Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've been learning digital sculpting and have been really enjoying it. I'm starting with simpler items - bases, terrain, scatter mostly as practice. But I really like the way this came out so I'm now working on making more of these. Thoughts?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hedningen posted:

I quite like it. What are you sculpting with?

Thanks!! Nomad Sculpt for IPad. It’s not as full featured as Zbrush, but it seemed like a good beginners app.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hedningen posted:

That’s pretty neat - I take it that it’s more of a sculpting than modeling program? As in, it’s closer to moving putty/clay than just making and arranging polygons.

Zbrush is mostly my preference because it’s got a fast workflow that’s closer to traditional sculpting, and a lot of it is absolute overkill. I’m just figuring out proper retopologizing for cleaner models, and it’s killing me slowly how much goes into all of this.

Yeah, that's correct. It's more difficult to do hard surface models, at least at my skill level. I've watched a lot of videos showing how to do it, so I know you can, but precise positioning is difficult for me.

If I do something needing more 'modeling' and precision, I'll start it in Shapr3D (also on iPad, but also has a workstation version).

Oh god, I feel you. All my models are friggin' huge file size-wise, and getting them to a reasonable level without turning everything into Minecraft takes forever. I will learn zBrush as well, but I want to at least get the basics down first. Last time I tried to learn Blender I bounced off it because I didn't have any kind of base level understanding of what I was doing. Just repositioning something was awful for me.