Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rarity posted:

Fair point. I'm going to move the deadline on 6th Jan 00:00 PST. Any later and I'll be too busy with work to get everything written up for the countdown.

Thanks Rarity, I definitely like pushing it to early January so I have a little more time to try to squeeze in a couple shows. Looking at my list there are too many shows I'm certain could make the top 10 that I just haven't had the time to get around to. Excited to see the results and find some gems like I always do.

Levin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Welp another year in the bag and I'm sure as gently caress not any wiser. Thanks again Rarity for being the hero we need but don't deserve. I wish I could provide a better informed list but there are a lot of shows I know could make the cut that I just wasn't able to get to yet such as: Patriot (loving shameful I know), Happy, The Americans, GLOW, Barry, Riverdale and The Deuce. I'm a bad TV watcher.

Honourable mentions: Star vs the Forces of Evil, Maniac, Altered Carbon, Disenchantment, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Brockmire, and Letterkenny.

11. Joe Pera Talks With You - Adult Swim
"So you're telling us that there has been an ongoing war in North America for nearly 60 years between Canadian humans and rats and nobody's even talking about it...we have to do the musical about this, gently caress Hello Dolly."
This show started out as a pair of specials titled Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfHP5LHVNY) and Joe Pera Helps You Find the Perfect Christmas Tree. The series was created by and stars Joe Pera as a choir teacher for a school in Michigan. It's really hard to pin down or describe the show as there's nothing else quite like it. It follows the mundane day to day experiences of his character but does so in a thoughtful, funny and heart warming way. The highlight episode of the first season is when he takes over the announcements at his church to tell them about the transformative experience he had discovering of the song Baba O'Riley by The Who.

10. Big Mouth - Netflix
"That, was, beautiful, no notes!"
Nick Kroll's absurd romp through adolescence maintained form in it's sophomore season. With a stellar cast of voice actors and some surprisingly catchy music sequences what's not to love about this show? Maya Rudolph as the Hormone Monstress continues to be the stand out character for me.

9. Bojack Horseman - Netflix
"Hello, I am Bojack Horseman, obviously you know who I am..."
I wish i found Bojack less relatable because I don't like what that says about me but I have to give the show credit for making me think about that and become invested in the character. The show continues to set itself apart from other animated series by pushing the boundaries with the subject matter they explore and episode formats they try such as Free Churro this year.

8. The Good Place - NBC
"Oh dip"
I had concerns about the show's ability to continue to reinvent itself and keep up the quality from the first two seasons. While there were episodes I didn't enjoy as much I think it finished strong and I'm excited for season 4. I only wish we could have gotten a Janet version of Michael!

7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - FXX
"Shh, shh, shhhh. It doesn't matter. It's okay, you're in the Ranger Rover now, All is well."
I don't get it, thirteen seasons and the gang continues to knock it out of the park. They gave us the best response to all-female reboots AND another Boggs contest, amazing! I honestly can't pick a favourite episode from the new season. I was impressed with Rob McElhenney's physical transformation and think the performance in the finale was incredible.

6. High Maintenance - HBO
"You wanna hit this?" "Yeah"
A strong second showing for a show I could have just written off as a stoner comedy. This is one of the most beautifully shot and sincere series currently airing. All the stories they tell feel intimate and personal. I was excited for them to go deeper into the character of The Guy this season and look forward to the next. Bonus fact, Ben Sinclair's cameo in Maniac is great!

5. Animals. - HBO
"You're seriously a Sandler man over a Carey man?...Who are you?"
A criminally overlooked show that went out with a bang this year! While I'm sad to see it go I think it did a great job putting an exclamation mark on the series. It was fun to see them bring human Phil and Mike into the show. All the guest cameos and voices were awesome. I think the trial episode begging the question who is better, Adam Sandler or Jim Carey, was spectacular.

4. The Venture Bros. - Adult Swim
"Oh nightly nurse Cindy Murray Abrams you are my Waterloo"
Always worth the wait and leaves me wanting more. I love that the show never seems to rest on its laurels. Each season builds on the last and never feels formulaic.

3. Westworld - HBO
"It's been a long time Will...longer than we thought."
I went in believing it wasn't possible for the second season to live up to the first and while I feel that was the case I still really enjoyed it for the most part. The visuals, performances and music are what really sets it apart.

2. Atlanta - FX
"Every now and again, people just want to have a good time."
Masterpiece, I honestly can't think of a single flaw. It feels subversive while also telling hard truths. Hiro Murai might be the best director of his generation. This show led me to one of my favourite movies of the year starring Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You!

1. Legion - FX
"I am, I am Superman, and I know what's happening..."
Dan Stevens is one of the most talented actors working in television today. I recall a lot of people being critical of how the season ended but I honestly loved it and am looking forward to the new season more than any other show. The soundtrack kicks loving rear end and they do a great job with all the covers. The dance sequences and other scenes used to animate or illustrate David and Farouk's powers are brilliant. I'm really sad to see Jermaine Clement and Jean Smart go but I think Navid Negahban was an amazing addition to the cast.

Levin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 5, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Great work as always Rarity! I'm only sorry I wasn't able to follow the countdown and chime in as the posts were flying. I'm content with where everything landed and have an impossibly large list of new shows to tackle. Thanks to all those who participated and hope you see you next year.