Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honorable mentions to Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which both barely miss the list. 12 Monkeys also fell off the list due to a late contender jumping all the way gently caress up to 4.

10) Miraculous Ladybug/Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
I was debating placing this one on the list over CXG, Sabrina and 12 Monkeys, because while I really really liked the season 2 finale, the show is biting off way more than it can chew, and I am concerned about its future. That said, the second half of the two-part finale of Season 2 was basically a 20 minute fight scene that switched things up enough so it never got boring, and showed what Papillon/Hawkmoth can do if he actually tries. Still worth a watch, but it may not keep a spot on my top 10 next year depending on how the show goes.

9) Ducktales 2017
You know that thing you loved as a child from Disney Afternoon? That wasn't either Mickey Mouse or Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers? Well it's in this show and it's wonderful. I knew I'd love the show from the last line of the first episode (Mom?) and the show has not slowed down. The show is very clearly by fans of the Duck canon, and it's been a very fun ride. The first episode is up on youtube and I highly recommend anyone with the remotest amount of nostalgia for Ducktales to give it a shout.

8) Marvel's Cloak & Dagger
Olivia Holt is absolutely carrying this show, and it's a credit to her performance as Tandy that I'm listing it over what I'm listing it over. That said, I'm extremely excited to see where the next season goes, as Emma Lahana's turn as Mayhem will give her a chance to shine. It's a cheesy Freeform Drama, but sometimes a show doesn't need to be more than that to be listed on here. At least not for me.

7) Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
This show is only suitable for the most wicked among us, and those who enjoy watching the suffering of young children. The cruelty of this show is such that even the villain Count Olaf begs you to look away in the theme song. Humanity as a whole will breathe a collective sigh of relief when the show ends on January 1st, which, sadly, makes it eligible for the poll one last time next year.

6) DC's Legends of Tomorrow
From by far the bleakest show on the list to the funnniest. Legends of Tomorrow is a joy to watch every week. The show is self-aware enough to mock the overly dramatic self-importance of the other shows. The penultimate episode of the year, for example, had Ray Palmer, played by previous Superman Brandon Routh, grow a mustache, jokes abound.

5) She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
It's gay, so I am legally obligated to list it. Even if I wasn't, I'd list it here, because I am quite enjoying the show so far and excited for the next season. Every single character is the best but also Scorpia is the best.

4) Marvel's Runaways
It's gay, so I am legally obligated to list it. Season 2 fixed all of my problems with Season 1, and honestly I can say that I genuinely enjoyed Season 2. The parents are still the standouts, in particular Brittany Ishibashi as Tina Minoru. The scene where she threatens to disown Nico, and Nico calls her bluff is a highlight of the season. That said, the kids also have grown into their role as well, and there are some pretty good scenes between them as well. Season 1 left me ambivalent for season 2, but now I really really want Season 3.

3) Star vs the Forces of Institutionalized Racism Evil
While only a half season aired this year, it was still a very good half season. The show has stopped all pretenses, and is now directly calling out the mewmans for their discrimination of the monsters. The show painted an interesting dichotomy between Eclipsa/Globgor/Meteora and the Magic High Commission. The focus on Star's growth as a person is very good. Every now and then I go back to Episode 1 and think "this show is going to be a fun, smart show about racism."

2) Cobra Kai
I bought a month of Youtube Red for this show (I had already used my free month to download some youtube videos to listen to back when I didn't have unlimited data). This show was a super fun nostalgia trip, that even someone with no nostalgia for the original (I first saw Karate Kid when the remake came out and I decided to watch the original instead of the remake)can get lost in. I liked the way that Johnny, while still a total prick, shows his side of the story. I am interested in a second season, and the day before the show came out I would never have guessed that.

1)
Star was a mewman who was sent to Earth.
Learned of beauty, and life's worth.

Star expelled Toffee from the wand herself
Did that even end up mattering when Ludo did the splattering?

Star did the right thing and gave up her throne
With the friends she made she was not alone.

Now all of that has earned it number three
And I think that we can all agree

There is a show I am forgetting
I'd rather talk about

A WEDDING

Steven Universe

I could put this as #1 on the list entirely on the back of Reunited, the final episode of the most recent Stevenbomb, "Heart of the Crystal Gems," and second to last episode that has aired as of the time of this list's writing. After some nasty words were exchanged between the two halves of Garnet, Ruby and Sapphire, the gems decide to celebrate their titular reunion by having a full-on wedding between the two of them. However, much like Pro Wrestling, no wedding goes without unwanted crashers. In this case, it's the main antagonists to this point, the Diamond Authority, two giant gems who are upset at Rose Quartz for killing ("shattering") their sister, Pink Diamond.

The episode is rife with shoutouts to the earlier episodes, and genuinely I'd consider it up there with Sozin's Comet if it was actually the finale of the show, but it isn't, so it's just a similarly good episode. There's even a part like in "Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang" where the fandom is upset at their main character for following his gentle nature and not killing the main antagonist(s). The high points (Lapis's return, The Cluster emerging... on Steven's side and taking down both Diamond Arm ships).

Now I'd give it #1 based entirely on that episode, but we also had more than just that one episode. The year started out with a fun romp in space with newly pink Lars, and has also introduced the next main antagonist, the leader of the Diamond Authority who has... something wrong about her. The next episodes air this month and I am incredibly excited for them.

Anyway that was my list. I've been super excited to write up SU since Reunited aired, you may be able to tell.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah so a late contender showed up and forced me to change my list with the sheer overwhelming gayness of it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That was me alerting Rarity that I was editing my list. I was talking about Runaways, which had an exceedingly good and gay first half of season 2. It didn't beat out SU but it beat out She-Ra

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Susie is great and I'm so sad that this fell off my top 10.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was genuinely expecting the puppets but good clips for the latest two.

Cobra Kai was super good and I'm glad it exists.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Props on picking that video for ASOUE. It is one of the less tragic videos you could have picked for this show.

I hope that, despite the horror of that show, Louis Hynes has a long career ahead of him as the high spot of that cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
gently caress you, Netflix. (I know I didn't list it but I like weird shows)