Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Hopefully I'm getting this in just under the wire. I didn't get around to everything I wanted to watch this year (Sabrina probably would have earned a spot based on the little I saw of it) but the things I did watch were (mostly) pretty great.

10. Altered Carbon - The show is absolutely stunning, and the action is pretty fun, too.

9. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - This show remains hilarious and charming, and I'm glad it gets to continue.

8. Riverdale - It's still absolutely trashy garbage on purpose and I can't help but love it.

7. Sneaky Pete - The second season didn't grab me nearly as much as the first season did, but it's still great nevertheless.

6. The Venture Brothers - I just got around to this show this year, and I binged through the entirety of it in a couple of weeks. I appreciate both their commitment to world-building and their willingness to wipe it all away as soon as it get stale.

5. Happy! - I watched this show in a week based solely on recommendations from this thread, and I absolutely loved it. It's dark humor tuned just right.

4. Santa Clarita Diet - Speaking of dark humor, the second season of this was great. Timothy Olyphant is a treasure.

3. American Vandal - It is absolutely absurd that this show ever worked at all, that they managed to pull it off twice, and that it got cancelled.

2. Better Call Saul - Vince Gilligan and Co. are still making television, and that's fantastic news for us all. The performances are fantastic, and while I know that some people have had problems with the Jimmy and Gus storylines not meshing I haven't felt a problem with those at all.

1. The Good Place - Speaking of shows that shouldn't have worked on paper, and speaking of show runners making incredible television, the Good Place is still running strong. This is one of the only shows I bother keeping up with week-to-week, and it is absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cutting it fine, but here's my top ten for the year:

(of course the guy who asked for the extension would be one of the last ones to post)

Almost Runs:
Patriot S2: Very good, didn't finish in time
The Deuce S2: Very good, didn't finish.
Atlanta: Very good, didn't finish.
Castle Rock: Wtf were they thinking with episode nine?
The Terror: Well produced, frequently well written. Some nice performances. However, I don’t think this managed to shake off the deeply homophobic qualities of the novel. If your fight between chaos and order is going to put the sexless gays on the order side, and explicitly link anal with evil, you can go jump into a polar bear.
YOU: Super good pilot and finale, shame about some of the middle.
Killing Eve: Really good for most of its run, but outside its central relationship I'm not convinced it's got legs.
Barry: Well drawn, but it ended in a deeply boring place. Excited for season 2.
The Magicians, Van Helsing, Wynonna Earp, Happy!, Killjoys, The Expanse: Syfy has the best pulp on television.
Steven Universe: Get your act together!

10. Fortitude, Season 3

By far the best thing about this show is watching people who enjoyed the show back in season one -- when it pretended the show would just be a murder mystery -- squirm at how utterly batshit Fortitude has become. I love it though. Shame the third and final season is so short, but I appreciate what I got. Taut, effective thriller that starts at a run and ends in a frenzy. Loved it.

9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season 3B and 4A

I’ve seen the criticism a million times before: couples always break up on tv, but we rarely ever see couples go the distance together. How much rarer still is seeing the dramatic journey of a single person making healthy decisions? That’s what compels me about the show in its current form, and gives me hope as a person who suffers from similar problems himself. The back half of the show’s third season is rough, but its fourth has been strong, moving, funny and sad. I’m not ready to say goodbye to these characters.

8. Corporate Season 1

A really funny, nasty show about feeble people working for a relentless organisation. Hates the way we talk about Black Mirror. Fun!

The cinnamontography!

7. Superstore, Season 3B and 4A

It's the flip side of Corporate, with the sweetness of its characters subverted by their inevitable futility of corporate reform. Amy's rant at her benignly unhelpful store manager ("Kill yourself! Just kill yourself!") is a series highlight, though it doesn't even begin to make up for the show's deeply grim Target episode.

6. Legends of Tomorrow, Seasons 3B and 4A

Like a lot of contemporary television, Legends is an emotionally driven soap opera. Unlike most television, it's a show that remembers that joy is an emotion.

5. Sharp Objects

It’s artsy Southern Gothic, supported by some excellent performances. It’s nowhere near as smart as its often suggested to be, but it’s a deeply emotional production, and one that manages to capture the subjective, floundering feelings of its protagonist in powerful and compelling fashion.

4. Counterpart, Seasons 1 and 2A

A great show about sad spies, who are forced to come to term with how poo poo their life choices are when they encounter their alternate universe copies. Strongest ensemble on television, a collection of Hey-It's-That-Character-Actor-s, like J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Nazanin Boniadi, James Cromwell, Betty Gabriel, etc. etc. etc. etc. down to the smallest of parts. Just wonderful to see them work every week. Surprisingly well plotted too, and criminally underwatched.

3. Channel Zero: Butcher's Block and Channel Zero: Dream Door

(this counts as one show, right? If not, just put down Channel Zero / or the Butcher's block season, which is the superior one IMO)

The Argento season (Butcher's Block) sent a hot spike right into the fear centre of my brain, and pinned me there. This year I’ve been dealing with similar issues to those presented on the show, so this got me good. How much can you give before it becomes emotional cannabilism? How much can you sacrifice before you’re eating yourself? Horrible stuff.

The dePalma season is more obviously propulsive and lurid, and I felt it could be frustratingly explicit. But I feel there’s a lot there lurking under the surface, and I'm keen to come back to it at some point.

2. Black Earth Rising

It's the newest Hugo Blick, concerning the Rwandan Genocide and the ongoing damage caused by international intervention in Africa. It's well written, incredibly shot, looks immaculate, and moves through plot at a mile a minute. The cast is killer, led by John Goodman and Michaela Coel. Fantastic.

1. Heathers (uncut)

I know this show was trashed for being a reactionary, conservative screed that punched down on minorities while lauding the unsung praises of white privilege, but that's loving dumb and nonsense and also wrong. Heathers is leftist as poo poo, but also has some tough things to say about liberal complacency. I reckon it's exactly the sort of thing people need to be hearing right now.

The finale was one of the most deliciously nasty hours of television I've seen in a long time, a slow motion car crash that'd been building for the entire season. A fun successor to the original, entirely because it was just as taboo challenging as the original was.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't watch too much this year so it was a bit harder to make a list. Here's my rushed, half-assed list:

10. Better Call Saul - I wish the Mike storyline connected more to the main plot, but it's great to see Jimmy finally become Saul after so many years.
9. Atlanta - I thought Season 1 was good but not great, but Season 2 really lives up to the ambition that the first season hinted at.
8. Pose - Not a huge Murphy fan but I think he's really in his element here and he manages to create a really emotionally effective underdog story.
7. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - Jojo's continues to be my favorite yearly comfort food anime.
6. American Vandal - Wasn't sure how they would make a second season work but they knocked it out of the park. gently caress Netflix for cancelling their best show.
5. The Good Place - The season isn't over but Good Place continues to be the best comedy on network TV with a really unpredictable and fast pace.
4. Pop Team Epic - Really inventive, experimental anti-comedy that reminds me of early Adult Swim in a good way.
3. Happy! - Pretty much Crank: The TV Series and about as crazy as that would entail.
2. The Shivering Truth - Complete surrealist insanity from the guy who did Xavier Renegade Angel that feels simultaneously stream-of-consciousness and heavily labored over. The Twilight Zone by way of Lynch, Jodorowsky, and Dali.
1. Joe Pera Talks With You - A quiet, low-key show about enjoying the small things in life and being kind to others. Uniquely wholesome in a way that feels rare and very necessary in 2018.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I’m getting this in at the last possible minute because I had to finish The Deuce and start season 2 of Atlanta to really justifiably make this list at all. Though in the process of creating this list, I realized that I haven’t really watched that much TV this year. Or at least, I haven’t finished much TV this year. I’ll start my list with the stuff I can really only count as having watched this year on a technicality, because of the 31-odd shows I can remember watching this year, there’s only like 12 I would really give any weight to on this list, lest I be forced to put poo poo like The Alienist on here. Also, I limited myself to one anime, because otherwise I’d have to admit I watched a show called Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai. Wait, poo poo. (That show might’ve made my top five if I’d put it on, not gonna lie)

The only honorable mention I care to talk about is Maniac, which I liked but only saw one episode of, so I didn’t really get a chance to see what it was all about.

10. Ugly Delicious
Just a really incredible food docuseries. It really gets into the context of why and where we eat certain foods. This should probably be higher but to be honest this was an absolute last-minute replacement for Daredevil, which I still haven't finished.

9. Altered Carbon
This show was really weird and disjointed and not as good as it should have been, but parts of it had so much potential, and AI Edgar Allen Poe was amazing.

8. American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
This was a bold experiment in structure that didn’t always quite pay off, especially to the extent that it ignored the title character. Still, a fascinating study of a pathological liar and murderer.

7. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The reduced budget hurt and really showed, but this show’s still great.

6. Aggretsuko
This show came out of nowhere and really surprised me. It’s cute and seems slight, but everyone has depth, even the worst people. No one is truly a caricature, even the most cartoonish assholes. It’s something that really helped me out.

5. American Vandal
I was worried about a follow-up to the first season, but they delivered an amazing sophomore season here. It’s shockingly poignant.

4. Better Call Saul
I forgot this initially and had to edit it in, because I'm stupid. Jimmy McGill is the world's most tragic moron, and I hate him and love him.

3. Atlanta
This should absolutely be higher. Alas, I’ve only seen three episodes of this season, and not even “Teddy Perkins,” which I’ve heard so much about. This show is still so out-there but real and lived-in that I can’t believe it.

2. The Deuce
The last two episodes killed me. I have no idea what comes next with the final jump forward for season 3, but I can’t wait.

1. The Good Place
What the gently caress is this show? How does it keep doing what it’s doing? I want to write a whole long diatribe about everything this show does and how great it all is, but I have five minutes left until the deadline and also it’s 3 AM and I’m very loving tired, goddamn. The Good Place is the best sitcom in years. Period.

Arist fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

I’m getting this in at the last possible minute

Pretty much literally!

All right folks, voting is now closed! I'll get the results collated and I'll tentatively bring you the countdown tomorrow at 8pm GMT/3pm EST although I'm sick so that might get pushed back. Thanks for participating!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we get a best in show for music in a tv show next year?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel bad that none of you subscribe to Showtime

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

tomorrow at 8pm GMT/3pm EST

I have everything written up and ready to go so I can now confirm this time is locked in :toot:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Honorable mention to “You,” a new show by Sera Gamble (Supernatural, The Magicians) that’s a soapy thriller with some comedic elements. Creepy stalker played by Dan from Gossip Girl, very bingeable. I’m a bit late or I’d make it the new #10 on my list and bump Modern Family

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

Honorable mention to “You,” a new show by Sera Gamble (Supernatural, The Magicians) that’s a soapy thriller with some comedic elements. Creepy stalker played by Dan from Gossip Girl, very bingeable. I’m a bit late or I’d make it the new #10 on my list and bump Modern Family

It doesn't really mean extra work for me so fine. Grudgingly.

e: You edited out the request but I've already changed the writeup so whatever, I'm not changing it back.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Have i missed it?

Edit: I think I missed it, but here is my top 50 anyway. Won't bother with commentary as it appears it won't be counted.

50 Riverdale
49 American Crime Story
48 Unreal
47 Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
46 Ballers
45 Dear White People
44 Dietland
43 Orange is the New Black
42 Ozark
41 Animal Kingdom
40 Silicon Valley
39 Black Mirror
38 Snowfall
37 Hard Knocks
36 The Tick
35 No Activity
34 Harlots
33 AP Bio
32 Love
31 Yellowstone
30 Drunk History
29 Santa Clarita Diet
28 Vikings
27 Vice
26 Jim Jefferies Show
25 End of The loving World
24 Counterpart
23 The Americans
22 Baskets
21 Deutschland 83
20 Preacher
19 Crazy Ex Girlfriend
18 Impractical Jokers
17 Who is America?
16 Legion
15 Homecoming
14 American Vandal
13 High Maintenance
12 Survivor
11 Killing Eve
10 The Good Place
9 The Deuce
8 Big Mouth
7 The Terror
6 Succession
5 Better Call Saul
4 Sharp Objects
3 Patriot
2 Barry
1 Atlanta

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looten Plunder posted:

Have i missed it?

Fraid so. Sorry, buddy :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno that’s a pretty great list I think you should count it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
No. Following regulations and keeping deadlines is more important than the quality of the content. I'm not trying to be ironic here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I dunno that’s a pretty great list I think you should count it

I've written everything up already and I'm not doing any more work. Deadlines exist for a reason :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man how had I not heard of Black Earth Rising until this thread

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Man how had I not heard of Black Earth Rising until this thread

I banged it's drum pretty hard, i even self awarded the chick a bafta or a daytime emmy. But it ended up in the premium tv pile i didn't finish

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Ugh. I thought it was 3pm today...

Now I have to wait to read what you nerds think (again, in aggregate)...
:ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh, yeah I thought it was 8pm today and just loaded up the thread all excited :sweatdrop:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

It doesn't really mean extra work for me so fine. Grudgingly.

e: You edited out the request but I've already changed the writeup so whatever, I'm not changing it back.
Oh cool, thanks. :) i edited it out after reading you had everything done because I didn’t want to make things difficult but that’s cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope Rarity is ok :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope Rarity is ok :ohdear:

I'M INCREASING THE TENSION

---

Welcome, friends! Welcome! Settle in and prepare yourselves for our annual look back over The Year That Was as we countdown TVIV's favourite shows of 2018! In all honesty, it's been a bit of a weird one for TV this last year. Network television feels less relevant than ever before with a wide array of alternative options available both on cable and online. We've seen shows get cancelled only to pull out eleventh hour saves like Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Expanse. Perennial goon favourites like Mr. Robot, Stranger Things and Fargo have all been on sabbatical not to mention the missing juggernaut that is Game of Thrones. Yes, in 2018 the culture of water cooler television has well and truly died, replaced with the deep hole of the binge watch.

All this flux and uncertainty may have been responsible for the low vote turnout this year with just 36 goons submitting lists. Thanks to you all for your dedication! Nevertheless between you all you named 151 different shows across 56 networks, 6 countries and 4 continents! We saw 27 different shows named in the top spot which ran an entire gamut from everything you'd expect all the way through to Japanese reality shows!

As ever all ties will be settled with the countback rule and due to the lower number of votes and the fact I've already done one of these already over in the Games forum this year's countdown will be covering just the top 30. But just because we're going light don't think there'll be any less tension because as always there's a whole host of questions to answer:

• Last year The Good Place overcame some strong competition to become the first ever comedy to win our poll. It's been another year of fantastic guest stars, shocking twists and lightning fast plots but with all these turns the show may have the lost its way. Is there still enough love for it to retain its hold on the title?
  • Having to settle for second place in 2018 was Legion, which came in strong with a ton of hype. However this year the conversation has been much more muted but the show remains strong with fine acting and its trademark visuals. Will it be able to keep strong or even push on to further greatness?
  • And then there's TV IV's regular bridesmaid, Better Call Saul. Despite never placing outside the top 5 it's never been able to put together a challenge strong enough to take the top prize. With the novelty factor having long faded but the writing and acting still top notch, will this be the year it loses its way or might it finally catch the gold that has eluded it for so long?
  • Another regular sight in our poll for the last few years has been The Americans with some solid finishes to its name. This year the show delivered its final season and went out on a high. Will it be able to climb to the top of the mountain on its final attempt?
  • Also wrapping up this year was 12 Monkeys, Syfy's long-standing time travel series. But with the last season getting burned off over the course of three days in the summer it could well have long faded from memory. Was it strong enough to put together a challenge for the top position?
  • As 2018 draws to a close we also wave farewell to another show that's been well-favoured in TV IV, although the departure of American Vandal was far from voluntary. The show was cancelled by executives despite delivering a season full of comedy, intrigue and heart. Will you give the show the love that Netflix so clearly lacked and give it the last laugh with victory?
  • One of the big stories of last year was the emergency of Amazon as a viable television network with critically favoured debuts like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Patriot. Both returned for sophomore seasons this year that looked to be every bit as strong. How will they fare in this year's poll?
  • With so many of 2017's success stories out of the equation this year there's big spaces at the top and after an unremarkable first season Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events stepped up its game hard. In 2018 the show broke out with a stronger narrative focus and some superb casting choices. Will it be able to take advantage of the empty space and push towards the top?
  • Another Netflix show that made serious gains in its second season was GLOW. The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling returned with a season of fraught emotions, big laughs and one amazing show-within-a-show. What is it enough to make a serious challenge for the upper ranks of your poll?
  • Donald Glover is loving ridiculous. In 2018 not only did he produce one of the most relevant hip-hop songs of all time in 'This Is America' he also took the time to make a second season of Atlanta, a show that defies description so much that I've read all the hype about it and still have no idea how to sell it to you but it's really loving good, trust. But with so many plates to keep spinning was Dong Lover able to keep the show's quality high?
  • The biggest surprise of the year wasn't that Youtube started producing real television shows on their Youtube Red label. It wasn't even that they made a show following up the Karate Kid two decades later. It was that Cobra Kai ended up being really good! Will it be able to shake off those assumptions to perform well in its debut poll?
  • And lastly, standing above all of this is the elephant in the room. Westworld. One of the most dominant winners in TV IV history was on hiatus last year but now it's returned and it wants its title back. Will it be able to replicate the success of 2016 in its second season or has the world of television merely passed it by?

The only way you're going to find out is by sticking with this thread as we get into your top 30! But before we do, let's do a once over of the shows that didn't quite make it.

=134. (1 point)

Arrested Development (Netflix)
Atypical (Netflix)
Colony (USA)
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC)
Fortitude (Sky Atlantic)
Gaikotsu Shotinen Honda-san (Tokyo MX)
Love (Netflix)
Maniac (Netflix)
Miraculous Ladybug (TF1)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Swedish Dicks (Pop)
The Blacklist (NBC)
The Last Ship (TNT)
Ugly Delicious (Netflix)
Ultimate Beastmaster (Netflix)
World War Two (Youtube)
Wynonna Earp (Space)
You (Lifetime)

=124. (2 points)

American Horror Story: Apocalypse (FX)
Celebrity Big Brother (CBS)
Impulse (Youtube Red)
Iron Fist (Netflix)
Making A Murderer (Netflix)
No Activity (CBS All Access)
Seal Team (CBS)
SNL 44 (NBC)
The 100 (CW)
The Profit (CNBC)

=117. (3 points)

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace (FX)
Corporate (Comedy Central)
FLCL Alternative (Adult Swim)
Last Week Tonight (HBO)
The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Wild Wild Country (Netflix)

=103. (4 points)

Drag Race Thailand (LINE)
First We Feast Presents Hot Ones (Youtube)
Insecure (HBO)
Jessica Jones (Netflix)
Sneaky Pete (Amazon)
Strike Back (Cinemax)
Superstore (NBC)
The Block (Nine)
The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell (Netflix)
The Great British Bake Off (Channel 4)
The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)
The Tick (Amazon)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Waco (Paramount)

=97. (5 points)

Aggretsuko (TBS)
Attack on Titan (Mainichi)
Everything Sucks! (Netflix)
Neebs Gaming (Youtube)
Parts Unknown (CNN)
People Just Do Nothing (BBC2)

=84. (6 points)

Animals (HBO)
AP Bio (NBC)
Archer (FXX)
Ash vs Evil Dead (Starz)
Castle Rock (Hulu)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
Critical Role (Youtube)
Luke Cage (Netflix)
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman (Netflix)
Schitt's Creek (CBC)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Trailer Park Boys (Netflix)
Vikings (History)

=70. (7 points)

205 Live (WWE Network)
8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown (Channel 4)
American Dad (FOX)
Billions (Showtime)
Castlevania (Netflix)
DuckTales (Disney)
Dynasties (BBC1)
Masterchef Australia (Network Ten)
My Brilliant Friend (HBO)
Pop Team Epic (Tokyo MX)
Runaways (Hulu)
Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix)
Supernatural (CW)
Who Is America? (Showtime)

=65. (8 points)

Channel Zero (Syfy)
Condor (Audience)
Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell (ABC)
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix)
Z Nation (Syfy)

=57. (9 points)

Black Earth Rising (BBC2)
High Maintenance (HBO)
Jayne (Twitch)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vento Aureo (Tokyo MX)
Queer Eye (Netflix)
Sense8 (Netflix)
The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
The Magicians (Syfy)

=51. (10 points)

Deutschland 86 (Sundance)
Heathers (Paramount)
Joe Pera Talks With You (Adult Swim)
Killjoys (Space)
Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)
Terrance House (Fuji)

=46. (11 points)

Cloak and Dagger (Freeform)
Pose (FX)
Sharp Objects (HBO)
Star vs The Forces of Evil (Disney)
The Chris Gethard Show (TruTV)

45. (12 points)

The Shivering Truth (Adult Swim)

44. (13 points)

Titans (Netflix)

=39. (14 points)

Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix)
Nailed It! (Netflix)
Preacher (AMC)
The Orville (ABC)

38. (15 points)

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

=35. (16 points)

Homecoming (Amazon)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX)
The Deuce (HBO)

=33. (17 points)

Big Mouth (Netflix)
Taskmaster (Dave)

=31. (19 points)

Counterpart (Starz)
Survivor (CBS)

Before we continue we just need to give out a couple of awards. Firstly even though it couldn't crack the top 30 it's still a great effort from Preacher which has won the Highest Climber award with a gain of 70 places! Conversely, it's ignominy and bitter tears for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend with claims the Biggest Faller award with a drop of 72!

With the preliminaries out of the way all that's left is for us to get started with the countdown. I'll be back to begin that very soon!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sharp Objects, Big Mouth, The Deuce, and Homecoming all came way lower than I expected.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loving forgot I watched Cloak and Dagger, poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All right, friends! The moment is here and the time is now! We're going to find out what you voted your #1 show of 2018! But before we get there we're going to have run through twenty nine other shows first so without further adieu let's get this party train started! Here's your #30...

bagrada posted:

Great cast, consistently hilarious.

fancy stats posted:

This is just an incredibly reliable funny show.

Lurdiak posted:

I love that the show doesn't have a laugh track, death to all laugh tracks.

:siren: Click on the images for a surprise! :siren:

30. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (FOX)
UP 10
20 points, listed 4 times

:toot: BEST ON FOX
:toot:

Welp, we all know one award B99's not winning next year! Thanks, NBC!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching B99 and while I still wouldn’t put it top-tier with Community or Parks or whatever it’s still reliably funny and has a great cast, plus it’s just super heartwarming and deals with social issues well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BSam posted:

Literally no bad episodes.

Jerusalem posted:

Jodie Whittaker was absolutely brilliant in the title role.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Doctor Who has always been a lady.

29. DOCTOR WHO (BBC1)
UP 6
21 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

No matter where you stand on the Doctor, it's undeniable that Jodie Whitaker has been a huge hit as the latest iteration of the character and that's shown with a boost in this year's placings.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not really shocked about Altered Carbon (which I didn't even really want to put on my list) or Ugly Delicious but you philistines need to watch The Deuce and Aggretsuko

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doc Who was cool this year. Like, not especially exciting on an episode-to-episode basis, but I liked the character work and the turn away from annoying smug Moffat nonsense

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

and Aggretsuko

:frogout:

---

Andrew_1985 posted:

Queer TV subverting traditional primetime TV.

Shneak posted:

Is there an award for ‘show that did the absolute most in 2018?’

Propaganda Machine posted:

IT HAS HAD THREE SEASONS THIS YEAR AND THEY'RE ALL FABULOUS.

28. RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE (LOGO)
UP 21
21 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST REALITY SHOW

After years of also-ran status Drag Race has a breakthrough year to place in our main countdown for the very first time! Now if only Ru could drop his lovely opinions about trans people everything would be grand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a fun cute thing Rarity!!!! Be glad I didn't put JoJo on there again (or, as mentioned earlier, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw my first ever episode of this show about a week ago and it was about the most reality TV thing to ever reality TV

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

It's a fun cute thing Rarity!!!! Be glad I didn't put JoJo on there again (or, as mentioned earlier, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai)

Oh I kid, I kid. Fun fact: there was more anime in the final list this year than ever before! All hail Glorious Nippon! :japan:

Friends, are you starting to feel the buzz? That unique thrill of the reveal as we see each new show in your list. Well, it would be rude of me to keep that from you so let's delve in to your #27...

Jerusalem posted:

Still plenty there to enjoy.

Corte posted:

The visuals, performances and music are what really sets it apart.

fancy stats posted:

Kiksuya is the only reason this is on my list.

27. WESTWORLD (HBO)
RE-ENTRY
22 points, listed 4 times

Whoa, would you look at that! The much hyped return can only make it to #27 in your chart. That's got to be a disappointment! But then if you listen there are many who'd say it was lucky to even make it this far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There were some seriously fantastic individual episodes this season and it was impeccably-made as always but the overall arcs were so drat yikes!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RIP CXG thats tragic

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bou posted:

Just so relaxing and nice without being a shallow mess. 

Lurdiak posted:

I recommend it to children of all ages.

Andrew_1985 posted:

If I had kids I'd make them watch this.

26. HILDA (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
22 points, listed 4 times

I had never even heard of this show before this thread

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dang what is that

I guess i should watch it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fancy stats posted:

An unforgivingly cold and dreadful atmosphere.

CeeJee posted:

You just want to reach through the screen and knock some sense into them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you have strong willpower, you can write off the supernatural elements as the demented delusions of a lead-poisoned crew! :woop:

25. THE TERROR (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
24 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

It looks like Stranger Things has inspired a revival for Stephen King horror and we're all the better for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hilda was great! It’s very low-stakes and cute and likeable. Definitely worth a watch.

Terror is the one show from 2018 I’m most sad to have not gotten around to yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

achillesforever6 posted:

Amazing chemistry.

Oasx posted:

Great stories and compelling characters.

bou posted:

Everyone knows now what this is about.

:siren: Warning: Link is Huge Spoilers :siren:

24. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC)
DOWN 14
25 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON ABC

Yes, I'm shocked that this show still exists as well.