Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The best TV show I watched in 2018 was probably my rewatch of Twin Peaks: The Return, and the best TV show I watched for the first time in 2018 would probably be Future Man, but there were still some pretty good shows that actually came out this year, too.

10) Castle Rock (Hulu)

This is on here primarily for episode 7, "The Queen," a mind-bending, deeply moving tour-de-force for Sissy Spacek. It towers over the rest of the season, which was very Stephen King-ian in its flaws--a great hook and creepy setup that slowly loses steam as it tries to figure out where to go and how to end. Still, it had some amazing individual pieces, including that episode, the crazy bed-and-breakfast couple, and the prison massacre, even if they don't entirely come together.

9) The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)

Effortlessly charming and beautifully constructed and shot.

8) Wild Wild Country (Netflix)

There were a lot of true crime docs this past year, but only this one really grabbed my attention. It just seemed so crazy for a series of events that I had never heard about. The filmmakers also secured interviews with people on multiple "sides," giving it a more well-rounded perspective that other true crime docs.

7) Patriot (Amazon)

Bone dry in the best possible way.

6) GLOW (Netflix)

A big improvement over an already-great first season. The one episode that's just the show-within-the-show is real good, but the preceding episode set in the hospital was even better. The no-holds-barred argument between Ruth and Debbie was as loving real as it gets and totally worth the simmering tension slowly building between the two.

5) Bojack Horseman (Netflix)

If you're not watching this show you can barf me a river, fartbag!

4) Homecoming (Amazon)

A lovely, paranoid fever dream.

3) American Vandal (Netflix)

gently caress YOU NETFLIX THIS WAS ACTUALLY THE BEST TRUE CRIME DOC AND IT WASN'T EVEN REAL

2) Atlanta (FX)

Every adjective you can use to slap on an advertisement for a TV show, like "Original," "Daring," "Engrossing," etc., unironically apply here in full. The Teddy Perkins episode alone could be an Oscar-winning short film.

1) Barry (HBO)

Takes what could be a goofy, high-concept plot and finds something raw and human lurking amid the hitman hijinks and showbiz satire. The scene with Barry and his Marine bud in the car was the most tense I felt all year, and the final line is both soul-crushing and absolutely hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU