Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Nice writeup! I'll be following this thread. I have no illusions as for my ability to sculpt whole minis, but if I get good enough for more extensive conversions I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hedningen posted:

The SA Mini-Sculpting Miscellany Marathon
Here’s how it works:
  • Post in this thread declaring your interest in participating. Indicate if you have genre preferences or anything like that.
  • I will give you five random pieces of art, which can be anything from “random pictures stolen from Google” to “cool fantasy pictures” to “horrible sketches”. Choose one (or elements from multiple) to base your sculpt.
  • You get four weeks to sculpt. Bonus points given for progress shots, explanations of what inspired you, and other details.
  • At the end of April, sculpts get judged by random goons who haven’t sculpted anything.
  • Fabulous prizes! Or just do it again.
I haven't sculpted anything more complicated than a booger in my life but I'm game if you accept total noobs.
I have no idea what I'll feel best sculpting so no genre preferences for now.
Do we get different pics each, or 5 pics total for all of us and each goon does their own interpretation?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hoo boy, you weren't kidding about them being random.

As it is, I'm thinking an early-WW1 equivalent of a Doom marine under a gnarled tree, in an Ian Miller art vibe.

...except there are like 40 things I might trip on on the way, so I'll consider myself lucky if I manage to sculpt something recognizably human :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to get anything done on the challenge. I'm starting a new job, and moving, so I'm throwing in the towel before everything starts to annoy me.
I'll still try to do *something*, but not with any kind of timeframe.
Same for me. I'll keep it in mind since I've already got an idea, but I'm not gonna be able to model anything for at least 3 weeks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

They make me uncomfortable. 👍

The most uncomfortable part is the cleanup. :v: