Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
10: Travelers
Still one of the smartest shows on TV, doing all they can on a tiny budget with good writing and performances.

9: The 100.
Season 5 was a return to form after two mediocre seasons. A show like this is as good as its villains and Ivana Milicevic and William Miller were fantastic as Diyoza and McCreary. Can't wait for season 6.

8: Altered Carbon.
I'm really happy an ambitious show like this got made and feel obliged to mention it. Sure, a lot of things could have been better but you can't make such a future world perfect on a TV budget. Kovacs getting out of the VR torture place was the biggest gently caress Yeah scene of the year for me.

7: The Terror
Terrifying even before the horror monster shows up, the gradual descent into madness and death of the crews is a real nightmare to see. You just want to reach through the screen and knock some sense into them to run the gently caress away from those ships and the idiots who command them.

6: Riverdale
My weekly dose of insanity and mayhem. This show defies description but I'm here for it with the help of the Sex Archie podcast to help me out to figure out what the gently caress I just watched and to make sure it was not all a dream.

5: The Expanse
Given a new life by Amazon, this would have been a great final season as it upped the ante with the stakes, the space fights and the Avasarala swearing. Both Elizabeth Mitchell and David Strathairn were fantastic additions to the already great cast and I hope to see them again.

4: The Americans
So many great shows have dropped the ball in coming up with a satisfying ending, a victim of their own ambitions in setting up things and not being able to finish them all. And here, the Americans pulls it off in a way that was unexpected given its grim storylines. No one gets a happy ending by any stretch but at the same time everyone has a chance for happiness in their futures and they deserved that.

3: Killing Eve
Jodie Comer is just astonishingly good as a character unlike anything you've ever seen. I almost wished it was not Sandra Oh starring too who will take a bunch of awards that should have been Comer's to win. Oh's Eve is great but Villanelle is just on another level in every way. Also worthy of mentioning is David Haig who seems like another Steve Fleming / Inspector Grim type but veers completely in another, delightful direction.

2: Legends of Tomorrow
Ah, the Time Idiots. How far we've come since the time of the Hawks and Rip Hunter stinking up the ship. It's a supremely silly show with a better grasp of its characters then any other superhero show at the moment. So you can get scenes where Matt Ryan's Constantine has a heart felt conversation with a cat about how his life is so screwed up even a time machine cannot fix it. And it's not silly, just good character development.

1: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
From the very first scene this just bursts out of the TV on a quality level unlike anything else. Every take seems to last for 5 minutes with a thousand lines of dialogue and the camera floating through everything like that shot from Goodfellas. They actually have the same steadicam operator as Scorsese on the show. Sets, costumes, everything is so marvelous I wanted it to go on forever. Rachel Brosnahan continues to amaze while everyone else seems to get a little more to do then last season. The season is kind of all over the place and everyone will have things they believe should have taken up less time (for me that would be Paris and Abe at work) so other things could have had more (Susie and the thugs, the department store) to make it even better. But none of that changes the sheer quality that Mrs. Maisel brings, the best show of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU