Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it, I finished my list. Of course now with the extended deadline, perhaps I'll be able to watch a couple more shows and change my list. But for now:

Points of Order
The Orville – I don’t think this should be counted as a 2018 show. A single episode that hasn’t even aired yet wouldn’t be enough to judge it on even if I watched it in time. So I’m considering the Orville season 2 to be fully a 2019 show, but I don’t make the rules.
Travelers – Man Travelers why you always got to do this to me. I managed to squeeze in watching season 2 in time last year, but I can’t get to season 3 till January. So a show that definitely deserves a spot on my list is gonna be left out. But now that Rarity has extended the date till January 6, maybe I’ll be able to get to it.
Voltron – Similar with Travelers, though it did air some other episodes in 2018 I could judge it on. Oh well sorry gang.

Dishonorable Mentions
Steven Universe – I can’t be bothered to check what 5 or whatever episodes cartoon network deigned to air this year.
Westworld – 2 good episodes does not a good season make.

Honorable Mentions
Agents of Shield – First year it’s fallen off my list. Season 5 was good and this was the best half of it but it wasn’t my favorite and other shows were just better. I’m sure the full season 6 in 2019 will make the list again.
American Crime Story – Good and interesting about a case I’d never heard of, but not on the same level as the first year.
Reverie – I’m the only person in existence sad this was cancelled
Bob’s Burgers – I love this show but it all blends together and its years and seasons don’t feel distinct.
Bojack Horseman – Sorry Bojack barely missed the cut once again
Killing Eve – Very cool new show, looking forward to where it goes from here.
Ducktales – Really great remake of a beloved show

And now for the list itself:

10. She-Ra – Biggest surprise of the year for me, it seemed to come out of nowhere and I watched it on a whim. It won me over very quickly. Really great characters and a compelling story. Probably needs a bit more work on demonstrating the stakes – neither of the warring societies have done a good job of feeling real besides the central characters. Otherwise though it’s excellent and I look forward to where it goes from here. Entrapta’s the best.

9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – A bit low on my list this year only because I wasn’t in love with the second half of season 3. The 8 month time skip in particular felt really awkward, as did the final episode. They did course correct very nicely at the start of season 4 and it’s been great. Though new Greg in the latest episode has me very wary and I hope they make him work in the show’s final episodes next year.

8. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – As good as last season was this one was even better. The show is hilarious and the cast is amazing, Midge, her parents, and Susie in particular. I loved the episodes in the resort in the Catskills because I had never heard of anything like this and it seemed as bizarre and insane to me as it did to Susie. Next season with Midge’s possible big upcoming tour is very exciting.

7. Castlevania – I skipped this last year because 3 episodes was too short, and now I got to watch the whole thing at once. It surpassed my expectations. Episode 7’s fight scenes were amazing and saving Bloody Tears for the perfect moment was an inspired choice.

6. Better Call Saul – Saul Goodman has arisen at last! Show took its time getting there but it was worth it. The show handled the fallout of Chuck’s death extremely well and getting to see Jimmy become more and more shady was very enjoyable. I liked the Mike storyline a lot too, Werner was a cool addition.

5. 12 Monkeys – What an ending. The show was on fire from beginning to end this season. I have rarely seen a show have such a satisfying conclusion. I’ll miss it terribly, in particular Jennifer Goines one of the all time best TV characters.

4. The Expanse – Love how this show improves with each season. We’re really getting in to the crazy alien poo poo now. Thank god it wasn’t cancelled I wouldn’t have been able to take not getting to watch what happens next.

3. American Vandal – Cancelling this show is a loving crime. The fact that they managed to pull this off twice is incredible and I so wanted to see what they could do for a third season. Peter and Sam are such good protagonists. Maybe it wasn’t quite as good as season 1, but it was still hilarious and the mystery was intriguing.

2. The Good Place – This show is amazing. Season 2 ended with a mad and desperate race through the Bad Place and a successful plea to the Judge to give the humans a second chance. But then that premise lasts only a few episodes into season 3 and now we’re heading full in to tear down the system mode. It’s agonizing waiting for this to start up again as it looks like we are about to finally get some answers as to how the afterlife became so messed up.

1. A Series of Unfortunate Events – I’m so happy with this show. It’s by far the best book to film adaptation I’ve ever seen. Season 2 made the choice to give extended storylines to several characters, making their ultimate deaths all the more tragic. The Quagmires were great, Esme Squalor was delightfully terrible, the new guardians were all exceptionally useless, and Mr. Poe was more loathsomely incompetent than ever. The rise of the Self Sustaining Hot Air Mobile Home was one of my favorite television moments all year. It’s been grim and more grimness is coming next month. I can’t wait…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not getting to Travelers in time after all so my list will stand. Sorry time bros :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RIP CXG thats tragic

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dang what is that

I guess i should watch it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress you Netflix

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't like season 2.

gently caress you too then this is your fault!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jesus what a landslide

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Orville only aired 1 episode in 2018!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Still better than ST:D! :haw:

Well, no argument there