Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
As usual I have a whole lot of shows on my 'to watch' list and a whole lot of not watching them to do, etc etc.

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san (Skull-face Bookseller Honda, S1):

A gay skeleton that works in a bookstore. If this isn’t my brand.

Celebrity Big Brother (US, S1):

It’s difficult enough to produce a good Big Brother season nowadays but to get the Celebrity, Big Brother Canada 6, and Big Brother 20 hat trick in the same year is a miracle. I love my trashy reality TV competition shows and CBB was a new take with a surprisingly competitive cast and a schedule that doesn’t make you feel like a burned-out husk of a human by the finale.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (S2):

I genuinely thought season one was bad. I don’t know what clicked in my head but now I get it. The writing, the style, the showmanship. S2 came closer to capturing the essence of these terrible no good books. Also, Carmelita Spats is the most perfect casting decision made this year.

Insecure (S3):

The major downside of an Insecure season is that it takes forever for 8 episodes to come out and then nothing really happens. It’s funny but it dangles character development over its viewers for over three years. I just want to see Issa not be a kinda terrible person anymore!!

Attack on Titan (S4):

Shoutout to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for at least telling us ahead of time that half the season would actually air in a year. One of the most boring manga arcs was adapted real well only a mere 459 years after it was written, and it was all worth it for this gif.

Schitt's Creek (S4):

I binged this entire show in January during the week where I had incredibly severe bronchitis. A horrible idea because I was laughing so hard but I powered through since it’s that good. Y’all sleeping on this, and Canadian TV in general. I would die for Catherine O’Hara.

Survivor (S36, S37):

Ghost Island sure did… happen… but what’s putting Survivor on the list is David vs. Goliath. Season 37 and the most recent season is one of my favourites ever. The theme wasn’t so ham-fisted and was relevant until the end, the cast were a perfect blend of competitive and petty without being unlikeable or annoying, the advantages didn’t weigh down the game. Survivor’s why I come to TVIV.

RuPaul's Drag Race (AS3, S10, AS4):

Is there an award for ‘show that did the absolute most in 2018?’ Drag Race would win that easily. 3 seasons and a Christmas special in one year that gave us BenDeLaCreme winning every challenge and then eliminating herself cause she was bored and the return of Jasmine Masters to HD television. It’s hard to be mad at drag becoming mainstream.

Westworld (S2):

Ironically this season was at its best when it went away from Westworld, both literally and figuratively. The episode of Maeve in Shogun World and Akecheta at the edge of a primordial Westworld were the standouts this season beyond the narrative of “let’s find the maze/cradle/forge/whateverthefuck." Regardless I still really enjoy this show.

Riverdale (S2, S3:)

In 2018 I decided not to watch poo poo that would bum me out and instead have fun. Riverdale continues to excel at that. I’m actively seeking a therapist just so I can talk-scream about the weekly episodes with no judgement. If you’re looking for a show in the genre of ‘hot 30 year olds playing high school sophomores who happen to never really do homework or even sleep and they have an unlimited gas tank or at the very least a bomb rear end public transit system that works at midnight so they can show up in the most random of places’ then this is the show for you. Come for the gratuitous shirtless scenes and stay for the dozen episode recap podcasts that try to grapple the 42-minute fever dream we all share on a weekly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU