Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I actually had a really hard time narrowing down my list. This was a good year for TV. Here goes:

10. GLOW

One of my favorite new shows from last year came back with a strong sophomore season. There was a lot of competition for the 10 spot, but ultimately the episode presented as a regular episode of the show-within-a-show put GLOW over the top.

9. Better Call Saul

If this were just the Jimmy McGill Show it would rank higher on my list. Odenkirk and his supporting cast are phenomenal and the slow transformation into Saul Goodman has been very compelling so far. However, the Mike part of the plot is no longer carrying its weight, and at this point is actively bringing the show down in my opinion. Fortunately the Jimmy stuff is so good that it mostly makes up for it.

8. American Vandal

The first season was a pleasant surprise that landed on my list last year, but I was wary of their ability to follow it up. As it turns out, despite the omnipresent poop jokes, they did so by leaning away from the comedy angle to present a genuinely intriguing mystery and some thoughtful commentary on the pitfalls of growing up in the age of social media.

7. Daredevil

I never had the same problem with Daredevil Season 2 as many others did, so the show wasn't really in need of a “return to form” in my estimation. That being said, this season was probably the best Marvel Netflix season since the first Jessica Jones. I'm sad we won't be getting any more DD, but at least the show got to go out on a very strong note.

6. Barry

I didn't actually watch this until well after its initial airing, as part of my end-of-year push to knock some shows off my To-Watch list. And boy I'm glad I did, because this show is something special. Often as hilarious as you would expect given the cast, but also willing to go shockingly dark and pull no punches with regard to Barry's line of work.

5. Legion

Didn't quite match the brilliant weirdness of the first season, but I loved the increased characterization of the Shadow King, and even 80% Legion is one of the most interesting shows on TV. Also great: the Jon Hamm-narrated interludes on mental illness.

4. 12 Monkeys

Quite simply the best time travel story I've ever seen, and a final season that had a ton of fun with the mechanics of the premise.

3. The Expanse

One of the best examples of sci-fi world-building, coupled with some great performances and a great story. Plus they found a way to bring Miller back, which was just icing on the cake.

2. The Americans

Final seasons are always hard, especially in a show like this where real-life history has always cast a pall over the characters and their likely fates. That being said, the showrunners absolutely stuck the landing here. The whole season was great, and the finale in particular stands as one of the best series finales of all time

1. Patriot

Equal parts hilarious and emotionally devastating, Patriot somehow found a new gear in its second season. The “hanging out in Paris” episode is probably my choice for best individual TV episode of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU