Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Agh, I just decided to give up on finishing The Deuce or watching Barry or Homecoming in time for my list in favor of catching up on Atlanta... but season 2 doesn't drop on Hulu until the 1st :negative:

e: oh poo poo, just saw that the deadline got moved back, hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I’m getting this in at the last possible minute because I had to finish The Deuce and start season 2 of Atlanta to really justifiably make this list at all. Though in the process of creating this list, I realized that I haven’t really watched that much TV this year. Or at least, I haven’t finished much TV this year. I’ll start my list with the stuff I can really only count as having watched this year on a technicality, because of the 31-odd shows I can remember watching this year, there’s only like 12 I would really give any weight to on this list, lest I be forced to put poo poo like The Alienist on here. Also, I limited myself to one anime, because otherwise I’d have to admit I watched a show called Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai. Wait, poo poo. (That show might’ve made my top five if I’d put it on, not gonna lie)

The only honorable mention I care to talk about is Maniac, which I liked but only saw one episode of, so I didn’t really get a chance to see what it was all about.

10. Ugly Delicious
Just a really incredible food docuseries. It really gets into the context of why and where we eat certain foods. This should probably be higher but to be honest this was an absolute last-minute replacement for Daredevil, which I still haven't finished.

9. Altered Carbon
This show was really weird and disjointed and not as good as it should have been, but parts of it had so much potential, and AI Edgar Allen Poe was amazing.

8. American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
This was a bold experiment in structure that didn’t always quite pay off, especially to the extent that it ignored the title character. Still, a fascinating study of a pathological liar and murderer.

7. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The reduced budget hurt and really showed, but this show’s still great.

6. Aggretsuko
This show came out of nowhere and really surprised me. It’s cute and seems slight, but everyone has depth, even the worst people. No one is truly a caricature, even the most cartoonish assholes. It’s something that really helped me out.

5. American Vandal
I was worried about a follow-up to the first season, but they delivered an amazing sophomore season here. It’s shockingly poignant.

4. Better Call Saul
I forgot this initially and had to edit it in, because I'm stupid. Jimmy McGill is the world's most tragic moron, and I hate him and love him.

3. Atlanta
This should absolutely be higher. Alas, I’ve only seen three episodes of this season, and not even “Teddy Perkins,” which I’ve heard so much about. This show is still so out-there but real and lived-in that I can’t believe it.

2. The Deuce
The last two episodes killed me. I have no idea what comes next with the final jump forward for season 3, but I can’t wait.

1. The Good Place
What the gently caress is this show? How does it keep doing what it’s doing? I want to write a whole long diatribe about everything this show does and how great it all is, but I have five minutes left until the deadline and also it’s 3 AM and I’m very loving tired, goddamn. The Good Place is the best sitcom in years. Period.

Arist fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loving forgot I watched Cloak and Dagger, poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not really shocked about Altered Carbon (which I didn't even really want to put on my list) or Ugly Delicious but you philistines need to watch The Deuce and Aggretsuko

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a fun cute thing Rarity!!!! Be glad I didn't put JoJo on there again (or, as mentioned earlier, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In my upcoming thread, Rarity's Top 10 Poll Mistakes, this is definitely at least top seven

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

atlanta or tgp, what's it gonna be

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thought as much, good on tgp for being the first-ever two-time winner

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, let's all celebrate "Altanta" getting all the way to #2