Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Travellers hasn't aired yet this year.

It does in a few hours. That’s why I’m holding my list till next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honorable Mention: Cloak and Dagger, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Cobra Kai, Shameless, Daredevil, The Americans, Agents of SHIELD, Ozark

10 - The Good Place (NBC): The best network sitcom in I don't know how many years. A pure joy to watch every week.

9 - No Activity (CBS All Access): Not sure how a show where pretty much nothing happens and 97% of the runtime is devoted to scenes of two people talking is funnier than everything else out there, but here we are. Cristin Milioti and Jason Mantzoukas stole the show this season and Jessica Alba has a guest appearance that must be seen to be believed.

8 - Killjoys (Syfy): Loved how the show kicked into a higher gear knowing that it's wrapping up next season. Loved it even more how they blew up the status quo completely heading into that final season.

7 - Waco (Paramount Network): Taylor Kitsch completely blew me away with his performance in this show. Never been a big fan of his before but this one changed that. He's unreal. And Michael Shannon is here doing very Un-Michael Shannon things like acting rational and calm. Weird. But good!

6 - Counterpart (Starz): Love everything about this show from the premise to design to shooting style and of course the performances. What's better than one JK Simmons? More than one JK Simmons!

5 - Vikings (History): Just keeps on growing in scale so much as it goes on that I'm not sure where it can logistically go from here. They managed to keep on just fine after the death of a main character integral to the show and have come out looking great. Can't wait to see where this one takes us next

4 - Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon): Every bit as good as the first season. Deserves all the awards it has won and probably will still win.

3 - Condor (Audience Network): This is a little known show that is based on the same source material as the Robert Redford film 3 Days of the Condor. Political Thrillers are my favorite genre of anything and the previously mentioned film is one of my favorites. This series did it proud and left me wanting many more seasons. Looks like I'll get at least one, and hopefully more.

2 - Travelers (Netflix): Any other year and this season of Travelers would have easily been my number one pick. But we'll get to that in a minute. This season was full of twists I never saw coming. But at the heart of that were the great characters this show was built on. This is not a flashy scifi show, there's really not much that most people would associate with scifi. It's first and foremost about the characters and the relationships and that's what makes it great. But when it does get around to the actual mythology of the show it nails it. Like in the season finale that could have been one of the better series finales of any scifi show ever. But even then it still wouldn't have been the best series finale of the year as that is reserved for...

1 - 12 Monkeys (Syfy): What else can I say about this show? I think it might be my favorite scifi show of all time. Probably the best use of time travel I've ever seen any medium. And I'm going to throw out the scifi qualifier with this next one: Possibly one of the greatest and most satisfying series finales ever. I'm not sure how you can send a show like this off better. So many times, especially with genre shows, they fail to stick the landing and leave you underwhelmed. So many shows will tell you they have their story in hand and ending ready but obviously don't This one wasn't playing that game. It knew where it was going from the beginning and it was lucky enough to get there. Even though I felt like maybe this show never really got the eyes it deserved I'm happy that Syfy let them wrap it up on their terms.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 31, 2018