Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta for 1 or you’re all monsters. Also I’d be surprised if Good Place wins again given what a slump the first half of s3 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 is good, yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine will be very late as usual because Escape at Dannemora doesn’t finish until the 30th and if the rest of the season is as good as the latest episode there’s a possibility it could make it in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, here’s my #30-10:

30. Sorry For Your Loss
29. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
28. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
27. Dear White People
26. Westworld
25. The Haunting of Hill House
24. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
23. Superstore
22. Homecoming
21. Brockmire
20. The Deuce
19. American Vandal
18. Lodge 49
17. Succession
16. Killing Eve
15. Adventure Time
14. GLOW
13. BoJack Horseman
12. Sharp Objects
11. Kidding

and here’s my final list:

10. Pose: Probably my favourite Ryan Murphy show, this mixed his outlandish style with a lot of soul and great performances. The ball sequences are so much fun.

09. High Maintenance: Mixed the excellent short stories of the first season with more personal stuff about the lead character and the creators’ real life relationship which fleshed out the show perfectly. Plus it was still as funny and strange as ever.

08. The Good Place: The early parts of season 3 faltered at times, but when the show is on, it’s still one of the best sitcoms on the air, which still finds time to insert intriguing philosophical concepts among the laughs. Plus, that latest episode probably bumped it up a couple of places by itself. D’Arcy Carden is amazing.

07. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Although some issues brought it down a little from the first season, the charm this season brings is still completely off the chain, and Rachel Brosnahan still gives one of the best performances in a long time. Let’s can Joel from now on please though

06. Big Mouth: I liked but didn’t love Nick Kroll’s puberty cartoon in the first season, so it was an excellent surprise to see it up its game so much this year. The gross-out humour and character arcs this season far exceeded last year, while David Thewlis as the Shame Wizard is an all-time great character.

05. Barry: Although some of the early episodes are a bit tepid, this show soon corrects itself with a fantastic darkly comic tone about the disappointment of trying to make it in LA and some utterly incredibly performances, especially from Bill Hader, who made me cry twice and totally deserved his Emmy. Plus as mentioned above NoHo Hank is incredible.

04. My Brilliant Friend: My favourite thing HBO have done in a few years, this Italian-language series is a wonderful, evocative illustration of growing up in its era, and the close friendship that bonds two girls. The cinematography and actors do an incredible job of translating the beautiful prose to a visual medium.

03. Better Call Saul: This is always such a hard show to place because it really is a show of two halves, with the Jimmy/lawyer side of a much higher quality than the Mike/criminal side. Still, this year the Jimmy side was better than ever and absolutely heartbreaking, while the Mike side was sometimes dull but made up for it with an extremely emotional finale. But that Jimmy side was seriously insane. Odenkirk gave us easily his best performance ever as Jimmy struggled without his main tether to morality, while Rhea Seehorn went from strength to strength as Kim, finding it harder and harder to stomach the events around her. The best season yet of maybe the best prequel ever.

02. Patriot: The most underrated-except-for-here show on TV returned for an incredible second season that ramped up the absurdism and darkness while still having strong moments for its wide cast of colourful characters and introducing new ones who were just as entertaining. Steven Conrad wrote and directed every episode solo with some of the tightest control and most memorable, amusing-yet-mournful set-pieces TV has ever seen. Please join me in praying for a renewal.

01. Atlanta: Season 1 was already pretty mind-blowing, but Robbin’ Season improved upon it in every way, providing a platform for some of the most memorable and atmospheric TV episodes in years while also having a strong season arc and being as bizarre and beautifully-shot as anything on the platform probably ever. Donald Glover and crew sharpened their skills, mixing classic sitcom scripting and incredible dramatic chops while also learning to lean on their greatest performer, Brian Tyree Henry (who has had a deservedly stupendous year) as Paper Boi. And of course, there’s Teddy Perkins, a hysterical and terrifying episode that will he talked about for a long time, and is shot to perfection by the show’s secret weapon, the impeccable Hiro Murai. It’s one of the only shows in recent years that can reasonably lay claim to being truly unique, especially cinematically, and I hope it gets all the freedom it needs to keep delivering truly remarkable and thoughtful TV.

Thanks so much for reading or scrolling through my list! As a prize, here’s the 10 shows I thought really stank this year (sorry, fans!)

01. Ghosted
02. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
03. Arrested Development
04. The Mayor
05. Legion
06. Stan Against Evil
07. Ozark
08. Roseanne
09. The Romanoffs
10. This Is Us

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s a great list. I really wanna watch Pera but there still aren’t any subtitles for it :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno that’s a pretty great list I think you should count it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man how had I not heard of Black Earth Rising until this thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope Rarity is ok :ohdear:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sharp Objects, Big Mouth, The Deuce, and Homecoming all came way lower than I expected.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching B99 and while I still wouldn’t put it top-tier with Community or Parks or whatever it’s still reliably funny and has a great cast, plus it’s just super heartwarming and deals with social issues well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doc Who was cool this year. Like, not especially exciting on an episode-to-episode basis, but I liked the character work and the turn away from annoying smug Moffat nonsense

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw my first ever episode of this show about a week ago and it was about the most reality TV thing to ever reality TV

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There were some seriously fantastic individual episodes this season and it was impeccably-made as always but the overall arcs were so drat yikes!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hilda was great! It’s very low-stakes and cute and likeable. Definitely worth a watch.

Terror is the one show from 2018 I’m most sad to have not gotten around to yet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BoJack still good as hell. They gotta run out of material sometime though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that was the exact video I was hoping it would be

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy and Daredevil were both pretty cool. Sucks that DD got cancelled but it wrapped up well. Oops at the mistake I guess!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cannot even believe this grievous error

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m very happy for all the fans of this bad show that it made it this high!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Killing Eve was real good! Some stuff in the second half stopped it from making my top 10 but the writing and performances from the two leads was excellent

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cobra Kai was way better than I expected, and is definitely worth checking out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe even six people could watch something so incredibly upsetting and vile

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
good job, the americans, which I still have not seen past the second season of

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely shoulda counted Looten Plunder’s list :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeahhh!! Barry was so excellent, and Hader is completely devastating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saul still fantastic as ever. That final episode still sticks with me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I did not see that one coming

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the suspense omg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta was amazing!!!!! Just incredibly funny while also being profound and utterly bizarre with the best cinematography on TV. GOAT show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
deffo should have counted Looten Plunder’s list

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atlanta can be a very different show from episode to episode, and the first one is kinda more generic ‘let’s sell this pilot’ and it improves a lot after that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that poo poo was a LANDSLIDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much Rarity, these are always so enjoyable!!! Especially for pulling double duty with this and the one in Games as well. Do you dare venture into CD next year?