Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Thin Privilege posted:

Problem is that I didn't show up a few times recently cause I've been sick. Obviously I got write ups. So I'm screwed. I don't have doctors notes cause I didn't go to the doctor and was just in bed for the most part except to feed my cats.

I lost 7 lbs in a week and I still can't eat except chicken broth and such so I'm going to the doctor today but regardless I'm still fired.

It especially sucks because I was the best manager in the store, everyone said so and I was also highest paid due to being best. But the area manager hated me and I overheard him LAUGHING when the store manager called to tell him I'm going to the ER. Anyways he's most likely (100%) the reason I got fired.

Really kind of should be illegal to fire someone for being sick...

Nah, I bolded the reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

I don't think medical reasons are covered by at-will so if your boss fired you when you were sick I'd have a law office send a letter or w/e and get some money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_and_Medical_Leave_Act_of_1993

FMLA doesn't apply for acute illnesses. If it was something due to a disability then sure. For a cold or flu or similar it doesn't apply.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

Sick leave, or any leave at all--even unpaid--is not required by law

USA!

Mostly true, but in Minneapolis, MN we passed a sick and safe time law that allows for all employees that work in Minneapolis (temp, full time, part time, etc) to take time off for their own illness or a family member's illness. It can also be used in other scenarios like dealing with domestic violence or some other stuff. All employees also accrue hours that they can use to be paid for that missed time. Tim Walz is looking to try and get the state legislature to pass similar at the state level; which would be awesome.