Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welcome, welcome, my friends! Gather round one and all! Gather as we come together to take part in one of TV IV's grandest traditions, an arbitrary ranking of different series of visual media on that most nebulous of qualities: being 'lit'. After years of dedicated(?) service Toxx has stepped down from the OP but never fear cause your girl Rarity is in the joint. You guys know the drill by now so I'm gonna skip the big spiel and get right down to business.

:siren: VOTING RULES :siren:

1. 1. Every show you pick must have had a first time airing in its country of origin in full or in part during 2018. This could be a network show, a cable show, an online show, a TV movie, it could even be a Youtube thing if you're down with what the kids are calling 'it'.
2. 2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favourites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the shows you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something. Any lists posted without reasons for their picks will not be counted in the final vote.
3. 3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. 4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere. Please note that this rule will be waived if anyone picks Roseanne.
5. 5. If you want to talk about spoilers in your post then by all means go for it but put a spoiler warning at the start of your list.
6. 6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot me a PM or post in the thread to let me know you have or I might not count it.
7. 7. Deadline for submissions is 1st January 00:00AM PST. I'll then do a live countdown of the final results in the New Year!

There you have it, it's as simple as that!

Archives

TVIV Poll 2012: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3523734
TVIV Poll 2013: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3591552
TVIV Poll 2014: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3686396
TVIV Poll 2015: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3754622
TVIV Poll 2016: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3800289
TVIV Poll 2017: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812

Top 25 TVIV Shows of 2017

Just to remind you guys, here's the top 25 shows that aired last year to also air this year. Hope you didn't forget any of them!

25. Dear White People
24. iZombie
23. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
22. Star vs. The Forces of Evil
21. Steven Universe
20. 12 Monkeys
19. Doctor Who
18. The Handmaid's Tale
17. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
16. GLOW
15. Legends of Tomorrow
14. Travelers
13. The Expanse
12. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
11. The Deuce
10. The Orville
9. Bojack Horseman
8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
7. Riverdale
6. Agents of SHIELD
5. Patriot
4. American Vandal
3. Better Call Saul
2. Legion
1. The Good Place

For Your Consideration

If you're undecided on your final list then here's some new shows to air this year that might tickle your fancy (after mutual consent has been agreed, naturally)

• Altered Carbon
  • AP Bio
  • Barry
  • The Bisexual
  • Black Lightning
  • The Bodyguard
  • Castle Rock
  • The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • Cloak and Dagger
  • Cobra Kai
  • Counterpart
  • Cunk on Britain
  • Dietland
  • Disenchantment
  • The End of the loving World
  • Everything Sucks
  • God Friended Me
  • The Good Cop
  • Hard Sun
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • Heathers
  • Homecoming
  • Insatiable
  • Jack Ryan
  • The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale
  • Killing Eve
  • Krypton
  • The Little Drummer Girl
  • Maniac
  • McMafia
  • Mr Inbetween
  • My Hero Academia
  • Narcos: Mexico
  • New Amsterdam
  • Nightflyers
  • No Activity
  • Pose
  • The Purge
  • Sharp Objects
  • Succession
  • The Terror
  • Titans
  • Trust
  • Vanity Fair
  • Waco
  • The War of the Worlds
  • Watership Down
  • Who Is America
  • Yellowstone

That's your lot, friends! Get listing!

PS. As a sidenote, I now run of these for video games as well so if that's your thing then pop on over and laugh at the Games forum's inability to rank things starting from #10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does the Orvile count? The last episode of season 1 was in December and the first episode of S2 is on December 30th. I probably wont be editing my list on new years eve, based on one episode.

I figured it had aired more of S2 this year but technically that does still count :shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

1. The Americans
not sure this was mentioned in the OP??

I'm guessing it didn't air a season last year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oasx posted:

5. Game of Thrones
We spent five seasons building up to what happened in this and the next season and people complained about it, completely missing the point of the buildup. Game of Thrones is as good as it has ever been.

Sorry buddy, GoT didn't air in 2018. You'll have to change your list if you want it counted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Given that Black Mirror is being released tomorrow (and assuming it "counts" as television, and not as a movie or whatever) would it be possible to extent this deadline a week, much like a similar release date for Black Mirror pushed forward the deadline last year?

Fair point. I'm going to move the deadline on 6th Jan 00:00 PST. Any later and I'll be too busy with work to get everything written up for the countdown.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10. World War Two (Youtube) - This is a weekly documentary covering the events of WWII in real time. It's really fascinating to dive into it at such depth and Indy Neidell is great at presenting the stories without them getting boring. It's currently only three months in and the episodes are short so it's not too difficult to catch up. Also a huge shout out to The Great War which is the same but for WWI which I actually enjoy more but I'm five years behind so I can't speak for their 2018 episodes.

9. Taskmaster (Dave) - Season 7 of Taskmaster managed to capture lightning in a bottle by finding the perfect cast of comedians to take on Greg Davies's insane tasks. Everyone brought something good to the table whether it was James Acaster's ever increasing anger, Jessica Knappett's foghorn impression, Rhod Gilbert being completely insane, Kerry Godliman boshing through everything and Phil Wang's wang.

8. Survivor (CBS) - The granddaddy of reality shows has always been up and down each season based on casting but David vs Goliath was one of the strongest seasons they've ever had with the perfect combination of likeable characters and bold, successful plays. THEY DID A VOTE SPLIT ON A MINORITY VOTE :supaburn:

7. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) - I was very resistant to watching this because I have nostalgic feelings for the original and any cat that doesn't talk is #NotMySalem but I'm glad I relented. It's a very dark and twisted show but I love it for being fearlessly woke. Also, Chance Perdomo is like a perfect version of a young Chiwetel Ejiofor.

6. GLOW (Netflix) - This year the show stepped up a gear by expanding the focus on its supporting cast which led to most of its best storylines like Bash's issues with his sexuality and Welfare Queen's relationship with her son. Plus they did an actual episode of GLOW and it was amazing.

5. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) - I enjoyed the first season of this but felt it lacked the narrative thrust to really stand out but season 2 was a huge improvement by quickly breaking from the guardian/disguise of the week formula to introduce intrigue upon intrigue. Nathan Fillion was also a very welcome addition as the suave and confident Jacques Snicket.

4. The Good Place (NBC) - Ladies and gentlemen, as evidence I submit to you this gif of a broken down Chidi making chilli:

3. Sense8 (Netflix) - I love my dead gay show. The finale event was everything I wanted it to be. Everyone showed up, everyone got a happy ending and at the end they all had an orgy. When shows have unashamedly feelgood endings it often comes off as shmaltzy but Sense8 has always been a celebration of human connection so it felt entirely earned.

2. Queer Eye (Netflix) - I binged through both two seasons on a comedown and I cried my eyes out far too often. The new Fab Five are my heroes and I want to spend the day just hanging out shooting the poo poo with them. I love how that the makeover focuses on the internal as much as the external and that they make time for important conversations like Karamo's fear of being pulled over by cops, Tan's ignorance of transgenderism and Bobby's issues with the Church. This is the most positive expression of masculinity I've ever seen represented on television and for tnat I adore it.

1. American Vandal (Netflix) - gently caress YOU NETFLIX. Ahem. After an astounding freshman season that looked like it couldn't be followed American Vandal followed it up by going bigger and bolder. The story of the Turdburgler is magnetic from the first grisly reconstruction of the Brownout. From there it introduces its cast of characters slowly before ramping up for a second half full of shocks and reveals. The mystery is as compelling as in the first year and they still have more to say about the experiences of teenagers and the way they interact with the modern world, all of which leads up to an ending full of pathos. And then they get cancelled by Netflix execs because they're all a bunch of doodooheads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

How in the hell did I not know about this?! I watched The Great War for years and I swear they haven't mentioned it.

It's been posted in Couch Chat multiple times as well :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

One episode of The Deuce to go and I can write my list. Also holy poo poo The Deuce is good.

Oh my God I haven't heard of either of these but they sound incredible.

It's really cool. For the Great War as well as the weekly episodes they do biographies of important figures, Q&As, featurettes on weapons and vehicles and various other specials as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

I actually thought The Detectorist's final season came out in 2018, I only just noticed it actually aired in 2017 (originally in Britain at least) sorry - I assume I need to replace it with something else?

Fraid so.

In happier news, there's actually still three eps of the Good Place S3 left!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

I’m getting this in at the last possible minute

Pretty much literally!

All right folks, voting is now closed! I'll get the results collated and I'll tentatively bring you the countdown tomorrow at 8pm GMT/3pm EST although I'm sick so that might get pushed back. Thanks for participating!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

tomorrow at 8pm GMT/3pm EST

I have everything written up and ready to go so I can now confirm this time is locked in :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

Honorable mention to “You,” a new show by Sera Gamble (Supernatural, The Magicians) that’s a soapy thriller with some comedic elements. Creepy stalker played by Dan from Gossip Girl, very bingeable. I’m a bit late or I’d make it the new #10 on my list and bump Modern Family

It doesn't really mean extra work for me so fine. Grudgingly.

e: You edited out the request but I've already changed the writeup so whatever, I'm not changing it back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looten Plunder posted:

Have i missed it?

Fraid so. Sorry, buddy :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I dunno that’s a pretty great list I think you should count it

I've written everything up already and I'm not doing any more work. Deadlines exist for a reason :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope Rarity is ok :ohdear:

I'M INCREASING THE TENSION

---

Welcome, friends! Welcome! Settle in and prepare yourselves for our annual look back over The Year That Was as we countdown TVIV's favourite shows of 2018! In all honesty, it's been a bit of a weird one for TV this last year. Network television feels less relevant than ever before with a wide array of alternative options available both on cable and online. We've seen shows get cancelled only to pull out eleventh hour saves like Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Expanse. Perennial goon favourites like Mr. Robot, Stranger Things and Fargo have all been on sabbatical not to mention the missing juggernaut that is Game of Thrones. Yes, in 2018 the culture of water cooler television has well and truly died, replaced with the deep hole of the binge watch.

All this flux and uncertainty may have been responsible for the low vote turnout this year with just 36 goons submitting lists. Thanks to you all for your dedication! Nevertheless between you all you named 151 different shows across 56 networks, 6 countries and 4 continents! We saw 27 different shows named in the top spot which ran an entire gamut from everything you'd expect all the way through to Japanese reality shows!

As ever all ties will be settled with the countback rule and due to the lower number of votes and the fact I've already done one of these already over in the Games forum this year's countdown will be covering just the top 30. But just because we're going light don't think there'll be any less tension because as always there's a whole host of questions to answer:

• Last year The Good Place overcame some strong competition to become the first ever comedy to win our poll. It's been another year of fantastic guest stars, shocking twists and lightning fast plots but with all these turns the show may have the lost its way. Is there still enough love for it to retain its hold on the title?
  • Having to settle for second place in 2018 was Legion, which came in strong with a ton of hype. However this year the conversation has been much more muted but the show remains strong with fine acting and its trademark visuals. Will it be able to keep strong or even push on to further greatness?
  • And then there's TV IV's regular bridesmaid, Better Call Saul. Despite never placing outside the top 5 it's never been able to put together a challenge strong enough to take the top prize. With the novelty factor having long faded but the writing and acting still top notch, will this be the year it loses its way or might it finally catch the gold that has eluded it for so long?
  • Another regular sight in our poll for the last few years has been The Americans with some solid finishes to its name. This year the show delivered its final season and went out on a high. Will it be able to climb to the top of the mountain on its final attempt?
  • Also wrapping up this year was 12 Monkeys, Syfy's long-standing time travel series. But with the last season getting burned off over the course of three days in the summer it could well have long faded from memory. Was it strong enough to put together a challenge for the top position?
  • As 2018 draws to a close we also wave farewell to another show that's been well-favoured in TV IV, although the departure of American Vandal was far from voluntary. The show was cancelled by executives despite delivering a season full of comedy, intrigue and heart. Will you give the show the love that Netflix so clearly lacked and give it the last laugh with victory?
  • One of the big stories of last year was the emergency of Amazon as a viable television network with critically favoured debuts like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Patriot. Both returned for sophomore seasons this year that looked to be every bit as strong. How will they fare in this year's poll?
  • With so many of 2017's success stories out of the equation this year there's big spaces at the top and after an unremarkable first season Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events stepped up its game hard. In 2018 the show broke out with a stronger narrative focus and some superb casting choices. Will it be able to take advantage of the empty space and push towards the top?
  • Another Netflix show that made serious gains in its second season was GLOW. The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling returned with a season of fraught emotions, big laughs and one amazing show-within-a-show. What is it enough to make a serious challenge for the upper ranks of your poll?
  • Donald Glover is loving ridiculous. In 2018 not only did he produce one of the most relevant hip-hop songs of all time in 'This Is America' he also took the time to make a second season of Atlanta, a show that defies description so much that I've read all the hype about it and still have no idea how to sell it to you but it's really loving good, trust. But with so many plates to keep spinning was Dong Lover able to keep the show's quality high?
  • The biggest surprise of the year wasn't that Youtube started producing real television shows on their Youtube Red label. It wasn't even that they made a show following up the Karate Kid two decades later. It was that Cobra Kai ended up being really good! Will it be able to shake off those assumptions to perform well in its debut poll?
  • And lastly, standing above all of this is the elephant in the room. Westworld. One of the most dominant winners in TV IV history was on hiatus last year but now it's returned and it wants its title back. Will it be able to replicate the success of 2016 in its second season or has the world of television merely passed it by?

The only way you're going to find out is by sticking with this thread as we get into your top 30! But before we do, let's do a once over of the shows that didn't quite make it.

=134. (1 point)

Arrested Development (Netflix)
Atypical (Netflix)
Colony (USA)
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC)
Fortitude (Sky Atlantic)
Gaikotsu Shotinen Honda-san (Tokyo MX)
Love (Netflix)
Maniac (Netflix)
Miraculous Ladybug (TF1)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Swedish Dicks (Pop)
The Blacklist (NBC)
The Last Ship (TNT)
Ugly Delicious (Netflix)
Ultimate Beastmaster (Netflix)
World War Two (Youtube)
Wynonna Earp (Space)
You (Lifetime)

=124. (2 points)

American Horror Story: Apocalypse (FX)
Celebrity Big Brother (CBS)
Impulse (Youtube Red)
Iron Fist (Netflix)
Making A Murderer (Netflix)
No Activity (CBS All Access)
Seal Team (CBS)
SNL 44 (NBC)
The 100 (CW)
The Profit (CNBC)

=117. (3 points)

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace (FX)
Corporate (Comedy Central)
FLCL Alternative (Adult Swim)
Last Week Tonight (HBO)
The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
Wild Wild Country (Netflix)

=103. (4 points)

Drag Race Thailand (LINE)
First We Feast Presents Hot Ones (Youtube)
Insecure (HBO)
Jessica Jones (Netflix)
Sneaky Pete (Amazon)
Strike Back (Cinemax)
Superstore (NBC)
The Block (Nine)
The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell (Netflix)
The Great British Bake Off (Channel 4)
The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)
The Tick (Amazon)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Waco (Paramount)

=97. (5 points)

Aggretsuko (TBS)
Attack on Titan (Mainichi)
Everything Sucks! (Netflix)
Neebs Gaming (Youtube)
Parts Unknown (CNN)
People Just Do Nothing (BBC2)

=84. (6 points)

Animals (HBO)
AP Bio (NBC)
Archer (FXX)
Ash vs Evil Dead (Starz)
Castle Rock (Hulu)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
Critical Role (Youtube)
Luke Cage (Netflix)
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman (Netflix)
Schitt's Creek (CBC)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Trailer Park Boys (Netflix)
Vikings (History)

=70. (7 points)

205 Live (WWE Network)
8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown (Channel 4)
American Dad (FOX)
Billions (Showtime)
Castlevania (Netflix)
DuckTales (Disney)
Dynasties (BBC1)
Masterchef Australia (Network Ten)
My Brilliant Friend (HBO)
Pop Team Epic (Tokyo MX)
Runaways (Hulu)
Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix)
Supernatural (CW)
Who Is America? (Showtime)

=65. (8 points)

Channel Zero (Syfy)
Condor (Audience)
Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell (ABC)
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix)
Z Nation (Syfy)

=57. (9 points)

Black Earth Rising (BBC2)
High Maintenance (HBO)
Jayne (Twitch)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vento Aureo (Tokyo MX)
Queer Eye (Netflix)
Sense8 (Netflix)
The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
The Magicians (Syfy)

=51. (10 points)

Deutschland 86 (Sundance)
Heathers (Paramount)
Joe Pera Talks With You (Adult Swim)
Killjoys (Space)
Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)
Terrance House (Fuji)

=46. (11 points)

Cloak and Dagger (Freeform)
Pose (FX)
Sharp Objects (HBO)
Star vs The Forces of Evil (Disney)
The Chris Gethard Show (TruTV)

45. (12 points)

The Shivering Truth (Adult Swim)

44. (13 points)

Titans (Netflix)

=39. (14 points)

Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix)
Nailed It! (Netflix)
Preacher (AMC)
The Orville (ABC)

38. (15 points)

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

=35. (16 points)

Homecoming (Amazon)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX)
The Deuce (HBO)

=33. (17 points)

Big Mouth (Netflix)
Taskmaster (Dave)

=31. (19 points)

Counterpart (Starz)
Survivor (CBS)

Before we continue we just need to give out a couple of awards. Firstly even though it couldn't crack the top 30 it's still a great effort from Preacher which has won the Highest Climber award with a gain of 70 places! Conversely, it's ignominy and bitter tears for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend with claims the Biggest Faller award with a drop of 72!

With the preliminaries out of the way all that's left is for us to get started with the countdown. I'll be back to begin that very soon!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All right, friends! The moment is here and the time is now! We're going to find out what you voted your #1 show of 2018! But before we get there we're going to have run through twenty nine other shows first so without further adieu let's get this party train started! Here's your #30...

bagrada posted:

Great cast, consistently hilarious.

fancy stats posted:

This is just an incredibly reliable funny show.

Lurdiak posted:

I love that the show doesn't have a laugh track, death to all laugh tracks.

:siren: Click on the images for a surprise! :siren:

30. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (FOX)
UP 10
20 points, listed 4 times

:toot: BEST ON FOX
:toot:

Welp, we all know one award B99's not winning next year! Thanks, NBC!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BSam posted:

Literally no bad episodes.

Jerusalem posted:

Jodie Whittaker was absolutely brilliant in the title role.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Doctor Who has always been a lady.

29. DOCTOR WHO (BBC1)
UP 6
21 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

No matter where you stand on the Doctor, it's undeniable that Jodie Whitaker has been a huge hit as the latest iteration of the character and that's shown with a boost in this year's placings.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

and Aggretsuko

:frogout:

---

Andrew_1985 posted:

Queer TV subverting traditional primetime TV.

Shneak posted:

Is there an award for ‘show that did the absolute most in 2018?’

Propaganda Machine posted:

IT HAS HAD THREE SEASONS THIS YEAR AND THEY'RE ALL FABULOUS.

28. RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE (LOGO)
UP 21
21 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST REALITY SHOW

After years of also-ran status Drag Race has a breakthrough year to place in our main countdown for the very first time! Now if only Ru could drop his lovely opinions about trans people everything would be grand.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

It's a fun cute thing Rarity!!!! Be glad I didn't put JoJo on there again (or, as mentioned earlier, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai)

Oh I kid, I kid. Fun fact: there was more anime in the final list this year than ever before! All hail Glorious Nippon! :japan:

Friends, are you starting to feel the buzz? That unique thrill of the reveal as we see each new show in your list. Well, it would be rude of me to keep that from you so let's delve in to your #27...

Jerusalem posted:

Still plenty there to enjoy.

Corte posted:

The visuals, performances and music are what really sets it apart.

fancy stats posted:

Kiksuya is the only reason this is on my list.

27. WESTWORLD (HBO)
RE-ENTRY
22 points, listed 4 times

Whoa, would you look at that! The much hyped return can only make it to #27 in your chart. That's got to be a disappointment! But then if you listen there are many who'd say it was lucky to even make it this far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bou posted:

Just so relaxing and nice without being a shallow mess. 

Lurdiak posted:

I recommend it to children of all ages.

Andrew_1985 posted:

If I had kids I'd make them watch this.

26. HILDA (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
22 points, listed 4 times

I had never even heard of this show before this thread

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fancy stats posted:

An unforgivingly cold and dreadful atmosphere.

CeeJee posted:

You just want to reach through the screen and knock some sense into them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you have strong willpower, you can write off the supernatural elements as the demented delusions of a lead-poisoned crew! :woop:

25. THE TERROR (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
24 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

It looks like Stranger Things has inspired a revival for Stephen King horror and we're all the better for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

achillesforever6 posted:

Amazing chemistry.

Oasx posted:

Great stories and compelling characters.

bou posted:

Everyone knows now what this is about.

:siren: Warning: Link is Huge Spoilers :siren:

24. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC)
DOWN 14
25 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON ABC

Yes, I'm shocked that this show still exists as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Not sure if I should be sad that Preacher ranked so low, or happy that it recovered so well from Season 2.

Porque no le dos?

I don't know about you but I'm starting to get a little bit tense. Which show have you voted in as your #1 of 2018? Oh, what a mystery it must be for you, friends! I would so dearly love to tell you now but alas, I cannot. Not until we've first taken a look at your #23...

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress you, it's a good show.

This show has always been throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. That rhetorical wall is now so gross and sticky that nothing falls down any more.

Shneak posted:

I’m actively seeking a therapist just so I can talk-scream about the weekly episodes with no judgement.

23. RIVERDALE (CW)
DOWN 12
26 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time

You will never be tired of angsty pretty teenagers! Never!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

I've written about this show so often that I don't know what else I can do.

Lurdiak posted:

Why do I relate so much to a 54-year old washed up celebrity horse alcoholic from California?

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Barf me a river, fartbag!

22. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX)
DOWN 8
26 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

Much like its eponymous title character Bojack might be starting to get a bit long in the tooth but there's still a lot of love out there for it in TV IV.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CeeJee posted:

Doing all they can on a tiny budget with good writing and performances. 

X-O posted:

This season was full of twists I never saw coming.

My favorite time travel show.

21. TRAVELERS (SPACE)
UP 6
26 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW :toot:

The small sci-fi show from Canada continues to punch above its weight and this year it's also your favourite show from outside the States! But we cannot celebrate it for too long, friends, for we're about to enter the top 20...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ten down, a mere twenty to go. We're plugging our way through and now we've come to your top 20 favourite shows of 2018. The big contenders are all still in play and it is all on the line. Will The Good Place hold on to its crown for a second year or will it be unseated by some young upstart? Legion is still out there. So are both of those Amazon shows and so is American Vandal. The picture starts to get a little bit clearer with your #20...

A big improvement over an already-great first season.

EL BROMANCE posted:

First season was great, second season was great. Third season prediction? Also great.

DivisionPost posted:

A goat, a voodoo priestess, and a kidnapping PSA in the style of USA for Africa.

Heart, soul, wit, television production drama, wrestling, and girls doing all the dirty work.

20. GLOW (NETFLIX)
UP 10
28 points, listed 7 times

In Soviet Union, we do not have Favourite Show lists! We are told which shows to watch and we like them. We are not greedy like you capitalist pigs!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Clicks video
Holy gently caress why the hell haven't I watched this show yet :stwoon:

I am so glad that people actually pay attention to those. I almost didn't bother doing them this year!

---

Tiggum posted:

Very violent, very funny.

Lost Season posted:

It's dark humor tuned just right.

HorseRenoir posted:

Crank: The TV Series

bou posted:

The product of a hate-gently caress while on drugs between Crank, Max Payne and Fear&Loathing.

19. HAPPY! (SYFY)
NEW ENTRY
30 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

This show's place in the ranking is sure to make some people... content! See what I did there?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have no idea what you're talking about :angel:

ShakeZula posted:

The show got to go out on a very strong note.

Lurdiak posted:

This show absolutely did not deserve cancellation

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is why we can't have nice things.

achillesforever6 posted:

Pissed off that the Marvel Netflix universe is basically collapsing in on itself.

18. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX)
RE-ENTRY
31 points, listed 6 times

The only one of the Marvel Netflix shows to make your main countdown this year, Daredevil comes in respectably at #18. What will we do once these shows have all been scoured by the Disneypocalypse?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
LOOK I'VE DONE FOUR OF THESE AND IT'S THE FIRST TIME I'VE SCREWED UP CUT ME SOME SLACK MOM

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL TURN THIS POLL AROUND AND GO BACK TO #30 :argh:

---

This is in all senses a great remake.

Lurdiak posted:

An extremely stylish and visually creative romp.

Andrew_1985 posted:

More cannibalism than I expected.

Rarity posted:

#NotMySalem

17. THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
32 points, listed 6 times

#TheCatMustChat :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, we draw ever closer to finding out your #1 show of 2018. There are still so many big shows yet to be revealed. Will one of them be revealed next...

CeeJee posted:

A character unlike anything you've ever seen

bagrada posted:

It immediately caught my focus and attention.

Rocksicles posted:

Everyone on this show loving crushed it.

A brilliant show about two strong, smart, capable women.

16. KILLING EVE (BBC AMERICA)
NEW ENTRY
32 points, listed 5 times

2018 was a big year for women on television with a host of big roles available but perhaps none were bigger than Villanelle. And that means we've reached the halfway point! It's all downhill from here!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Corte posted:

Always worth the wait and leaves me wanting more.

I've been watching and loving this show since it debuted.

achillesforever6 posted:

Keeps fresh despite being nearly 15 years old.

Tenzarin posted:

Old school that's right, like men!

15. THE VENTURE BROS (ADULT SWIM)
RE-ENTRY
33 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ANIMATED SHOW :toot:

The longest running show in your countdown shows that age ain't nothing but a number with a solid #15 place finish.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The top 10 is fast approaching but with so many great shows in the running some are going to fall short. We're still waiting to hear from Cobra Kai. We're still waiting on The Americans. We're still waiting on 12 Monkeys. Will it be one of those to fall at this next hurdle? It's time to find out as we look at your #14...

Rocksicles posted:

Best end to a show in a very long time.

Regy Rusty posted:

I have rarely seen a show have such a satisfying conclusion.

X-O posted:

It knew where it was going from the beginning and it was lucky enough to get there.

ShakeZula posted:

The best time travel story I've ever seen.

14. 12 MONKEYS (SYFY)
UP 24
33 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 2 times

While it couldn't get enough votes for a top 10 spot it's still a fantastic result for 12 Monkeys as it's final season pushes it up to its highest ever placing in your poll!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

A super fun nostalgia trip.

DivisionPost posted:

Could've and maybe should've come off like bullshit hipster revisionist fan fiction.

Rocksicles posted:

Best revival show, period.

It's the reboot to justify reboots.

13. COBRA KAI (YOUTUBE RED)
NEW ENTRY
36 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE

Oh no, the underdog show waxes off just a little too soon to miss out on the top 10. Perhaps it would have had more love if it wasn't on Youtube Red. Still, it's established itself and its network as a genuine contender for the future.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're so close to that illusive top 10 now but still we must wave goodbye to more shows before we can get there. Here's what you voted in at #12...

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a show that remembers that joy is an emotion.

bou posted:

If you're fed up with that broody grimdark poo poo, watch it.

CeeJee posted:

It's not silly, just good character development.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wait, come back! You have to watch this show! 

12. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (CW)
UP 16
37 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON THE CW :toot:

It couldn't quite crack the top 10 but Legends of Tomorrow shows that there's still life in the Arrowverse yet. Praise Beebo!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so we come, friends, to the precipice. The top 10 awaits but for one show it will have to live with the sad fate of falling just short. Will it be Atlanta? Will it be Patriot? Will it be Better Call Saul? There's only one way to find out as we jump into your #11...

adhuin posted:

There's only tragedy and misery in this show.

Senerio posted:

Humanity as a whole will breathe a collective sigh of relief when the show ends.

Tiggum posted:

Only a psychopath could find any joy in it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I’m so happy with this show.

11. LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (NETFLIX)
UP 21
40 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

Friends, I assure you that this is a just result. There is no place in the top 10 for a show of such horror and wickedness, a word here describing the quality of being evil or morally wrong. The final season of this show has already been released but I implore you please do not seek this show out lest you desire to be left with feelings of discontent and deep ambivalence.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t believe even six people could watch something so incredibly upsetting and vile

I bet they're a bunch of dirty cakesniffers!

At last, friends! After our long travels and arduous journeys we reached the promised land of the top 10. From here on out every show can justly claim to have been one of the best shows of the year. But will any of them have the quality to topple The Good Place from its perch at the top of the mountain? We'll find out soon but first here's your #10...

drat near perfect.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would feel wrong for it to be anything else.

ShakeZula posted:

The showrunners absolutely stuck the landing here.

CeeJee posted:

Everyone has a chance for happiness in their futures and they deserved that. 

Fast Luck posted:

RIP communism.

10. THE AMERICANS (FX)
UP 51
43 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 2 times

It's a big return to form as The Americans storms back into the top 10 with its final season with a bigger rise than the costs of private healthcare. Oh capitalism, who won't you exploit? Aho. A ho ho ho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Things are already getting tense in the top 10 and they'll get even tenser when I tell you that this next show missed out on moving up a spot by just one point! But which show could it be? Will it be American Vandal? Will it be The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? Could it even be The Good Place? Here's your #9...

nate fisher posted:

So original.

bagrada posted:

The characters were still great

Fast Luck posted:

They still hit the right tone in some of the dark humor.

ShakeZula posted:

Equal parts hilarious and emotionally devastating.

Escobarbarian posted:

Please join me in praying for a renewal.

Bone dry in the best possible way.

9. PATRIOT (AMAZON)
DOWN 1
45 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

It couldn't quite push forward but Patriot holds on for its second top 10 finish. A worthy result for a very worthy show. Here's hoping it's still around to be eligible for this poll next year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, there are so many great shows still in contention! Oh, how I wish that they could all be #1 but sadly that is not to be. There is only room for one at the top and the rest will have to fall aside much like the show you voted in at #8...

bowmore posted:

The story is just weird and wonderful.

Oasx posted:

Very weird, and I like weird.

fancy stats posted:

It remains very weird and very much fun to look at.

bagrada posted:

The show is quite a trip.

ShakeZula posted:

Also great: the Jon Hamm-narrated interludes on mental illness.

Corte posted:

I honestly loved it and am looking forward to the new season more than any other show.

8. LEGION (FX)
DOWN 6
46 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 1 time

Even with lots of disappointment around its sophomore season Legion still manages a top 10 finish and ensures that Marvel wins the comics on TV war yet again for the 5,853rd year running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There can be no slowing down now, friends! We must keep moving forward as we take on step closer to the end of the line. It's time to find out what you chose to be your #7...

nate fisher posted:

It was a lot darker than it had any right to.

ShakeZula posted:

Willing to go shockingly dark.

DivisionPost posted:

One of the sharpest satires of the Hollywood mindset to come along in years.

Runs the gamut from laugh-out-loud funny to cringe-funny to white-knuckled-terrifying action to sheer melodrama.

Takes what could be a goofy, high-concept plot and finds something raw and human.

fancy stats posted:

Kind of wanting to hang out with the Chechen mob was not a takeaway I expected from a TV show on 2018.

7. BARRY (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
50 points, listed 8 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST NEW SHOW :toot:

With Game of Thrones on hold and Westworld flunking out hard Barry has come in from nowhere to fly the flag for HBO this year. Just don't hang out with the Chechen mob, it's not big and it's not clever.