Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Sliced this guys ears off and moved them further down his face, I like it better. Still needs cleanup.

Also filled out the body some and added a couple more wires for the wing ribs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Redid a hand

And added a sleeve

The hand now looks a bit oversized, though I think that's just the weird proportions of old orks. I also managed to cut a slice in it after taking that photo so I guess that needs touching up.

Probably going to add a cuff to the sleeve once the putty's hardened, then unless I decide to redo the hand yet again he might be done.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
It's hard to tell the scale on that mini, but the hand looks good meeple.

Added some fur to bat face and roughed in arms. The fur texture was surprisingly easy to pull off. I just kind of dabbed at it with edge of a tool.

Tried out adding a little Fimo polymer clay to my green stuff and I like the way it kind of relaxes the putty.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Filled out the abdomen and did an exposed spine

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Skails posted:

This looks really cool. I've been casually following this thread as I start doing some basic greenstuff work for conversions and Im really impressed with the stuff you folks are doing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey, this thread is really cool and is making me want to dig out the ol' ProKreate. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's WIPs and it's super educational.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Skails posted:

That spine looks super great, did you have a trick to doing the vertebrae or was it just doing the same laborious sculpting over and over? I'll admit big repetitive things like that fill me with a bit of dread.

On my own work, finished off the weirdboy arm. I even gave him buttons.

I'm pretty happy with it for a first real go. Wondering what to try next, now...

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I'm kind of making this up as I go along, but the spine took about an hour to hour and a half. It would be faster second time around.
I rolled up a tube or snake with my fingers and stuck it on the back.
Then with a flat edged tool squashed the left and right sides down a bit, leaving a ridge down the middle the along the length of the spine.
Next I separated the spine into segments with a thin edge.
From there it was smooshing the edges of the segments to the approximate shape of the bony knobs sticking out, which accounted for the majority of time spent.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Y’all are doing some awesome sculpting. Skails, that bat is looking really great - really loving the pose and spine especially. Meeple, cool job on the arm sculpt: the fabric is great, and you’re a hell of a lot better at hands than I am.

No pictures (because I’m lazy as hell right now thanks to the semester starting up and needing to print out thousands of syllabi), but I got started on my next project, the Weiner Dogs of War. Armored dachshunds with creatively-attached weapons and equipment, all led by a gnome with a mechanical leg and a large hat. Got concept sketches partially readied, a sculpting plan, and the first dog’s understructure prepared. This is gonna be really fun, as well as really stupid.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Put the tail bones on and bulked the legs and right arm out a bit. worked in some pelvis ridges. I also put some fur on shoulders and back.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Really should set up a lightbox for these pictures.

Three wiener dogs, eventually to be clad in armor. Figured I’d share a shot of the armatures as well as the initial bulking and musculature. All three are in the same state right now, so gotta work on facial details and equipment next.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Filled in the wing ribs. I ran out of time so rushed a bit and they're a little lumpy.

Any suggestions on how I do the big flat wing sections? It seems like they would be difficult to attach and form while they're soft.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Skails posted:

Filled in the wing ribs. I ran out of time so rushed a bit and they're a little lumpy.

Any suggestions on how I do the big flat wing sections? It seems like they would be difficult to attach and form while they're soft.

You have a few options:
  • You can form a big sheet of GS, let it cure for a while, then slice it to shape and attach it.
  • You can use styrene or metal foil as a base for the wing itself, then add a thin sheet of GS over it for detailing, as explained here.
  • You can lay the model flat and drape you GS sheet on the wings, attach it, then smooth it.

I haven’t done wings, but these are the methods I think of.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Thanks for the link, that helped.

Made paper templates to fit close to the size of wing gaps

Ended up using plastic card protectors for the wings its stiff enough to hold shape and still thinner than the plasticard I have.

Here its basically welded on with green stuff. I'll let it cure before filling the rest of the gaps and covering the plastic.

Also I made a little spoon tool. hammered a paperclip flat and stuck it in 3/8 in dowel rod. Saw it on the xenite blog.

the other end has a bit of sharpened paperclip, but I think i will find a needle to put in it.
I used the spoon end a little, liked how it works, seems like it will be great for fine detail.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Hedningen posted:

Finally, had some epoxy left, so I flattened it, smoothed it, and used it to add trim to the chainmail already on the model.

How did you produce the mail texture on this guy? I'm looking for good sources of 28mm mail and scale armour textures to use when converting some historical minis.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

How did you produce the mail texture on this guy? I'm looking for good sources of 28mm mail and scale armour textures to use when converting some historical minis.

Greenstuffworld texture stamp, specifically the small size. It’s pretty useful, and it definitely has made doing chainmail understructures easier.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Sculpted over top side of wings. Tried getting some stretched look around edges and put some texture on with various tools.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That bat is getting really good!

Well, I did what I always do and completely forgot that I was going to try sculpting. Now I've made some new armatures in the right size, so I'll try again.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Skails, that bat is looking great!

Nothing too exciting on my end. Just practicing body shapes and anatomy, as well as going from concept to completion.

I remain terrible at faces!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Thanks!
Covered the bottom of wings and worked on the torso a bit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"Oh, I should try to sculpt up some T'au antenna since I seem to have lost a bunch in the past few years and a straight line block should be simple enough to try....."

Twenty minutes later and I'm remembering how much I hate ProCreate and my own utter lack of skill. Going to have to keep at it. Are there any good youtube channels to check out?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
There is a guy on youtube named Tom Mason who has a bunch of videos. I watched a few, they seem helpful.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Went in and detailed all the finger/wing joints. Also scalloped the wings a bit with a razor blade.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I did this a couple years ago, maybe. First time I actually tried sculpting something. I didn’t really have any proper tools, so I just pressed some random objects into service. I need to paint the hideous thing some day.

Behold, the pack ape!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Some wonderful sculpting by folks here.

In the interest of posting progress, here’s my current project, which has already had multiple revisions to the face not pictured here because I can’t be arsed to take more pictures now.

Also, for people wondering about practice - it’s really just about repetition. Here’s my recent “study one or two features” sculpting, from when I was working on improving my armature process.

These are all either trashed or repurposed. Goatshirime, alas, had enough anatomy flaws that I’m gonna redo him.

For videos: Miniature Mentor’s stuff is quite good. Working on the “Anime Girl” tutorial right now - despite being skeeved out by the model itself, it’s a really in-depth exploration of how to pose and sculpt a miniature.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I really need to try this

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Always try sculpting - it’s fun!

Below is an album of my recent work that’s kinda rough but whatever. I’m getting slowly better.

Here’s a link.

Projects include a random magical girl, finishing up my weird hawk-knight lady, and a vague attempt at a Bloodborn-inspired hunter that is turning out chunkier than I want, but still is fun to play with.

I should sculpt some goblins.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Hedningen posted:

Always try sculpting - it’s fun!

Below is an album of my recent work that’s kinda rough but whatever. I’m getting slowly better.

Here’s a link.

Projects include a random magical girl, finishing up my weird hawk-knight lady, and a vague attempt at a Bloodborn-inspired hunter that is turning out chunkier than I want, but still is fun to play with.

I should sculpt some goblins.

The feathers on hawk knight lady are looking good.

I got back to this bat. Used the flight stand from an inceptor space marine to mount him and did the fur on the body. Mostly down to the feet left.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Skails posted:

The feathers on hawk knight lady are looking good.

I got back to this bat. Used the flight stand from an inceptor space marine to mount him and did the fur on the body. Mostly down to the feet left.

Big fan of that bat.

Seeing as I hope to get more chat and random poo poo going, plus keep me motivated through some ridiculous work stuff, I have an idea.

The SA Mini-Sculpting Miscellany Marathon
Here’s how it works:
  • Post in this thread declaring your interest in participating. Indicate if you have genre preferences or anything like that.
  • I will give you five random pieces of art, which can be anything from “random pictures stolen from Google” to “cool fantasy pictures” to “horrible sketches”. Choose one (or elements from multiple) to base your sculpt.
  • You get four weeks to sculpt. Bonus points given for progress shots, explanations of what inspired you, and other details.
  • At the end of April, sculpts get judged by random goons who haven’t sculpted anything.
  • Fabulous prizes! Or just do it again.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Hedningen posted:

Here’s how it works:
  • Post in this thread declaring your interest in participating. Indicate if you have genre preferences or anything like that.
  • I will give you five random pieces of art, which can be anything from “random pictures stolen from Google” to “cool fantasy pictures” to “horrible sketches”. Choose one (or elements from multiple) to base your sculpt.
  • You get four weeks to sculpt. Bonus points given for progress shots, explanations of what inspired you, and other details.
  • At the end of April, sculpts get judged by random goons who haven’t sculpted anything.
I forgot about this again, so I'll give it a shot! I don't know how to make anything, so I have no genre preference!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hedningen posted:

Here’s how it works:
I haven't sculpted anything more complicated than a booger in my life but I'm game if you accept total noobs.
I have no idea what I'll feel best sculpting so no genre preferences for now.
Do we get different pics each, or 5 pics total for all of us and each goon does their own interpretation?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Pierzak posted:

I haven't sculpted anything more complicated than a booger in my life but I'm game if you accept total noobs.
I have no idea what I'll feel best sculpting so no genre preferences for now.
Do we get different pics each, or 5 pics total for all of us and each goon does their own interpretation?

Of course! We’re all learning here, so easy works.

I have arbitrarily decided it will be five pictures each, because random images are fun and people get inspiration in different ways.

Here’s your inspiration photos

Electric Hobo posted:

I forgot about this again, so I'll give it a shot! I don't know how to make anything, so I have no genre preference!

Here’s some random inspiration Electric Hobo.

Bear in mind I am literally pulling random stuff off of my phone, based off of what might lead to inspiration or elements of art.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hoo boy, you weren't kidding about them being random.

As it is, I'm thinking an early-WW1 equivalent of a Doom marine under a gnarled tree, in an Ian Miller art vibe.

...except there are like 40 things I might trip on on the way, so I'll consider myself lucky if I manage to sculpt something recognizably human :v:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Hoo boy, you weren't kidding about them being random.

As it is, I'm thinking an early-WW1 equivalent of a Doom marine under a gnarled tree, in an Ian Miller art vibe.

...except there are like 40 things I might trip on on the way, so I'll consider myself lucky if I manage to sculpt something recognizably human :v:

You don’t need to try to incorporate all of them, just as a reminder. Just find inspiration somewhere, and let us know how you thought of it.

Gathered more random images in case anyone else wants to join in.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is no way I'll be able to get in on this sculpting but I really love reading this thread.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

TTerrible posted:

There is no way I'll be able to get in on this sculpting but I really love reading this thread.

Just not enough time, I’m guessing? Otherwise, it’s mostly just letting creativity flow - every sculpt teaches you a little more, and there’s always more to learn. I’m still a total beginner, so encouraging people to try their hand.

Also, I’m torn if I should participate in a non-participatory context: if anyone wants to toss out some random images, I’d love to show that I’m not just convincing y’all to try weird stuff that I’m unwilling to do.

I have a few albums prepped if anyone else wants in.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, I'm in! And you should participate too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I should lay out my concept to stay focused.
So the project is Lord of Spring: A huge cat stalking through the forests. Flowers and leaves covers it's fur, and branches protrude like horns from it's head.
Inspiration gotten from these two pictures:

Now! Time to horribly mangle the concept! :toot: (but also to get better at for next time.)

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Skails posted:

Hey, I'm in! And you should participate too.

Then enjoy your random inspiration images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not sure if I'll actually have time to sculpt over the next few weeks, but I'd like to give it a try. Inspiration me!