it all to the ground

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
always make them fire u, always fight 4 unemployment benefits

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sounds like you are living in a Dickens novel, op. my condolences.

still, now that I think about it, you'd be written up and ultimately fired without notice here in communist Europa too, if you took sick days without a doctor's notice. getting fired for misconduct also locks you out of unemployment. but then again, we have universal health care and doctor visits are no biggie so it's kinda different

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
salary is a scam

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Postoyevsky posted:

Reuther got sidelined by a plane crash

He was supposed to take over when they merged 1955 after a brief interregnum under George Meany but was blocked by conservatives within the AFL. The crash wasn't until 1970, after he'd finally had enough and pulled the UAW out of the AFL-CIO two years earlier.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

sounds like you are living in a Dickens novel, op. my condolences.

still, now that I think about it, you'd be written up and ultimately fired without notice here in communist Europa too, if you took sick days without a doctor's notice. getting fired for misconduct also locks you out of unemployment. but then again, we have universal health care and doctor visits are no biggie so it's kinda different

Its extremely different. Try living a Dickens novel and see if they let you go to a doctor.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
I hopoe joe biden makes there be a lto of jobs. I heard he was going to make there bea lot of jobs.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I'm sure biden will get right on thihahahahahaha

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1352333971514937344?s=21
UFCW represented the people who just got laid off so they’ll do gently caress all, other UFCW shops can’t strike in solidarity because UFCW puts a no strike no lockout provision in every contract and I’m so pissed

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What good is a union if they don't let you strike.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Dr Pepper posted:

What good is a union if they don't let you strike.

I'm like genuinely convinced that UFCW is in the pocket of the grocery chains so they don't have the threat of an actually decent union

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I got fired for being sick and leaving the workplace in an ambulance and I'm in an at-will state so I can't do anything about it, and an incompetent manager accidentally told me that the more write ups you have (like if you had to miss a day) that means you pretty much won't qualify for unemployment cause they're gonna counter-sue or whatever.

:patriot:

Start discussion here!

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/699706718419345408

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Is this the thread where we lol at the google "Union"? because lol.

quote:

But unlike a traditional union, which demands that an employer come to the bargaining table to agree on a contract, the Alphabet Workers Union is a so-called minority union that represents a fraction of the company’s more than 260,000 full-time employees and contractors. Workers said it was primarily an effort to give structure and longevity to activism at Google, rather than to negotiate for a contract.

This is definitely a company ratfuck.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Retromancer posted:

Is this the thread where we lol at the google "Union"? because lol.

This is definitely a company ratfuck.

i didn't really understand it at first either since it's so different from the "classic" method of workplace organization that Janus tried to kill but people far smarter than me explained that it's the "wall to wall" method. it was born directly out of the employee-led effort to stop Google from selling their facial recognition tech to law enforcement and will likely focus on those types of things rather than contract negotiations since they're a minority union (for now). worth noting that they have grown from 200 to over 700 since the initial announce though which is kind of insane. i guess this model has had some success winning majority unions in art museums so it'll be cool to see how this plays out in the tech sector.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hoping they crack ping.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I quit on January 1st because I was tired of delivering pizzas in a pandemic and also because the case numbers were going up. Can I still file for unemployment anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Caithness posted:

I quit on January 1st because I was tired of delivering pizzas in a pandemic and also because the case numbers were going up. Can I still file for unemployment anyway?

probably not but your local unemployment agency will give you the criteria for applying so go check them out