Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just started watching Cobra Kai after deadline and finished it today, def would have voted for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There can be no slowing down now, friends! We must keep moving forward as we take on step closer to the end of the line. It's time to find out what you chose to be your #7...

nate fisher posted:

It was a lot darker than it had any right to.

ShakeZula posted:

Willing to go shockingly dark.

DivisionPost posted:

One of the sharpest satires of the Hollywood mindset to come along in years.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Runs the gamut from laugh-out-loud funny to cringe-funny to white-knuckled-terrifying action to sheer melodrama.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Takes what could be a goofy, high-concept plot and finds something raw and human.

fancy stats posted:

Kind of wanting to hang out with the Chechen mob was not a takeaway I expected from a TV show on 2018.

7. BARRY (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
50 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST NEW SHOW :toot:

With Game of Thrones on hold and Westworld flunking out hard Barry has come in from nowhere to fly the flag for HBO this year. Just don't hang out with the Chechen mob, it's not big and it's not clever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeahhh!! Barry was so excellent, and Hader is completely devastating.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
With just six shows left it is all very much still to play for. The Good Place is going to have to work hard to hold on to its crown with some massive competition left in the running. I'm talking about competition like Better Call Saul. Like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Like Atlanta. Unfortunately, not everyone is going to make it and one show is going to be pushed out of the top 5. Here's your #6...

BSam posted:

So good and from out of nowhere

DivisionPost posted:

Basically "more and better,"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

A charming, funny, and well-made show.

Effortlessly charming and beautifully constructed and shot.

Escobarbarian posted:

The charm this season brings is still completely off the chain.

X-O posted:

Deserves all the awards it has won and probably will still win.

6. THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL (AMAZON)
UP 12
56 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON AMAZON
:toot:

While neither of Amazon's big shows could crack the top 5 it's still been a big year for the network and especially for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Finishing at #6 is nothing to be sniffed at but we could see it climb even higher in next year's poll.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so we stand here at the end of all things. It's come down to this, friends. Your top five favourite shows of 2018 and every one a banger. Will The Good Place have the strength to hold off the competition or will it fall at one of the final hurdles? Well, I'll tell you this much, it isn't your #5...

ShakeZula posted:

Very compelling.

Tenzarin posted:

Still going strong.

Lost Season posted:

The performances are fantastic.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm just hear to watch good rear end acting.

Heartbreaking writing, brilliant editing and music selections for montages, and some of the best acting on television.

Arist posted:

I forgot this initially and had to edit it in, because I'm stupid.

Jerusalem posted:

A slow-motion carwreck

Escobarbarian posted:

The best season yet of maybe the best prequel ever.

5. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
NON-MOVER
61 points, listed 10 times

:toot: BEST ON AMC :toot:

Oh no! It's heartbreak from Better Call Saul as the perennial bridesmaid holds steady at #5 even though it was only just two points away from making it to third place. But that's just the way the cookie crumbles when the top 5 is this tight! Still, it's another great showing for the most consistent show in your top 10.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel based on last season I would’ve possibly #1d Maisel if I’d had chance to see s2 this year. I now kinda wanna know where Bunheads landed, because 6 is a pretty solid showing for an ASP show I think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saul still fantastic as ever. That final episode still sticks with me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, that linked scene is still loving amazing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't fall back, friends! There can be no stopping now when we are this close to the end. Just four shows remain in contention for the title of TV IV's Show of 2018. Will The Good Place take the title for the second year in a row or will it be dethroned? When you've got the likes of American Vandal and Atlanta still in there you know the competition is going to be tough. Here's the show that was just a step off the pace at #4...

Arist posted:

Shockingly poignant.

Lost Season posted:

It is absolutely absurd that this show ever worked at all.

DivisionPost posted:

Maybe it deserved to decline before we lost it.

fancy stats posted:

I'm bummed this got cancelled.

Regy Rusty posted:

Cancelling this show is a loving crime.

Rarity posted:

gently caress YOU NETFLIX

gently caress YOU NETFLIX

HorseRenoir posted:

gently caress Netflix

4. AMERICAN VANDAL (NETFLIX)
UP 3
62 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ONLINE SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST ON NETFLIX :toot:
:toot: BEST ENDING SHOW

gently caress YOU NETFLIX gently caress YOU NETFLIX gently caress YOU NETFLIX gently caress YOU NETFLIX gently caress YOU NETFLIX.

It's really loving good, yo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress you Netflix

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I didn't like season 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't like season 2.

gently caress you too then this is your fault!!!!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
gently caress you, Netflix. (I know I didn't list it but I like weird shows)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, friends! There are just three shows left and it is all to play for. It was such a big year for The Good Place but will it be able to hold off the challenge from Atlanta? Or what about... Hmm, I think I've forgot about something...

Rocksicles posted:

I doubt this show will ever be out of my top 3.

ShakeZula posted:

Great performances and a great story.

bou posted:

This season it delivered the mystery, the fights and the politics again in spades.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Fantastic characters, amazing world building, and beautiful effects.

CeeJee posted:

This would have been a great final season.

bowmore posted:

This show is THE GOODS!!

Regy Rusty posted:

We’re really getting in to the crazy alien poo poo now.

nate fisher posted:

Thank you Amazon for saving the show.

3. THE EXPANSE (SYFY)
UP 16
63 points, listed 9 times

:confuoot: BEST DRAMA :confuoot:
:confuoot: BEST SHOW NEVER LISTED AT #1 :confuoot:

...What the gently caress?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I did not see that one coming

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

gently caress you too then this is your fault!!!!

How so? I watched the whole season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the suspense omg

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

atlanta or tgp, what's it gonna be

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's finally time, friends! After all the celebrations and commiserations we have reached the moment of truth. Atlanta. The Good Place. Two highly deserves shows but only one can take the title of TV IV's Show of 2018. Will it be all the love for Donald Glover or will The Good Place reclaim that special place in your hearts. We're going to find out... now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Truly unique.

You never know what you're going to get.

Corte posted:

I honestly can't think of a single flaw.

fancy stats posted:

The show does whatever it wants and nails every single goddamn thing.

Arist posted:

This show is still so out-there but real and lived-in that I can’t believe it.

HorseRenoir posted:

Really lives up to the ambition that the first season hinted at.

Every adjective you can use to slap on an advertisement for a TV show, like "Original," "Daring," "Engrossing," etc., unironically apply here in full.

Jerusalem posted:

He can do anything. He can do everything. And he does.

2. ALTANTA (FX)
RE-ENTRY
68 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 3 times

:toot: BEST CABLE SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST ON FX :toot:

Well, there you have it. Atlanta made a huge effort but it wasn't quite enough to take the top spot. And we all know what that leaves for #1 but before we get there let's take moment to honour this bizarre, indescribable and utterly remarkable show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta was amazing!!!!! Just incredibly funny while also being profound and utterly bizarre with the best cinematography on TV. GOAT show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Atlanta is the best, Atlanta number one. I guess it's oddly fitting that a clerical error has seen The Good Place get the number one spot over Twin Peaks and now Atlanta.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thought as much, good on tgp for being the first-ever two-time winner

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
deffo should have counted Looten Plunder’s list

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that I only made it halfway through the first episode of Atlanta, it just didn’t seem that interesting. But clearly I am missing out on something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

thought as much, good on tgp for being the first-ever two-time winner

Nah, Breaking Bad did the double in 2013/14

All right, friends, it's almost time to cheer for TVIV's #1 Show of 2018 but before we get there let's do some cleaning up. First here's the countdown for the year's Top Networks!

10. ABC (47 points)
9. Adult Swim (58 points)
8. The CW (78 points)
7. AMC (104 points)
x5=. Amazon (125 points)
x5=. HBO (125 points)
4. Syfy (151 points)
x3. NBC (155 points)
2. FX (189 points)
1. Netflix (437 points)

It's an absolute walk for Netflix as it dominates this year's poll through its sheer wealth of content. Did you realise that 36 different shows from Netflix were named this year? That's more shows than most other networks even produce! Without a flagship show HBO drops in the rankings to be tied for fifth but Amazon continues to slowly build as it breaks into the top 5 for the first time so who knows how this poll will look next year?

Of course we must also give out our special goon awards, the first of which is for the Sharpest Clairvoyant which goes to the goon who named the most shows from the top 10. This year the prize goes to... ShakeZula, who predicted a whopping 7 out of 10!

Conversely we must also recognise TVIV's Biggest Hipster, the goon who ignored the most of this year's top hits. BSam has had a grip on this title for the last two years but he blew it all by voting for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and in his place the new winner is... Lurdiak!

But it's time to focus on the things that really matter. Here it is, friends. Your #1 Show of 2018.

fancy stats posted:

This show is a goddamn treasure.

Corte posted:

It finished strong.

Lost Season posted:

Still running strong.

X-O posted:

The best network sitcom in I don't know how many years.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s still one of the best sitcoms on the air.

nate fisher posted:

I still love the show.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Still a fun romp.

Regy Rusty posted:

It’s agonizing waiting for this to start up again.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think this is the only active sitcom on network TV that I'm not even a little bit bored of and wanting to move on from.

Arist posted:

What the gently caress is this show?

HorseRenoir posted:

A really unpredictable and fast pace.

Fast Luck posted:

Always moving very fast and surprising you.

Oasx posted:

It is incredibly clever and inventive

Tiggum posted:

Manages to keep reinventing itself.

Jerusalem posted:

Wherever they go instead is probably going to be utterly enthralling as well.

Packs more plot development into a single episode than others do in entire seasons.

bagrada posted:

I don't know how they can keep it up.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Get on board or get the fork outta the way.

Propaganda Machine posted:

BORTLES!

Rarity posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, as evidence I submit to you this gif of a broken down Chidi making chilli:

1. THE GOOD PLACE (NBC)
NON-MOVER
142 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 4 times

:toot: BEST NETWORK SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST COMEDY :toot:
:toot: BEST GENRE SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST ON NBC :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 SPOTS

Yes, as you all must have guessed The Good Place has taken the title of TVIV's Favourite Show for the second year in the row and in doing so it has demolished the competition. Let me just read some stats to you. More #1 finishes than any other show. Over twice as many points as the show in second place. Listed by over 55% of the voters. The Good Place has absolutely crushed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta can be a very different show from episode to episode, and the first one is kinda more generic ‘let’s sell this pilot’ and it improves a lot after that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, let's all celebrate "Altanta" getting all the way to #2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that poo poo was a LANDSLIDE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

Nah, Breaking Bad did the double in 2013/14

That doesn't make any sense, BrBa finished in 2013

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm not super crazy about Atlanta but that Teddy episode was pretty funny... that Teddy dude was one big time loving freak

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

drat that poo poo was a LANDSLIDE

Yeah, Atlanta was Earn and The Good Place was Tracy, holy gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For those who are curious, if Looten Plunder had got his list in in time it wouldn't have changed too much. Better Call Saul would jump to #3, Barry to #6 and Patriot to #8 while The Terror would have broken through to the top 20.

Arist posted:

That doesn't make any sense, BrBa finished in 2013

Whoops, I mean 2012/13 in that case. I know for sure it got it twice though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow. Looks like a lot of goons picked up the good place after last years win.

I'm not really familiar with a lot of those top ten shows, so I might give this "Atlanta" show a try at some point down the line.

Thanks for the effort Rarity it's been a lot of fun!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks as always Rarity, that's a hell of a lot of work AND you did the video game one too!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:bravo:

Thanks for the :effort:!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much Rarity, these are always so enjoyable!!! Especially for pulling double duty with this and the one in Games as well. Do you dare venture into CD next year?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just want to sign off with a big thank you to everyone who took part this year. Even though it was a quiet thread I still had a lot of fun with it and I hope you did too. I look forward to seeing you all back here next year for the wonderful delights that 2019 will bring :)

Escobarbarian posted:

Thank you so much Rarity, these are always so enjoyable!!! Especially for pulling double duty with this and the one in Games as well. Do you dare venture into CD next year?

gently caress no

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck posted:

I'm not super crazy about Atlanta but that Teddy episode was pretty funny... that Teddy dude was one big time loving freak
looking over the episode list for Atlanta this season, there were pretty many i liked... but i snubbed it... idk... guess it doesn't matter because it was nowhere near #1. i think I punished it too harshly for some of the episodes like fubu and drake nye, they reminded me of some bad master of none episodes and tricked me into thinking it was a little more full of poo poo than it is.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Thanks Rarity. good work once again, always fun seeing what's popular w/ the goon hivemind! I watched American Vandal this year thanks to last year's list, and probably some other stuff too.

Hey everyone if survivor is good this year let's get it in the countdown... 20-year-old show, still going strong, come on that's cool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jesus what a landslide