Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Eej posted:

*everyone thinks AS4 is possibly the worst season of Drag Race ever*

Do people really hate it that much? The ending was obviously underwhelming, but I'd rewatch this over 3 just because it was much more entertaining TV (the contestants last time had absolutely no chemistry together). The challenges sucked, but tbh the challenges usually suck on All Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Oh I absolutely put AS4 below AS3. It’s so boring. I was medium impressed by some of Manila’s looks and that’s about it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zelah posted:

Oh I absolutely put AS4 below AS3. It’s so boring. I was medium impressed by some of Manila’s looks and that’s about it.

I mean, you're crazy but that's fair lmao.

Though I loved AS3 despite its hiccups so I can't really begrudge you for enjoying it more than AS4. It was similarly a season mostly ruined by its ending. Dela leaving partway through kinda sucked, but it was a really great gaggerini and I'll always appreciate her for that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

AS4 had some wretched challenges that brought it down, frankly.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AS2 was so good, and even it was marred by the lovely rules they've set up (Tati and Alyssa both deserved far better, as did Ginger who went from EXTREMELY strong front runner on S7 to joke cannon fodder... so that... Phi Phi could miss the boat on her redemption arc?).

After S11 (god it's in like two weeks) can we please have a long long break. I really hope the rumors about Willam saying people are asking him for stuff to borrow for AS5 isn't true because I am AS'd out.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AS4 had Naomi's incredible loving lip syncs that were some of the best performances ever

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
AS4 had better lip syncs. AS3 had better memes. Rakatatiti ta ta, yeah I'm pussy bitch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whenever allstars is on i sincerely miss the mini challenges.

Eej posted:

They couldn't give the crown to Naomi because then every AS afterwards would be full of fuckery and you'll never see the best queens standing at the end unless they are DeLa. It would be a ratings disaster.

this is only a problem in a season when they roll out allstars as soon as humanly possible. if half the queens are clearly not ready to be there (cough cough Farrah, cough cough Jasmine), it's always going to feel like that. but if everyone is on close to the same level, if they're already truly all-stars, it shouldn't matter. i think the element of strategy is a good differentiator for the show, but the producers set it up to fail every time.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Do an AS of winners from seasons 2-11 if you have to do one imo.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Just have some fun with it again and not take it super seriously like it has been.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
AS4 felt like they barely bothered to have a theme for the runway half the time and the acting challenges were awful. I lived for all the drama and chaos this season but it just doesn't pay off if the actual challenges don't feel like any effort or creativity has been put into them

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

alf_pogs posted:

whenever allstars is on i sincerely miss the mini challenges.

this is only a problem in a season when they roll out allstars as soon as humanly possible. if half the queens are clearly not ready to be there (cough cough Farrah, cough cough Jasmine), it's always going to feel like that. but if everyone is on close to the same level, if they're already truly all-stars, it shouldn't matter. i think the element of strategy is a good differentiator for the show, but the producers set it up to fail every time.

I don't think you can say Jasmine 'wasn't ready'. She's been doing drag for 20 years, if she wasn't ready for AS4, then when? I think it's more she doesn't really excel at the RPDR format/reality tv thing.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Part of the problem is all the loving twists, keep the "winner eliminates the loser" thing if you have to (but replace deliberation with mini challenges, I beg you) but otherwise just have it be a regular season, except with fan favorites.

And also space it the gently caress out, an all stars every 4 years is honestly plenty. It gives enough time to make a relatively even spread of talent, with the surprise early season queen thrown in for good measure. Take the top 4 from 4 seasons, and throw in a 13th queen somewhere (a mid-out miss congeniality, maybe) and you're set on fun interactions and enough fanservice to really make a season interesting without much effort.

Making a season fun with the ability to handpick fan favorites and monstrous competitors isn't loving hard, and yet it feels like the thought process behind these seasons is "they've seen these girls already, we need to Spice It Up" despite the girls being the literal entire draw of the show

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 19, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really hope that AS4 coming so soon was some bizarre way to try and make up for AS3 being such a clusterfuck, and they'll go back to waiting a bit longer. The wait between AS2 and AS3 wasn't as long as AS1 and AS2, but it still felt like an event when they announced it. And then we get AS4 at the end of literally the same year lmao

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Re: Season 4 rewatch: A few thoughts
1) God I forgot how much I hated Santino
2) I kind of miss the scare chord when introducing Ru on the runway.
3) I'm only one episode 3 but...having also just rewatched season 2 I can see exactly the sort of like. Mental degradation Phi Phi goes through during the competition. She starts off just kind of happy to be there, gets into the competition, and then starts going for cutthroat mind games. I genuinely like Phi Phi, both as a reality TV villain, and as a drag queen, and it's kind of sad that everyone only sees her as "that one time she yelled at sharon needles and that one time she talked about alyssa"
4) ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the casual racism and transphobia ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

esperterra posted:

I really hope that AS4 coming so soon was some bizarre way to try and make up for AS3 being such a clusterfuck, and they'll go back to waiting a bit longer. The wait between AS2 and AS3 wasn't as long as AS1 and AS2, but it still felt like an event when they announced it. And then we get AS4 at the end of literally the same year lmao

Lemme show you my drag race folder real quick:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

curiousTerminal posted:

Lemme show you my drag race folder real quick:

weird, I coulda sworn AS2 was pre season 8. Maybe it was filmed before it and I mix that up lol

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

You're right, I have them organized by airdate, but they did sit on AS2 for a season, it was filmed after season 7 and before season 8. That's why Katya and Ginger talk about being thrown back in so fast, if they'd had that year it wouldn't have been so jarring.

Compeltely unrelated but someone was talking about getting more rep from non-california/nyc queens to represent other cities' cultures and now I want a queen from Baltimore who becomes the second queen to ever be disqualified because she mugs one of the stagehands at gunpoint.
Also i want Stormy Vain to be the Old Queen Second Out because she was really fun when I saw her but is absolutely not a drag race kinda queen lmao

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

curiousTerminal posted:

Re: Season 4 rewatch: A few thoughts
1) God I forgot how much I hated Santino
2) I kind of miss the scare chord when introducing Ru on the runway.
3) I'm only one episode 3 but...having also just rewatched season 2 I can see exactly the sort of like. Mental degradation Phi Phi goes through during the competition. She starts off just kind of happy to be there, gets into the competition, and then starts going for cutthroat mind games. I genuinely like Phi Phi, both as a reality TV villain, and as a drag queen, and it's kind of sad that everyone only sees her as "that one time she yelled at sharon needles and that one time she talked about alyssa"
4) ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the casual racism and transphobia ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

I also just rewatched season 4 and agree with all! Santino is the worst, his opinions are bad and he comes across super sleazy. I forgot how much fun Latrice was in season 4 and how annoying Willam was (his exit was the best twist in drag race ever though!). That political candidate task was the most cringe inducing task ever! I also miss old Sharon, I have seen Sharon live twice but I don't feel I have ever seen the Sharon who was on drag race, it's not just the plastic surgery her personality is also different.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Based purely on what I saw of season 4 I have absolutely no idea why Willam is a fan favorite. she was insufferable the entire time and her boat thing was stupid and won for ????? reasons. that said I know drag race is not the same thing as drag and I'm sure she's a great performer elsewhere

I'm hoping that season 11 will be the first season since...6? I guess? Where I cared enough to watch live past the first few episodes. But that would mean they'd have to go back to focusing on fun challenges and talent instead of ~drama~ which I don't have high hopes for at this point

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

youcallthatatwist posted:

Based purely on what I saw of season 4 I have absolutely no idea why Willam is a fan favorite. she was insufferable the entire time and her boat thing was stupid and won for ????? reasons. that said I know drag race is not the same thing as drag and I'm sure she's a great performer elsewhere

I'm hoping that season 11 will be the first season since...6? I guess? Where I cared enough to watch live past the first few episodes. But that would mean they'd have to go back to focusing on fun challenges and talent instead of ~drama~ which I don't have high hopes for at this point

How much someone likes Willam on Season 4 depends on how much they like the character Willam is playing and how much they realize Willam is in character practically every time she’s on camera.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

garthoneeye posted:

How much someone likes Willam on Season 4 depends on how much they like the character Willam is playing and how much they realize Willam is in character practically every time she’s on camera.

Exact. My first impression of Willam was "drat, she is so full of herself, blah" but then after more exposure to it I realized "oh, she's playing this up big time, she's really funny".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

garthoneeye posted:

her boat won because her boat is pretty, her boat is the best, and she won some tits

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Jolo posted:

Exact. My first impression of Willam was "drat, she is so full of herself, blah" but then after more exposure to it I realized "oh, she's playing this up big time, she's really funny".

Same - I think she was maybe the first queen to really be cognizant of which reality TV role she was going for and produce herself, when you realize she's winking at the camera it becomes a lot more likeable.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
She's great but she's not ideal for rpdr. Love her

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

youcallthatatwist posted:

Based purely on what I saw of season 4 I have absolutely no idea why Willam is a fan favorite.
Willam is a fabulous and necessary illustration/component of a thing I've been ruminating on for a while. I call it the Jean Baudrillard Theory of Drag Race.

I'm simplifying a LOT, but Baudrillard's key premise is that human experience is so mediated by interpretation, simulation and spin that there's no way to determine, or even posit, what's "real". (He is best-known for writing a pretty persuasive proof that the first Gulf War didn't actually happen.) We're living in a Matrix of imposed ideas, completely divorced from the quiddity of reality, and in recent years layers of simulation have been accreting ever more rapidly, like irradiated barnacles on the hull of a ship transporting toxic waste.

Enter Drag Race. Drag Race is about people whose job it is to misrepresent reality in a very specific and myth-dependent way. And it's a reality TV show, and reality TV claims to be an accurate representation of reality but isn't, at all, is in fact the opposite of an accurate representation of reality, and the most reliable way to get a good time out of Drag Race -- a fake show pretending to be real, about folks in the business of faking something that was, to a large extent, made up to begin with -- is to interrogate it as a simulation.

The gag of Willam, a person whose job it is to misrepresent reality, who went on the show portraying a fabricated character on top of that, and who has acted the gadfly ever since, is that he points out the simulacrum nature of Drag Race. He's the best bullshit artist who's ever been on this bullshit show, and by his very existence he empowers us to interrogate it as simulation. Love him or hate him, he's a trickster spirit out of myth, invaluable as an agent of chaos. He breaks the frame and invites us to another plane of understanding.

Also he's hilarious and can wear a designer frock like nobody.

spite house fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 19, 2019

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
I will forever love Willam for the line "emotions are for ugly people." I laughed several minutes a day for about a fortnight.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Willam as Loki is not something I ever expected to read.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

spite house posted:

Willam is a fabulous and necessary illustration/component of a thing I've been ruminating on for a while. I call it the Jean Baudrillard Theory of Drag Race.

I'm simplifying a LOT, but Baudrillard's key premise is that human experience is so mediated by interpretation, simulation and spin that there's no way to determine, or even posit, what's "real". (He is best-known for writing a pretty persuasive proof that the first Gulf War didn't actually happen.) We're living in a Matrix of imposed ideas, completely divorced from the quiddity of reality, and in recent years layers of simulation have been accreting ever more rapidly, like irradiated barnacles on the hull of a ship transporting toxic waste.

Enter Drag Race. Drag Race is about people whose job it is to misrepresent reality in a very specific and myth-dependent way. And it's a reality TV show, and reality TV claims to be an accurate representation of reality but isn't, at all, is in fact the opposite of an accurate representation of reality, and the most reliable way to get a good time out of Drag Race -- a fake show pretending to be real, about folks in the business of faking something that was, to a large extent, made up to begin with -- is to interrogate it as a simulation.

The gag of Willam, a person whose job it is to misrepresent reality, who went on the show portraying a fabricated character on top of that, and who has acted the gadfly ever since, is that he points out the simulacrum nature of Drag Race. He's the best bullshit artist who's ever been on this bullshit show, and by his very existence he empowers us to interrogate it as simulation. Love him or hate him, he's a trickster spirit out of myth, invaluable as an agent of chaos. He breaks the frame and invites us to another plane of understanding.

Also he's hilarious and can wear a designer frock like nobody.

The story of RPDR is the story of the commercialization and mainstreaming of drag. Willam and Sharon Needles were arguably the first two RPDR queens to really capitalize from their time on the show and kick their careers into overdrive.

Willam's superpower is being an extremely smart businesswoman (Alaska is another great example). They're all about branding, getting clicks and views on social media, and they're always pursuing a new hustle. If there's a way for a queen to make coin, you bet they're doing it. Gigs at clubs, girl groups, music videos and albums, webseries, merchandise, TV shows, podcasts. They do it all.

In this way, Willam really reflects the essence of RPDR overall, he's a very successful example of the commercialization and mainstreaming of drag. Sure he's very talented and well-rounded as an entertainer, but where he really stands out is on the business end of things.

Basically, I don't think Willam is Loki. He's Tony Stark.

edit: like, Willam dropped out of high school, got himself emancipated, and move to LA to start hustlin' (literally, he was a sex worker).

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 19, 2019

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Basically, I don't think Willam is Loki. He's Tony Stark.
Mostly agreed on all of the above, but I think he can totally be both. Loki within the collective-hallucination Drag Race mythic universe, Tony Stark in whatever passes for the real world these days. There's Willam the human living his life, and then there's the role he plays, and you'd better believe he knows exactly where that Venn diagram overlaps.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
but what pokemon is he?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A God drat Ghost posted:

but what pokemon is he?

Asking the real questions

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Lopunny, but like, in a slutty way.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

A God drat Ghost posted:

but what pokemon is he?

INTJ

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Tiffany "New York" Pollard is going to be a guest judge this season and welp they dragged me RIGHT back in, the bastards.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Aside from all the amazing one liners during season 4, my favorite Willam story is that he simply left the set during the taping of Snatch Game. The front row was behaving in all sorts of tomfoolery, so Willam got up and went to touch up his makeup for like 30 minutes. Production was begging him to come back to set, and he was like, "When I'm ready."

This might make it seem like he was super difficult to work with, but he actually fought hard against the producers over the way they treated the cast, standing up for his fellow queens. None of them had ever worked on a television set before, whereas he had, so he knew what was right, and what bullshit not to put up with.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Willam was not afraid to point out the production flaws and safety hazards, as well as general lovely treatment of the queens, like Sharon having to survive on barely any food due to so few options being vegetarian/vegan friendly. Or PA's taking their money and never actually going on supply runs for them.

Willam was also like the only queen who took little Kenya Michaels seriously and for that he is beautiful imho

Now none of this is to say Willam isn't a drama queen or a poo poo stirrer, but that he is one w/ a heart of gold and often plays up the cunty aspects of his give no fucks attitude. He's also a dope businessman and that is cool imo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just dropping by with a little shade courtesy of Monique:

Full article, complete with instructions from the bitch herself on how to quote her. She truly is a production. Best read in her voice.

You may resume with the Willam praise.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 20, 2019

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ah yes, the episode where Milan is docked for writing her name on her boat and making it "all about her" while Willam plasters his face all over his boat, calls it a design, and wins for it.

Also in the same episode where they show breastplates lying on the table, and then censor the fake nip slips while they're being worn :allears: I love weird, backward American titty censorship.
From earlier in the thread:

curiousTerminal posted:

That episode in season 4 where they used the clip of Jiggly saying "very Saint Tropez" like 5 different times to make it seem like she had no idea what she was doing
That's the boat episode. The editing is so loving wild it makes me wonder how poo poo actually went, more than usual.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

curiousTerminal posted:

Ah yes, the episode where Milan is docked for writing her name on her boat and making it "all about her" while Willam plasters his face all over his boat, calls it a design, and wins for it.

Also in the same episode where they show breastplates lying on the table, and then censor the fake nip slips while they're being worn :allears: I love weird, backward American titty censorship.

I think it was less making the boat all about her, but making the Fire Island poo poo about her. Milan's message was confused, whereas Willam pissed all over that runway and had a single coherent theme of pride in one's self.

Also he sucked up to Ru w/r/t being inspired by Ru's book so that helps lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ahaha, gently caress, I forgot about Asa O'Hara's mermaid look. Gotdamn. It's impossible for me to not read that in Monique's voice.