Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

2018 was a weird year for so many reasons, not least of which is I finally decided I couldn't ignore politics anymore after a lifetime of apathy, and spent a lot of time with the news of all flavors. I discovered podcasts and came to terms with the idea that even if I live to 110 there's literally not enough time in the world to consume all the various hobby & entertainment content I have on my backlog, let alone anything new that comes out. At least while maintaining any semblance of a real life and family. And new stuff is just exploding across the board for all interests so it won't get any easier. It doesn't help that I planned on finishing up some shows I'd started this past long weekend but instead I started a handful more.

Honorable mention: Terrace House is fascinating but so far it seems like it is just a Japanese Real World. She Ra is fun and good but not for me, I gave it a try because I remembered liking Nimona, and He Man was the bomb in the 80s. I liked Preacher season 3 a lot better than 2 but the tonal whiplash doesn't quite click as well as it does in other, slightly more grounded, shows like Patriot and Fargo. There's also a long list of shows I know would dominate my list if I got around to them, like Twelve Monkeys is extremely my poo poo but I didn't keep up with it on sy fy and only rarely sub hulu. Finally, The Orville and Star Trek Discovery. I counted season 1 in 2017, I'll count season 2 in 2019 if they make the list.

Anyway, these are the top 10 shows I enjoyed the most in 2018. Not saying that they are the best quality (by far in some cases), just that I really enjoyed watching them. I can watch and enjoy almost literally anything, but genre shows usually get a boost from me since they combine my interests and have expanded stuff in other media that I can get into it if it really piques my attention.

10. Survivor - still watching with my Grandfather. The latest season was pretty good with some players who were fun to watch and root for, and we like seeing the craft work on the competitions and puzzles. Some variety on the locations would be nicer but I get why they can't do Survivor: Antarctica or Survivor: Detroit. After umpteen seasons it may still only make the list because without it, once the season is done, Grandpa flips between Storage Wars and Duck Dynasty instead. Though we did discover the Smithsonian Channel for some more interesting documentaries recently. Regardless, we never miss a season, and this show is only behind American Horror Story and office favorite Big Bang Theory for water cooler talk at work.

9. Riverdale. I didn't want to list this but its just so watchable, over the top and fun. I always hate the Cheryl character archtype in shows but I don't think I've ever been as surprised and pumped by a hell yeah moment as when she ran away but immediately came back with her bow and arrows.

8. Titans. A last minute addition as I decided to get the DCU trial and marathon it rather than continuing any shows already on my DVR. I never watched or read Teen Titans. I think this take on it feels like a cross between the Arrowverse shows and the netflix marvel shows. I'm way behind on Gotham, I thought it would be closer to that show, but Hawk & Dove showing up in episode 2 and the Doom Patrol in episode 4 really sold me on this one. Titans also reminds me of my favorite DC tv show, Constantine. I know, I need to watch Legends of Tomorrow. I thought I'd finish this during the trial then cancel but I found myself watching because I wanted to see what happened with the characters next rather than just to beat the subscription.

7. Killing Eve. Like Patriot, a show I never would have noticed if not for all the praise in the chat thread here. It immediately caught my focus and attention. I really enjoyed watching these characters and not knowing what would happen next. Even if I did accidentally have something big spoiled for me by a tumblr post.

6. Cloak & Dagger. This one barely wins out over the massive pile of superhero shows I watched this year. I didn't get far enough in Daredevil or JJ season 2 for them to qualify, didn't resub hulu for Runaways 2 yet, and Agents of Shield didn't do it for me this year. But I did follow this one week to week. I really liked the vibe and characters. The main two did a great job, though its down a few slots on the list because they shoved the main actress's take on Come Sail Away into the finale and it didn't fit at all in my opinion. It was fun seeing a N'awlins setting.

5. Critical Role. I was torn on including this since I mainly listen to the season 1 podcast on the road but I'm also keeping up with season 2 between the stream and youtube so I think it counts. Nerdy rear end voice actors playing D&D. I thought I'd discovered a new genre and tried watching other people's streams but nope CR just does it that well. Mainly thanks to Matt Mercer who not only voices all the non player characters but comes up with good stories and cool combat set piece models while being open to every crazy idea his players have. Dude needs to come up with a different terrifying roar for his sphinxes/dragons/manticores/goliaths though.

4. Patriot. Not as good as season 1. As someone who loves a good tv intro or outro that catches the mood of the show and instantly sets the tone, train song was perfect for it. The beastie boys song was good but didn't feel right to me. That said the characters were still great, especially Red Forman and the main dude and his buddies. Downsides besides the beastie boys were the underused law enforcement members, with several new ones introduced which spread everyone a bit too thin.

3. Legion. I'm only 3/4 through season 2 and I hear it gets worse but with what I saw it's still in my top 10 for the year. Don't know why I haven't gotten back to it, maybe I'm waiting for the blu-ray so I can rewatch from the start at this point, or maybe I don't want to dislike it if it does go bad. Either way Noah Hawley takes chances and is great and I'm looking forward to watching seasons 2+ of Fargo when I can get around to it. Casting Aubrey Plaza was inspired. The show is quite a trip and is up there with shows like Mr Robot and Lost where they grab my full and complete attention when watching, which is hard these distracting days. The Bolero Sequence from season 1 episode 7 still has me in awe each time I rewatch it. Its on youtube but I'm not linking it due to spoilers and it being just loving weird, in or out of context.

2. Brooklyn 99. Great cast, consistently hilarious. Thank you NBC for saving it. This cold open pops up on the front page of reddit often and I always watch it again each time I see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffyKY3Dj5ZE

1. The Good Place. I don't know how they can keep it up. I don't like the main cast as much as I like the ones from B99 and Parks and Rec but the story beats are on another level. I wonder if they are moving fast towards a determined end or if they have plans that will keep things crazy for several more seasons or if they are making it up as they go or what. I'll definitely keep watching to see if they stall out or can keep the balls in the air. Incredible show. Janet is the best. And basically from here out I will give anything Michael Schur puts on tv a try based on his name alone.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It's fun watching the clips and judging what the shows are like just from that. A few I've completed, a few I gave up on, one I loved and lost track of over a decade ago (wtf venture bros) and some I should get around to someday.

Great work Rarity, "thanks 'til you're better paid" as my Survivor watching buddy likes to say.